Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 07:12
Hi,

I gave my Interview on 31st March...Can anyone pls tell me by when can I expect the Result.

Thanks
Grv
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 07:21
WhoDat wrote:
CaliforniaBear wrote:

CalBear.. I was admitted to Gtown R2 but won't be able to attend the admit weekend.. If you get a chance can you talk about the experience.. What did Gtown put on for you guys and what were your take aways from the experience? btw I am not making any decisions or developing any insight other then just your opinion... I am just super curious as to what you thought about the current students, the other admitted students, faculty etc etc or whatever else they put on the stage during the first admit weekend.

thanks

WhoDat - assuming you're a Saints fan as well, helluva year! The Gtown R1 admit weekend was extremely impressive. It was cut short to only 1 day because of the massive snow storm in beginning of Feb, but they still managed to impress. Takeaways: 1. current students were extremely enthusiastic about the school and talked about their friendships a ton (more than other places I visited), 2. faculty cared about teaching, not just research - and had a great sense of humor and seemed like "real," approachable, people, 3. building is super sweet, 4. career center sessions were impressive - we had a an overall intro by the director, then breakout sessions by functional area (all functional leads were from the industry, i.e. marketing and consulting guy had 17 years of HR at accenture under his belt) 5. prospective students were really solid, nothing crazy amazing, but no red flags either. seemed like a normal, nice crew of folks.

If you have any pointed questions, fire away.... you deciding b/w GT, SC, and what else? what are your key criteria?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 07:25
anyone have stats on % of students that get $$?
Manager
Manager
Schools: R1: Stanford, Booth, Stern; R2: Columbia, Anderson, McCombs, Marshall
WE 1: 4 years, corporate event planning

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 09:20
Thanks dc devil and ARIL... I appreciate the support.
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 09:26
swank6 wrote:
Just got a decision online... WL. (no interview)

Hey, double LA waitlist, that's a good sign since probably alot of people are gonna choose one or another and open up some WL spots. UCLA takes a larger than normal percentage of Waitlist based on BW stats. (probably because there yield is sub-50%)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: columbia - interview(RD), UCLA- interview (rd 2), USC- interview(rd 2), oxford- interview (rd 2), cambridge- waitlist (rd 3), london b-school- ding w/out interview(rd 2), yale (rd 2)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 12:16
can anyone compare usc/ucla? Is there an advantage to ucla since it appears to be ranked a bit higher in most rankings?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 12:41
If you want to stay in the LA area, go to USC.

If you are going to be in other areas of California or even nationally/globally, go to UCLA.

kma682 wrote:
can anyone compare usc/ucla? Is there an advantage to ucla since it appears to be ranked a bit higher in most rankings?

F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 23:06
Hi,

Congratulation for all admitted candidates and best of luck for all those who are waiting results. I have got an admit from Marshall. I also have offer from UNC Kenan Flagler.

Now I am confused which school to choose. I like the curriculum and culture of both the schools. But again if I choose west cost school like Marshall I have more chance of landing a job in Silicon Valley where I can benefit from my Technology experience and Kenan Flagler appears to have bad history in the job market, I have heard that international students are struggling to get inters. But in terms of global outlook I believe Kenan Flagler stands out with alums all over the world. Still I am not sure whether Marshall located in South California sends students to Silicon valley.. I am trying to connect with students in both the schools.

With all these I can't figure out which school to choose. I am from Singapore and standing here half world away from these schools I cant make a decision. It will be great help if some of you who visited these school or who knows more about these school can advice me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 00:11
I would recommend USC over UNC

1) USC > UNC in terms of California brand (and you want to be in the Silicon Valley)
2) USC > UNC in overall alumni network (USC has one of the strongest out there)
3) USC > UNC in terms of technological/entrepreneurial MBA emphasis
4) USC > UNC in terms of location (LA or North Carolina?)

Those are just my thoughts :)

2010MBAADMISSION wrote:
Hi,

Congratulation for all admitted candidates and best of luck for all those who are waiting results. I have got an admit from Marshall. I also have offer from UNC Kenan Flagler.

