Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all 2012 Chicago Booth applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 00:22
This post received
KUDOS
RAS2012 wrote:
RAS2012 wrote:
i had a couple questions about the actual application maybe someone could help me with

1. in the ...

thanks a lot for any help guys and good luck to all with your apps :)

bumping my own questions - would appreciate anyone's advice :)

My two cents..

1. in the "work experience" section - under each job is asked 'number of direct/indirect reports' - this means the number of people who report to me right? not the number whom i report to (I'm 99% sure just want to be 100% :))
the number of people who report to you

2. what do you think is expected under 'reason for leaving' section for our present job? do we leave this blank since we have not actually left it? or do we answer it as if we were admitted to booth and would be leaving our jobs? - i'm assuming they don't want a 'why mba' in 50 words
you could either leave it blank or simply write "Not applicable"

3. in the 'activities' section - would you consider a humanitarian project you founded and led just for a couple of months (specifically because there was a war in your country at that time) an activity? it was a one time thing specific to the situation at the time (and probably to be mentioned in essay 2 about leadership style) but should it be listed in the activities section as well?
IMO, yes, you can and should include it. Wouldn't hurt checking with the ad com though..

4. finally about the 'hobbies' in the activities section - do you think they just expect a list of hobbies? or some detail about our involvement in each? for example if you mention 'soccer' - do you say something like "play twice a week" - since its just for fun with friends, not a community group or fixed activity listed in the section above. or is it?
pretty sure that it needs to be more detailed than just a laundry list of hobbies..If you write soccer, it could mean anything from playing locally, training kids, following it passionately or whatever else..you get it right? it needs to give the ad com sufficient information regarding your involvement..

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 05:56
This post received
KUDOS
I think most round 1 folks are probably just busy in their applications. Saw this posted by Booth:

What is Your Application Strategy?
An article that ran last Thursday in the WSJ highlighted some interesting things that MBA admissions offices are doing to better assess fit and overall authenticity from their applicants. It’s a good read and worth checking out, and not just because I’m quoted (shameless plug), but because it highlights an important fact - schools care more about how strategic you are in utilizing the tools provided than how well you can fill in an application.

Before you begin putting together the pieces of your application, it’s important for you to understand your story and determine the messages that you want to communicate to the Admissions Committee. What do you want the Admissions Committee to know about you?

We get a lot of questions about our “Presentation/PPT” essay question and how critical it is to the decision process. Let me be clear about two things:

1) It carries the same weight as anything else in the application
2) It is an exercise in how you think and how you strategize

The “Presentation/PPT” was designed to give you an opportunity to clarify your message, and to tell a more complete story about what makes you a good fit for Booth. We recognize that the application has both fixed and limited real estate and, with that in mind, there must be aspects of what makes you a good candidate for Booth that have yet to be communicated in your application. This space is there for that purpose. So for those of you who have put the time into thinking about your story as it relates to Booth, and then begun to plot out how to reveal that story through your application, you should have a pretty good starting point as to what to include in your “Presentation/PPT”.

The moral of this story and the WSJ article is that schools use these tools not for gimmick but for purpose. Understanding what the purpose is before you answer the questions goes a long way in identifying the most effective approach.

Also, if you’re in DC, Philadelphia, NYC or Boston, I hope to meet you at our admissions receptions in these cities next week.

Kurt
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 05:21
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
I sent an e-mail to admissions 4 days ago but haven't gotten a response, maybe someone can assist me:

In the work experience section of the application, it asks me to input my starting compensation annual bonus and my ending compensation annual bonus.

Does 'starting compensation annual bonus,' mean the bonus I received during my first year at the company?

And then would 'ending compensation annual bonus,' mean the bonus I received over the course of the last 12 months?

I don't understand how these bonuses differ from each other.

Yes, your understanding is correct. For example -
You joined a firm in 2007 and the bonus for that year was $15,000. That would be your starting bonus. The bonus you got in 2011 was say $25,000. that would be your ending bonus. That's the difference.
The difference will get exaggerated the longer you've been with the same firm. It is also a reflection of the growth of your salary within a firm which more or less will extrapolate to your professional growth in the organization...

