Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 204

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 08:31
Hi all!

I've checked the tests section in my online application, and GMAT is "selfreported" and "verified", but TOEFL is only "selfreported".

Anyone else with the same issue?

Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [2] , given: 27

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
gmatpapa wrote:
Quote:
Essay 2: At Chicago Booth, we believe each individual has his or her own leadership style. How has your family, culture, and/or environment influenced you as a leader?

In this question, can we write about the work environment and professional activities that have influenced us as a leader or should only non professional activities be listed here?

I have prepared for both actually and depending on the requirement of the essay, will decide whether I'd want to give this essay a mixed flavor..

Any suggestions?

You know I think this is one of the most open ended questions on any application I've seen..They've specifically mentioned family & culture, but by including 'environment' they've opened up the door to virtually anything under the sun...The 'environment' being referred here could be professional, political, social, economic or whatever...Won't elaborate on professional or social since they are the most obvious ones..but regarding the other two examples...

Political environment.. say someone interacted intensely with really strong political leaders (Arab Spring :?: ) or actively participated in any sort of social revolution in a country, his/her leadership style could've been influenced heavily by this experience and this might make for really good essay points

Economic environment..so say someone got laid off during the recession of '08-'09 and then formed a self-help kinda group to help out people in similar situations.. or ..perhaps he/she met someone at that time who was really inspirational and that motivated him/her to get a new job & look at life with a new perspective...this could've influenced his/her leadership style in a big way as well...

So...long story short..In my opinion, the essence of this essay is to list the TOP factors that have influenced your leadership style the most and weave it into a nice story that shows your progression and maturity of leadership...if your influencing factors are professional, so be it, if they are not, nevermind...

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 14:47
I've started to answer the question "Why did you choose these two recommenders?" and I'm writing very much. Anybody knows any word-limit for this section?

Thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 75

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 15:06
Agree with you scorpionz..

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 75

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 15:09
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
I've started to answer the question "Why did you choose these two recommenders?" and I'm writing very much. Anybody knows any word-limit for this section?

Thank you!

I dont think there's any word limit (probably because they don't see a need for a limit here as generally no one is going to write much here!)

As for me, I've included just one sentence per recommender, briefly highlighting that they've seen my work closely..

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 44

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 06:54
Does anybody know whether they review the ppt by printing it out or on the computer? (ie. Could they see animation?)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 10:40
tlbkcal wrote:
Does anybody know whether they review the ppt by printing it out or on the computer? (ie. Could they see animation?)

Point no. 3 in the Essay Guidelines -

The document will be viewed electronically, but we cannot support embedded videos, music or motion images.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 12:27
scorpionz wrote:
tlbkcal wrote:

Point no. 3 in the Essay Guidelines -

The document will be viewed electronically, but we cannot support embedded videos, music or motion images.

To be on the safe side, I submitted the slides in pdf format to eliminate the possibility of formatting inconsistencies that could occur with different versions of power point or different local user settings.

Good luck on the application.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 13:49
I'm in for R1
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 14:22
How is everyone approaching the first essay?

I'm a little confused about how much information I should include about my career so far. I realize they are asking for one's career goals, so it would be pretty difficult not to mention anything about your career till date. Even so, do you think we should limit reflecting on our past careers?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all 2012 Chicago Booth applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 16:59
Quote:
1. in the "work experience" section - under each job is asked 'number of direct/indirect reports' - this means the number of people who report to me right? not the number whom i report to (I'm 99% sure just want to be 100% :))

How do you interpret this "indirect"? People who report to people that report to you? People from other organizations who report to you?

For example, I've people working directly for me (I sign their holidays, salaries, etc), and other people who belong to other departments but also work partially for me: there are at least 20 workers from other department who collect data once a month during almost a week just to provide us with this data. I give instructions to their boss regarding the way of reporting everything, even if I'm not his supervisor. Are they working indirectly for me?

I think it's a little bit confusing.

