Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 5

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 16:04
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
BabyBeagle wrote:
Good luck, guys. If you have any questions for a new Booth student, feel free to PM me.

I don't know anything about admissions dates. I can speak mostly to culture, some classes, Chicago, LEAD, bidding - stuff like that.

What do you consider to be the biggest advantage of the flexible curriculum?

The advantage is that you don't have to repeat things that you already know, and you can tailor your coursework to very specific areas that you're trying to enhance. For instance, if you're targeting IB internships but don't come from a finance background, you can broadcast your interest in the field by loading up on finance classes. Sounds obvious but I didn't really get this when I was applying. That is a huge plus and should allow you to differentiate yourself by crafting a unique story.

That said, the curriculum isn't as flexible as they'd have you believe in your first (of three) quarter because there are a few classes that are prerequisites to almost everything else. So while it's not really explicit, micro and accounting are de facto requirements. The curriculum does however allow you to skip those (as mentioned) if you have the background.

The other plus is that you can dial up the pain as much as you want. Depending on your level of intellectual curiosity and when you want to recruit, this can be helpful in mitigating some workload volatility. Everyone is different.

The end is only the beginning.

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [2] , given: 27

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 21:02
This post received
KUDOS
gmatpapa wrote:
Michmax3 wrote:
Hey guys, good luck on your applications... let me know if you have any questions about Booth from a current student!

Hey! What would you say about Booth's LEAD program and its potential to "transform" students?

On seeing your question, I instantly remembered a post by rhyme where he had given a very honest perspective about LEAD..I looked it up and it was in the HBS vs Booth thread..Here you go -

http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-toughest-decision-of-my-life-hbs-vs-booth-full-ride-108405.html#p860235

It's a fairly long post, you need to scroll down to a section he has especially written up for LEAD. (Thanks rhyme for such awesome write-ups!!!) :)

Again, this is not my opinion and I'm not disputing anything what Michmax3 said, but just thought presenting another viewpoint would be beneficial to the entire group..

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [2] , given: 56

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 06:16
This post received
KUDOS
gmatpapa wrote:
scorpionz wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:
Hey! What would you say about Booth's LEAD program and its potential to "transform" students?

On seeing your question, I instantly remembered a post by rhyme where he had given a very honest perspective about LEAD..I looked it up and it was in the HBS vs Booth thread..Here you go -

http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-toughest-decision-of-my-life-hbs-vs-booth-full-ride-108405.html#p860235

It's a fairly long post, you need to scroll down to a section he has especially written up for LEAD. (Thanks rhyme for such awesome write-ups!!!) :)

Again, this is not my opinion and I'm not disputing anything what Michmax3 said, but just thought presenting another viewpoint would be beneficial to the entire group..

WOW! That is a ZOMG perspective! Rhyme sure has a strong viewpoint on LEAD..

Thanks for sharing!

So I had previously read Rhyme's writeup on LEAD and after having gone through it, I think I can give my perspective on it now. They're several points in no particular order.

1) LEAD is a "living" course.
So one of the things I heard over and over again from 2nd years is that the course changes from year to year. Not in a major way, but every year's facilitators get some say in both the content and the presentation. So Rhyme's examples of the cases didn't happen this year (in fact I think the only "role-play" we did was in providing someone feedback, which was actually really neat). This is both good and bad--it means that it recognizes that you can't just be orthodox and prescriptive, but by logical extension it could mean that the value of the course varies year to year (though I would say the chances of the latter are slim).

2)LEAD is not a graded course
Really. It's pass/fail. They just want you to show up. And you will show up, because it's your cohort, right when school is starting, when you want to meet people and the modules are interesting. I didn't see people purposefully skipping out on it or bitching about having to go to it. I can't think of a single module where more than 5 people (out of 60 or so) missed--and even then it was because of valid reasons. The vast majority of people actually like LEAD and don't need to be motivated to attend.

3) LEAD is not about Leadership
Seriously. It's counter-intuitive, but having gone through a lot of "leadership" courses from high school through college and work, I would say only about 20% of LEAD is about traditional leadership as we see in the corporate world. 80% of it is about self-awareness: how you deal with people, how people see you, your personality, etc. There's stuff ranging from ethics to presentation skills. I think a fair statement would be to say that taken as a whole the LEAD program focuses on leadership, but its individual parts do not. In fact I'm pretty sure the only time I heard the facilitators talking about leadership were in the introduction lecture and the wrap-up lecture. This is why people aren't turned off.

