Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
JUST GOT THE CALL!!!!!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 05:02
This post received
KUDOS
I'll jump into the mix here. I've been following this thread for a few weeks now, and now that I'm getting anxious I figure I could use the emotional support of you other ED'ers!

Submitted the night of Oct 5th. Have been "under review" since the 10th.

Goodluck everyone!!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
submitted 9/22
recs in 9/26
interview invite 9/27
interview 10/5
call 10/12!

so happy now :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 06:27
This post received
KUDOS
same as above...submitted 10/4, have been "under review" since 10/5...
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
stats: gmat 690, 3 yrs WE by matric., from India. Am sure my recos were solid, essays looked on the stronger side too i would say. GMAT would habeen the major spoilsport.

Planning to apply to kellogg, tuck, but might just do duke instead of tuck and maybe add darden. A little confused all of a sudden - had a very good feeling about columbia, the ding is a major setback for me - truly wanted to go here, not that I missed out on a 'trophy school' or something

Also - I got the ding exactly 1 month (Date wise) after I submitted - maybe a theme there?

Posted from my mobile device Image

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

Last edited by str1der on 12 Oct 2011, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
diggles14 wrote:

Wow, I just noticed this! Can't believe I showed CBS 4 other schools I'm interested in...luckily, CBS was on my list and all of the other 4 schools were top schools, so it's probably not a big deal.

lol, I thought the same thing.

For me it was even worse. Stress + lack of school research = I just selected 5 random schools...none of which I even applied to. So not only did CBS see a list of other random schools, CBS wasn't even on that list!

And for the record, I uploaded the unofficial 2 page report that the test center gives you when you are finished with the test.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 16

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
americanInAsia wrote:
megatop wrote:
Any ED last-minuter received interview invitation today / yesterday?

not me, still under review

Me neither, still under review since 10/5 but will be getting my interview invite today (yes, still trying the positive thinking BS)....
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 16

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
megatop wrote:
just out of interest does anyone know of any other forum on the web (any language) that discuss Columbia MBA applications? I just want to manage my own expectations should interview invitations have already gone out to promising last minute ED applicants!

the ClearAdmit wiki is good

Thanks - I didn't know about this. Many of the ED applicants (who were accepted) got interviews anywhere between 1 day after submission to 1 month. Very helpful.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 72

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 14:02
This post received
KUDOS
invited for an interview.

Submitted 10/5
Under Review 10/7
Interview Invite 10/13
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 6

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
chynaxdawl wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:
chynaxdawl wrote:

yea, i figured that might happen and definitely better to over dress than under dress. i logged in to get the first 3 alums and their emails and names but didn't take note of their industry. i was planning on going with someone closer to my age anyways but didn't think about industry. i know they only show 9 alums total, does that mean i can only login and search 3 times? because now i want to go back in and see what their industries were...

i feel so nervous now.

The search is saved so you can go back and check it anytime. You can search 2 more times to get 9 total names (or as many more times until you have 9 names). It does not provide the industry, you need to search for them on Linked in of Facebook to try to identify them.

ah i see, thanks for clarifying. time to linkedin-stalk...kind of embarrassing since they may be able to see who viewed their profiles recently.

I didn't even know that was possible. I've never really use linkedin unless I get a message or request. lol. Nonetheless, I don't think its necessarily a bad thing, you're just doing your research. But apparently you can change that setting.
https://www.linkedin.com/secure/settings?wvmp
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 16:45
This post received
KUDOS
Just had interview for J-term today. It was really laid back, coffee shop on a Sunday. For the first 40 minutes it was mostly conversational, discussing work experiences and talking about Columbia. At the end he asked Ethical Dilemma and anything else to tell the committee. He told me he also interviewed on a Sunday and got in on Monday. Now it's time to watch my email like a hawk starting tomorrow. Ugh...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS, WUSTL
WE 1: Real Estate, Fund Marketing, Volunteer

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All, new to the board, thought I'd add another data point for everyone to scrutinize, especially since I've enjoyed the forum so far! Good luck to all.

Submitted: 10/05
Under Review: 10/10
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 14:15
This post received
KUDOS
Eaglesadam22 wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:
Just went complete. Now the waiting for the call begins. Here's to getting the call tomorrow! haha :lol:

Are you applying for J-term as well? Man did that email freak me out!

