Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: UCLA
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:13
officialstuff wrote:
I'm really curious about people's thoughts on how USC awards scholarships. They say "academic merit," but what does that mean? I got a 730 on the GMAT and had a 3.67 gpa in college, but my major was in English Lit. I took two econ classes after college and got A's, and got a B in a Calculus class. I'm wondering if those are the things they look at for scholarship considerations. choag and dcdevil, would you mind sharing your stats and thoughts about influential factors?

Here's my thoughts:

My interview went awful...truly awful. I came in on one of those Saturdays when they were just running people through. The whole thing really rubbed me the wrong way and I dont think I made the greatest impression on my interviewer who basically told me he didnt like the format of my resume and that USC would have no career placement services for me ( I am interested in their new sustainability program). I left thinking that even if I did get in there was NO WAY I would actually go....

In terms of stats, I think I am average: I had a 3.4 at a top tier undergrad institution. I majored in engineering so I think GPAs are typically a little lower. My GMAT score is a little on the low side for the current year but if it is looked at in the context of when I took it (4 years ago) it is a 90th percentile score. I am a total odd ball though in terms of career. I was in the Navy (aviation) prior to working as a civil engineer. I had substantial accomplishments in both fields. I am also female and a URM (I was hesitant to post that last bit b/c I know that sometimes assumptions are made about qualifications of URMs but honestly I dont think it made a difference since the scholarship is not tied to either one of these factors.)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:14
I know I'm in. I haven't gotten my packet yet, though. Maybe it's waiting for me at home in my mailbox. Which is maddening, because I have work, then practice, then the gym and I won't be home until 10 tonight. Thanks for the info, we seem pretty closely aligned stats-wise, so let's hope that plays an important role. Good luck to everyone.
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:17
officialstuff wrote:
I know I'm in. I haven't gotten my packet yet, though. Maybe it's waiting for me at home in my mailbox. Which is maddening, because I have work, then practice, then the gym and I won't be home until 10 tonight. Thanks for the info, we seem pretty closely aligned stats-wise, so let's hope that plays an important role. Good luck to everyone.

Good luck! I didnt get a phone call or anything....it was just a letter in my packet that said I got half tuition but no acutal dollar amount which kinda makes me wonder how much it actually covers since there are a lot of fees that are not considered tuition....
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:21
Thanks for the well-wishes. Hopefully I get some good news around 10.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:22
dcdevil wrote:
officialstuff wrote:
I'm really curious about people's thoughts on how USC awards scholarships. They say "academic merit," but what does that mean? I got a 730 on the GMAT and had a 3.67 gpa in college, but my major was in English Lit. I took two econ classes after college and got A's, and got a B in a Calculus class. I'm wondering if those are the things they look at for scholarship considerations. choag and dcdevil, would you mind sharing your stats and thoughts about influential factors?

Here's my thoughts:

My interview went awful...truly awful. I came in on one of those Saturdays when they were just running people through. The whole thing really rubbed me the wrong way and I dont think I made the greatest impression on my interviewer who basically told me he didnt like the format of my resume and that USC would have no career placement services for me ( I am interested in their new sustainability program). I left thinking that even if I did get in there was NO WAY I would actually go....

In terms of stats, I think I am average: I had a 3.4 at a top tier undergrad institution. I majored in engineering so I think GPAs are typically a little lower. My GMAT score is a little on the low side for the current year but if it is looked at in the context of when I took it (4 years ago) it is a 90th percentile score. I am a total odd ball though in terms of career. I was in the Navy (aviation) prior to working as a civil engineer. I had substantial accomplishments in both fields. I am also female and a URM (I was hesitant to post that last bit b/c I know that sometimes assumptions are made about qualifications of URMs but honestly I dont think it made a difference since the scholarship is not tied to either one of these factors.)

Scholarships aren't linked to minority status? Are you sure of that? I would think they would be - I know admit decisions are.

Regardless, it's nice to know that they don't necessarily reject scholarship offers based on GMAT and/or GPA cutoffs.

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:31
hypermeganet wrote:
dcdevil wrote:
officialstuff wrote:

Here's my thoughts:

Scholarships aren't linked to minority status? Are you sure of that? I would think they would be - I know admit decisions are.

Regardless, it's nice to know that they don't necessarily reject scholarship offers based on GMAT and/or GPA cutoffs.

Like I said, I hesitated to post b/c I think people make some pretty off assumptions without knowing every detail of my life/career. I prefer not to post info related to my military experience on here but I can send you a PM if you would like to know more details....honestly, I think that is what differentiated me is being female/military officer and what I accomplished while there. There are very very few of us that are in that field. I am also older and so have had significant leadership experience etc.

