Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Simon Graduate School of Business '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 44

Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

The Kelley School of Business at Indiana University

Self Managed Roll Call

Deadlines
Early: November 1
Priority: January 5
Third: March 1
Final: April 15

Last edited by mba20thirteen on 26 Jan 2011, 10:24, edited 12 times in total.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Indiana, Texas, Emory
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
Sure..interviewed mid December, submitted application Jan 4.
Low GPA, 650 GMAT and 5 years financial industry...

Posted from my mobile device Image

Indiana Rd 2 Texas Rd 2 Emory Rd 2

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [2] , given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
Guys I am withdrawing from Kelley, I love the school but another school has come through late in the game with a big offer.

Today I also received a letter from Tim giving me more Fellowship money so that should be released shortly.

I would like to point out a couple of timelines here which have me questioning the merit based aid process:

Applied R2, Interviewed, Admitted with GA ($37.500, over 2 years, 12 hours of work per week)

I decided I was going to ask for some merit based aid.

A buddy who had a scholarship @ Kelley informed me that the notification date for scholarship recipients was April 15th, I timed my request for more aid around this deadline with the hope that some would become available.

I emailed Tim on Apr 12th

Tim never got back to me. After 10 days I left him a voicemail, still no response.

The following week I get a generic email from my interviewer asking if I had any questions etc. To which I replied with the timeline above regarding reaching out to Tim.

My interviewer gets back to me two days later with a "unfortunately all money is tied up."

Still no word from Tim

By now its Apr 25th a few days before the deadline. I wait a couple days then ask for an extension, which is granted.

Shortly after I leave the Facebook group for admits which is run by a current Kelley student.
(I dont really think this makes any difference, but now it does look like I will be withdrawing)

Two days later (today) I get letter from Tim that says I have been awarded 30K over 2 years.

Here is the other schools story which I will shorten:
Admitted w no money ---> ask for extension, 2 days later BIG money offer.

Thoughts:

I think schools at and around Kelley level are scrambling to fill their class. Apps are down and they are throwing money at people, if played the right way. To me that revolves around asking for an extension and notifying them of the other offers.

I have never been one to game schools and am fortunate to get any aid anywhere, this last couple of weeks has me questioning the process though. If I had not asked for the extension and paid the admissions deposit would they give me the money after the fact? Same with the other school.

To sum it up:
I asked for more money, they said no
I asked for an extension and played like I was going to leave
Here comes 30k out of thin air.

Aren't they supposed to be teaching us about business?

I'm a skeptic at heart, If you follow my posts I'm always questioning what is said in passing around here.

When you get a letter from Kelley telling you money is gone that is flat out Bull.

If there is anyone who has an extension have you gotten a similar letter?

I wonder if you hold out and I withdraw today will you get my money tomorrow?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 20:22
This post received
KUDOS
are the R1 results over ??? or is there some other procedure that kelley follows for selection.. i am confused now ..
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 05:12
This post received
KUDOS
@iamwhoiam123

It has to be a formal attire(Tie and Blazer). Looks really good on the video.

Some tips while taking the interview on Skype:

Make sure there is enough lighting in the room.
Keep a data card(Tata, Reliance, etc) handy in case power goes off!
Make sure the back ground is neat (Curtains with pleasant color or a neatly painted wall will surely help).
Keep your mobile fully charged. Sometimes the Skype may crash in the Adcom's system (has happened to me once :D). Under such circumstances, the interview will be telephonic.
Login to Skype 15 minutes before the interview.
Make sure you have aligned the camera properly.
Make sure you don't give awkward expressions (looks really bad on cam).
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kelley Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
KelleyMarketer2012 wrote:
mouse wrote:
Hi,
I received my scholarship info- almost 40K USD per year in GA and scholarship. However, i am some better or equally better offers and am finding it difficult to make a decision. Shall do so within a couple of days.

Hope you decide to come to Kelley. Bloomington is a great place to spend two years.

..since you have Marketer in your username :-D , I just have to say that I had an awesome time when I sat in on a Consumer Insights by Professor Krishnan. He was a very engaging professor and thoroughly enjoyed it. IMHO, it was a good class for prospective students from a subject perspective as pretty much anyone should be able to relate to material in the class (even if they don't have a marketing background like me). Whereas at another Big Ten school I visited, I sat through a Bond Finance class that was about as interesting as watching grass grow.

cheers
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
I had a self initiated interview on campus back in December. I was interviewed by a student, it went for about an hour and there were no real curve balls, just know why kelley...that was super important because out of all my interviews kelley was the one that really gave me a chance to talk about myself as a potential student and what I was interested in besides my current job, revenues, quant ability....I got the sense that they really stressed having that kelley fit and personality. I really admired that. Good luck.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 17:59
This post received
KUDOS
mbanimal2011 wrote:
About to submit application for the March deadline. I was going to wait to hear from a couple of other schools, but kelley is looking better and better. Anyone with a similar profile to mine hear any news they are willing to share? I need to get up to Bloomington and check it out, interviews invite only?

