Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2015, 05:10
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 09:28
Hopefully they redistribute to GmatClubbers :)

DC - Been following your posts and UCLA seeems like a great fit considering you have a family. Good luck and have fun in Westwood!

ARIL - the 130k debt realization has fully sunk in for me. I got offered a 60% scholly at Vanderbilt, but nothing from Gtown or SC and still on the UCLA WL, and since I'm in marketing I certainly won't be pulling a big salary in my first few years out of school. Had I got into Kellogg I would have gladly taken the debt...but the diffrence between the next batch of schools (basically anything after UCLA through #30) is pretty minimal in my eyes. Hence, I'll be taking the scholarship money and have a little less stress on the backend...Where are you headed?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: UCLA
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 09:32
CaliforniaBear wrote:
Hopefully they redistribute to GmatClubbers :)

DC - Been following your posts and UCLA seeems like a great fit considering you have a family. Good luck and have fun in Westwood!

ARIL - the 130k debt realization has fully sunk in for me. I got offered a 60% scholly at Vanderbilt, but nothing from Gtown or SC and still on the UCLA WL, and since I'm in marketing I certainly won't be pulling a big salary in my first few years out of school. Had I got into Kellogg I would have gladly taken the debt...but the diffrence between the next batch of schools (basically anything after UCLA through #30) is pretty minimal in my eyes. Hence, I'll be taking the scholarship money and have a little less stress on the backend...Where are you headed?

The only thing that could sway me from UCLA at this point is UT but I havent heard anything from them yet.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 09:50
CAL BEAR - Im in a very similar situation. I have a 50% scholarship at Rice, Im on the waitlist for NYU (so it is unlikely I would get any $ there) and then there is Marshall.

Im trying to justify the extra 60k+ that I would have to spend at Marshall compared to Rice. Im undecided on what I want to do after my MBA and currently, Im trying to understand if USC would open more doors for me post-MBA. IF the opportunities after graduation are markedly superior ... I will still seriously consider USC.

Any feedback about USC, since you are from Cali and I live halfway across the world??

DCDEVIL - Congrats on whichever direction you decide to go in!! :-D You have some good options ... but I thought hubby doesnt want Texas (or am I confusing you with someone else?)
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 10:00
ARIL wrote:
CAL BEAR - Im in a very similar situation. I have a 50% scholarship at Rice, Im on the waitlist for NYU (so it is unlikely I would get any $ there) and then there is Marshall.

Im trying to justify the extra 60k+ that I would have to spend at Marshall compared to Rice. Im undecided on what I want to do after my MBA and currently, Im trying to understand if USC would open more doors for me post-MBA. IF the opportunities after graduation are markedly superior ... I will still seriously consider USC.

Any feedback about USC, since you are from Cali and I live halfway across the world??

DCDEVIL - Congrats on whichever direction you decide to go in!! :-D You have some good options ... but I thought hubby doesnt want Texas (or am I confusing you with someone else?)

ARIL-- Id go to Rice but I have not been that impressed with USC at all. Great network in SoCal not so much in the rest of the US. Plus, you can factor cost of living into that equation too with Houston vs LA.

Yup, my hubby is the one that hates Austin and loves the beach. Plus, I think he would have a hard time finding a job in Austin. We will see if I actually get in and then discuss it but I am still pushing UT and maybe I will get my way because as the saying goes: "A happy wife=a happy life." :P (Seriously though--Im not really THAT kind of wife, a lot of the decisions on this will come down to the preschool/elementary schools that we can put our kids in. Oh, and I have to get into UT first)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 10:01
The admit weekend schedule details will be mailed to you in a separate package. I am a rd 1 admit and received mine last week. Thx.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 10:31
That is weird. I received them both together.

jt6789 wrote:
The admit weekend schedule details will be mailed to you in a separate package. I am a rd 1 admit and received mine last week. Thx.

F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago (Ding w/Interview), Kellogg(Ding), Darden (Int), NYU (Rd 2), USC (Rd 2)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 11:07
Hey just got back in the country and was happy to receive voicemail letting me know I was admitted.

I will not be able to make it to admit weekend though...too expensive to go from Chicago on such short notice. Anyone on here going?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 04:10
24 wrote:
Hey just got back in the country and was happy to receive voicemail letting me know I was admitted.

I will not be able to make it to admit weekend though...too expensive to go from Chicago on such short notice. Anyone on here going?

I received my admit info and Admit Weekend material in the same package.

I am heading out for the Admit Weekend from the Midwest. Hopefully I can meet some guys to room with.

Looking forward to meeting everyone at Admit Weekend.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago (Ding w/Interview), Kellogg(Ding), Darden (Int), NYU (Rd 2), USC (Rd 2)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 06:58
Where are you coming from Catalyst?

