Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 14:42
Rady is NOT the 3rd best UC right now at all.

However, they are poised to be within 5-10 years.

-The campus is gorgeous (1st building completed and 2nd building coming).

-The faculty is top notch b/c they are recruiting some amazing talent with the San Diego beaches/weather

-The Lab-to-Market course series is groundbreaking and is leading to numerous startup companies being created right out of the MBA program

Couple these facts (among others) with the backing of UCSD (which is clearly the 3rd best undergraduate UC behind Cal and UCLA) makes Rady an easy fit for a top 30 ranking in a few years.

aardvar11 wrote:
Hey Cyrez8

Why do you think UCSD is better than UCI and 3rd amongst the UC's? I never even considered the school as they haven't been ranked yet. I would love to hear your reasoning!

Thanks!

cyrez8 wrote:
I was given the option for my USC interview.

Also, in regards to UCSD it depends upon where you did your undergrad (I did mine at UCSD) and what you want out of your MBA.

I think UCSD is going to soar in the rankings in 5 years. They are definitely going to be better than UCI and 3rd I believe amongst the UC's behind Cal and UCLA.

The way UCSD has been set up is amazing and the campus/buildings are gorgeous and the faculty is top notch. The entire program has about 150 full-time MBA students so it is very close knit as well.

Tell me a little more about your background, aspirations and I'll give you more information on UCSD.

dcdevil wrote:
Those that were invited to interview this week...were you given only the option of Saturday MArch 20th or during the week next week?

Also, Cyrez8...what are your thoughts on UCSD? I am in a very similar situation as you....

F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg(Accept), Haas, Fuqua, McCombs, Columbia, USC
WE 1: 4 Years High Tech
WE 2: Marketing Management Role at Non-Profit
WE 3: 2 Year International based internet startup.
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 15:55
Just received an interview invite to San Fran in 2nd week of March. It was a long wait and best of luck to all of you. And yes, I may also have the USC vs UT-Austin Dilemma if I am lucky. Unless I am really lucky and get Duke in my mix. haha

---^Grab Life by the Horn^---
co-founder OverseaLife.com
Admit: Kellogg, Interviewed: McCombs, Fuqua, Marshall, Ding: Wharton, Columbia

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Kellogg, Anderson, Marshall for 2010 matriculation

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 10:33
If you guys have specific questions Austin or UT you can post here or PM me. I went to UT undergrad. Austin is an amazing city but its not for everyone. If you're deciding between the two schools it would come down to what you're looking to do afterwords, where you want to work, and what type person you are (would weigh heavily into whether you like LA or Austin better). If you're not so much into the glitz of LA, Austin is much better for someone who is more chill, outdoorsy, and has eclectic tastes.

Fwiw, I did not apply to UT Austin but did apply (and get admitted) to USC. That had to do with two things though. First, post MBA interests. Secondly, and more importantly, my wife is a 4th year med student applying to residency and there are no anesthesia residency programs in Austin. If it weren't for the wife thing I would have applied to UT and been happy to go there since I'm a Texan born and raised and would be happy to stay in Texas the rest of my life.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 13:40
To the non locals out there, did they give you a choice on where to interview? Do you think its advantageous to go to campus to interview? or interview with the director of admissions in your city, but not go to campus.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 16:49
Any non-local interviews go out tonight?

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg(Accept), Haas, Fuqua, McCombs, Columbia, USC
WE 1: 4 Years High Tech
WE 2: Marketing Management Role at Non-Profit
WE 3: 2 Year International based internet startup.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 17:24
paulymba wrote:
To the non locals out there, did they give you a choice on where to interview? Do you think its advantageous to go to campus to interview? or interview with the director of admissions in your city, but not go to campus.

I wasn't given a choice(other than 3 dates to pick from), So I will do one in S.F which I am perfectly fine with.

---^Grab Life by the Horn^---
co-founder OverseaLife.com
Admit: Kellogg, Interviewed: McCombs, Fuqua, Marshall, Ding: Wharton, Columbia

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 16:29
Invite at 6:45 EST

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 17:15
Told you not to worry! :)

hypermeganet wrote:
Invite at 6:45 EST

Manager
Manager
Schools: R1: Stanford, Booth, Stern; R2: Columbia, Anderson, McCombs, Marshall
WE 1: 4 years, corporate event planning

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 17:28
Nothing here still.... SF-based.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 08:34
Hey everyone,

I submitted my application on January 15th. It seems like most invites have already gone out. Is this the point where I hang up my USC hopes?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 08:42
officialstuff wrote:
Hey everyone,

I submitted my application on January 15th. It seems like most invites have already gone out. Is this the point where I hang up my USC hopes?

I wouldn't say that, at all. It looks like they are just beginning the 2nd round, non-local invites. I doubt they even looked at international applicants yet!

So, unless you're an LA native, I wouldn't worry.

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 08:50
Thank you, hypermeganet, from the bottom of my overtaxed, acid-refluxing heart.
Intern
Intern
Schools: columbia - interview(RD), UCLA- interview (rd 2), USC- interview(rd 2), oxford- interview (rd 2), cambridge- waitlist (rd 3), london b-school- ding w/out interview(rd 2), yale (rd 2)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 00:37
just curious if anyone has applied to both usc and ucla and has usc as their #1 choice between the two? It would seem that ucla is a better choice (higher ranked and much cheaper) but i have heard that for LA/socal, usc has better alum.... thoughts?

i've had interviews at both and didn't really feel that one was better than the other. both ppl i met with were bright and the campuses were both beautiful. although i guess all things being equal i'd choose ucla just b/c of the $$.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 00:53
If you want to stay in LA, it is a much easier decision as USC >>> UCLA in LA.

If you want to start your career elsewhere (other parts of CA, other states, countries) then UCLA >>> USC.

kma682 wrote:
just curious if anyone has applied to both usc and ucla and has usc as their #1 choice between the two? It would seem that ucla is a better choice (higher ranked and much cheaper) but i have heard that for LA/socal, usc has better alum.... thoughts?

i've had interviews at both and didn't really feel that one was better than the other. both ppl i met with were bright and the campuses were both beautiful. although i guess all things being equal i'd choose ucla just b/c of the $$.

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 14:41
R2 still waiting for interview invite or ding...
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:06
dito... what is a ding?
Oh, living in Orange County.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:07
Ding = denied/rejection

jessicsd wrote:
dito... what is a ding?
Oh, living in Orange County.

Manager
Manager
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:26
As a former Bruin it pains me to concede the fact that USC is far better in SoCal because of the alumni network. If Entrepreneurship/Entertainment is your thing, then USC blows UCLA out of the water. However, if you want to work in finance or MC outside of Los Angeles, I would argue that UCLA has a noticeable edge, definitely in NYC, and even in SF.

The cultures are a little different as well with UCLA admissions more focused on creating team players, while USC is focused on creating leaders. It's similar to the difference between schools such as Kellogg/Tuck (emphasis on team players) and Harvard/LBS (emphasis on leaders).

I understand where you are coming from on the money front. Historically, USC is known to be pretty generous with regards to financial aid.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:38
This waiting sucks. I can almost feel myself getting dinged. I wish they'd tell you why you didn't get in.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:45
I also haven't heard anything from SC...and am ready to admit defeat.

I had a 690 GMAT / 3.9 GPA (from USC as an undergrad) and have helped organize and/or participated in a number of USC clubs and events since graduating from there 5 years ago. I still live in So Cal...I just can't believe I didn't get in with those qualifications...stunned.
Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2010, 15:45