Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 17:15
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [1] , given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in for R1. Hopefully I don't run out of time :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
reposting my question on my earlier thread.

Does anyone know what Booth adcom prefers to see (format-wise) on the extracurriculars? Do they want the extracurriculars typed out in one essay, or bulletpoint format is more preferable?

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth-Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 2

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 07:31
This post received
KUDOS
kt2011 wrote:
In for Round 1.

Question for current/prospective students or alums: I have not yet made my campus visit to Booth. Do you think its crucial? I can do a visit in the next few weeks, but since there are no ongoing classes, the only visit option is an "abbreviated schedule" visit that includes an info session and a tour, amounting to a total of about 1.5hr. Is this something I should consider?

I agree with Passivation, Booth Live is great way to know the school better and also you can meet around 20-30 prospective student. However, it you can only do the abbreviate schedule I would recommend that you take the opportunity to speak with current students, send an email to admissions and ask them for a couple of student contacts.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 08:22
Xerion wrote:
kt2011 wrote:
In for Round 1.

Question for current/prospective students or alums: I have not yet made my campus visit to Booth. Do you think its crucial? I can do a visit in the next few weeks, but since there are no ongoing classes, the only visit option is an "abbreviated schedule" visit that includes an info session and a tour, amounting to a total of about 1.5hr. Is this something I should consider?

I agree with Passivation, Booth Live is great way to know the school better and also you can meet around 20-30 prospective student. However, it you can only do the abbreviate schedule I would recommend that you take the opportunity to speak with current students, send an email to admissions and ask them for a couple of student contacts.

Thanks Xerion. Good to know. I too have limited PTO days so the abbreviated schedule is my best option as well.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 35

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 14:33
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone, I need a little advice here, i´m taking the GMAT the last week of september and going to Chicago the first week of october to a class visit, also i´m already register for an student event and school event in august in my home country. I already start working on my essays but it´s killing me, between a full time job, gmat and essays go figure. How advantageous is to apply r1 rather than r2? should i relax and go for it on r2? or just do everything i can to go r1?

tks
1 KUDOS received
Stanford Thread Master
Schools: Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 68

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 18:02
This post received
KUDOS
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 22:28
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 22:30
Gacarva wrote:
Hey everyone, I need a little advice here, i´m taking the GMAT the last week of september and going to Chicago the first week of october to a class visit, also i´m already register for an student event and school event in august in my home country. I already start working on my essays but it´s killing me, between a full time job, gmat and essays go figure. How advantageous is to apply r1 rather than r2? should i relax and go for it on r2? or just do everything i can to go r1?

tks

You sound like you might put together a better application if you apply in R2. Bottom line, submit your application when you are sure you are ready.

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 15:26
This post received
KUDOS
In for R1!!! Re-applicant from last year.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [1] , given: 53

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Does anyone know, would drawings or some other type of artwork be appropriate for #3? Or are they looking for at least partly text?

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 19:41
This post received
KUDOS
Michmax3 wrote:
Does anyone know, would drawings or some other type of artwork be appropriate for #3? Or are they looking for at least partly text?

I think the emphasis is on communicating information that supports your candidacy and your story, so the drawings should be fine as long as they're communicative. You definitely don't want to share 4 slides of drawings/artwork that leave the admissions officer puzzled and struggling to understand what you are trying to convey :)

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [1] , given: 53

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 22:10
This post received
KUDOS
yeah guess I can't make it too abstract :)

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 15:42
Michmax3 wrote:

I think the key is to find the right balance between creativity and substance. The greatest level of creativity that lets you portray the minimum amount of substance you want to communicate would be optimal.

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 08:04
This post received
KUDOS
Throwing my hat into the ring. Count me in for the 1st round.

GMAT Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 05:18
This post received
KUDOS
When writing essay 3, does anyone have any opinion on using personal picture vs. pictures from google? I haven't been much of photo person, so I really don't have the right pictures to complete the story. So I am wondering how google pictures would work out. Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
Does anyone know what a Chicago Booth-sponsored Fall Event entails? These events are about 2 hours and besides the face time, I'm wondering exactly what it entails. Thanks!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: rd1: Haas, Ross ; rd2: ISB

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 15

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
justdoit123 wrote:
When writing essay 3, does anyone have any opinion on using personal picture vs. pictures from google? I haven't been much of photo person, so I really don't have the right pictures to complete the story. So I am wondering how google pictures would work out. Thanks!

I think that either one should do as long as it fits well into what you are presenting. Bottom line, you need to get your message out clearly and make an impact. They've just provided a visual medium to convey unlike the essays.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
Essay #3 is still the mystery box that just keeps on throwing curveball @.@ No flash, no moving object yet too many words will not be good. Thus, I need to show my uniqueness with a picture that screams out the subtlety of my candidacy. I still have no idea on that. Maybe I'm not a good fit for Booth?!!

Booth seems to be really active in chat series. I sign up for off-campus event and I get an e-mail everyweek regarding video chat and other online events. Do the adcom actually check who logged on? If so, I better get on it :)
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
chostein wrote:
Essay #3 is still the mystery box that just keeps on throwing curveball @.@ No flash, no moving object yet too many words will not be good. Thus, I need to show my uniqueness with a picture that screams out the subtlety of my candidacy. I still have no idea on that. Maybe I'm not a good fit for Booth?!!

Booth seems to be really active in chat series. I sign up for off-campus event and I get an e-mail everyweek regarding video chat and other online events. Do the adcom actually check who logged on? If so, I better get on it :)

You should attend an event if you're seeking new information, but don't attend all of them (they aren't that different).

The PowerPoint definitely takes more time than any traditional essay I've written.

Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!!   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2010, 08:07