Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 17:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 10:08
shorttheworld wrote:
hey for the slides are you guys focusing entirely on stuff that is NOT represented in your resume/essays? ? im using mine to tell a story so im going to obviously have some overlap but im wondering how much overlap may be a bad thing -- obv want to show off whats not in the rest of your resume or essays but also dont want to have gaps in the story

I don't think it is possible to put only that material in the slides that is not covered anywhere else in the application...There is bound to be an overlap..How much overlap? That is very very subjective..you cannot quantify it..now obviously what you don't want is a resume in a PPT format or just Essay 1 and Essay 2 in a pictorial format...

I believe you must be on the right track if you what you're doing reflects what you're saying i.e. you are using the slides to give a "context" to your story that you are expressing through your application and simultaneously adding new stuff that you didn't get a chance to explain anywhere else..

I'm doing the same and can see that as a very logical & correct (probably only!) method of doing this essay..Just my $0.02! :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 11:22
Jason Wright Passes On NFL for Business School

Quote:
Sean Jensen of Yahoo Contributor Network is reporting that former Arizona Cardinal Jason Wright has passed on an NFL contract worth $1 million per year in order to pursue an MBA at the University of Chicago's Booth School of Business. A Northwestern University graduate, Wright plans to open a charter school that helps to empower inner-city youth.

Wright, who has played in the league for seven years, decided to follow his faith in God and what is best for his family. He determined that his need to be in the NFL was "superficial," and that he instead, needed to follow his calling. Wright's wife was also ready to move on. The family has been committed to helping the community, working with three young women, one of whom they took into their home after learning that she was homeless.

Jensen reports Karissa Lockwood, 20, a student at Mesa (Ariz.) Community College said, "They cared for me and loved me." She added, "People ask me who my family is. They're my family now."

It is always wonderful when someone chooses to follow his faith and to do what is best for his family instead of bowing down to the hype. Wright has learned at a young age that you cannot allow others to determine who you are or who should be, particularly when you know in your heart of hearts that you should be doing something else. People often stereotype athletes as being superficial and empty. Wright is disproving this stereotype while making a difference in his family and his community. That is winning in the game of life.

Source: http://www.theroot.com/buzz/jason-wright-passes-nfl-business-school

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 19:44
MDF wrote:
Jason Wright Passes On NFL for Business School

Quote:
Sean Jensen of Yahoo Contributor Network is reporting that former Arizona Cardinal Jason Wright has passed on an NFL contract worth $1 million per year in order to pursue an MBA at the University of Chicago's Booth School of Business. A Northwestern University graduate, Wright plans to open a charter school that helps to empower inner-city youth.

Wright, who has played in the league for seven years, decided to follow his faith in God and what is best for his family. He determined that his need to be in the NFL was "superficial," and that he instead, needed to follow his calling. Wright's wife was also ready to move on. The family has been committed to helping the community, working with three young women, one of whom they took into their home after learning that she was homeless.

Jensen reports Karissa Lockwood, 20, a student at Mesa (Ariz.) Community College said, "They cared for me and loved me." She added, "People ask me who my family is. They're my family now."

It is always wonderful when someone chooses to follow his faith and to do what is best for his family instead of bowing down to the hype. Wright has learned at a young age that you cannot allow others to determine who you are or who should be, particularly when you know in your heart of hearts that you should be doing something else. People often stereotype athletes as being superficial and empty. Wright is disproving this stereotype while making a difference in his family and his community. That is winning in the game of life.

Source: http://www.theroot.com/buzz/jason-wright-passes-nfl-business-school

I met Jason recently during orientation. The article above is spot on. He's an extremely humble guy, and you can tell that he and his wife care a lot about about helping others. Also, if I play intramural football, I hope he's on my team.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 02:19
Does anyone know the rec letter questions for Chicago? Many thanks!~
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 16:52
So how much text is everyone putting on their powerpoints? :P i have a little blurb for 4 things or so on each page that has a small paragraph/rant with them and it looks like a lot of text but still ha the style im looking for...

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 17:04
shorttheworld wrote:
So how much text is everyone putting on their powerpoints? :P i have a little blurb for 4 things or so on each page that has a small paragraph/rant with them and it looks like a lot of text but still ha the style im looking for...

