Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 72

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 14:25
This post received
KUDOS
m397 wrote:
Ad cim likes calling on Thursday's too

Posted from my mobile device Image

haha, yea. moral of the story is, expect a call (or email) from admissions any day of the week at any time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8215 [1] , given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 14:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bh2011 wrote:
Hey all,

I got THE CALL today from Columbia! Pretty pumped! For those keeping track, the call came from a blocked number at about 12:30 ET. Here's my timeline:

Submit 10/2
Under Review 10/3
Invite 10/4
Interview 10/12
Complete 10/13
Admit!!! 10/27

For those accepted, looking forward to meeting you all. To those still waiting, keep the faith and good luck!

Congratulations!!!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 17:01
This post received
KUDOS
thinking ill know my fate in the next week hopefully :p everyone waiting dont give up the faith -- its gonna get longer the later you submitted :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 20:10
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call today! Good luck to everyone who's still waiting!

Is there a Columbia Business School class of 2014 topic / Facebook group out there?

Last edited by Simba99 on 27 Oct 2011, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 7

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
Simba99 wrote:
Got the call today! Good luck to everyone who's still waiting!

Is there a Columbia Business School class of 2014 topic / Facebook group out there?

Congrats! Don't think there's a FB page up yet, still pretty early days. This forum is prob the largest grouping of CBS'14 people online atm I believe.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.85

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 21:07
This post received
KUDOS
I got the call last night, about a quarter after ten NY time.

Just to complete my data point
J-term applicant, 2 yrs top consulting, 2.5 yrs high-tech, international

Submit: 10/2
Under review and interview invite: 10/3
Interview: 10/12
Complete: 10/18
Final decision: 10/27

I asked for expedient review for a personal reason, so that might be a reason for the shorter cycle

Good luck everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
americanInAsia wrote:
Anyone miss a call from admissions? do they leave a voicemail?

Just had my first unknown caller show up on my us # (one i provided on my app) in 6 months and missed it, haha.

From what I remember on previous posts people got Voicemails telling them to call admissions. Probably kills a little of the surprise, but hard to hate on good news.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 4

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
RonCash wrote:
How long does it take for your application to go complete after the interviewer submits his feedback online? The reason I'm asking is because my interviewer said he submitted his feedback yesterday and I still haven't seen an update to my app... is this a reason to be concerned?

Took me about a day and a half. I think it needs to be done manually by someone within the office. No need to be concerned!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 18:15
This post received
KUDOS
americanInAsia wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:
americanInAsia wrote:
Anyone miss a call from admissions? do they leave a voicemail?

Just had my first unknown caller show up on my us # (one i provided on my app) in 6 months and missed it, haha.

From what I remember on previous posts people got Voicemails telling them to call admissions. Probably kills a little of the surprise, but hard to hate on good news.

I am pretty certain that I missed the admit call from them. No voicemail...nothing. But they called back about 24hrs later and I luckily had my phone at that time.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 20:13
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call from admissions today. First, they wanted to wish me a happy birthday, oh and then to let me know that I'm in. Classy. Time to celebrate the Halloween weekend right with a lot of beer!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
^Since the admissions process is rolling, decisions should be sent out once they are made.

So I wouldn't expect there to be a certain date where a big batch of rejections is sent out.

That's exactly the mentality I had with the process. Its rolling admissions guys! If you haven't gotten dinged yet, it means you're still in the running. Unlike at other schools who "batch" their dings, where you could possibly assume that the longer you go w/o an update means the more likely you are to get dinged (or rather, have already been dinged but just don't know it yet), all that it means at CBS is that they haven't made up their mind yet. So stop setting these arbitrary dates for yourself because they'll just come and go without any real significance.

Hang in there guys & gals!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS, WUSTL
WE 1: Real Estate, Fund Marketing, Volunteer

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
Mutiny!