4) Actual results may vary
Some modules are really cool and captivated me--the ones dealing with personality and how others see you, for example. Others were kind of bland. I've heard people who said the exact opposite about the modules I really liked and disliked.

5) It's true, the facilitators are the ones who get the most out of it.
Which is not to say that I didn't find LEAD incredibly worthwhile as a student. But the amount of training and coaching you get as a facilitator is very intense. So their experience, I think, is far more beneficial than that of the first-years, which is also why so many people want to be facilitators in their second year.

Finally:
6) LEAD is not a "capstone"
I will disagree with Rhyme on this. LEAD is about providing you with a tool set. What you do with it, is up to you. Booth is the least prescriptive place I've ever been in--to a shocking level even after having read the "brochure" (which is something to think about). This course is not about turning you into a "Chicago guy" or about teaching you the "Booth way" of dealing with others. It's the exact opposite of that, which is why I think LEAD is structured in the piecemeal way that it is. The overwhelming philosophy at Booth is about giving you the tools to figure out your own way forward, not about "normalizing" your abilities and knowledge. I think LEAD is a great reflection of what Booth is about: they're not teaching you recipes and information, but giving you the tools.

Nutshell:
I thought LEAD was phenomenal, but I can absolutely see why it would turn some people off.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
Just spoke with a adcom member. She said "start checking online status on Nov. 1st." Until then RRRRREEEEELLLLLLAAAAAAAXXXXXXXX and don't forget to BBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAAATTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. :)
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [2] , given: 36

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
Michmax3 wrote:
mayansd wrote:
Michmax3 wrote:
Hey guys, good luck on your applications... let me know if you have any questions about Booth from a current student!

Hi Michmax,

Online info says there is little community development among students. (http://poetsandquants.com/2010/07/02/ch ... gg-school/) due to lack of core curriculum or concept of cohort. What has been your personal experience regarding collaboration among students?

PS: I am international applicant so can't visit Booth campus. anxiously checking booth website for any admissions event in India.

I think this is a terrible rumor, not sure why people think this. There is a cohort system in the beginning, and the social events with your cohort continue as long as you want them to. Booth has the GBC which exists to keep the cohort bonding going. But you also get plenty of chances to meet everyone else in the other cohorts.

There are also plenty of sub-groups you belong to, depending on if you did a random walk (you'll have reunions with your group), what you're recruiting for, you'll be prepping with these people and attending all the same events. Usually people have some sort of bonding group with others from the same place or school. It's really up to you. I would say the one thing I wished I did was get a roommate, because I'm someone that really likes to host parties, and my place alone is a bit small for that and it's a lot easier to make plans with another person. But I may change my mind on that as we get further into the year.

I was admitted to a number of schools last year, but only my Booth classmates became active immediately via a Google group and in the cities we were admitted from. I was gathering with classmates in my current city as early as January and we developed solid relationships in a period of several months. I didn't see this level of initiative from any other school and it may have helped solidify my choice towards Booth. As early as Spring, the whole class was actively organizing and networking online - by school start we had started Entrepreneurship, Investment management, Econ, Social Enterprize and even Education Ventures groups. We had done conference calls on different initiatives, put together spreadsheets of ideas, and had even professors on group-calls etc. I think whatever is lost because of lack of cohorts, is gained back in multiples due to the class's levels of initiative and focus on the ideas they want to work on.

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
I got an email from Booth today with the subtitle "Your Invited!"

Unfortunately it was for some Booth Live marketing event :(

My heart was beating fast there for a moment.

Dude, I saw the first line of your email and my heat was beating fast....I think I am going to stop looking at this forum and get back to work.

Its funny, my productivity level during my GMAT and even applications was very high. Now that its coming to wait for interview invites....my ability to focus has gone down tremendously. I just cant help but check my personal email every 5 minutes and this blog. I think I am going to need to go to the gym and get my mind off of the WHEN WILL HEAR back syndrome that goes around this time of year.

Good luck to you all!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.34
WE: Education (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
I think Booth adcom is going to send invites in a unique PPT format which is what is taking time I guess :wink:
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1577 [2] , given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
You guys crack me up.

You think THIS is bad? This is nothing. On a stress scale, this is the equivalent of ordering a decaf espresso and accidentally getting a regular.

