Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 02:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Simon Graduate School of Business '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 04:44
raulmba wrote:
Has anyone from R2 got an interview invite ??
I applied in R2 and still awaiting any communication from UNC..

I believe several R2s, including myself, have been interviewed.

What are your stats?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 05:37
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden
WE 1: Public Finance, 3 years
WE 2: Corporate Finance - M&A at a BIG 4, 2 years
WE 3: Business Analysis, 1.5 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 08:57
Count me in for R2. I got invited for an interview, will be having it next week. Thanks for posting qs!!! Can someone share some general examples of ethical dilemmas?
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB(Waitlisted) INSEAD(interview) Kellogg(Re-applicant i/w last time) Johnson(Re-applicant i/w last time) IESE(Re-applicant i/w last time)
WE 1: 4
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 09:27
Hi,

I am applicant from India; received my interview call a couple of days back for round 3.

I had interviwed for Cornell in round one and was dinged. I did an Alum interview and I think did not have the best interview experience. The alum doubted everything I said and cross questioned. Moreover, he has gone to school after some 9-10 years of work ex and therefore kept insisting that I, with a work of 4 years at matriculation, was too young and did not have enough managerial experience. That fact that he graduated in 2009 and was little unhappy with what he got from the market and had to return to India, made him ask weird questions about what if Cornell did not fulfill my expectations etc.

In all I did not enjoy the interview and was kind of put off by his attitude and was almost certain that I was not getting a call from the school.

I am sure I do not want to repeat such an experience; I would want to speak to someone who is keen on exploring positives as well and engage in a more encouraging discussion. I am open to question but not open to be interrogated.

In the light of my experience, I want to ask you guys out here do you think adcom interviews are more on a positive note.

Please help me with deciding who to interview: the adcom or a local alum once again and if that matters.

Also, is anyone flying to UNC for the interview?

I will appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 11:09
mba20thirteen wrote:
raulmba wrote:

What are your stats?

I also applied round 2 and have heard nothing. I guess it's not too late to still get called for an interview? 26 year old male with 3.5 years management experience in Real Estate. My stats are: GPA 3.96 and GMAT 660.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 11:22
mba20thirteen wrote:
raulmba wrote:

What are your stats?

I meant to ask has anyone from India been interviewd?? UGAdawgs are u too an international applicant??

My stats are
GMAT - 680
4.5 years of diverse exp in operations , Sales & marketing
good extra curricular experiences and decent acads..

would like to know every1's opinion..

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 11:23
mba20thirteen wrote:
raulmba wrote:

What are your stats?

I meant to ask has anyone from India been interviewd?? UGAdawgs are u too an international applicant??

My stats are
GMAT - 680

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM,Stern,LBS,Vanderbilt

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 15:54
GMAT - 650. Indian/female/25/nonprofit with 4 years exp.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden
WE 1: Public Finance, 3 years
WE 2: Corporate Finance - M&A at a BIG 4, 2 years
WE 3: Business Analysis, 1.5 years

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 16:38
I am international female from Europe. I just flew to the US for the interview.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB(Waitlisted) INSEAD(interview) Kellogg(Re-applicant i/w last time) Johnson(Re-applicant i/w last time) IESE(Re-applicant i/w last time)
WE 1: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 21:00
Randomness wrote:
Hi,

I am applicant from India; received my interview call a couple of days back for round 3.

I had interviewed for Cornell in round one and was dinged. I did an Alum interview and I think did not have the best interview experience. The alum doubted everything I said and cross questioned. Moreover, he has gone to school after some 9-10 years of work ex and therefore kept insisting that I, with a work of 4 years at matriculation, was too young and did not have enough managerial experience. That fact that he graduated in 2009 and was little unhappy with what he got from the market and had to return to India, made him ask weird questions about what if Cornell did not fulfill my expectations etc.

In all I did not enjoy the interview and was kind of put off by his attitude and was almost certain that I was not getting a call from the school.

I am sure I do not want to repeat such an experience; I would want to speak to someone who is keen on exploring positives as well and engage in a more encouraging discussion. I am open to question but not open to be interrogated.

In the light of my experience, I want to ask you guys out here do you think adcom interviews are more on a positive note.

