Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 7

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
BStand wrote:
I interviewed on-campus this year. The interview lasted the full 45 minutes and time was spent on the following (from most time to least time -- all times approximate):

- Why MBA? Why Booth? (15 min.)
- Resume walk-through / follow-up (10 min.)
- Behavioral questions (10 min.)
- Social questions (hobbies, etc.) (5 min.)
- Questions for interview (5 min.)

So, I'd say behavioral questions were a meaningful part of the on-campus interview.

Do you recall what those behavioral questions were?

I don't remember the exact wording, but they were nothing out of the ordinary. I think I had 3-4 different questions that probed my leadership style, how I work in groups, how I dealt with an unexpected outcome, etc.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 21:17
This post received
KUDOS
Just thought I'd chime in. My application went under review rather late but I got the invite quite early. I interviewed with an alumnus off-campus about 10 days after I contacted him. Coffee shop at a major landmark. He had tea, I had nothing.

He asked the baseline questions - walk me through your resume, why an MBA, what are your goals, why Chicago, and then a few behavioral q's.

I've been through a lot of interviews by now, and Chicago Booth is the single school I've researched/visited/engaged with the most, so the interview went very smoothly. He would occasionally interject that he could relate to my responses.

He made up his mind about me pretty quickly (like 30 mins or less) and when he opened it up for questions, we ended up chatting for over an hour about all sorts of stuff.

Based on other young Booth alumni I've met and the students I met while there, I can safely say that I'm very impressed. These folks are highly competent, thoughtful and yet capable of action - but without the arrogance or neurosis you often find elsewhere.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 15:01
This post received
KUDOS
I interviewed today with a 2nd year student. It lasted 40 minutes.

Questions included:
- Walk me thru your resume
- What are your goals?
- Why am I interested in consulting?
- Why Booth?
- What is your leadership style?
- How would your friends describe you?
- Extracurriculars
- Hobbies
- Any questions for her

All in all it was very conversational. We went off on several tangents regarding some shared interests. I didn't receive a single behavioral question...but I did use a question about my leadership style to infuse an anecdote of my own.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 06:28
This post received
KUDOS
Alright, so I had my off campus interview with an alum today and we spoke for 2 hours :shock:

He didn't have my resume. I offered him a copy but he said that he had read it prior to coming and he remembered everything on it.. :?
He started off by giving his introduction. This took about 20-25 minutes. The he asked me to tell me everything I wished to. So I basically did a cradle-to-chair in about 30 minutes. Then he asked me to elaborate on Why MBA and Why Booth. Spoke about it for about 15 minutes or so. He then asked what other schools I was applying to. I told him and he in turn told me that three of them were good choices and two of them were crap.. :oops:
He then said that we had about 10 minutes left for any questions I had. So I asked him a couple of questions and he responded with a 20 minute answer.. :roll:
He had another guy lined up for an interview but that guy probably hadn't reached on time. So had a generic chat for another 20 minutes. So it was definitely 2 hours in total!

On the whole it was VERY conversational. He was quite clearly a very proud Booth alum and spoke very passionately about Booth. Got to know a lot of interesting facts about life@Booth that I hadn't heard from anyone in person or read anywhere...

The only problem with the whole conversation was that he was a born & brought up Finance guy whereas I'm nowhere even remotely connected finance. So I didn't understand large parts of what he said.. And asking him too many times about what he was saying would've really made me look stupid.. :oops:
Further he was not at all aware about my current industry and also did not have much insight into my post-MBA industry...So during the Why MBA & Why Booth part, he pretty much sat through with a poker face.. I don't know if I did a good enough job of explaining my reasoning for everything! :oops:

Fingers crossed now! Have no way of saying how it went!!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 17:38
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview couple of days back on campus with a 2nd year student. The interview was more like a conversation and I was asked the following questions:
1. Walk me through your resume?
2. Why MBA? Why Now? quite a lot of time spent on these questions and he also chimed in with his thoughts and opinion. Here he was trying to gauge my true motivations given that I have an engg background.
3. Why Booth?
4. How will you contribute to the Booth Community?
5. ST/LT Goals? Discussion here too...
6. Questions about leadership specific from stuff on my resume...
7. Questions about interests
8. Questions for him

Overall it was a pleasant experience and I felt it went well, off course you always feel you could have done better. Hope this helps. Overall the conversation lasted 50 - 55 mins. Good luck to everyone.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 03:25
This post received
KUDOS
Ok so my 2 cents for much dear clubbers...

