Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HEC Paris, , Tepper
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 17:11
This post received
KUDOS
I think an MBA is a longterm investment. As such, it comes with risks.

While trying to weigh the value of the investment, you might want to ask; what is the worst thing that could happen, if you do an MBA.

I am guessing that for many, the worst scenario is to be unable to find a job after graduation. No one would want to be jobless with a huge student debt. Tepper's latest (Class of 2010) job placement stats are encouraging: the rate of job acceptance after 3 months is87 % (88 for American students and 84 for internationals). Still, everyone and every year are different.

If you can accept the risks, whether it is remaining jobless or remaining at the same salary level, MBA can offer much more than just a prompt promotion or fast track to the chair of CEO; it is an opportunity to network with diverse people, experience the new home town, and make memorable 2 years and beyond.

This may sound luxurious. I agree. Regardless of the program, the capacity of doing MBA is an luxurious option from any standard. That's why the schools search for people who have the greatest potentials to give back to the societies, companies, communities etc., what the students are getting during the next two years.

If you like my post, a kudos is not expected but appreciated

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 20:33
This post received
KUDOS
BlueRobin wrote:
Do International applicants need to enter a GPA or can i just leave it blank.

I did calculate my GPA from wes iGPA and can enter it, but I am concerned whether I am eligible to enter my GPA because my transcript does not have a GPA listed on it?

Just enter the calculated GPA. My undergrad university didn't calculate GPA so it's not on my transcript, but I entered what it should be, and I was admitted R1.
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 80179

CAT Tests
Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
went through all the pages and updated the excel sheet. can people pls add/edit the the excel document.

thanks
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Ross, Darden, Kellogg, McCombs, Tepper, Georgetown
WE 1: Management Consulting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 15:16
This post received
KUDOS
updated my stats...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 24

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
fbardolph wrote:
Is anyone a US resident who's requesting a Skype interview? They seem pretty heavy handed about wanting you to visit in the email. I lack the time or ca$h to make it back east this winter. Can anyone commiserate?

Have you been to the school before, or would this be your first visit? If you haven't been, I think it's pretty important to go. The school makes a very good impression when you go there in person, and I'm sure the AdCom is aware of that.

One hint: Jet Blue serves PIT, and they often have sales. My flight was < $100 (from NYC).
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 21:09
This post received
KUDOS
treehugger wrote:
This is my retake score :) I came to terms with the fact that I am a poor test-taker and stopped taking more GMATs
I have'nt hear back form SOM yet, but again with my low GMAT i dont know what to expect :(

My number one choice is still YSOM

treehugger,

Since this is Tepper thread, I try not to derail too much.

If you feel that you're finding the "standard testing" portion of GMAT tough, as opposed to the maths and English themselves, don't give up yet.

Have you tried to explore different GMAT prep materials/books? The books out there have different instructional styles, and you may find one better suited to you.

I can speak of this from my own experience; after studying all the Manhattan GMAT verbal books, I scored a fair score (in the 30s) in Verbal. Then I discovered that the books by Veritas that "spoke to me" better. In my retake, I scored 40 in verbal.

I am not recommending the Veritas books or any other prep companies per se. Instead, I encourage you to explore different ways to improve your GMAT score, if you have not done so yet.

Good luck!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford Said Business School
WE 1: Team Lead for IT Offshoring projects

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 19

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
mv2010 wrote:
I received a very strange application update email from Tepper this morning..Scared the living daylights out of me... :( And it was nothing...Did everyone get it?

i too got it..." Due to the large volume of mail and applications that we receive around our application deadlines, please understand that it will take us some time for your application materials to be processed. ". Probably just means stop bugging us.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 22:00
This post received
KUDOS
mackd wrote:
mv2010 wrote:
I received a very strange application update email from Tepper this morning..Scared the living daylights out of me... :( And it was nothing...Did everyone get it?

i too got it..." Due to the large volume of mail and applications that we receive around our application deadlines, please understand that it will take us some time for your application materials to be processed. ". Probably just means stop bugging us.