Anyone already decide that they are going to attend USC and thoughts on where to live in LA?

I have been in touch with a first year and he said most first years live in Santa Monica and then move to Manhattan Beach for the second year.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 07:19
24 wrote:
Where are you coming from Catalyst?

Anyone already decide that they are going to attend USC and thoughts on where to live in LA?

I have been in touch with a first year and he said most first years live in Santa Monica and then move to Manhattan Beach for the second year.

I am coming from Detroit and definitely attending USC.

My interviewer told me students live in downtown LA or Santa Monica. I am not certain of exact streets or apartment complexes, but some advice from local students would be great. I don't even know where to begin when looking for a residence out there.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 08:30
Hopefully they will give us some info/guidance during admit weekend.

does anyone know what the dresscode is for this thing? I mean I'm assuming I don't need to bring a tie, but are we all going to be wearing board shorts or what?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 08:50
MBA234 wrote:
Hopefully they will give us some info/guidance during admit weekend.

does anyone know what the dresscode is for this thing? I mean I'm assuming I don't need to bring a tie, but are we all going to be wearing board shorts or what?

Board shorts definitely.

The packet they sent me said attire was business casual. In the schedule they also listed social gatherings to close out both nights...I wonder if drinks will be provided?! Please!
Intern
Intern
Schools: USC

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 16:07
i thought i should post something since i've been lurking on these threads for awhile. i've been admitted to USC for this coming fall and most likely attending (also waitlisted at Haas E/W, and no word on UCLA R3). i'm headed to admit weekend in a few weeks, and looking forward to meeting fellow admits there.

anyone following the school on twitter? USCFTMBA -they've posted information that points us to the Welcome Website, but i have no idea where/what that is.

best of luck to those who are still awaiting decisions!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 18:25
@luckymojo yes I'm following the school on twitter as well. I saw that update regarding admit weekend, but don't have a link either. I requested to join the Marshall 2012 facebook group but my request hasn't been accepted yet. On top of all that, I still haven't received my physical package in the mail either. I think my next step is to contact the admissions department directly to get some info.

Some out of state folks requested info on areas to live in LA. The areas west of the 405 are all good (brentwood, santa monica, west LA). The commute to school in the morning will involve some traffic (on the 10), but usually coming home back west isn't terrible. Living downtown can be tricky. I'm sure there are some nice, newer buildings, but there are definitely some sketchy areas as well. One more option to consider is Miracle Mile, and the areas by the Grove and Beverly Center.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 04:55
BB

Thanks for the helpfull info. When you say 'some traffic' i get a little nervous, who hasn't heard horror stories of LA commutes! I think its like 12 miles from Santa Monica to USC, do you mean that might take 20-30 min in the morning, or are we talking an hour?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 07:48
MBA234 wrote:
BB

Thanks for the helpfull info. When you say 'some traffic' i get a little nervous, who hasn't heard horror stories of LA commutes! I think its like 12 miles from Santa Monica to USC, do you mean that might take 20-30 min in the morning, or are we talking an hour?

It will take a minimum of 30 minutes, and probably more like 45. As you get closer to downtown, it definitely gets congested. As an example, it took me about 40 minutes to commute from Brentwood to campus for my interview. I left at 1 in the afternoon. Brentwood is slightly closer than Santa Monica. Welcome to LA :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 08:06
BB22 wrote:
MBA234 wrote:
BB

It will take a minimum of 30 minutes, and probably more like 45. As you get closer to downtown, it definitely gets congested. As an example, it took me about 40 minutes to commute from Brentwood to campus for my interview. I left at 1 in the afternoon. Brentwood is slightly closer than Santa Monica. Welcome to LA :)

Traffic won't be as bad if you are leaving by 7AM though.
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 08:24
Just my 2cents...Santa Monica is just too far of a commute to USC. I wouldnt do it, unless you are going to school really early and leaving really late.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 08:38
dcdevil wrote:
Just my 2cents...Santa Monica is just too far of a commute to USC. I wouldnt do it, unless you are going to school really early and leaving really late.

Are there nice places to live at downtown? How far is that commute? 10 minutes?

What about Westwood?
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 08:49
cata1yst wrote:
dcdevil wrote:

Are there nice places to live at downtown? How far is that commute? 10 minutes?

What about Westwood?

Just a disclaimer, I am in San Diego not LA and I hate to drive/traffic....for UCLA we are looking at the Brentwood/North part of Santa Monica or Westwood area and for USC we were looking at the South Bay area (but that is still a hike to campus too). I think a number of people live downtown (I have a couple of friends who did that but I havent asked what the commute would be like b/c it wasnt something that we were even considering)
Re: Calling All 2010 USC Marshall Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2010, 08:49

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24    Next  [ 472 posts ]