I interviewed off campus with an alum and it was completely the opposite of my Wharton interview.. For one - I was happy and not cursing myself when it was done... And the interview was very casual... He didn't even take my resume.. No notes at all.. Just a conversation span over 30 minutes...

I was also asked the why booth? Why MBA? Career goal question.. We went in to a little depth of which other schools and a comparative analysis of my choice.. Luckily I was prepared... didn't really have behavioral questions... Most of them related to what I have done in life and questions around my thought process...

Sent my interviewer a thank you note after an hour to which he replied immediately... Good experience...

Take away - chicago booth interview is entirely dependent on the interviewer!! Its More about knowing you as a person than anything else...

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 1

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
Had my interview yesterday with alum. He started with giving me a brief introduction about himself and his experiences, followed by these questions:

1) Walk me through ur resume
2) Goals
3) Any other schools you're applying? (but didn't ask me to name the schools)
4) Challenging team work experience
5) Failure
6) Innovation example
7) Questions for him

It lasted about 50 mins and was pretty interactive. Good luck to me and to all of you guys!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 10:06
This post received
KUDOS
Had my interview on-campus yesterday morning.

Was greeted by a couple of First Year students at the admissions lobby. Spent a good amount of time talking to them about their experiences, my background and goals etc, while I waited for my interview. The students were super friendly and very chatty, and it was a great way to get rid of the pre-interview jitters.

After a while, I was called in to interview. My interviewer was a really friendly and laid back Second Year student, and the interview was really conversational.We covered the following areas:

1. Walk me through your resume
2. What are your future goals?
3. What are some of the challenges you faced during your time in <specific industry>?
4. How do you keep people motivated?
5. Give me an example of a challenging team experience. How did you handle it?
6. Any questions for her?

It was a very very very conversational and friendly interview. Surprisingly, she didn't ask me anything about why I wanted an MBA education, or why I wanted to go to Booth. Either I covered those answers as part of the other questions about future goals, or I talked so much that she didn't have time to fit those questions in. I hope it is the former. :)

I tried to show my interest in Booth by asking her questions that I hope showed that I had done my research, and how interested I am in the program. The interview lasted about 40 minutes. Overall, I had a really enjoyable experience and came back feeling even more impressed and interested in Booth.

Good luck to everyone that is interviewing! From my experience, I think it is really important to have a good time at the interview and have fun with it, because it reflects in your answers, and makes it a far more interesting experience for both interviewer and interviewee. My interviewer said that fit is very important for Booth, and what they're trying to gauge (more than anything else) is if you'll be able to become an engaged and valued member of the Booth community. So be yourselves and enjoy the process! :)

Also, I highly recommend spending some time talking to the FY students who will be present in the lobby to chat with you. Not only does it help get rid of your nervousness, but talking about yourself, your background, your goals etc will be a great dry run for the actual interview! :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 100

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 12:56
This post received
KUDOS
For future rounds people, here is a summary the interview invites that were reported on this board for R1:

R1 Mid-Decision Date: Wednesday, November 9, 2011
First Report of Interview Invite: Wednesday, November 2 (one week before Mid-Decisions day)
Last Report of Invite: Wednesday, November 9 (not all decisions on mid-decision day were Dings)

Breakdown by Day (based on posts on this board only)
Wed 11/2: 5 invites - early afternoon emails
Thur 11/3: 25 invites - timestamps 9:10 am cst, 12:40 pm cst
Fri 11/4: 14 invites - timetamps 9:01 am cst, 1:05 pm cst
Mon 11/7: 23 invites - timestamps 9:46 pm cst, 1:31 pm cst
Tue 11/8: 3 invites - timestamps 12:15 pm cst, 2:06 pm cst
Wed 11/9: 1 invite @ 9:02, dings also seemed to be at 9:02

87% of reported invites were received the Thursday, Friday, or Monday before the Mid-Decision date. There seemed to be two releases each day except the first and last days. The releases were not at the same times each day.

