Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 08:52
kekmurph wrote:
I applied Round 3 (March 13) and have not received an interview invitation. I am from LA. The only thing I received from USC was an email saying they received my application and an email last night about financial aid. Anyone else receive this email about financial aid too?

Yes - I did
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 08:59
GSM2010 wrote:
kekmurph wrote:
I applied Round 3 (March 13) and have not received an interview invitation. I am from LA. The only thing I received from USC was an email saying they received my application and an email last night about financial aid. Anyone else receive this email about financial aid too?

Yes - I did

Have you also not heard back on whether or not you have been accepted? What round did you apply in and have you been invited to interview?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 09:01
any r2 admits get their packet yet? i'm very curious about scholly aid

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 09:05
kekmurph wrote:
GSM2010 wrote:
kekmurph wrote:

Yes - I did

Have you also not heard back on whether or not you have been accepted? What round did you apply in and have you been invited to interview?

Round 3 - I called them yesterday. They have not started interviewing R3 applicants yet.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 10:22
Does anyone know when classes start for the MBA program?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 14:21
Quote:
hypermeganet wrote:
So, of the schools I have not heard from + admits: USC > UNC> UVA > BC > ND > WUSTL > BU

I mostly like BC and they gave me a 2/3 scholarship. I'm just worried about career prospects.

Well congrats on your admits.

Im still waiting on a couple of schools, but so far Ive been admitted to Marshall and Jones (Rice University) with a 50% scholarship. How do you feel about possibly spending so much more at USC (if you dont get a scholarship)?

Anyone else have any opinions about Marshall (no aid) and Jones (1/2 off)? My background is engineering (energy sector) but Im undecided about what I want to do after getting my MBA.

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
ARIL wrote:

How do you feel about possibly spending so much more at USC (if you dont get a scholarship)?

Anyone else have any opinions about Marshall (no aid) and Jones (1/2 off)? My background is engineering (energy sector) but Im undecided about what I want to do after getting my MBA.

Thanks!

I'm not sure! I'm likely not going to get aid from USC since they seem to only offer 1/2 scholarship offers (and up), so I'll be in the same situation.

For you, I'd say go to Rice since they are huge in energy. Houston is the heart of energy and, if they had a program for my SO, I would have applied since I have a background in energy. I think they are vastly under-ranked (similar to BC) and a heck of a school on the rise. But you'll be limited to Houston and Houston alone pretty much.

If you want something outside of energy work, consider USC. USC is really strong in marketing and real estate - and if you want to work in the Pacific Rim it's a phenomenal program. Also, accounting and finance are quite strong. You'll have more options out of USC in various sectors - but energy isn't one of them. Again, USC is pretty regional and you'll need to be in LA.

You'll make marginally more money out of USC to start but Houston is insanely cheaper to live in than LA. So, you're saving roughly 45k on tuition plus another ~15-20k in living expenses by choosing Rice. Starting salaries are about 3k higher on average at USC (something easily made up by the COL difference in California). So, is USC, its alumni pool, and greater flexibility worth 60-65k more than Rice?

School:
Boston College MBA '12

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 19:17
This post received
KUDOS
hypermeganet wrote:
ARIL wrote:

How do you feel about possibly spending so much more at USC (if you dont get a scholarship)?

Thanks!

So, is USC, its alumni pool, and greater flexibility worth 60-65k more than Rice?

Definitely.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 19:49
jt6789, i'm not entirely sure how the Hollywood-> USC commute is in the morning since I've never driven it. With traffic it could take 45 mins, but without traffic it could take 20 mins.. Like any LA commute, a large part of the time depends on the traffic
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 20:09
This post received
KUDOS
ARIL wrote:
Quote:
hypermeganet wrote:
So, of the schools I have not heard from + admits: USC > UNC> UVA > BC > ND > WUSTL > BU

I mostly like BC and they gave me a 2/3 scholarship. I'm just worried about career prospects.

Well congrats on your admits.

Im still waiting on a couple of schools, but so far Ive been admitted to Marshall and Jones (Rice University) with a 50% scholarship. How do you feel about possibly spending so much more at USC (if you dont get a scholarship)?

Thanks!

Given your background in energy + how the 2 schools compare in terms of tuition costs and living expenses + aid -- I would be strongly inclined towards Rice
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 00:15
Got the packet today. No schollie. Don't they know I'm broke and way too old to live off Ramen?? Okay, maybe not broke, but I will be after 100K in tuition.
Current Student
Schools: UCLA
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 02:26
I got my packet today too! 50% scholarship--I am surprised and up until this point was pretty sure that I wouldnt go to USC...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 04:34
Thanks for all the feedback guys ... great points ... I am not really sure if I will stick with Energy post-MBA, and I feel that with my experience I will be able to get back into the Energy sector if I really wanted to ... regardless of where I obtain my MBA degree.

Im still trying my best to gauge which school will open the greatest set of opportunities for me.

Good luck to all waiting for further news. Im still hoping to get some good news like dcdevil! (Congrats to you by the way!!!)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 07:57
ah, I want the packet! The $ situation will be a key factor....just as it is with you, dcdevil - what was your top choice prior to getting the scholly?
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 08:17
CaliforniaBear wrote:
ah, I want the packet! The $ situation will be a key factor....just as it is with you, dcdevil - what was your top choice prior to getting the scholly?

CA Bear,
I was leaning heavily towards UCLA--still kind of am b/c they have pretty much promised us family housing that is heavily subsidized which USC does not have. Anyways, if I were to go to USC we might end up spending the difference in price between the two schools on housing and child care. If it was just me (no husband/no kids) and I got a 50% scholarship I would go to USC over UCLA.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 08:21
Got it - Westwood is certainly more family-friendly than any of the neighborhoods by SC. I'm on the WL for UCLA, so I'm crossing my fingers for a "good" packet from SC. If you want to stay in SoCal I really feel like either school is legit, so you can't go wrong.
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 10:31
CaliforniaBear wrote:
Got it - Westwood is certainly more family-friendly than any of the neighborhoods by SC. I'm on the WL for UCLA, so I'm crossing my fingers for a "good" packet from SC. If you want to stay in SoCal I really feel like either school is legit, so you can't go wrong.

I am entertaining the option of USC now, before this scholarship it just wasnt even reasonable....I guess we would live in the southbay area so that I can get my son into a legit school district in that area and I would commute. I havent heard anything from UCLA in the scholarship department and I am still waiting on Texas for a decision but my husband is dead set against relocating to Austin, so I am pretty sure that one is off the table.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 10:57
I'm really curious about people's thoughts on how USC awards scholarships. They say "academic merit," but what does that mean? I got a 730 on the GMAT and had a 3.67 gpa in college, but my major was in English Lit. I took two econ classes after college and got A's, and got a B in a Calculus class. I'm wondering if those are the things they look at for scholarship considerations. choag and dcdevil, would you mind sharing your stats and thoughts about influential factors?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:02
I'm curious, too. I have a 680 GMAT (not great) and a 3.85 GPA from a top 5 university with decent work experience at a top investment firm. I wonder how much the lower GMAT will affect my chances at a scholarship. dcdevil gives me hope but who knows? It seems pretty arbitrary.

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:08
officialstuff -- your profile seems to be right in line to get a fellowship from Marshall. have you heard either way yet?

my profile is: 25 / F / 720 / 6.0 / 3.54 from top liberal arts / 3.5 y WE in advertising and I got half-tuition. i would be surprised if you didn't...
Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2010, 11:08