Hahaha yeah!! But, for a moment i thought that it was the decision mail...Man, am i jumpy these days!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
BlueRobin wrote:
Is it common for your application to show transcripts received (Not Official)?

Indian applicants, did you attach a scanned copy of your degree certificate as well to indicate the graduation date?

Thanks.

I'm not from India, but my undergrad degree is not from the US, and I did do what you describe.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 12:36
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Codename47,

Ya, I have an interview with member of student services (Monique Moreland) on Feb 2nd. I had the interview with one of the admissions staff, and looks like his schedule changed suddenly. So they sent me an email that I will interviewed by Monique.

Does someone has any interview experience with student services committee? Please share.

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 157

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 01:52
This post received
KUDOS
rao wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:
The tepper admissions team seems slow in replying or updating important queries.

I avoided calling them for the fear of getting blacklisted, but seems like I need to contact them more frequently and get my things sorted out.
Any suggestions?

Tepper admission ppl are usually the best in my experience. When I was deciding between school they were the most responsive. What is that you are looking from them? If its some generic stuff you may want to post it on tepper adcom forum under unanimous name ... my 2 cents

Thanks for the reply Rao,

Its not generic, my application turned incomplete even though I submitted all the listed documents by January deadline.
I emailed Carol stating the problem and also attached a scanned copy of my degree transcript assuming, it might solve the problem.

Carol said Thanks for the copy, I added it to your file. She never replied as to why my app was incomplete.

Comon why is my application still Incomplete? Confusing me!

Last edited by BlueRobin on 31 Jan 2011, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 05:15
This post received
KUDOS
BlueRobin wrote:
rao wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:
The tepper admissions team seems slow in replying or updating important queries.

I avoided calling them for the fear of getting blacklisted, but seems like I need to contact them more frequently and get my things sorted out.
Any suggestions?

Tepper admission ppl are usually the best in my experience. When I was deciding between school they were the most responsive. What is that you are looking from them? If its some generic stuff you may want to post it on tepper adcom forum under unanimous name ... my 2 cents

Thanks for the reply Rao,

Its not generic, my application turned incomplete even though I submitted all the listed documents by January deadline.
I email Carol stating the problem and also attaching a scanned copy of my degree transcript assuming maybe it will solve the problem.

Carol says Thanks for the copy, I added it to your file. She never replied as to why my app was incomplete.

Comon why is my application still Incomplete? Confusing me!

I would say you can politely ask adcom about the status. If you need my help PM me and I can try and find the right person.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
StewieGriffin wrote:
Hi Guys,
I interviewed on campus today with Devin Bownes. Very conversational interview. No grilling!
1. Careeer and education
2. Why MBA?
3. What after MBA
4. Leadership Style
5. Team conflict situation
6. Strengths and weaknesses
7. Contribution to Tepper
8. Why Tepper
9. Interests outside of work.

Did the whole campus visit thing too. I fell in love with Pittsburgh, can see myself living there :)., was even contemplating the neighbourhood I would live in. I loved the small class size and a lot of other things about Tepper. Well, fingers crossed now!

All the best to ppl interviewing and those waiting. Btw, check up on the weather report before heading into Pittsburgh.

This is why they insist you visit, the place makes a strong impression... I'm really looking forward to being back, and the weather for Sunday looks OK!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
lakshmiraj wrote:
Even I have the same problem with my application status showing 'Incomplete'. I mailed Ad Com about it. They said they'd look into it and get back to me. Meanwhile, they confirmed that my application will be considered for R2. I have an interview invite, so All is Well I guess...

I hadn't looked at my application page since getting the interview (and at that point it wasn't even updated), but now it says:

Stage 2: Application Complete Pending Interview

but below, under Application Status, it does say incomplete.

