Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.68
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
jaxny wrote:
Does anyone know if taking another visit to the campus or admissions office helps your cause in any way? My status is complete and I'm waiting on a decision.

I've been waiting on a decision as well and just recently signed up for a CBS event tomorrow and got my acceptance call today! It's probably just a coincidence but it can't hurt to go to the events =)

Here's my timeline:

Sept 18 - Submitted ED
Sept 28 - Invited to Interview
Oct 5 - Interview
Oct 7 - Status Complete
Oct 19 - Accepted!

Best of luck to everyone else!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
Hey, just another data point:

Submitted: 9/30
Printing: 10/3
Under review: 10/4
Invited to interview: 10/19

Good luck to everyone

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 4

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
happyface wrote:
For those of you who had interview invites already, does the online status change from 'under review' to sth else? Still waiting...it's been a week since it went 'under review'.

The status changes to "You have been invited to interview. You will be contacted within 24 hours." Something like that.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 1

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 13:02
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
NoggieViking wrote:
Oh hey guys. I just talked to the most wonderful woman in the world. No, not my mom. Kait/Kate/Cait from admissions. She just rang me up. Class of 2014, here I come!

Congrats!!

Btw, you could learn spelling her name, couldn't you? :P

BTW, here's the wonderful woman who called you: http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/cbs-direct ... +Mannering
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
Gotta replicate the tried and true technique --

CALLLL MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 72

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
bryroro wrote:
I'll add a data point.

J-term, international applicant (living out side US, non US passport), and submit near deadline.

Submit 3 Oct
Review 4 Oct
Invite 5 Oct
Interview ~12 Oct
Interview complete [nothing yet... any advice?]

If you don't go complete by Tuesday of this week, I would email/call admissions and ask for an update. The interviewer should have submitted their report 2-3 days after the interview...but they have two weeks before admissions starts breathing down their necks.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.85

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 17:44
This post received
KUDOS
Eaglesadam22 wrote:
cbs2012jterm wrote:
anyone applying for j-term who submitted the application close to October 5th, interviewed and got admitted already?

Not many Jtermers on this thread unfortunately so it's hard to get data points. Yes on interview, no on final decision. I'm waiting to hear since Tuesday. Have you been contacted for interview yet, and if so are you waiting for decision as well?

thanks for the reply Eaglesadam22 and bryroro

I submitted the application on October 2nd, I completed my interview and I have been waiting for the decision since the 18th.

So let us keep our fingers acrossed.

bryroro, you probably should try to contact the admission office if you still have not received a notification for the completion of your interview process.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
happyface wrote:
For those who's gotten interview invite already, what's the subject of the invitation email? Will I be able to tell it's an invite right away?

The first sign is an email from CBS stating that your application status has changed. You will be asked to sign in, and your application status will say that you'll be receiving instructions in 24 hours. Within those 24 hours, you get a second email explaining the interview process...
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
MCE7 wrote:
Then what's the point of the ED "Statement of Commitment"?

"As an Early Decision candidate to Columbia Business School, I am committed to attending Columbia Business School, and will withdraw all applications and decline all offers from other schools upon admission to Columbia Business School."

I think this is really the discourage individuals from applying in this round if they are not 100% serious about Columbia as their first choice. I think it is useful in that it allows them to view candidates that place Columbia as their top choice (worst case top 2-3 if they are debating to "honor" the statement of commitment). From my view the adcom takes these applicants and views getting about a 90-95% yield of the offers made and thus tries their best to identify candidates that fit needs for the upcoming class and would be successful in the program.

The ED program truely serves 2 benefits in my view. It gives the adcom a subset of applicants that are more likely to accept an offer increasing their yield percent and helping their rankings. It allows applicants to potentially find out early about getting in to school and only having to apply to 1 or 2 schools as opposed to their full suite.