Tracking this kept me occupied while I waited for my invite!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.34
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 03:55
This post received
KUDOS
thembaboy wrote:
Great post gauravd! Looks like you are in my friend!

Thanks but I don't want to count chickens before they hatch...also I know someone with a similar profile like mine and better GMAT :wink:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 251 [1] , given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 16:16
This post received
KUDOS
BStand wrote:
Did anyone else receive the "Meet Booth Students in Cities Around the Globe" e-mail about an hour ago?

While I know it was distributed to anyone who signed up for the Booth email list, it's still a cruel joke for those of us waiting for news next week.

Nothing gets the blood pumping quite like seeing an email from "Chicago Booth Full-Time Admissions" pop-up less than a week before the notification deadline.

6 (5?) days to go!!

I understand your point, but the AdCom also needs to inform that there will be events this December in several cities. It wasn't clear the subject of the email?

On the other hand, you should know that no one will receive updates regarding the application status until the day before the deadline.

Good luck

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 19

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
dsg wrote:
mbagirl23 wrote:

Yep, it has always been like that. I had send an email back then, and the answer was:"We use your self-reported scores to assess the application. When someone is admitted, we then verify the scores."

not sure how to interpret that answer now...

I would interpret it to be exactly what they said. It makes sense that they wouldn't check until you're admitted, Adcom doesn't want to waste its time to verify thousands of GMAT scores of students who, for the most part, won't be going to Booth.

:) Not sure if you are allying her fears or increasing them..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS
However, Kurt Ahlm explicitly stated that decisions will come out on the 14th. Maybe they are doing something different this year. There's no way to know for sure - I don't think we can assume that people will start getting calls tomorrow.

Last edited by ls413 on 12 Dec 2011, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 19

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 10:39
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:

I can already tell that it's going to be a sleepless night.

I hope this is the last sleepless night for most of us here.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 20:08
This post received
KUDOS
Ahhh! Good luck all on your admits! I'm waiting for the 14th too to see whether my top choice company invited me to attend their "Day at" presentation, so you see it never really ends :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.14

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 5

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 00:38
This post received
KUDOS
After two months of anxious waiting...I cannot believe that we will eventually know Today (or tomorrow, at the latest).

I have been reviewing last year's thread an apparently the first calls started around 8.40 am Chicago Time (a guy in Asia and then rid82 in HK), and kept going until approx. 5pm.

Let's the fun begin...and good luck to you all!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 04:54
This post received
KUDOS
And so, I return, "You feeling lucky PUNK!!"
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
Wow..this is the third time in I am going through this exp in 1 yr...
March R2 last year..waitlisted...may R3...waitlisted...moved to summer waitlist and then ding donged...

Dec and am back again -hopelessly optimistic again :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 08:03
This post received
KUDOS
USAinUK wrote:
Noti wrote:
tgtivyleague wrote:
HI guys,

The results have started .... I just got a call 15mins back from adcom. I AM IN :)

Thank u ALL, for the support and good wishes.

The only school I applied in Rd1 and I have made it ..... Feel elated !!! No words!!!

Best of luck to all waiting ..... Hope that all of u get the good news like I did !!!!!

Regards,
Sam

I'm in too!!!!!

Nice job, Noti! What country are you in?

India
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 2

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
got the call!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in, so excited!!!!

I have been told my status will not change until tomorrow morning.

I'm from Europe.
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2011, 08:53