Allow me to transport you ahead in time, on a journey through the bowels of hell. The year is 2012 and you find yourself sitting at a desk in the atrium of your dream school, staring mindlessly at your finance homework wondering how this could possibly be relevant to your more immediate pressing issue: landing an internship. Someone you barely know sits down at the table next to you. You try to ignore the conversation but he's being loud - intentionally perhaps - something about how he's got three internship offers and can't decide which to take. Your instant thought is if any of those three are from firms you are waiting to hear from; fortunately, it turns out none are. Sadly, one of your best friends who was hoping to get that Kraft gig clearly won't be. You wonder if you should tell him or just wait till they call. Suddenly a phone rings across the room - a girl jolts to life and scurries off to a corner. She returns shortly thereafter, head down. Diageo maybe? Could be, rumour has it they were making calls today. You think you recognize her from your marketing courses, but you aren't sure. This is the real walk of shame.

The guy a the other table is still yapping away about his offers and debating an M3 or an M5. Your mind starts to drift: was this worth $120K? What if it doesn't pan out? Now that you've been admitted, what if this was a mistake? Maybe you should reconsider banking, after all how bad can it be? And then you remember your days in banking and quickly shrug it off. Its 11.30, people begin scurrying outside of class and you snap out of it. You look at your finance homework once more and just can't find the motivation to continue, closing your laptop, you head to the cafeteria for another day of bland sandwiches and poorly prepared pastas. By the time you've finished lunch, there's little more you'd like to do than just go home, but unfortunately that coffee chat with Microsoft is kicking off in an hour and you know you'll have to go to have any chance of an interview.

An hour into the Microsoft meeting you come to the realization that perhaps ".NET Server Architecture Sales Manager" isn't quite as interesting as it somehow appeared last night at 1am when, in a bout of uncertainty, you foolishly decided you should just go to more events.

You finish your courses for the day and scramble to put on a clean dress shirt. Stupid pasta sauce, always get the sandwiches. Why did they make these damn lockers so small? You'd think for $100K you could get something bigger than 5 inches wide. You glance down at your BB and notice that tonight's dinner event is on the west side of town - and its snowing. Heavily. Well, it was invitation only, so you have to go. You fight traffic for 30 minutes to get to the hole in the wall restaurant realizing some partner must have picked this place with no consideration for the attendees. Walking from the car to the restaurant without covering your shoes and suit in a mix of deicing chips, snow and dirt is a challenge but you manage. You've even arrived a little early and give yourself a pat on the back for juggling this one too. Sadly, you are the first to arrive and as you sit at the bar nursing a surprisingly poorly prepared gin and tonic, you debate leaving - just as the first recruiter shows up. Dinner is a disastrously boring affair accompanied by overcooked salmon and small filets; the monotony only occasionally broken up by the girl at the end who took "open bar" too literally.

As you wait for your coma inducing tres leches, your phone rings - a blocked number - you excuse yourself momentarily. It's the firm you've been waiting on, they've called to say you haven't been selected for a 2nd round. You attempt to thank them for their time but realize the partner on the other end has already hung up. Turning around, you return to the table of six. At least the girl on the ends taken herself out of the running. You put on a fake smile and return to the pointless banter.

It's almost 11pm, why wont they just leave? Finally, the recruiters call an end to the evening... You drive home in foot deep snow - your friend calls. He heard. He didn't get that job he wanted. You want to make him feel better, but you are just too tired... and then you realize you still havent done that finance homework. Crap.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.72

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
I just got an invite! Thank. God. So happy right now.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 16

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
I just got an interview invite, also timestamped 1:40 EST.

A little bit about me for those interested:

Background: White, male, 30 years old
Undergrad: Big 10 state school
WE: 2 yrs internal consulting at small firm, 2 yrs consulting (Deloitte, E&Y, etc.), 3 yrs blue chip corp finance

Also, I submitted my application at 4:51PM CST, 9 minutes before the deadline.

Last edited by dsg on 03 Nov 2011, 10:16, edited 2 times in total.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Completed all CFA exams
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
Just received an invite to interview. Timestamp is 7:46 PST.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 4

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
My invite arrived! Phew! 10:46 EST timestamp.
27 yr old female, 680 GMAT, 3.69 undergrad GPA with a double major in film & media studies and English Lit
5 yrs experience in licensing and product development
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
"Sparkle" is a silly, meaningless word - I agree. However, the concept holds true, I think... my interpretation of this comment is that there needs to be some differentiating "factor" that really drives the candidate in - and further that the adcom looks for this factor by reviewing all aspects of the application. One could probably argue that 90% of applicants to top programs are "qualified" based on WE, GPA, GMAT - making it an exceedingly difficult job for adcoms to pick - especially with only a paper application. I do not envy the job...and much of this process seems like a crapshoot.