I am in for ED.

Good luck to everyone waiting. I know people get in and people get rejected, but I really hope everyone on the board gets in and the rejects are given to those unfortunate to not know about this forum. I feel like I already know some of you just through interactions on these threads
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 7

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 03:33
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
What is a UNI?

Its your university account (Uni Network ID). You should get that plus your @gsb.columbia.edu address.

Hey Moss or any current CU/GSB student, what do they use the UNI for? I'm curious too :P
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
kjmba2012 wrote:
Hello all. I am new to the forum but am in a similar situation. I submitted my application for ED on 10/5, and got the invite to interview yesterday (10/17). I am currently in finance but am trying to move into Entrepreneurship/ working at a start-up so I think picking the right interviewer is crucial. I am trying to stay away from the die-hard Finance/Consulting crowd and might interview with someone who has a marketing background and or is working at a start up. Do you think this is the correct approach? I just don’t want my interviewer to be grilling me on why I want to leave finance.

BTW, this forum is fantastic. I have learned more about the application process on here than on any school website.

I think the approach to the interview is to be strategic. Find someone that has interests similar to you solely to make sure the conversation is interesting and memorable for a good reason. The alumni interviews are not intended to be grueling and screw you over. The interviews are more of a validation check. Its like the admissions person is like I think this person can be admitted, lets do the interview. The interview is more of a will you contribute to Columbia, will you help improve their stats (yield, internship placement, job after grad), and are you sane. I would not worry about getting grilled about leaving finance, but be prepared to answer you desire to move and why you need the MBA.

I had chosen someone who was working in an industry I wanted to get into after CBS to understand how he was prepared and it made for a better conversation for me. Again its different for different individuals, but most alumni that agree to interview enjoy the process and are there to help the applicants.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what its worth.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 2

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
fslkdflksfjkdsf

i got a call from a 212 number and was ecstatic. picked up and it was the guy at the taco place i ordered from telling me they were out of mexican coke and asking if i wanted harrito EFFF lol

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 204

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
AlwaysBeClosing wrote:
Agreed - when will they let us EDer's in "review" limbo know!?

As per last year stats, there were interview invitations almost till December! So, don't panic yet, it's still too soon to throw in the towel...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 204

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 11:40
This post received
KUDOS
happyface wrote:
Etreus wrote:
AlwaysBeClosing wrote:
Agreed - when will they let us EDer's in "review" limbo know!?

As per last year stats, there were interview invitations almost till December! So, don't panic yet, it's still too soon to throw in the towel...

Is there a trend that the earlier you get the interview invite the better chance of being admitted?

Looking at last year stats, I think that an earlier interview invitation is a good sign, but not to be invited so early shouldn't harm your chances. Just have a look at them:

calling-all-cbs-2011-applicants-94306.html
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 72

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 14:13
This post received
KUDOS
tlbkcal wrote:
MDF wrote:
100% of admitted applicants are interviewed prior to their decision.

Are you guys sure? According to CBS' website:

"Interviews are not required for admission to Columbia Business School. However, applicants may be invited to participate in evaluative interviews conducted by alumni or current students. In most cases, interviews are offered in the applicant’s geographic area, and invitations to interview can be sent at any time after a completed application has been received by the Admissions Office. Interviews are by invitation only and cannot be requested."

Last year 99% were of those admitted were interviewed. From an interview with someone from CBS admissions:

"Linda Abraham: Jennifer asks, "The website states that the interviews are by invitation. Does that mean interviews are required?"

Michael Robinson: I would say yes, because we are not completely there yet, but we want to be in a place where one hundred percent of those that we admitted were interviewed. I think we are at like 99% now. So being asked to interview is a positive development in your application. We will probably interview anywhere from 35%-40% of the applicant pool."

So, while not "required," they are trying to move to 100%...and 99% is a pretty significant number. The 1% are probably people in remote locations in the world that don't have alumni near them and/or reliable forms of communication to talk with a current student....but would easily make great additions to the class. Last year, that would have been about 5-6 people that weren't interviewed but accepted.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 1

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
NoggieViking wrote:
Here's what it looks like for the set of complete datapoitns (31 or something, didn't count). ED Admits still. Very ltd data on JTerm. I would not worry if submitting on 10/5 and yet to hear!

Thank you, NoggieViking!
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2011, 06:57