Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 11:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 20:47
Thanks JoeMahmah for the response. It will definitely be tough for me to break into IB from engineering to begin with, so I will definitely be targeting the smaller LA firms.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 04:25
paulymba wrote:
Has anyone compiled a list of questions for an SC interview or can you post the questions that you were asked? There doesn't seem to be much recent feedback.

Thanks!

-Take me through your resume.
-Why USC.
-Name 3 characteristics your friends might say about you (expand on the last one you mention).
-You have a good job, why leave it in this economy.
-Tell me one misconception people have about you (this was the hardest one - prepare for it).
-What will you add to the class at USC.

That's about it. It felt like it was a blind interview but I can't be sure. My interviewer didn't seem to draw on my application at all with the questions. Nothing super tough - relatively short (~30 minutes).

I was told that they are trying to get all decisions out on 4/1/10 (nothing before then, maybe after then).

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Schools: Darden '12

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:09
Good luck everyone.

I just got dinged from USC via CGSM.
Manager
Manager
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 11:39
add me to the reject list
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 11:43
What's CGSM?
Manager
Manager
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 12:09
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (CGSM Fellow), Wash U Olin R2, Kelley R2, Tepper R2, Marshall R2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 12:11
How did USC pass along the message??
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper (A), Georgetown (W), Cornell (?)
WE 1: 4 years Management Consulting

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 15:43
Did only the Consortium decisions come out? I called their office today and the lady said that no decisions would be released prior to April 2 for R2 applicants...they have had my app for more than 6 weeks and apparently they said out of state invites would still be going out till mid next week...I guess I have to accept that I got dinged if I don't hear anything on Wednesday next week
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg(Accept), Haas, Fuqua, McCombs, Columbia, USC
WE 1: 4 Years High Tech
WE 2: Marketing Management Role at Non-Profit
WE 3: 2 Year International based internet startup.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 22:40
Does anyone know what dress code is preferred for USC interviews. Is a dress shirt with a tie with no jacket appropriate?

thx

---^Grab Life by the Horn^---
co-founder OverseaLife.com
Admit: Kellogg, Interviewed: McCombs, Fuqua, Marshall, Ding: Wharton, Columbia

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 01:57
Wear a full suit always.

goldenspaceship wrote:
Does anyone know what dress code is preferred for USC interviews. Is a dress shirt with a tie with no jacket appropriate?

thx

F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

Last edited by cyrez8 on 07 Mar 2010, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 13:39
My interview was similar (started off asking about things relevant to my resume):

1) Tell us about (background/degrees)?
2) Tell us about (work experiences)?
3) Why the MBA?
4) What are your short/long term goals?
5) What do you think of "teamwork"?

hypermeganet wrote:
paulymba wrote:
Has anyone compiled a list of questions for an SC interview or can you post the questions that you were asked? There doesn't seem to be much recent feedback.

Thanks!

-Take me through your resume.
-Why USC.
-Name 3 characteristics your friends might say about you (expand on the last one you mention).
-You have a good job, why leave it in this economy.
-Tell me one misconception people have about you (this was the hardest one - prepare for it).
-What will you add to the class at USC.

That's about it. It felt like it was a blind interview but I can't be sure. My interviewer didn't seem to draw on my application at all with the questions. Nothing super tough - relatively short (~30 minutes).

I was told that they are trying to get all decisions out on 4/1/10 (nothing before then, maybe after then).

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 14:15
cyrez8, did you just interview with the assistant admissions director in SF? :D
What did they wear?

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 14:59
Nope :), interviewed on campus at USC

goldenspaceship wrote:
cyrez8, did you just interview with the assistant admissions director in SF? :D
What did they wear?

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 11:21
Just had my hub interview in SF this morning.

Tell me about yourself, something not on your resume.
Tell me about your role at your current job.
Tell me more about the start-up you are doing (he was obviously interested in that aspect of my resume)
What are your goals, and why do you want an MBA.
Why Marshall. -- all with in 30 min

That was all the questions. I thought there would be more but... then I filled rest of the time slot(20min) by asking question, about the campus, activities, etc.

Overall, I think it went well, and USC will notify its 2nd round students after April 1st. No message will be given before then. No email either, you will have to log in online to check your status. Also, they cannot make a decision until you submit official transcript. These are few of the extra things I learn. Hope this helps.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 11:30
Got the basic questions as well, nothing tricky, and probably the most conversational interview i've had with any school, lasted about 45 minutes, with a 30/15 split

- Started off by going into my work experiences
- Why did you choose your undergraduate school
- Why MBA, Why USC? (incorporated ST/LT goals)
- How would you use skills gained to achieve your goals
- What would you add to the class at USC
- What do you do in your free time
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross Class of '12 :R2 Kellogg (Ding), Booth (ding w/o int), Haas (dinged w/o int), Ross (WL, accepted 5/19), Anderson (accepted), Marshall (invited to int, withdrawn)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 10:53
Wow. I just received an interview invite from Marshall about 10 minutes ago.

International, East Asia, M, 720, 5 year WE, 3.6 GPA from top 10 undergrad b-school

Booth, dinged w/o int
Haas, no signs of anything, so probably a ding
Kellogg, interviewd and waiting
Ross, interviewd and waiting
Anderson, interviewed and waiting

So Marshall is still sending out interview invites. Good luck to all!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 14:57
Sorry to hear about the dings. Good luck with your other schools.

For those that got offered a scholorship, where was the letter? I'm guessing in the welcome packet. I just got my little and big envelopes yesterday but sadly no $$$, so I'm hoping there might be a third envelope that you received. Otherwise I will be poor so drinks are on you over-achievers! :-D
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Lived overseas since 2003
Schools: Marshall
WE 1: Trainer

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 04:29
I am applying R2 from SE Asia and have not hear anything yet for an interview.

F /740/ 8 yr work exp in tourism industry--currently a trainer/ math&hist major with honors from mid-level school/ heavy international work experience (but not all of it in a traditional business environment).

I just was offered a big promotion to my boss's job and they want to know by the end of this week.

Would it be worth it to call the admissions office to find out if I am being considered or have already been put aside?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross Class of '12 :R2 Kellogg (Ding), Booth (ding w/o int), Haas (dinged w/o int), Ross (WL, accepted 5/19), Anderson (accepted), Marshall (invited to int, withdrawn)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 09:14
My interview invitation email mentioned that one of their adcom members (Senior Associate Director, Sheryl Schreiber) is touring Asia right now for interviews. She will be touring my country next week, so I think that's why I received my invitation this late.

I have no idea when she will be visiting your country/region, but I think it would be OK to contact the adcom if urgent.

Based on your stats, I would be very surprised if Marshall was not interested in accepting you.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 11:35
Have any round 2 applicants (non Consortium) received ding notifications? If so, what format? Email or checked the application status page?

Thanks.
Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2010, 11:35