Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana, Texas, Emory
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 10:03
thmgoodw wrote:
Iamnotaprimenumber wrote:
Hey ,
Anyone from the northeast apply to kelley?

Posted from my mobile device Image

I'm not sure how you define Northeast, but I'm in the Philadelphia area. I interviewed in Bloomington for R2 last week.

cheers,

That counts....I'm nyc...just attempting
to gauge northeast interest vsmidwest.
Good luck!!!

Indiana Rd 2 Texas Rd 2 Emory Rd 2

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 21:08
Hi all... Current 1st year Kelley MBA student. These forums were really helpful for me last year, and I wanted to chime in and answer some questions you guys may have. I was a R3 applicant, white male, 27 years old, solid work experience (4.5 years), and not international. I've already got a summer internship offer with the exact company/program I wanted to work for when I decided to enroll in a full time MBA program. Last year we had 100% internship placement for the class of 2011, and I imagine that trend will continue this year.

I will try to answer this question to tcha5782 since they have not had the opportunity to answer yet...

IllustratorBlu wrote:
tcha5782

kinda hard/long question to answer.

how its been so far? students, teacher, and the program. what sticks out to you?
i know you only stated few weeks ago, but hows the marketing program?

It's been great, the weather was much nicer than I expected - it was warm well into November. If you are going back to school, Bloomington is a great college town. I have been to many schools all over the country and few rival the campus and downtown area of Bloomington. That said, it is a "college town" and definitely not a big city.

The student body is fantastic; everyone gets along extremely well - both international and domestic. An example of the student body really living the "Kelley Collaborative" culture can be seen daily. Many students are currently all interviewing, and even if two students happen to be interviewing for the same position they will still help each other (like many of you in this thread). The culture, and general positivity is one thing that really separates Kelley from the others in my opinion. The professors are great, specifically within the Core. For the Core we have one of the top Accounting professors in the country, our Marketing professor is considered one of the top pricing guys in the country, our Operations professor ditched Kenan-Flagler to come to IU - in fact I had the opportunity to go to his home last night and watch the IU @ Michigan State basketball game. They all have many accolades, but one thing I need to point out is that they truly value learning in a classroom environment and manage to keep class very interesting.

The marketing program at Kelley is great, and both marketing academies are fantastic, but I will let the reputation speak for itself there. For example, some marketing offers I have heard (for both full time and internships) were GE ECLP, P&G, General Mills, Kraft, Miller-Coors, and 3M to name a few.

Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have anymore questions!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 21:13
snowflakes wrote:
I received an interview invite and have scheduled a skype video interview for tomorrow. Does anyone know what the attire should be? Is a suit required or is business attire without a suit adequate? Any views on this would be appreciated!

I'm not in admissions or anything, but a suit is always a safe bet for interviews.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Tuck, Johnson, Ross, Kenan-Flagler, Said

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 04:55
KelleyMarketer2012 wrote:
snowflakes wrote:
I received an interview invite and have scheduled a skype video interview for tomorrow. Does anyone know what the attire should be? Is a suit required or is business attire without a suit adequate? Any views on this would be appreciated!

I'm not in admissions or anything, but a suit is always a safe bet for interviews.

Thanks, that's what I will do then!

Manager
Manager
Schools: UCI R1- admit w/ $$$, Cornell R3, McCombs R2- admitted, Kelley R3 - admitted, USC R1-waitlist

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 10:58
I applied last week after seeing that they waived the application fee,
I got an interview invite this Monday.
Quite amazed..
I don't know if I want to live in Indiana, but going ahead and trying to schedule a phone interview sometime nextweek.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kelley Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 11:02
analyst218 wrote:
Quite amazed..
I don't know if I want to live in Indiana, but going ahead and trying to schedule a phone interview sometime nextweek.

...just don't let any previous ideas about Indiana affect your decision. Living in Bloomington is great (I spent 3 years there).
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 11:05
Going to Assembly Hall tonight to watch IU play Minnesota, pretty excited about it. First Big 10 game I'll get to watch in Assembly Hall. Go Hoosiers!
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCI R1- admit w/ $$$, Cornell R3, McCombs R2- admitted, Kelley R3 - admitted, USC R1-waitlist

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 11:15
thmgoodw wrote:
analyst218 wrote:
Quite amazed..