Please help me with deciding who to interview: the adcom or a local alum once again and if that matters.

Thanks

anyone from India who could suggest what is the best form to interview? Did anyone from India actually fly to UNC for the interview?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 12:45
Any more international R1s who did not hear anything back from UNC yet?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (Accepted + $), Tuck (Accepted), Wharton (WL), Haas (WL), Ross (Accepted), Yale (Accepted), Anderson (Accepted + $$$)
WE 1: 4.5 yrs management consulting at Top-tier firm and then at a life sciences boutique

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 15:18
R3 US-based International applicant, Invited to interview
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kenan Flagler (R2-Interviewed - Ding), Tuck (R3 - Ding), UCLA (R2 - Ding), Haas (R3), Tepper (R2-Ding), McCombs (R2 - Ding w/o Interview), Simon (R2-Admit)
WE 1: 6

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 21:25
R2 applicant. I had my interview with an alum on 8th Jan in Mumbai, India.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 22:16
raulmba wrote:
mba20thirteen wrote:
raulmba wrote:

What are your stats?

My stats are
GMAT - 680

Thanks

Hi raulmba,

I'm in the same boat, applied for the dec round but haven't heard anything yet. Indian applicant/680/3years IB, 1 year PE/good extracurrics
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 17:18
count me in for Round 2 ....
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 18:10
gradmad wrote:
count me in for Round 2 ....

What are your stats?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:32
Hey,
Is it worth applying R4? How much harder is it to get in R4? I have owned a marketing company for 6 years, GMAT 650, GPA 3.5. This is very limited information but do I have better than a 30% chance to get in?
Thanks
Brad
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:52
monad2000 wrote:
Hey,
Is it worth applying R4? How much harder is it to get in R4? I have owned a marketing company for 6 years, GMAT 650, GPA 3.5. This is very limited information but do I have better than a 30% chance to get in?
Thanks
Brad

I have heard that the final round, particularly at a 4 or 5 round school, is the toughest to get into. Not only do your credentials have to be on the higher end of the 80% range, but you also have to explain in an interview why you waited so long to apply to their school. It's hard to claim that said school is your #1 choice when you've obviously applied to other schools in previous rounds.

Again... that's just what I've heard. But, it seems logical to me.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM,Stern,LBS,Vanderbilt

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 12:21
Hello All,

I applied for the R3 (01/07) and got an interview invitation on 01/09. I called up the admissions to clarify some doubts and I also asked about who gets the interview invites. They told me that they go through applications which are in progress and filter out high potential candidates and invite them to interview so that the applicants get more time.

In my case the GMAT is only 650 and I have not posted my GPA since I was not awarded in the usual GPA scale. So I guess someone must have manually gone through the applications and then flagged me for interview. I am not sure if this is the case and what to make out of it. But anyways I think it is a good sign.

I am interviewing on campus on 01/28.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 14:17
Randomness wrote:
Hi,

I had interviwed for Cornell in round one and was dinged. I did an Alum interview and I think did not have the best interview experience. The alum doubted everything I said and cross questioned. Moreover, he has gone to school after some 9-10 years of work ex and therefore kept insisting that I, with a work of 4 years at matriculation, was too young and did not have enough managerial experience. That fact that he graduated in 2009 and was little unhappy with what he got from the market and had to return to India, made him ask weird questions about what if Cornell did not fulfill my expectations etc.

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry to hear about that experience with the Cornell alum =(

I interviewed off-campus (in Los Angeles) with Adcom. It was a normal experience, no hard questioning, very standard questions in my opinion. So, I think if you go with Alum instead, they tend to be less predictable in terms of what they'll ask. They receive training/questions beforehand, but I think some Alum ignore that and just ask whatever they want. The upside is that those conversations tend to be more interesting, and if you do well, your evaluation will stand out to the admissions committee. So - it's a toss-up. Me, I don't like unpredictability, so I went with the Adcom.

I personally didn't visit the campus, didn't really see a need. Sure, they look favorably upon it, but I don't think someone would have a huge advantage over someone else if they flew into Chapel Hill vs. doing it locally like I did. I really only visited once I got my acceptance and went to Experience Weekend.

Limegreen
Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants!   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2011, 14:17