Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 May 2011, 11:37
I am still deciding. How was admit weekend? Pittsburg vs. Cali?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 May 2011, 11:56
westcoastapp wrote:
I am still deciding. How was admit weekend? Pittsburg vs. Cali?

To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised at my admit weekend experience. I got into a few other schools and had visited two of the others in consecutive weekends before my CMU trip. I had heard some various opinions about each of the schools I was considering, but when I got to Tepper, I was really impressed with how many of the current students showed up at the event. I had a chance to speak with multiple people who were pursuing similar career tracks and got a feel for how the program has impacted them. I also got along with the incoming students very well (many had already committed and I was one of the few still deciding at the time).

I took some time after my visit to evaluate each program before choosing Tepper and, to this point, I'm very happy I did. I intend to do technology product management / marketing so Tepper made sense for me even though it was in Pittsburgh.

As for the decision with CA vs PA, I went to UCLA undergrad so I didn't want to be back in LA. I applied to Berkeley, but deep down I was looking to get out of California and expand my business network a little more. What school are you comparing it to in CA?

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 May 2011, 12:01
Yes, it does. I have heard the CMU admit weekend was great from a few people and wish I was able to attend. I too am looking to get out of Cali and do something different but I have to say Pittsburg is a little intimidating. I am interested in finance / energy finance and am in at McCombs, waitlisted at Booth & Duke so I have some choices to make. Thanks for the information. I feel like I might need to make a trip out to Pittsburg.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 May 2011, 12:09
westcoastapp wrote:
Yes, it does. I have heard the CMU admit weekend was great from a few people and wish I was able to attend. I too am looking to get out of Cali and do something different but I have to say Pittsburg is a little intimidating. I am interested in finance / energy finance and am in at McCombs, waitlisted at Booth & Duke so I have some choices to make. Thanks for the information. I feel like I might need to make a trip out to Pittsburg.

Yeah, I would highly recommend you go visit both schools. I know it would've been very tough for me to make decision without getting feel for the campus environment in person. Unfortunately, I think most programs are done for the year, but you will still be able to see the buildings and the cities. McCombs is a great program too, but I truthfully don't know much about it. The only thing I have heard is that many people who graduate from there progress to jobs in one of the large Texas cities. One benefit that I saw in Tepper was the diversity of locations that people take jobs in. I plan to come back to CA immediately if not soon after grad school so this was important to me. However, you should definitely ask each school about the job opportunities wherever you hope to work/live post-grad.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 03:22
did any of the waitlisters hear from Tepper on 27th (R4 decision date)?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 18:45
ahhhhh.... Wait listed for round 4.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 16:21
Hey, I am currently in so cal and have placed my deposit for Deposit for Tepper. Haven't been able to make a trip out there yet. How are all the west coasters arranging housing?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 12:41
ksharma12 wrote:
Hey, I am currently in so cal and have placed my deposit for Deposit for Tepper. Haven't been able to make a trip out there yet. How are all the west coasters arranging housing?

Hi ksharma,

I am an incoming student from CA and I was able to research & find a housing option by doing the following:

1) Looked online at individual realtors sites and craigslist
2) Selected companies that had locations I liked and called about availability
3) Explained that I was in CA and asked for them to send me photos
4) Asked a friend in Pittsburgh to go look at a few of the places in person
5) Selected one of the places that my friend said was nice and faxed paperwork to company

I think #4 will be your biggest challenge, but you should contact some current students that are still in Pittsburgh and see if they are free to go look at places for you. You can always fly out there and look at places (as some other students will also do), but it is a long trip for just a couple days. Lastly, don't make a decision based upon only the pictures you receive because a couple of places that looked good to me were reported as indecent by my friend.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 13:27
CAmba11 wrote:
ksharma12 wrote:

Hi ksharma,

I am an incoming student from CA and I was able to research & find a housing option by doing the following:

5) Selected one of the places that my friend said was nice and faxed paperwork to company

I think #4 will be your biggest challenge, but you should contact some current students that are still in Pittsburgh and see if they are free to go look at places for you. You can always fly out there and look at places (as some other students will also do), but it is a long trip for just a couple days. Lastly, don't make a decision based upon only the pictures you receive because a couple of places that looked good to me were reported as indecent by my friend.

Good luck!

Hey thanks for your detailed input. That really does help. But I am assuming you are living alone? If I have to I will make a trip out there, but I think I would want a roomate. Any other westcoasters in the same position?
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.05
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 16:38
I'm in Philly, but I have done a fair bit of wandering around Pittsburgh looking at places. My fiancee and I just found a great place in Shadyside and will be heading back and forth off and on through the rest of the summer. I will try to help where possible.

(P.S. In the building we found our landlady is renting the top and bottom apartments and they will be ready August 1 or a bit earlier [we are moving in throughout July]. It's a house with only the three units and I think we'd prefer some neighbors who are also CMU grad students [versus Pitt or CMU undergrads] and it's in about the perfect location. PM me if you want more info)

* The opinions expressed here are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my school, the Tepper School of Business.

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2011, 13:24
anyone know when their final review is for people on the wait list? I remember reading sometime in June but any specifics?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2011, 21:05
calimba2011 wrote:
anyone know when their final review is for people on the wait list? I remember reading sometime in June but any specifics?

i had called them yesterday and was informed that the date is not yet finalized. but v should be expecting the final decisions sometime during next week.

all the best!!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 17:04
Just declined my spot, hopefully it opens something up for one of the waitlisters. Good luck!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 09:55
Quote:
Hi ksharma,

Good luck!

I have been looking for a furnished place, but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen. What are you doing about furniture? This process is frustrating...
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 12:08
Hi Ksharma,

I haven't figured out my furniture plan yet. Probably a combination of ordering some new stuff and having it delivered, looking at furniture stores in Pitt, and craigslist.

I probably won't worry about much except a bed until I get there.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 07:39
The silence is deafening! Waiting on this waitlist is worse than waiting for the initial decisions!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 20:23
Yea this waitlist wait sucks. Any waitlist applicant hward anything?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 10:47
Just got my WL reject mail...guess i had already left hope on this one!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 12:12
Just got my WL reject as well.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 17:24
For those on waitlist, still there is a chance some spots will open up. Some of us are on other universities waitlists. It is a cycle. One university moves someone from waitlist in, that person leaves his seat. So don't lose hope yet.
Re: Calling all 2011 CMU- Tepper Applicants   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2011, 17:24