Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 196
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 17:15
Told you not to worry! :)



hypermeganet wrote:
Invite at 6:45 EST

_________________


F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Jun 2009
Posts: 163
Location: San Francisco
Schools: R1: Stanford, Booth, Stern; R2: Columbia, Anderson, McCombs, Marshall
WE 1: 4 years, corporate event planning
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 17:28
Nothing here still.... SF-based.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 08:34
Hey everyone,

I submitted my application on January 15th. It seems like most invites have already gone out. Is this the point where I hang up my USC hopes?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2009
Posts: 146
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 08:42
officialstuff wrote:
Hey everyone,

I submitted my application on January 15th. It seems like most invites have already gone out. Is this the point where I hang up my USC hopes?


I wouldn't say that, at all. It looks like they are just beginning the 2nd round, non-local invites. I doubt they even looked at international applicants yet!

So, unless you're an LA native, I wouldn't worry.

_________________

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 08:50
Thank you, hypermeganet, from the bottom of my overtaxed, acid-refluxing heart.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 22
Schools: columbia - interview(RD), UCLA- interview (rd 2), USC- interview(rd 2), oxford- interview (rd 2), cambridge- waitlist (rd 3), london b-school- ding w/out interview(rd 2), yale (rd 2)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 00:37
just curious if anyone has applied to both usc and ucla and has usc as their #1 choice between the two? It would seem that ucla is a better choice (higher ranked and much cheaper) but i have heard that for LA/socal, usc has better alum.... thoughts?

i've had interviews at both and didn't really feel that one was better than the other. both ppl i met with were bright and the campuses were both beautiful. although i guess all things being equal i'd choose ucla just b/c of the $$.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 196
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 00:53
If you want to stay in LA, it is a much easier decision as USC >>> UCLA in LA.

If you want to start your career elsewhere (other parts of CA, other states, countries) then UCLA >>> USC.





kma682 wrote:
just curious if anyone has applied to both usc and ucla and has usc as their #1 choice between the two? It would seem that ucla is a better choice (higher ranked and much cheaper) but i have heard that for LA/socal, usc has better alum.... thoughts?

i've had interviews at both and didn't really feel that one was better than the other. both ppl i met with were bright and the campuses were both beautiful. although i guess all things being equal i'd choose ucla just b/c of the $$.

_________________


F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 22
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 14:41
R2 still waiting for interview invite or ding...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:06
dito... what is a ding?
Oh, living in Orange County.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 196
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:07
Ding = denied/rejection



jessicsd wrote:
dito... what is a ding?
Oh, living in Orange County.

_________________


F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 108
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:26
As a former Bruin it pains me to concede the fact that USC is far better in SoCal because of the alumni network. If Entrepreneurship/Entertainment is your thing, then USC blows UCLA out of the water. However, if you want to work in finance or MC outside of Los Angeles, I would argue that UCLA has a noticeable edge, definitely in NYC, and even in SF.

The cultures are a little different as well with UCLA admissions more focused on creating team players, while USC is focused on creating leaders. It's similar to the difference between schools such as Kellogg/Tuck (emphasis on team players) and Harvard/LBS (emphasis on leaders).

I understand where you are coming from on the money front. Historically, USC is known to be pretty generous with regards to financial aid.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:38
This waiting sucks. I can almost feel myself getting dinged. I wish they'd tell you why you didn't get in.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:45
I also haven't heard anything from SC...and am ready to admit defeat.

I had a 690 GMAT / 3.9 GPA (from USC as an undergrad) and have helped organize and/or participated in a number of USC clubs and events since graduating from there 5 years ago. I still live in So Cal...I just can't believe I didn't get in with those qualifications...stunned.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 196
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:51
What has your work experience entailed over those 5 years?

Did you only apply to USC? Any other options/interviews?

Don't lose out hope b/c interviews should still be trickling out for USC until mid March.




SoCaliDude wrote:
I also haven't heard anything from SC...and am ready to admit defeat.

I had a 690 GMAT / 3.9 GPA (from USC as an undergrad) and have helped organize and/or participated in a number of USC clubs and events since graduating from there 5 years ago. I still live in So Cal...I just can't believe I didn't get in with those qualifications...stunned.

_________________


F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 108
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:55
I must say that's shocking you didn't at least get an interview with those credentials! Are you from an overrepresented industry? It's not too late in the game, so don't lose hope! Did you apply to UCLA or too much Trojan pride?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:56
@ cyrez8: Thanks...I've worked in commercial real estate for 5 years...I thought that would count as legit experience. Also applied to UCLA and had my interview yesterday morning. I thought between the two schools, USC would be the "shoe in" and UCLA would be the "long shot."

@ JoeMahmah: I've got Trojan pride for sure :) But no so much that I wouldn't trade "jerseys"
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 196
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 16:00
Definitely interesting considering you received a UCLA interview.

However, also remember that USC accepts 3% of applicants without an interview (one of the few schools that still accepts applicants without interviews).

I'd be pretty shocked if you didn't land an invite at USC over the next couple weeks or even just outright accepted since USC has an amazing real estate mba program as well.




SoCaliDude wrote:
@ cyrez8: Thanks...I've worked in commercial real estate for 5 years...I thought that would count as legit experience. Also applied to UCLA and had my interview yesterday morning. I thought between the two schools, USC would be the "shoe in" and UCLA would be the "long shot."

@ JoeMahmah: I've got Trojan pride for sure :) But no so much that I wouldn't trade "jerseys"

_________________


F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Posts: 73
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 16:50
Has anyone compiled a list of questions for an SC interview or can you post the questions that you were asked? There doesn't seem to be much recent feedback.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 17:53
JoeMahmah wrote:
As a former Bruin it pains me to concede the fact that USC is far better in SoCal because of the alumni network. If Entrepreneurship/Entertainment is your thing, then USC blows UCLA out of the water. However, if you want to work in finance or MC outside of Los Angeles, I would argue that UCLA has a noticeable edge, definitely in NYC, and even in SF.

The cultures are a little different as well with UCLA admissions more focused on creating team players, while USC is focused on creating leaders. It's similar to the difference between schools such as Kellogg/Tuck (emphasis on team players) and Harvard/LBS (emphasis on leaders).

I understand where you are coming from on the money front. Historically, USC is known to be pretty generous with regards to financial aid.


How about for Finance in SoCal? What are the chances for getting into Investment Banking in the LA area coming out of USC? I am a career switcher into Finance, so I would probably target second tier banks or boutiques in the LA area. Do many Trojans get Associate positions at these smaller banks? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 108
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 18:17
I had the chance to work at a one of the prestigious LA sweatshops as well as at a middle-market regional chop shop. Basically, USC alums (the head of the chop shop was a USC alum) can help you out to some degree at the smaller firms such as Wedbush, Greif & co, etc. If you are looking at bulge brackets in LA in this economy it will be tough.
Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2010, 18:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants albyman32 471 23 Nov 2009, 15:05
49 Experts publish their posts in the topic USC Marshall 2012 - Calling All Applicants ebonn101 691 28 Aug 2011, 10:46
32 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! BeautifulMind2011 813 11 Sep 2010, 21:56
2 Calling All 2009 USC-Marshall Applicants Omne 51 03 Jun 2008, 16:27
3 Calling all USC Marshall Fall 2008 Applicants rampup82 101 08 Nov 2007, 12:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  24    Next  [ 472 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.