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 74

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 15:09
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
I've started to answer the question "Why did you choose these two recommenders?" and I'm writing very much. Anybody knows any word-limit for this section?

Thank you!

I dont think there's any word limit (probably because they don't see a need for a limit here as generally no one is going to write much here!)

As for me, I've included just one sentence per recommender, briefly highlighting that they've seen my work closely..

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
Thank you cheetarah1980!

But, in the online application it's written "direct/indirect", so I don't see it so clear... :wink:

This was my interpretation. If you are a manager and you manage 3 team leaders, those 3 TLs are directs. If the 3 TLs each have teams of 5, you have 15 indirects. Total 18.

I don't think you should count people across silos but I could be wrong.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 21:55
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
Thank you cheetarah1980!

But, in the online application it's written "direct/indirect", so I don't see it so clear... :wink:

Etreus-
I think I understand your question since I had the same doubt...I'm planning to call ad com and find out exactly. Will let you know once I have some info..

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 02:20
This post received
KUDOS
isst80 wrote:
Etreus wrote:
Thank you cheetarah1980!

This was my interpretation. If you are a manager and you manage 3 team leaders, those 3 TLs are directs. If the 3 TLs each have teams of 5, you have 15 indirects. Total 18.

I don't think you should count people across silos but I could be wrong.

Yep, what isst said. My manager has 8 direct reports and 9 indirect reports (the people managed by the 8 direct reports). Total team of 17.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
Tips from last year:
Make sure to pay close attention for the payment button when you are submitting your application. I made that mistake last year. The payment flow is separate from submission, and if you click through too quickly you will miss it. Read the instructions on every screen before you proceed to the next.

Last year there was also a character issue (since essays were copied in the application in text format, some characters came out funky on preview). We had to go through essays to replace double quotes with the right quotes, etc. Admissions was aware of the issue and they might have fixed it (and not held it against people), but this is an FYI for you guys, to help you avoid extra panic on last minute submissions.

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
Hi all!

I can see a question in the application proof (Are you Hispanis or Latino?) that I can't find through my online application. Therefore, it appears blank at the moment. Anyone knows where it is?

Thanks!

I couldn't find that question or the "Ethnic Group" question on the application either. I've submitted my application already and if there is a problem, I'm sure they will contact the applicant. Good luck.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
Just finished my online application, but unable to print the proof that I wanted to email to a couple of trusted friends.

I did it before, but today it's impossible! The message from the system is something like "internet explorer is unable to access the site".

Any idea???

I just printed a copy of the application proof and did not face any issues..One of two things could be happening -
1. Either there's been some update to the site or your IE version because of which it is not printing (I am using Chrome BTW..)
2. Or there might have been a temporary system issue with Booth's servers..

Not sure, all I can suggest is to try it out again probably from a different browser...

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
Hi all!

I can see a question in the application proof (Are you Hispanis or Latino?) that I can't find through my online application. Therefore, it appears blank at the moment. Anyone knows where it is?

Thanks!

Hey, I had the same question and called up the ad com office to clear up the confusion..
Ad com confirmed that this question only pops up on the application form if you indicate that you are a US citizen. However since the preview generation tool is common for everyone, that question appears for everyone in the previewed application (blank in case of non-US citizens)..

Also, just as a heads-up for everyone, I observed that my mailing address was getting truncated in the previewed application. I checked with the ad com office and was told that the address is stored correctly in the back-end database. It is just a limitation of the preview generation tool that it cannot display long addresses. So no worries!!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 7

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 05:59
This post received
KUDOS
thembaboy wrote:
Does anyone know when Booth starts releasing interview invites? (for R1 I mean)

Last year, interview invites started going out October 27th and continued through the mid-decision date on November 10th.

If they follow the same schedule this year, you could expect invites to go out from October 26th - November 9th. I think last year, they actually released a blog post detailing the dates, so maybe they'll do the same this year. Either way, it's all out of our control at this point.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
Will someone who has submitted please do me a favor...

Log into the Booth Application website and 'Preview Application Proof' Check your GMAT score breakdown? Is it correct?