I do believe applying to any early round gives applicants a slight advantage as adcoms are more lenient during these rounds. I have no proof or evidence of this being the case, just my view of this round for the schools that offer it. With that said, its not like everyone gets in. I still think you would have had to be competitive during the regular rounds to gain admission during this round.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
Just to chime in...I see ED more of a function of yield control.

I don't think CBS has ever posted its ED acceptance rates, but Columbia University (undergrad) and other undergrad programs with early decisions have: http://www.inlikeme.com/admission-stati ... gular.html or http://www.hernandezcollegeconsulting.c ... tatistics/

For example, with Columbia undergrad, there's a 14% difference between ED and RD (the acceptance rate is more than double). That is fairly significant. So, statistically speaking, you should have a better chance applying ED than RD.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 6

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
Received a call from Columbia Business School and I am in!!! Class of 2012, here I come.

Submit: 9/14
Under Review: 9/16
Interview Invite: 10/06
Interview: 10/17
Interview Complete: 10/18
Admit: 10/25 :king

Re-applicant.

Like scuderia too I got a call from an Unknown number.

Where is the party tonight?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 16

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
Solonos wrote:
Submit: 9/27
Review: 9/30

Still waiting for interview invite!

I'm one week after you and still waiting.
I was told yesterday by a CBS student that he thinks it usually takes international candidates (even if living in US) longer to get invites. Not sure if this has any merit.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
It seems few applicants in Engineering Industry are getting invited to interview yet.

johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
In the same boat.

Submitted 10/1
Under Review 10/3

No word yet.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 16

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
qulin1982 wrote:
It seems few applicants in Engineering Industry are getting invited to interview yet.

johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
In the same boat.

Submitted 10/1
Under Review 10/3

No word yet.

Most schools have less than 2-3% of candidates with engineering WE.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Asset Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 3

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hi -

Invited to interview (just received status update).

J-term. Submitted 10/3, under review since 10/4.

Last edited by ThePensum on 26 Oct 2011, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS, WUSTL
WE 1: Real Estate, Fund Marketing, Volunteer

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
Good work americaninAsia. I hate being the weak link so:

GPA: 3.16
GMAT: 710 (1st Can, 2nd time 690)
Work Exp: 5 years (add vol work, boost it up to 7 years)
Current Industry: volunteering in microfinance so lets say Social Enterprise
Post-MBA Industry: social enterprise/finance
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 7

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 21:35
This post received
KUDOS
Whoa! Seems like I missed out on tons of adcom love and other activities! LOL

First, congrats to all the guys/gals who got in. Also, think someone asked abt an email from an Hermes clubber... I got one of those too about a week after THE CALL. I suspect they're getting busier now so it may take them a while to reach out.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 72

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
coolashangel wrote:
Has anyone submitted a photograph of themselves as part of the Columbia application? What's the protocol for these pictures..is it supposed to a formal business portrait or just a casual picture of yourself on a porch, etc?

Personally, I just took a picture of myself with my phone wearing a polo shirt 5 minutes before clicking submit.

It doesn't seem like it really matters. From the "Ask Admissions Directors" board for Columbia:

"We want to put a face with the application! It is totally optional and, like all parts of the application, completely confidential. We do not use the picture outside of the application process.

Good luck,

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA"
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 10:03
This post received
KUDOS
kjmba2012 wrote:
I know it was discussed on this thread before but I really dont want to sift through 90 pages so I'll ask it again. Does the this response "The Admissions Committee has received your interview report. The interview process is complete." mean "Complete"? I want to make sure that if I recieve another email its not another status change. Hopefully a call comes before. I'll jump on the bandwagon.....CALLL MEEEEE!

Means complete
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (I)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys

I have been lurking around this forum for a while now.

Thought I would add my information to the forum and just sympathise with everyone who is awaiting a decision.

My timeline so far

Submitted 10/02
Under review 10/04
Invited for interview 10/05
Interviewed 10/16
Interview Complete 10/18
Awaiting decision

Let's hope for some calls soon.

is anyone else on this forum from South Africa?
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2011, 12:22