Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: columbia - interview(RD), UCLA- interview (rd 2), USC- interview(rd 2), oxford- interview (rd 2), cambridge- waitlist (rd 3), london b-school- ding w/out interview(rd 2), yale (rd 2)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 14:44
This post received
KUDOS
been following this all along but this is my first post for CBS. I just heard back from them today and i got an interview!!! i am excited to say the least and this should give out hope to those of you still waiting. :-D

i applied on 1/6 as well but had assumed a ding (even though i was still constantly refreshing my email every 5 min) until i got an email that my application status had changed and when i logged in w/ my heart beating it said that i had been invited to interview and they would contact me w/in 24 hrs.

I have seen that columbia still has a low acceptance rate even for those ppl that receive interviews (under 50% whereas most schools are btwn 50-75%) but wtvr, i'm just excited to get an interview!

keep your hopes up, maybe something will come in soon!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: columbia - interview(RD), UCLA- interview (rd 2), USC- interview(rd 2), oxford- interview (rd 2), cambridge- waitlist (rd 3), london b-school- ding w/out interview(rd 2), yale (rd 2)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
looks like 36% get interviewed and 15% get in... meaning a little less than half the ppl interviewed get in unless there's something i'm not taking into acct, like some applicants who received interviews withdrawing their application if they get in elsewhere, although i would imagine that not many ppl withdraw their applications from columbia b/c there are few schools much better or more centrally located. anyways, u can see the stats here:

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... umbia.html

and congrats on the interview!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
SCBooth wrote:
Has anyone else submitted on 1/6 or before, and not been invited for an interview or dinged. I submitted at 11:30 on 1/6, and my application went under review about a week later. Are there any conclusions that I can draw from this?

I am in a similar situation although I submitted on 1/4. You and I are not the only ones, gkumar has also asked your same question several times. Some people have gone so far as to call the admissions office and ask what's going on. The reported answer: "sit tight".

My belief is that our applications are in exactly the state they say they are: "Under Review". That means that we are neither interviewed nor rejected and, until we are, any inferences about the process will be entirely speculation. None of us have ever been on the admissions committee and none of us actually know the magic incantations required to support the entire process. Really our only information is from Columbia's website itself:

Quote:
Columbia Business School uses a rolling admissions process. Applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received, and decisions can be rendered at any point during the review period.

Quote:
Review Period: Class of 2012: September 2010 Enrollment — International Applicants
Review Period Begins: January 6, 2010
Decision Period: Within 12 weeks

Quote:
Invitations may be extended at any point in the application review process. The Admissions Office will contact you if you are selected for an interview.

Based on this information, your and my experiences are completely normal and expected. Yes, being in limbo sucks but it's certainly not unexpected and it's far better than a confirmed "ding". Best of luck to us and to all of the other applicants in a similar situation.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 10:16
This post received
KUDOS
Columbia is just classy.

Last edited by bwizzle on 14 Apr 2010, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
activity seems to have stopped around 2/19...so MY theory (maybe just wishful thinking given my interview feedback was in shortly before then) is that they've slowed down to see what deposits they get on 3/4 (oh, that's today...) before continuing to extend offers / waitlist spots.

... i hope.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 195 [1] , given: 18

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
Reeve: You did apply late. Your chances are slim, but you still have chances.

CBS is rolling admissions. It now has very few spots left. But it does have spots left.

Be patient.

Furthermore, after h/s/w release their notices in a few weeks, some people will resign their spots in CBS.

Please kudos if my post helps.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
I'm IN at Columbia! Sweet!

Interview Invite: Early Feb.
Interview: Mid-Feb.
Interview Complete: 2/15
Accepted!: 3/8

For the curiouser, my profile here.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 16:57
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
there is hope...

submitted 12/22
interviewed 2/1
interview complete 2/4
acceptance 3/10 (yesterday)

M/740/4 yrs investment management, 1 year corporate finance/ 27 years old
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
Guys,

I am relatively new to this website and have been following the CBS thread for few days. I am happy to inform you that I got a call for Columbia interview yesterday. At the same time, I am really sorry to hear dings for other folks. I have few dings of my own.

I could really use some help from you guys in terms of interview preparation. Can you please share with me any links where I can get a really good information on Columbia interview. Is there a separate post on Gmatclub where they discuss the interview process and experience. I did some basic google search and did get some good info. But, you folks seem very well versed in this area.

I would really appreciate any help, tips, links etc. you may have regarding interview preparation.

Thanks a lot,
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 37

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
cheetahfish wrote:
Just got my acceptance email! It says 'a decision has been rendered', and then you log on to see what it is.
Applied 1/6, went under review 1/8, interviewed on 3/2. Good luck to everyone!

Awesome dude! Congrats! You're really killing it .. Haas n Columbia eh?
What's it gonna be?

Pray for the rest of us poor souls still awaiting decisions..
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
I thought so because Fridays and Mondyas have been teh businest days if I'm not mistaken. So Bschoolpanda, did you go to campus today?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
our 2nd GMATClub NYC meetup is this wednesday: nyc-meet-up-wed-4-7-7pm-the-dove-91753.html

hope to see some of you guys there

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry.

Is your entrance dependent on getting a higher score? What will you need to get to get in? Or did they say, just retake it, and we will reconsider your new score. How many times have you taken it?

Also, are you looking to get into a quantitative position? If so, that could be another reason.

kombz wrote:
Moss wrote:
kombz wrote:
I just got accepted on condition that I re-take the GMAT! Anyone in the same boat?? This sucks!

Yeah I've never head of this either -- what was your score?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 14:57
This post received
KUDOS
Guys,
Admissions called and told me that I am admitted regardless of the new score. They said that based on my other scores, they are positive I can do better so I should re-take it. I guess they want CBS average GMAT score to remain high. I hvae no problem with that, I guess. Huge sigh of relief :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 15:00
This post received
KUDOS
kombz wrote:
Guys,
Admissions called and told me that I am admitted regardless of the new score. They said that based on my other scores, they are positive I can do better so I should re-take it. I guess they want CBS average GMAT score to remain high. I hvae no problem with that, I guess. Huge sigh of relief :)

why is CBS so shady about yield/scores and all that!

Well regardless, congrats :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
I hate that deadlines are quickly approaching to let other schools know while we wait. I just want to make a decision and move on but this is just lingering. If I don't hear by next Monday, I'm going to have to choose absent of their decision since I have 4/15 deadlines. By default of waiting too long, it won't even be a choice. I just feel bad for the people who helped me like my recommenders who put in a lot of work to get my application as polished as possible but then you never hear the result until its too late.

I'd rather get dinged in a timely fashion than be accepted too late to even consider the school.

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
Same. I am so ready to move on! I've been contemplating quitting my job and doing something else for a year, but it'd kind of nice having the income....
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
KBCalifornia wrote:
2012mbahopeful wrote:
Thanks kombz...yeah, this wait sucks

another day passes!

....and another :sleep
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED) [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
SerialAcquirer - The later it got in the application season, the longer it has taken for applicants to hear back. Many people didn't get a final decision for +4 weeks after their interview went complete. I wouldn't hassle the admissions committee by checking up on your application when it has only been 2 weeks - they're just going to tell you to wait.
Re: Calling All 2010 CBS Applicants (MERGED)   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2010, 08:48