The 'Preview Application Proof' changed my quant score from a 47 to a 46. However, I just checked my original application proof (the one I printed when I submitted my application), and it shows the correct score, so it must be an error on their end.

Not sure if I should e-mail them about this or not. Kind of irritating that it's lowering my score for no reason!

Just checked...All good for me..The same score is reflecting in my printed copy and on the website..

I would say give them a call & have it sorted out rightaway...If the score on the website is indeed not correct, it will not match with the official score report they receive from GMAC anyway...so rather than letting them come back to you for a clarification, better have this addressed and out of your way now itself!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 74

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
shorttheworld wrote:
Anyone know when the earliest that interviews started to come out last year were? :) Not sure if anyone has done crazy number crunching for booth yet like they have for CBS haha I know Nov 9 or whenever is the decision date but i assume interviewees will hear by then? or is it on that date that decisions are released

9th Nov is the date when each candidate will know his/ her status. So I guess they'll start sending out decisions before that.. 26th Oct is the date that people are guessing Booth will start releasing emails to candidates..

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 56

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
arcticwolf12 wrote:
MDF wrote:
^ I was mistaken. It WAS my percentile that changed, not the score. I must have had a case of dyslexia earlier.

And thanks everyone for checking!

My score went from a 77% in quant to a 76% in quant. I took the GMAT in March of this year, so I wouldn't expect a change so soon, but your reasoning makes sense and I bet that is the case.

I called admissions and they instructed me to send an e-mail, which I have done. I'll post back when I get a response, but I bet they will reply back that the percentiles have changed since I took the test.

Anyways, I'm definitely not happy that my percentile dropped! But hey, thank god my overall % stayed the same!

I had the exact same change - quant went to 76% from 77%. I look forward to hearing what response you received.

The trend is for the quant percentiles to go down for the same score and the verbal percentiles to go up as more foreign students take the GMAT. The Economist this week had a pretty good graph showing the growth of foreign test-takers.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 1

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
Just finished the online chat with some students and adcom people ta Booth. So for R1 applications, we will be receiving interview invites in the next few days! Good luck to all of us!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 7

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 12:29
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
happyface wrote:
Just finished the online chat with some students and adcom people ta Booth. So for R1 applications, we will be receiving interview invites in the next few days! Good luck to all of us!

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I submitted fairly early (3 wks ahead of the RD1 date) and I wonder if that means my app will be reviewed sooner than someone who submitted later. I hope so!

Unfortunately, I don't think when you submitted the application impacts the timing of its review. I recall that during Booth Live someone specifically mentioned that all the applications are randomly assigned after the stated deadline and timing of review is not connected to timing of submission.

Interview notification timing is probably more related to reviewer capacity than anything else. This is just a hypothetical, but you could be in a stack of apps whose first review is completed by a student who finishes the review in 48 hours, or you could be in the stack of someone who needs 5 days to get through the same # of apps. Multiply this by 2-3x since there is more than 1 review prior to an interview decision and you can see why the actual timing of an interview notification is insignificant.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 44

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 14:34
This post received
KUDOS
Here's something for us to mull on while we wait: What happens after we hit submit for Booth

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/02/14/wh ... ago-booth/
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas

Kudos [?]: 98 [1] , given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 18:50
This post received
KUDOS
gmatpapa wrote:
Michmax3 wrote:
Hey guys, good luck on your applications... let me know if you have any questions about Booth from a current student!

Hey! What would you say about Booth's LEAD program and its potential to "transform" students?

I really enjoyed LEAD. I don't know how transformational it was, more just fun to take personality tests and work on projects with your cohort, the social events, LOR (a weekend at Lake Geneva). I learned a few things, but it reminded me a bit of summer camp (which is awesome!) I'm planning to sign up as a LEAD facil next year if my schedule permits

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 484 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 04:00
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
When you log into the application website...does anyone's "Recent Activities" section show anything besides "Payment Received" and "Received: Application?"

Then I have green check marks next to each application component. But nowhere do I see my "status" as submitted like some of you state above...

When you login at application portal, the very first window you see shows the status of your application. You can see "Submitted" there. When you will click the application link for fall 2012 then you will see the detailed list you mentioned above.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2011, 04:00