I think you are interested in marketing, and if so certainly Kelley is an awesome place for that. the folks in the marketing academies seem like a very cohesive unit. sort of like a cult, but in a good way :twisted: Kelley definitely has a pretty wide gmat range (as i'm sure you've seen), so I certainly think you would be in the running.

I do think it is uber important to really stress "why kelley", etc., even more than other schools I think. At least that is the vibe that I got. they really want people who want Kelley.

Interviews are invite only at this point. they do have optional self-initiated interviews that prospective applicants can initiate before Jan 1st I think,but after that point all interview invites are done by the admission folks.

Good luck.

Cheers,
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
Unfortunately, it looks like their adcom just posted a blog post the other day reiterating the mid-March expected decision release date. It was staring at me right when I logged in to my Google Reader this AM, taunting me.

Quote:
Lastly, we publish our admissions timeline so that you can know when to expect a decision. This timeline is accurate and you should not expect a decision earlier. We do not offer rolling admission. Our admissions decisions are released via email as published.

http://kelleymbaadmissions.blogspot.com/2011/02/mba-application-review-and-notification.html
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden
WE 1: Public Finance, 3 years
WE 2: Corporate Finance - M&A at a BIG 4, 2 years
WE 3: Business Analysis, 1.5 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
ingoditrust wrote:
I had my interview today and I think f*ed it up. I am an idiot.

I had the same feeling after each one of my interviews. Keep your head up. You never know....were you asked qs you did not expect or why do you say you did so bad?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in!!! Good luck for everyone waiting to hear!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley (Indiana)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
Me too! I'm admitted! So glad to be done with this process. Now, to see what I've gotten myself into...

I had an applicant initiated interview in October, and applied by the Jan. 5th deadline. 720 gmat, mediocre gpa, 4 yrs.

Last edited by tylenoljones on 28 Feb 2011, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT, Duke, Yale, Indiana, University of Hong Kong
WE 1: Operations Manager at Import Wholesaler

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
Just got my email acceptance, very excited!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
in!!!!! Boom son!
Congrats to all...i interview in DC on jan 27...LOW GPA too.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
I got the acceptance also! My first so I am quite excited. I applied on Jan 5th, got the int invite about 6 days later and interviewed on Jan 25th or there about. I thought u bombed the interview, so I guess pol shouldn't assume that a perceived bad interview means a ding.

I have my on campus mccombs interview in 20 minutes. I feel quite a bit less pressure going into the interview

congrats to everyone who got in and best of luck to everyone still waiting

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
I got my e-mail acceptance today too...beyond happy!

29, male, California
3.3 GPA from USC (business/marketing)
650 GMAT
Marketing/social media mgmt background (7.5 yrs total work exp.)

Interviewed in LA on 1/18, applied on 1/20 (extended deadline)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley, WashU, Carlson, McCombs (R2int)
WE 1: 3 years Accounting
WE 2: 4 years Fin Analyst

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
zap311 wrote:
Face-to-face interview in Los Angeles. I'm a US applicant as well.

Anybody from R1 know how long it takes to receive the admit package?

I was admit from R1. You should get a welcome letter this week with scholarship info, and a binder of information shortly after that.

Congrats to all the admits today! I look forward to meeting some of you at the Admit Weekend.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
Just got my acceptance email. Also in at Michigan State, wait-listed at Boston and haven't heard back from Texas.

27 y/o male VA
570 GMAT (the sore spot)
3.1 GPA in engineering from UVA
4.5 years in construction and government IT contracting/management
Face-to-face interview in Jan
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to all the new admits!!

Make sure you try your best to get to experience weekend, they are putting a lot together for you guys, and last year sounds like it was a blast (although I personally missed it).
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 14:49
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks everyone! It looks like everyone is waiting on pins and needles for it and pass the time by replying crazy fast to a new gmatclub post :-)

I got a little bit of money from carlson but not enough for me to switch my choice between the two, even without any cash from Kelley.

So, looks like I will definitely be swinging in for KEW

Tom

Re: Calling all 2011 Kelley Applicants!   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2011, 14:49