Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 02:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Simon Graduate School of Business '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 10:44
jordanhendrix wrote:
Hmmm.
My friend got into KF last year and he was thinking about "gaming" them but before he could, his other schools all sent him letters saying that they know he had been admitted to KF and that is app was now withdrawn.

If you honestly thought is wasn't binding than you get a pass, but if you did what MBA20 is suggesting than its against their policy.

There is a another member on here, forget his name, that has 4 schools EA in his profile!
I think sometimes people can get confused about how these rules work.

UNC/DUKE are both Binding.

Thanks for the story, Jordan.

Sorry shaselai, I didn't mean to come off as harsh. I think many people take the Early Action/Decision disclaimers lightly. Also, I don't see how someone can misinterpret "You should not apply for Early Action if you are not prepared to commit immediately to attending UNC" and "Early Action is an option for applicants who know for certain that they will attend UNC Kenan-Flagler if admitted."
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 10:56
jordanhendrix wrote:
Hmmm.
My friend got into KF last year and he was thinking about "gaming" them but before he could, his other schools all sent him letters saying that they know he had been admitted to KF and that is app was now withdrawn.

If you honestly thought is wasn't binding than you get a pass, but if you did what MBA20 is suggesting than its against their policy.

There is a another member on here, forget his name, that has 4 schools EA in his profile!
I think sometimes people can get confused about how these rules work.

UNC/DUKE are both Binding.

yeah i didnt know it was binding thats why i didnt do Duke EA because i wanted to keep my options open although i would almost def go if admitted...well i got 2 different answers after calling them up.. the first lady told me it's binding, then the person she transferred me to who seems to be a lot more knowledgeable told me it is not binding but it gives earlier decision and less time to decide to accept decision or not (and more down payment). He also said the school does not send admit students names to others at EA/Round 1... but I guess your friend's case kinda scares me so i gonna push it back to R2....

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
^^^Yeah my I was shocked when he told me he got letter from other schools. I applied EA to Duke, on the signature page it says they can give out my name to other schools.

I was thinking EA for UNC, but didn't want to sell my self too short and it came down to DukeEA and TuckEA....went with Duke cause of fit.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 11:05
jordanhendrix wrote:
^^^Yeah my I was shocked when he told me he got letter from other schools. I applied EA to Duke, on the signature page it says they can give out my name to other schools.

I was thinking EA for UNC, but didn't want to sell my self too short and it came down to DukeEA and TuckEA....went with Duke cause of fit.

well it's done.. sent email to change to R2... dont want to risk it....

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 11:10
^^^ yea, i think thats the right call. Ethics aside, that would suck if you got into Yale and had to say no b/c of a binding commitment to UNC.

Disclaimer: No disrespect to UNC I just know Sha wants to go to Yale.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 44

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
jordanhendrix wrote:
^^^ yea, i think thats the right call. Ethics aside, that would suck if you got into Yale and had to say no b/c of a binding commitment to UNC.

Disclaimer: No disrespect to UNC I just know Sha wants to go to Yale.

Agreed. Wise choice.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kenan-Flagler
WE 1: Project Management
WE 2: Entrepreneur
WE 3: Real Estate
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 16:38
This post received
KUDOS
Just submitted 100% of the application tonight.

Congratulations to all of those with interview invites. If I can give one piece of advice........make the trip to Chapel Hill for the interview. If you are not 100% sold on Kenan-Flagler now, you will be after visiting.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA, YOS, Johnson, UNC.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 21:06
This post received
KUDOS
mba20thirteen wrote:
ineedtoknow wrote:
Count me in for R1, I am a re-applicant and the admin told me that I may not be interviewed again. China Mainland.

Done. What are your stats (GMAT, GPA)?

