Guys I am withdrawing from Kelley, I love the school but another school has come through late in the game with a big offer.
Today I also received a letter from Tim giving me more Fellowship money so that should be released shortly.
I would like to point out a couple of timelines here which have me questioning the merit based aid process:
Applied R2, Interviewed, Admitted with GA ($37.500, over 2 years, 12 hours of work per week)
I decided I was going to ask for some merit based aid.
A buddy who had a scholarship @ Kelley informed me that the notification date for scholarship recipients was April 15th, I timed my request for more aid around this deadline with the hope that some would become available.
I emailed Tim on Apr 12th
Tim never got back to me. After 10 days I left him a voicemail, still no response.
The following week I get a generic email from my interviewer asking if I had any questions etc. To which I replied with the timeline above regarding reaching out to Tim.
My interviewer gets back to me two days later with a "unfortunately all money is tied up."
Still no word from Tim
By now its Apr 25th a few days before the deadline. I wait a couple days then ask for an extension, which is granted.
Shortly after I leave the Facebook group for admits which is run by a current Kelley student.
(I dont really think this makes any difference, but now it does look like I will be withdrawing)
Two days later (today) I get letter from Tim that says I have been awarded 30K over 2 years.
Here is the other schools story which I will shorten:
Admitted w no money ---> ask for extension, 2 days later BIG money offer.
I think schools at and around Kelley level are scrambling to fill their class. Apps are down and they are throwing money at people, if played the right way. To me that revolves around asking for an extension and notifying them of the other offers.
I have never been one to game schools and am fortunate to get any aid anywhere, this last couple of weeks has me questioning the process though. If I had not asked for the extension and paid the admissions deposit would they give me the money after the fact? Same with the other school.
To sum it up:
I asked for more money, they said no
I asked for an extension and played like I was going to leave
Here comes 30k out of thin air.
Aren't they supposed to be teaching us about business?
I'm a skeptic at heart, If you follow my posts I'm always questioning what is said in passing around here.
When you get a letter from Kelley telling you money is gone that is flat out Bull.
If there is anyone who has an extension have you gotten a similar letter?
I wonder if you hold out and I withdraw today will you get my money tomorrow?
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings