Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 07:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 12:38
This post received
KUDOS
Just got an invite. Time stamp 3:06 EST.

Indian/M/30/GMAT:700/GPA: 3.5/ 4 yrs WE as an Actuary
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 500 Q30 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.09
WE: Marketing (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 05:02
This post received
KUDOS
Let's see if I'll need to hit the bar.....well I guess that's gonna happen regardless, but I want a happy ending. :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 07:23
This post received
KUDOS
Dinged...All the best to others.

The guys who got the interview calls: Go nail them :)
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 76043

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
phew. invite. 9:02am this morning
1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [1] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
prince49 wrote:
pkatmi wrote:
Got dinged as well. Am curious if anyone else who was on the summer waitlist last year also got dinged without even an interview this year.

Sure it's disappointing, but more than that just trying understand what I screwed so bad this year. Or maybe they'd given my candidacy enough thought last year and just did not see me fitting into Booth.

Not the end of the world though. I'm equally excited about the other schools I'm applying to, and hopefully one of them will work out.

Ditto for me pktami - crushed - I was at least expecting them to interview me once again since they kept me hanging on a string all summer.

Onward and upwards I guess!

Guys I think it is even more stressful and unfair towards the applicants to keep him/her with hopes and then ding the next year without giving any chance.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
ls413 wrote:
PTK wrote:
tgtivyleague wrote:
@ PTK

Look at it this way. Even if they take 45% females this year, that still leaves 55% of the slots open for men. It is not the ladies' or the school's problem that the no. of men who apply to B-Schools are way more than the ladies! :)

But yes, I agree that most top schools may end up having a 35%-40% range wrt their female applicant pool this year, keeping in line with their intention of increasing the gender equality in their respective schools.

Cya

This is an assumption I used to arrive to a possible explanation/reason of why Booth dinged dinged today so many people ( I assumed guys).
65% of slots for men last year or 55% slots this year, makes a signigicant difference when it comes to assumed comparison of % admition rates separately for men and women. (way to many assumption I am making today after the Booth's ding).

Overall I belive that this tendency to equate the men/women ratio should not be so sharp at it was last year at Wharton. Such changes must takes years of smooth transition.

I think we are missing a critical piece of the puzzle here. We really cannot just look at people's GMAT scores and GPAs and say that this person should have gotten in or this other person should not have. I also don't think this is about gender either. I do not believe a school would admit someone on the sole basis of gender if that applicant was not qualified for the program.

B-school applications are a holistic process. Essays matter A LOT. They want people who are different and who can round out the class. So, if you're in finance or consulting, for example, you're competing with the thousands of other people who are also in those industries. In the end, it's going to be about how you stand out, what it is that makes your application "sparkle" (to quote Kurt Ahlm), and what kind of contribution you can make to the class.

Sorry to disagree with you, but you CANNOT possibly say that gender or race doesn't play a role when it comes to decisions, and I am not saying this to disrespect female applicants or minority applicants. Some undergrad schools, especially in the west coast where they have overwhelmingly many Asian applicants, flat out say that they limit their pool and look more fondly to other minority students. It makes sense for the school, but for applicants who happen to come from those "common" background - it surely works as disadvantages. I am 100% sure this is the case for business schools as well.

Also, the problem with those terms, such as "holistic process" or "sparkle" are extremely vague terms that don't really mean anything. How much time do you think is spent on adcom's side to take a "holistic" approach to find "sparkles" on each applicant? I am 100% positive that it's merely a fraction of how much time and work applicants spend on their application, not including the time they spend on nervously waiting for their decisions for weeks, sometimes for months since the summer. Yes they get thousands of applications and have a little time - but I really wish that people and school would stop giving out such vague terms. It really doesn't mean much to applicants, whether they're accepted or rejected.

I don't think we are missing any puzzles here. We all know about the weight of GMAT score, GPA etc. GMAT community is a lot smarter than that. Some got dinged not because they don't have "sparkles", aren't unique, or their essays were bad, it's because Booth also "failed" to find the "sparkles". It's alway a two way street. Some schools find them, and some don't. We move on. The end.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
I normally "lurk" here but needed to reply to this thread as I don't think it is constructive or reflective of the type of environment GMAT club tries to be. cheetarah1980 - I agree completely. I was invited to interview at Booth with a 650/3.6 GPA. Yes, I am a woman. However, I manage a large business for a Fortune 50 company. I have direct reports. My company recruits heavily from top 5 MBA programs. I am not trying to change careers, but rather get a foundation in the areas Booth excels and go back to work a better manager and leader. My company does not sponsor MBAs so I will be footing the bill myself. For the rest of my application, I loved my essays. My recommendation letters were great (yes, I read them because my recommenders are mentors to me and shared after submission). I like to think that I have "sparkle" and I am proud that the adcomm saw some of that in my application (especially because I spent so long on each).

To suggest that I only received an invite because I am female is not only insulting, but also misguided and ignores the value candidates can bring to a program outside of a high GMAT score. I think we are all better than that.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
@cheetarah1980

I think you might have misinterpreted what I mentioned above regarding race and gender, and I am not sure why you mentioned about school comparing you to another black applicant. I never said people are getting in just because they're a woman or a minority. We are talking about how gender or race play a role as an advantage to some and disadvantage to others - that's all I said. That's why I gave examples of schools in the west coast, especially in California, being more tough on Asian applicants. Schools flat out admitted that they do limit the pool for Asian candidates. As I mentioned, it makes sense for the school wanting to widen their pool, but can you NOT say that doesn't work as disadvantage to applicants who happen to be Asians, and work as advantages to applicants who are different race, or minority when schools flat out admitted that they want more applicants from such backgrounds?

Also, I am not sure why you think schools don't "bucket" applicants. Schools do have set quotas each year for each region depending on the number of applicants applying and the overall competition among them. While doing this, they will need to bucket applicants by ethnicity, professional background, career goal, region where you live. How can they not? They are all important factors adcoms need to consider for picking out the candidates from each region before looking at the overall picture of entire class of each year.

I never said adcoms look lightly on applications - I'm sure they do the best they can. All I said was I wished school would stop using vague terms like "holistic" or "sparkle" when they are spending merely a fraction of how much time and effort each applicant spend even on ONE essay without even giving them a chance to be interviewed - some waited for weeks, some waited for months and years. Good luck taking a "holistic" approach and finding "sparkles" from applicants without meeting them. Sorry to disagree with you on this one, but for me those terms are meaningless - no matter how much they sugarcoat it.

I guess you can agree or disagree, but unfortunately there are unchangeable things that some applicants need to realistically keep in mind when applying to school whether they like it or not - that's the main point I am making.

Last edited by goodbyeboy on 11 Nov 2011, 12:44, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 09:36
This post received
KUDOS
goodbyeboy wrote:
I'm sorry, where exactly did you see the post to suggest that you only received an invite because you're female? Also, just curious - did you not waive your rights to see the recommendations?

1) She waived the right to demand seeing the recs after being admitted or dinged, but she did not swear under oath that if their recommenders agreed to show her the recs, she would refuse.

2) The problem here is that people talk a lot about "gender and race play a role". Whilst true, it ignores the fact that (as in most sets of populations) the variability within a group is larger than that of the average of a group vs. the average of the other.

Makes sense? For instance, I am Hispanic, but my GMAT is a lot higher than Booth's average. So in an individual situation, it is a bit tricky to go around saying that "race plays a role", because you will frequently encounter people whose specific experience didn't match your observation and... it's just annoying.
1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [1] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
ras245 wrote:
I normally "lurk" here but needed to reply to this thread as I don't think it is constructive or reflective of the type of environment GMAT club tries to be. cheetarah1980 - I agree completely. I was invited to interview at Booth with a 650/3.6 GPA. Yes, I am a woman. However, I manage a large business for a Fortune 50 company. I have direct reports. My company recruits heavily from top 5 MBA programs. I am not trying to change careers, but rather get a foundation in the areas Booth excels and go back to work a better manager and leader. My company does not sponsor MBAs so I will be footing the bill myself. For the rest of my application, I loved my essays. My recommendation letters were great (yes, I read them because my recommenders are mentors to me and shared after submission). I like to think that I have "sparkle" and I am proud that the adcomm saw some of that in my application (especially because I spent so long on each).

To suggest that I only received an invite because I am female is not only insulting, but also misguided and ignores the value candidates can bring to a program outside of a high GMAT score. I think we are all better than that.

I am sorry lady, in my post i did not want to insult any female here at Club or anywhere else.
As a moderator I am fully supportive of friendly and nice environment here. claiming against it I think may sound offensive to someone.
It seems you are miseterpreting what I have said, I just said that being a female is higher probability to get an invite. You have said that you ave been invited due to you are woman. You miht have been invited due to other reason. Insert any other reason except for gender. You are applying wrong critical reasoning here.

I just said that probability is higher for females, given the disproportionately higher number of male vs. female applicants. Moreover accountin for schools' desire to equate males and females in their classes.
Nothing offensive I think. My reasoning is based on simple assumptions and math computations.
None would negate the fact that the competition among indian IT males is higher than for example for persons from Latin America working in Middle Asia in a non-profit (a good friend on mine has this profile).
So I think basically higher probability of getting an invite is not an offense.

Sorry again if I have offended you somehow, it was not my intention.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 100

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 14:28
This post received
KUDOS
ras245 wrote:
Thanks! I definitely thought I was doomed after some of the waiver talk, but my husband talked me out of it. I really do think admissions officers have read enough recommendations to weed out what's real. :) And yes, it is great to have supervisors as mentors. Having mentors has been one of the most important pieces in my career development - a mini MBA.

I thought the same thing about the waiver. I didn't think twice about saying "No" to waiving my rights during the application, then later read on here that it was "bad" and started worrying about it. But the more I thought about it and the different reasons someone would check yes or no, the more I realized the adcoms probably don't care about one check box that is required to have by law. Its never going to be a deciding factor in your application. Just another thing for us to over-think in the application madness!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.52

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Wow... this is a really heated discussion... I think everyone needs to calm down. Some people got invites and others didn't... A lot of this is luck of the draw regarding who read your application, and how they related to you... everyone needs to relax and move on...

Good luck to everyone who is interviewing, and better luck next time to those who aren't. We have all felt our share of rejection regardless of our backgrounds, and remember, no one here rejected anyone else... if you have an issue with the adcom practices, you shouldn't take it out on your fellow bloggers.

Cheers!

PS: I noticed something like 45% on this forum got interviews... that seems high from their general statistics... Looks like competition is going to be really stiff this year!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 17:56
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
Hi guys!

I've seen an interview question that I've not clear: "tell me about yourself".

Would it be the same than "walk me through resume"?

Thank you all!

More or less the same. Maybe the latter suggests you to introduce more about what included on your resume, say more related to your career.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 7

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
srinathreddy wrote:
Hi all, finished my interview on-campus yesterday. The interview was done by an alumnus.

The questions were (not in the same order)
-What are your goals?
-Walk me through your resume
-Tell me about your community service
-Why MBA?
-Why now?
-How would your colleagues describe you?
-Why that industry post-MBA?

One of the current students said that he received a call from adcom when he was admitted. Is this the case for every admitted applicant? I understand that the official notification date is Dec 14th. Does anyone know if they start notifying admitted applicants earlier than that?

Thanks for the heads up. The interview questions sound fairly generic. Did the alum focus on Why Booth? or what you want to get involved in at Booth?

Good luck with the final decision!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 16

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 18:57
This post received
KUDOS
kethee wrote:
Just got back from my off-campus interview. We met at a local Starbucks and my interviewer was very professional. I felt that we had some awkward moments where I thought he would comment but he didn't. I think I rambled for 90% of the time:

1. He started off with why MBA? (threw me off cause I figured he'd want to walk through my resume first, he never asked me to go through it. I also went ahead and answered why now and why booth?)

We got off on a tangent talking about markets and investments (we have a similar background). Then he says he needs to get to the required questions.