Last edited by dcdevil on 07 Apr 2010, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:34
Well dcdevil, I, for one, appreciate your candor. Thanks for sharing.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:42
Oh, I definitely agree. I didn't mean anything by asking if you felt it was linked to your minority status. :oops: Even if it is, that's not a bad thing - it's part of your overall profile. And the rest of your profile seems very competitive, so I can definitely see why you got a scholarship.

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:44
officialstuff wrote:
Well dcdevil, I, for one, appreciate your candor. Thanks for sharing.

Glad to help! My point was scores and GPAs are great but it also needs to be taken in context of what else you accomplished/where that GPA is from/what you majored in/where you worked/how much responsiblitiy you have had in the workplace/what your essays looked like in additon to URM status.

USC was also one of the last schools I applied to so I had improved my application significantly from my first which was Stanford. Apparently, Stanford was not particularly impressed with me :P (ding no interview)
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 11:45
hypermeganet wrote:
Oh, I definitely agree. I didn't mean anything by asking if you felt it was linked to your minority status. :oops: Even if it is, that's not a bad thing - it's part of your overall profile. And the rest of your profile seems very competitive, so I can definitely see why you got a scholarship.

No worries...not easily offended!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 12:25
hypermeganet wrote:
I'm curious, too. I have a 680 GMAT (not great) and a 3.85 GPA from a top 5 university with decent work experience at a top investment firm. I wonder how much the lower GMAT will affect my chances at a scholarship. dcdevil gives me hope but who knows? It seems pretty arbitrary.

I think it was my GPA that did me in.

730 GMAT, 6.0 / 3.15 GPA from UCLA (Econ Major) / 5 Years WE in Entertainment Marketing

They also said it was need based, no? I've been making good money for a few years and I did my FAFSA by March 1st and I think USC has access to that info. Looks like any money I was saving for a house or new car will be going towards paying USC. What do you guys think?
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 13:10
choag82 wrote:
hypermeganet wrote:
I'm curious, too. I have a 680 GMAT (not great) and a 3.85 GPA from a top 5 university with decent work experience at a top investment firm. I wonder how much the lower GMAT will affect my chances at a scholarship. dcdevil gives me hope but who knows? It seems pretty arbitrary.

I think it was my GPA that did me in.

730 GMAT, 6.0 / 3.15 GPA from UCLA (Econ Major) / 5 Years WE in Entertainment Marketing

They also said it was need based, no? I've been making good money for a few years and I did my FAFSA by March 1st and I think USC has access to that info. Looks like any money I was saving for a house or new car will be going towards paying USC. What do you guys think?

For what its worth(probably not much)...I have no demonstrated need. FAFSA actually makes me look like I have more money than I do b/c of the way it handles your mortgage on the home you own.

I would think it may have to do with the GPA/undergraduate institution b/c I bet they get a lot of local applicants from USC/UCLA with top notch GPAs and they could have their pick of the lot...(not sure if that makes sense)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 14:39
I emailed USC admissions today to remove myself from the wait list. Best of luck to those still waiting!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 06:57
This may be a stupid question...but what do you do about health insurance while you are in school?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 09:48
I got my admit packet last night. Half tuition fellowship, which takes a load off my mind. Now I'm waiting to hear from Wash U in St. Louis about fellowship. It'll be hard to beat USC, though. The prospect of not seeing snow for at least two years thrills me. Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 09:51
Official - when did you get your admit notification? Trying to see if they correlate to when packets are sent. I'm pushing a deadline, so time is of the essence...as always with this process.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 09:53
officialstuff wrote:
I got my admit packet last night. Half tuition fellowship, which takes a load off my mind. Now I'm waiting to hear from Wash U in St. Louis about fellowship. It'll be hard to beat USC, though. The prospect of not seeing snow for at least two years thrills me. Good luck everyone!

I got half tuition to WUSTL and I'd take USC in a heartbeat with the same fellowship. Heck, I'd take USC with a 1/4 scholarship over 1/2 at WUSTL.

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 09:58
Funny thing is, I got waitlisted at Wash U, so I don't expect a fellowship from them. Hypermeganet, do you know where you'll end up going?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 10:00
officialstuff wrote:
Funny thing is, I got waitlisted at Wash U, so I don't expect a fellowship from them. Hypermeganet, do you know where you'll end up going?

Nope. haha

If I end up seeing the 1/2 scholarship at USC I'll likely go there. If I get nothing (as predicted) and Kenan-Flagler is an admit I'd likely go there. Cheaper (out-of-state, though), closer to home, still good in finance. BC gave me 2/3 tuition and I like Boston - but I hate snow. Want to be out of the Northeast for the first time in my life!

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 10:03
I got my package last night. No scholarship. :(

Oh well...I am going to bust my ass the first year and hopefully they reward me with a scholarship for the second year. I can't afford to be $130k in debt.
Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2010, 10:03