Gmat 720, GPA 80 based on 100.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA, YOS, Johnson, UNC.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 17:32
I submitted my application yesterday and got a email for interview this morning. It is so quick!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2010, 01:44
After submitting application, I got an interview invitation within 3 hours. I think KF might want to take interview every applicant.
Lastly I'm not aware about the pros and cons of EA as apart from all the other things one of my criterion to select a school in US whether they can at least write in their web site that they can grant loan without cosigner for the intl students.
That is why I don't opt CMU which is otherwise very good fit for me.
Now I've a query to other forum member. Probably I'll apply to Hass at their second deadline. So if I get chance in KF that means Hass will not process my apps?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (R1), Duke (EA-Open Interview), Darden (R1-Interview + Withdrawn), Ross (R1)
WE 1: 3 years Online Mrktng Rsrch / Pharmaceuticals
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 16:33
shaselai wrote:
mba20thirteen wrote:
shaselai wrote:
actually i applied to R1 not R2. and for R1/EA it doesnt seem to be binding cause it says you are required to pay fee to save a spot.... so if you dont want the spot you dont pay? it doesnt seem to be like Duke's where it actually says "drop all other apps".

Moved you to R1.

To quote KFBS: "You should not apply for Early Action if you are not prepared to commit immediately to attending UNC."

If you apply to Early Action and then pick a different school, then you're unethically gaming the system... in my opinion.

there's also the part wanting to know decision early which i do... i mean i finished the app on time so i figured i might as well submit it... oh well we'll see what happens...

When you submit EA for Duke, part of the agreement is that you contractually agree that you did not and will not apply Early Action / Early Decision to any other MBA program.

I would seriously advise contacting UNC or Duke and telling them that you need to be moved to the first non-binding round.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (R1), Duke (EA-Open Interview), Darden (R1-Interview + Withdrawn), Ross (R1)
WE 1: 3 years Online Mrktng Rsrch / Pharmaceuticals
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 16:59
Count me in for R2!
Intern
Intern
Schools: dont know yet

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 19:58
mba20thirteen

how good is the marketing program at UNC?

Side note, going to apply next year. I'm still working on my school list has we speak.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 20:14
i too have the same experience - havent filled anything barring profile details like name etc. still got an interview; that makes me take the interview call not as a positive indicator :-)
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 07:11
IllustratorBlu wrote:
mba20thirteen

Side note, going to apply next year. I'm still working on my school list has we speak.

Hi IllustratorBlu,

Kenan-Flagler is very strong in marketing. Businessweek puts it as a top-10 marketing program, and from what I've heard from current students and administrators, KFBS students are highly recruited for marketing positions, specifically on the East Coast.

You'll find that the top marketing schools usually mentioned are Kellogg, Ross, Fuqua, Wharton, Kenan-Flagler, and Haas.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 20:31
Got an interview invite in less than hour of saving information on the application.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 19:11
Guys, I have submitted for UNCKF R1 too. Got an interview call before submission too (Didnt receive it before submitting GMAT and personal Details) and have a campus interview early November.

1. - Does anyone know what kinda questions they ask ?

2. - Roughly how many applications are there in R1 and how many do they look to accept? - (Just a rough estimate?)
Intern
Intern
Schools: dont know yet

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 01:20
mba20thirteen wrote:
IllustratorBlu wrote:
mba20thirteen

Hi IllustratorBlu,

Kenan-Flagler is very strong in marketing. Businessweek puts it as a top-10 marketing program, and from what I've heard from current students and administrators, KFBS students are highly recruited for marketing positions, specifically on the East Coast.

You'll find that the top marketing schools usually mentioned are Kellogg, Ross, Fuqua, Wharton, Kenan-Flagler, and Haas.

US news didn't mention UNC.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... /marketing

Side note going to add UNC on the list.

kinda old, but I'm guessing its still on point

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/mb ... wmarketing

Thanks again.
Intern
Intern
Schools: IESE Business School

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 02:20
Add me to R1 too. I have an interview invite from UNC and waiting for Nov.1 to initiate an international alumni interview.
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 08:47
IllustratorBlu wrote:
mba20thirteen wrote:
IllustratorBlu wrote:
mba20thirteen

Hi IllustratorBlu,

US news didn't mention UNC.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... /marketing

Side note going to add UNC on the list.

kinda old, but I'm guessing its still on point

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/mb ... wmarketing

Thanks again.

KFBS is #13 in Marketing on US News... but honestly, Businessweek's specialty rankings are more accurate. US News tends to put alot of the top 10 schools in the top 10 specialty rankings (hence Stanford at #4, HBS at #5, and CBS at #6).
Re: Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants!   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2010, 08:47