...just don't let any previous ideas about Indiana affect your decision. Living in Bloomington is great (I spent 3 years there).

are you referring to particular events? I dont even have an idea to have any previous idea..lol
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kelley Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 11:18
analyst218 wrote:
thmgoodw wrote:
analyst218 wrote:
Quite amazed..

are you referring to particular events? I dont even have an idea to have any previous idea..lol

No, not any particular events...just a particular view of some "fly over" states. As a midwestern guy who lives in the Northeast now, there is definite perception about some Midwest states (along with a view that New York is the epicenter of the universe).
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden
WE 1: Public Finance, 3 years
WE 2: Corporate Finance - M&A at a BIG 4, 2 years
WE 3: Business Analysis, 1.5 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 12:09
I just interviewed with an adcom over the phone. Great guy, made me feel so comfortable. He was very excited being a part of Kelley, talked great about the community, the school, so enthusiastic! Asked the standard questions, nothing crazy/fancy. Contribution, goals, why Kelley. He gave long and thorough answers to the questions I had. Just a great experience talking with him. Now waiting....
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 07:29
lencheto18 wrote:
I just interviewed with an adcom over the phone. Great guy, made me feel so comfortable. He was very excited being a part of Kelley, talked great about the community, the school, so enthusiastic! Asked the standard questions, nothing crazy/fancy. Contribution, goals, why Kelley. He gave long and thorough answers to the questions I had. Just a great experience talking with him. Now waiting....

Can you pls share the questions you asked the interviewer????
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 09:59
did anyone get in without doing an interview?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 16:01
I was wondering that too about the interview. I didn't really realize the admission interviews weren't required, only recommended, so if I interviewed with adcom at an event before I submitted an app, would they still send an interview invite or is it waiting until admit decisions? Holding to hope still....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 18:14
Interviews are by invite only once you have submitted your application. If you have interviewed before you submitted your application then they will consider your interview that you have already given.
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 19:11
its a scam....you all better interview!
On business week:
Quote:
Applications (admitted and denied) to the newest class: 1,217
Applicants who were accepted to the most recent class: 42 %
Admitted applicants who enrolled in the newest class: 41 %
Applicants wait-listed during the last admissions cycle: 88
Wait-listed applicants admitted for the semester to which they applied: 34
Applicant interviews are: Recommended
Applicants (admitted and denied) who were interviewed: 68 %
Admitted applicants who were interviewed: 100 %

same thing last ranking too...

someone who is invited to interview has a ~ 61% chance of an admit.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 21:40
Hi,
I received my scholarship info- almost 40K USD per year in GA and scholarship. However, i am some better or equally better offers and am finding it difficult to make a decision. Shall do so within a couple of days.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 11:42
I just want to second what Jordan Hendrix wrote. It is extremely important to interview, and Kelley really values the culture and personality of the student body. It is impossible to gauge a personality or fit with only an application. I would also strongly recommend visiting campus if it is economically feasible, because being on campus shows your interest; all schools - Kelley included - value yield.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 11:48
mouse wrote:
Hi,
I received my scholarship info- almost 40K USD per year in GA and scholarship. However, i am some better or equally better offers and am finding it difficult to make a decision. Shall do so within a couple of days.

Hope you decide to come to Kelley. Bloomington is a great place to spend two years.
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT, Duke, Yale, Indiana, University of Hong Kong
WE 1: Operations Manager at Import Wholesaler

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 14:32
I visited Kelley for my interview a couple weeks ago, and cannot even communicate how welcoming and kind every student, faculty, and adcom member was towards me - before, during, and after. If you are considering Kelley, then you really have to visit the campus to do the program justice. Some current students even called me the day I arrived and brought me out for dinner the night before my interview.

I also went to a dining event in my area (Dallas) and had a great time meeting Tim Smith (who wound up being my interviewer), some alumni, and other applicants. If you cannot visit Kelley, then I highly recommend checking out a dinner as I did. It was very helpful. I think the warm collaborative atmosphere at Kelley is one of its strongest qualities, and it definitely needs to be seen first hand to understand.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 04:12
Did any international receive interview?
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants!   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2011, 04:12