My slides are 20% text and 80% pictures. For each slide I have 2-3 short sentences to provide a bit of context.

This was a bit of an intimidating essay at first, but once I got started it turned into my favorite!

Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 06:14
yeah i have 4 'topics' with 4-6 pictures on each page with 3-5 sentences each (generally) so prolly like 30 percent pics and 70 percent text. im sure its going to run the gambit. i have 'repetitions' of stuff that i mentioned on my resume and whatnot (25 percent or so) but i try to shed additional light on things there. im sure adcoms arent gonna be like OMG HE REPEATED THIS DINGDINGDING

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 07:16
!

Last edited by osbornecox on 01 Mar 2012, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Manufacturing
WE 2: Analytics
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 09:36
this one is for re-applicants and current students/alums -- how to tackle the ppt ?? my life won't change drastically in a year..a lot of themes that i used last year still remain valid this year too..there wud be some improvements to show ...so can i use some material from last year's ppt or its advisable to go for a completely new material...
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 12:11

Last edited by MDF on 27 Sep 2011, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 21:23
Hello all, GMATClub newcomer also in for round 2. Just came from their pitch in Phoenix, the IMBA program sounds very interesting indeed, but the idea of naming the degree something else sounds a little gimmicky. Does anybody have experience with the program?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.95

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 16:56
jhays wrote:
Hello all, GMATClub newcomer also in for round 2. Just came from their pitch in Phoenix, the IMBA program sounds very interesting indeed, but the idea of naming the degree something else sounds a little gimmicky. Does anybody have experience with the program?

I'm considering the IMBA program. I agree with you that the IMBA title sounds kind of gimmicky. I will be attending an info session this coming Monday where I will have the chance to meet some IMBA students and hear about their experiences. If you're interested in learning more, PM sometime next week and I'll share what I learn. Also note, there's a good amount of info on the Booth website that lists requirements, partner schools, etc.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 07:56
Hi,
I could not find an answer to this question anywhere in the thread. If I have graduated magna cum laude, should I choose "Bachelors of Science with Honors" in the Degree field?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 09:46
Wow, seeing all the Booth Live participants here on campus makes me nostalgic! I was here Oct 1, 2010 for Booth Live. Many people I met then are in the class of 2013 now.

I guess it's too late for me to meet with any 2012 applicant who's here for today's Booth Live, but I'd like to make myself available if any of you are planning on coming to the later ones, or have questions on what it's like on the other side (keep in mind that I've only been here a few weeks).

In any case, just wanted to say that things will work out for you. Keep it positive. The app process is painful, but it will be over and a year from now, you'll be feeling just as nostalgic (and relieved).

My profile
My GMAT experience

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Research (Other)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 13:09
Question: I don't have to wait for my recommender to submit his letter for me to submit mine right?
Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 15:34
Your application won't be marked as complete until your recommender has sent their recommendation in

Posted from my mobile device Image

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 10:00
hello all. Application is ready to submit. Any last minute checks anyone can recommend?
Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 11:10
fuji wrote:
hello all. Application is ready to submit. Any last minute checks anyone can recommend?

if u re uploading essays in word doc -- no need to worry...but copying and pasting text into text boxes often changes inverted comas to question marks...so do a quality check before submitting...otherwise Booth's app is one of the smoothest...

all da best...
Manager
Manager

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 11:14
shorttheworld wrote:
yeah i have 4 'topics' with 4-6 pictures on each page with 3-5 sentences each (generally) so prolly like 30 percent pics and 70 percent text. im sure its going to run the gambit. i have 'repetitions' of stuff that i mentioned on my resume and whatnot (25 percent or so) but i try to shed additional light on things there. im sure adcoms arent gonna be like OMG HE REPEATED THIS DINGDINGDING

4-6 pictures on each slide...i will have a total of 6-7 pictures in my ppt.. :-D ...i am not liking my ppt :evil:....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 74

CAT Tests
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 01:20
Quote:
Essay 2: At Chicago Booth, we believe each individual has his or her own leadership style. How has your family, culture, and/or environment influenced you as a leader?

In this question, can we write about the work environment and professional activities that have influenced us as a leader or should only non professional activities be listed here?

I have prepared for both actually and depending on the requirement of the essay, will decide whether I'd want to give this essay a mixed flavor..

Any suggestions?

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2011, 01:20