Nevertheless, if you are a qualified candidate, and apply to multiple schools...one has to believe you will land somewhere...
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: None
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 2

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview with an alum on Saturday afternoon in a coffee shop. Thanks to all your suggestions, I was dressed in a suit which I promptly got rid of after asking for permission from my interviewer. :-)

The questions which were very standard and were as follows:

1. Walk me through your resume (I spent about 10 mins saying my rehearsed lines)

2. Why MBA? You already seem to be working in the sector... (I requested permission to elaboratore on my long-term goals and then went on to why MBA...)

3. Why Booth? (I explained the rehearsed reasons and added my short-term goal in the end as the most tangible benefit from Booth)

4. What will you contribute to the Booth community? (Again, I had prepared for this)

5. Tell me about a leadership experience (I think I screwed this up - I said many things but didnt necessarily structure it well)

6. Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult team situation

7. Three words that your peers would use to describe you

8. Why were you selected/chosen/recruited for your current role at XYZ firm?

9. What other schools have you applied to? (I also added why did I apply to those schools and current status)

That was the end of the interview and it lasted for about 70-80 minutes. I won't say that the interview was conversational. Infact, the interviewer reticent and was just shooting off questions and taking notes whenever I said some things that resonated with her.

All in all, I would give myself a 3.5 out of 5. Given that all questions asked were very standard, I could have prepared myself better. For the record, a thank you note was sent about 24 hours after the interview and was replied to in another 24 hours.

I hope this is helpful. I wish you all good luck with your interview. Regards!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
I just had my interview and wanted to contribute some experience as a return of courtesy: my interviewer was a 2nd year student. The overall interview experience was really conversational and pleasant. It was conducted in a meeting room and beside a small round table, which makes me relax my nerve a little bit( I'm very sensitive to the environment, hehe)

The questions are quite standard: walk through resume, why mba, why fit, what you can contribute to booth, one challenge and one leadership experience. So just prepare your story well and you are good!

One small tip: bring a cup of water, which you can get in the entrance of the reception, into the interview room :). You will get dried out because of the heating and all the talk. Besides, drinking some water helps me really cool down and gain a little time to gather my thoughts.

Good luck to everyone!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 19

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 22:46
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview today with an alum off-campus at a coffee shop.
Started off with him talking about his background and why he did an MBA and his present line of work (consultant a MBB)
Then the usual questions
1)Tell me about yourself?
2)Why Booth?
3)Talk about a situation when you led a team and faced challenges and how did you overcome the challenges?
4)Tel me about a setback? Any setback; professional or personal and what did you learn/how did you react?
5)Short Term/Long Term Goals?
6)What do you like to do outside of your professional life?
7)Have you visited the school?
8)Questions for him?

It lasted about 30-35 mins and was very conversational. He also offered to put me in touch with some partners at his firm. He did mention that the interview is just another part of the application process and is definitely not a Go/No Go decision.

I sent him a thank you note later in the day to which he responded within 5 mins.

Fingers crossed...I have a good vibe about the interview but you can never tell with these things. Overall i felt the guy was really friendly and was pretty grounded inspite of his professional/academic achievements.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [2] , given: 7

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
carro103 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm considering applying round 2, looking to get into healthcare/biotech after graduating. I am trying to locate a course catalog to see what electives Booth offers that relate to these industries, since it does not have a healthcare major/concentration as other bschools do. Does anyone know where the course catalog is online? Thanks.

Here you go:
http://programs.chicagobooth.edu/curriculum/

You should be able to find an answer within a couple of clicks.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, Organizational Behavior

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call!!! Admitted w/ merit scholarship! :-D

Last edited by CrimsonParadisiac on 13 Dec 2011, 14:13, edited 2 times in total.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted! Just got call. I'm in China.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: War veteran & gallantry award winner.
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [2] , given: 6

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
HI guys,

The results have started .... I just got a call 15mins back from adcom. I AM IN :)

Thank u ALL, for the support and good wishes.

The only school I applied in Rd1 and I have made it ..... Feel elated !!! No words!!!

Best of luck to all waiting ..... Hope that all of u get the good news like I did !!!!!

Regards,
Sam
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2011, 07:43