2. Tell me about a time you made a decision you regret.
3. Tell me about a time you had to juggle a lot of responsibilities.
4. Are you applying anywhere else?
5. How do you think you'll contribute to Booth?
6. Any questions for me?

I asked him 3 questions. I had more in my pocket, but I could tell he was ready to go. The whole interview lasted about an hour. I'm not too confident that my interviewer liked me...fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!

If the interview went for an hour that's a positive thing, especially given that you veered the conversation off on a tangent and you were both engrossed in that part of the discussion. If the interviewer didn't like you, they wouldn't have had an hour long interview. A buddy of mine got grilled for 90 minutes by his Booth interviewer and he thought he totally bombed it, but he was accepted.

I think we're our own worst critics, so stay positive.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth '13 (M)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 08:59
This post received
KUDOS
SonyRemote wrote:
To current Booth student(s):

Does Booth call admitted candidates prior to the decision deadline? If so, how many days in advance?

Thanks,
Sony Remote

They usually call every admitted student the day before the decision deadline. If you don't receive the call the day before is very liklely that you'll receive a ding.
Good luck to all

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
^hmm, weird! I feel that my behavioral responses are what sets me apart from my peers. I sure hope I get asked some or at least get the opportunity to infuse some anecdotes into my answer. But with that list of questions, it would be hard to do that.

Anyways, thanks for posting those questions. My interview is on campus tomorrow. I'll be sure to report back.

I feel kind of neutral that I didn't get any behavioral questions. On the one hand, like you mentioned, my answers could set me apart from the other applicants. On the other hand, I think I was able to give some very detailed answers that showed that I researched Booth as well as my career goals and the interviewer and I had a nicely flowing "conversation". Equally as important in any interview format is that you demonstrate poise, confidence and those other qualities that make up the "fit" beyond just the answers you give. I'm fine letting my essays do a lot of the differentiating for me.

Good luck with your interview!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
dsg wrote:
I feel kind of neutral that I didn't get any behavioral questions. On the one hand, like you mentioned, my answers could set me apart from the other applicants. On the other hand, I think I was able to give some very detailed answers that showed that I researched Booth as well as my career goals and the interviewer and I had a nicely flowing "conversation". Equally as important in any interview format is that you demonstrate poise, confidence and those other qualities that make up the "fit" beyond just the answers you give. I'm fine letting my essays do a lot of the differentiating for me.

Good point. From looking at those questions, I wouldn't be too upset either. It sounds like a fairly easy interview, at least compared to the other two I've had. In fact, I know the answers to those 7 questions better than I do anything else.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you answer the question of 'if you could change anything?'

I did a ton of prep work and I knew these questions COLD, so I definitely consider myself lucky.

I actually answered that "if you could change anything" question in my optional essay. I didn't graduate with a job and took almost a year before I found something. So, I owned up to being unprepared and talked about how I changed in the ensuing years. My change, obviously, was that I would've been more diligent and prepared in getting a job before I graduated.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 7

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
dsg wrote:

Good point. From looking at those questions, I wouldn't be too upset either. It sounds like a fairly easy interview, at least compared to the other two I've had. In fact, I know the answers to those 7 questions better than I do anything else.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you answer the question of 'if you could change anything?'

I interviewed on-campus this year. The interview lasted the full 45 minutes and time was spent on the following (from most time to least time -- all times approximate):

- Why MBA? Why Booth? (15 min.)
- Resume walk-through / follow-up (10 min.)
- Behavioral questions (10 min.)
- Social questions (hobbies, etc.) (5 min.)
- Questions for interview (5 min.)

So, I'd say behavioral questions were a meaningful part of the on-campus interview.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
I interviewd on-campus with an Alum. Regular introductions followed by expected questions -- why MBA?why Booth? why Now? walk me through your resume, etc. My interviewer took copious notes and asked only 3-4 follow up questions here and there. My interview was not 'conversational' -- i say that because I talked for 25-30 minutues out of 35 minutes that we met :( I don't know what to make of it! My answers were spot on -- or so I think -- and there was no opportunity for me mess up during the interview.

Good luck to us all.
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2011, 07:44