My guess is that it only becomes complete after the interview.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
silverdragonn wrote:
I have this status:

" Stage 2: Incomplete Application received - Please submit required documents (details below)"

I have two "unofficial" university transcripts. Also, I have this:
# Other Supporting Documents:
* Application Fee: Received (Official)
* Employment Record: Received (Official)
* Evaluation 1: Not Received
* Evaluation 2: Received (Official)
* Resume: Received (Official)

What's "Evaluation 1"?

I'm guessing it's a letter of recommendation
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
I just finished my Skype interview with James Frick 10 minutes ago. He called me at 10 am. EST right on the dot.
He started with casual conversion about my day, the weather, etc.
The questions (not in this exact order, but this is as far as I can remember). The whole interview was very more conversational, more like a dialogue. No grilling.

1. resume walk through
2. why MBA/why now
3. why consulting (which is my career goal)
4. why Tepper
5. what kind of leadership do I value
6. how do I evaluate myself in that said leadership attribute
7. how can my leadership quality contribute to Tepper
8. what challenges do I face at work
9. how do I manage that, What kind of strategy do I have?
10. How do I always 'hit the ground running'? what is the 'best-practice' for me. (I think this question was asked because I changed jobs 3 times in 2.5 years but I always performed very well)
11. what do I do when I have free time

Lastly, he asked whether there was anything I wanted to ask him.

That is pretty much all I can think of.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 20:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
Someone has asked earlier "what makes or breaks the deal for those interviewed, given the high percentage of candidates interviewed?

The views below are my own personal views. However, I do hope that they shed light on the matter for people who have applied for round 2.

I felt that CMU cares about 2 points: 1) commitment to attend to CMU if admitted, and 2) likability.

1) CMU knows that it is a borderline top 15 school. Thus, the school's yield is lower that it would like to see. Also, Pittsburgh is - ahem - not one of the most glamorous locations. The winter there is harsh, and the city is relatively unknown.

You should give very specific reasons WHY CMU stands out as the best program for you. People with engineering background will have an easier time to explain their fit, but remember: as many as 50 % of admitted students come from an engineering background. You should buttress your preference beyond your background, to distinguish yourself.

2) Likability.

Given the high percentage of the engineering candidates, the most prevalent "personality flaw" is that candidates lack smooth, well rounded social skills. I am not saying this is correct - I am just pointing out a generic (mis)conception that is prevalent.

You would like to show that you are an active, engaging, and likable person to overcome this generic stereotype, especially if you are from engineering background.

To give a concrete example, let's assume that you have won the Nobel prize in Physics. You think that this is a very impressive achievement, that should lead you to be accepted almost automatically. Not so fast.

If you tell the adcom that "well, my biggest achievement is the Nobel Prize in Physics" and remain mum for the rest of the interview, the adcom may not be as impressed as you thought they would. Why? because this kind of behavior just reinforces the stereotype that engineers (or scientists) are brilliant but not social.

Instead, the adcom will be more impressed if you tell them a story that you are a keen mountain climber and that you led a group of teenagers to climb the Everest last summer.

Then, at the end of the story, you add "while seeing the sunrise, I realized the major flaw in the current quantum physics. After going back home, I wrote the thesis that lead me to win the Nobel prise in physics!"

Admittedly, the above example is somewhat extreme. However, I do hope that it delivers the messages I had in mind, that I believe are important to succeed in CMU interview.

Good luck to all!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
ankurhbti wrote:

Yes smtimes even without an application :lol: (no offense ment)

hahahha...I wish!! No offense taken :lol:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 01:00
This post received
KUDOS
aakaps wrote:

Just got an interview invite!! That too when I had lost all hope :)

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
wmcrockett wrote:
For anyone that applied R1 or R2 - what's the time deadline for the application? Is it 5PM or Midnight? I'm stressing trying to get everything completed and not sure if I'll have the evening or not to work on it. HELP??

I submitted in the morning so I didn't check. Don't waste time on that, I'll find out and PM you.
Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2011, 10:22