Thank you!
VP
VP
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling all 2012 Chicago Booth applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 18:19
Etreus wrote:
Quote:
1. in the "work experience" section - under each job is asked 'number of direct/indirect reports' - this means the number of people who report to me right? not the number whom i report to (I'm 99% sure just want to be 100% :))

How do you interpret this "indirect"? People who report to people that report to you? People from other organizations who report to you?

For example, I've people working directly for me (I sign their holidays, salaries, etc), and other people who belong to other departments but also work partially for me: there are at least 20 workers from other department who collect data once a month during almost a week just to provide us with this data. I give instructions to their boss regarding the way of reporting everything, even if I'm not his supervisor. Are they working indirectly for me?

I think it's a little bit confusing.

Thank you!

People who report directly to you. The people you give their end of year evaluation.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 18:34
Thank you cheetarah1980!

But, in the online application it's written "direct/indirect", so I don't see it so clear... :wink:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
Thank you cheetarah1980!

But, in the online application it's written "direct/indirect", so I don't see it so clear... :wink:

This was my interpretation. If you are a manager and you manage 3 team leaders, those 3 TLs are directs. If the 3 TLs each have teams of 5, you have 15 indirects. Total 18.

I don't think you should count people across silos but I could be wrong.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 27

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 21:55
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
Thank you cheetarah1980!

Etreus-
I think I understand your question since I had the same doubt...I'm planning to call ad com and find out exactly. Will let you know once I have some info..

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 400 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 02:20
This post received
KUDOS
isst80 wrote:
Etreus wrote:
Thank you cheetarah1980!

This was my interpretation. If you are a manager and you manage 3 team leaders, those 3 TLs are directs. If the 3 TLs each have teams of 5, you have 15 indirects. Total 18.

Yep, what isst said. My manager has 8 direct reports and 9 indirect reports (the people managed by the 8 direct reports). Total team of 17.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 06:28
cheetarah1980 wrote:
isst80 wrote:
Etreus wrote:
Thank you cheetarah1980!

Yep, what isst said. My manager has 8 direct reports and 9 indirect reports (the people managed by the 8 direct reports). Total team of 17.

Got it from the ad-com itself... The interpretation and the illustrations quoted above are spot-on..

Etreus - in your case, the 20 people would not be considered as indirect reports... or at least that's what I understood from the admissions assistant whom I spoke with. If still in doubt, I would strongly advise you to speak with the ad-com and explain your situation so that they can guide you appropriately.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 500 Q30 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.09
WE: Marketing (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 06:59
In for R1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 07:35
Sapphire14 wrote:

I'm a little confused about how much information I should include about my career so far. I realize they are asking for one's career goals, so it would be pretty difficult not to mention anything about your career till date. Even so, do you think we should limit reflecting on our past careers?

Yep makes sense..you would have to reflect on your professional experiences to make a logical connection between MBA, STG and LTG..

Don't know what you exactly mean by 'limit reflecting', but if we talk in %s, I would say not more than 20% of the essay should be dedicated to this...This essay is not really meant to wax eloquent your professional experiences so anything greater than 120-125 words might not leave you with adequate word space to detail out the other aspects of the prompt..

Just my personal opinion!!

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 07:59
scorpionz wrote:
Sapphire14 wrote:

Yep makes sense..you would have to reflect on your professional experiences to make a logical connection between MBA, STG and LTG..

Don't know what you exactly mean by 'limit reflecting', but if we talk in %s, I would say not more than 20% of the essay should be dedicated to this...This essay is not really meant to wax eloquent your professional experiences so anything greater than 120-125 words might not leave you with adequate word space to detail out the other aspects of the prompt..

Just my personal opinion!!

Be strategic about how you speak about your professional experiences. This isn't the Kellogg essay so you don't need to evaluate your career progress. Just pluck out one or two experiences that either led you to choose your STG/LTG or helped prepare you for to reach these goals. If you are making a radical career switch it would be beneficial to explain what led you to see you're in the wrong line of work.

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2011, 07:59