Now I am confused which school to choose. I like the curriculum and culture of both the schools. But again if I choose west cost school like Marshall I have more chance of landing a job in Silicon Valley where I can benefit from my Technology experience and Kenan Flagler appears to have bad history in the job market, I have heard that international students are struggling to get inters. But in terms of global outlook I believe Kenan Flagler stands out with alums all over the world. Still I am not sure whether Marshall located in South California sends students to Silicon valley.. I am trying to connect with students in both the schools.

With all these I can't figure out which school to choose. I am from Singapore and standing here half world away from these schools I cant make a decision. It will be great help if some of you who visited these school or who knows more about these school can advice me.

F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 09:41
Any Round 3 applicants here? Has anyone received any interview invitations?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 05:52
Just saw my result. REJECTED (Interviewed on 31st) :-(

I am very very sad as out of 12 applications that I submitted, I got only 2 Interview invites and this one is gone.
>>>>>2011?? :-(

All the Best to all of you who are waiting fr the result.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 06:30
2 questions

Has anyone recieved their packet in the mail yet? I am assuming all fellowship info will included in that?

Has anyone looked into housing yet? As an out-of-stater I don't know much about LA, but I hear its not such a great idea to live near campus?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 10:01
MBA234 wrote:
2 questions

Has anyone recieved their packet in the mail yet? I am assuming all fellowship info will included in that?

Has anyone looked into housing yet? As an out-of-stater I don't know much about LA, but I hear its not such a great idea to live near campus?

Good question (the housing one). As a former USC undergrad, I don't recommend living right around campus. I found the housing to be pretty low quality and shockingly expensive. The number of places right around campus to eat and drink are also fairly limited. I'm sure others can chime in on which neighborhoods provide easiest access to USC, but overall I would recommend commuting.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 10:05
UThopeful wrote:
MBA234 wrote:
2 questions

Good question (the housing one). As a former USC undergrad, I don't recommend living right around campus. I found the housing to be pretty low quality and shockingly expensive. The number of places right around campus to eat and drink are also fairly limited. I'm sure others can chime in on which neighborhoods provide easiest access to USC, but overall I would recommend commuting.

Yea...I am also an out-of-stater (from the Midwest) attending USC and I heard the MBA students live in downtown LA or West of the city (i.e. Santa Monica BLVD area). My interviewer told me it was split about 50-50 between these two locations. I am looking forward to Admit Weekend. Hopefully I can figure out some housing issues and meet a few guys for potential roommates.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 3 Yrs Sell Side Research

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
GSM2010 wrote:
Any Round 3 applicants here? Has anyone received any interview invitations?

Round 3 here and have heard nothing.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 13:27
New to the forum, I submitted in time for R2, but havent gotten a decision (acceptance or ding) yet. I did not interview either. Anyone else in the same boat?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 13:30
dm23 wrote:
New to the forum, I submitted in time for R2, but havent gotten a decision (acceptance or ding) yet. I did not interview either. Anyone else in the same boat?

Call admissions for a status update
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 18:57
In regards to housing, I would personally live in either Downtown, the Westside (Santa Monica/Venice Beach) or possibly Hollywood. As someone mentioned earlier, the area is not the greatest around the USC area and housing is expensive for what you pay. I graduated from USC in 2007 and live in Santa Monica and intend to commute from here. The commute is about 25 minutes (not bad for Los Angeles). Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 20:48
Thanks Wilman. About how far is the commute from Hollywood? During my last visit I really liked the area and am considering living there and commuting to USC if it is not too far.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 08:50
I applied Round 3 (March 13) and have not received an interview invitation. I am from LA. The only thing I received from USC was an email saying they received my application and an email last night about financial aid. Anyone else receive this email about financial aid?

On a sidenote, I have also applied to Cornell and Kenan-Flagler, both last rounds as well.
I recently went to North Carolina and completed an interview. Waiting on decision.
Have not heard back from Cornell other than an email stating that my application was under review.

Last edited by kekmurph on 06 Apr 2010, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2010, 08:50