Ermiz, I'm not going to lie and say I'm not thinking of plan B, but I'd hate to see people sulking on plan B when they don't even know yet. I hope that's not the case for you and I wish you a lot of luck on your app. To answer your question though: I haven't thought of any other schools. And no, I'm not like kkkatl (btw, I really hope that doesn't stand for KKK Atlanta, but I guess it is what it is yo) where I absolutely fell in love with the school. I don't drop L-bombs that easily, ask my ex!

Since you're interested in entrepreneurship, I'm going to assume you've measured the opp cost of two years off plus the $ cost (or rand), as opposed to starting a business time=zero. If I don't get in, I'm going to look at the job market and look into starting my own business/ngo.

To maybe turn the thread on a more positive note and echo triple-K-Hotlanta, Columbia is the only program I was comfortable with in terms of fit. Columbia sat down with us (round table event), got to know us, listened to us, etc. I felt like they were giving us a certain respect, like we (the applicants) know best about our career plan and have the ability to make things happen for ourselves. I read somewhere that Columbia doesn't "hold hands" and I liked that, I felt like I was free to choose my own path. Or I don't know, maybe that's just the tone of the New York (love that too), god I miss it.

Plus, I'm 29, at other events, you had some green folks asking how the school compares to H-Bomb or stupid questions like that. Second plus I went to a few admissions events at other schools and I felt like I was being cheerleaded into applying.

Anybody else? Would be interested in hearing other folks' views as I'm sure there are some people who probably disagree about what I saw/appreciate in C-Bomb.

Cheers, G/L to everyone
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 19

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 15:47
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry to hear about the dings, everyone.

I was dinged last spring and it really burns, especially if you've put your heart and soul into the app

one thing you could do is grow a mustache this month for Movember, especially if you don't have additional interviews coming up
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 06:21
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the interview email..
Applied 10/5
Under Review 10/12
Interview Email - 11/01
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 18:32
This post received
KUDOS
Feeling inspired by Rick Ross tonight and channeling admits for everyone:

I’m applying round one
It’s making me sweat
I apply to other schools and considering the debt
Posting on GMAT Club, ignoring my work
Does my boss above me think I’m a jerk?

Reapp under my belt
Consider me like the rest
I explain in essay one how I’m definitely the best
Hassle my recommender and remind him that he’s late
Even though I’m stressing and will be hitting the date

Still applying early decision, it’s the death of me
Ever seen 250 cash, gotta count it carefully
Ever applied early decision to the school of your dreams
In a pool full of rockstars and other phenoms it seems

Clubbers, I could make it there
Call the adcom personally and make it a dare
So yeah, we’re in deep, the feeling ain’t fair
And it’s CBS MBA Early Decision until we get the chair
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 9

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 04:07
This post received
KUDOS
americanInAsia wrote:
Updated the timeline file after Monday's blood bath.

Added some charts.

Hope everyone finds it useful.

Since we're nerds... For day of the week, you can use =TEXT(CELL,"dddd") instead of your nested IF statement :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 06:03
This post received
KUDOS
I just received interview invitation from Columbia.
Was thinking it may be a Ding after logging in the system.
Submit on 4-Oct, Under review on 5-Oct
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 6

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 13:13
This post received
KUDOS
Ironhide wrote:
30 days ago I submitted my apllication...

Today I submit my hopes... :(

(No ding but its just been too long)

I got my invite to interview 3 days short of a full 4 week wait. I had mentally prepped "bye bye CBS". From there in 11 business days I had a call from the CBS adcom giving me the good news. You have survived past the blood bath on Monday, so keep faith!!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 05:05
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus (and all others waiting),

It took the adcom 5 weeks to extend an interview invite my way. After three weeks of waiting, I thought the process was over. It's now been over a week since my interview went complete and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I had to wait another week or even longer.

I have no idea how many applicants apply ED, but I think the overall pool is 6,000+ applicants. Even if a quarter of the total applicants apply ED, I'm assuming the adcom has an extremely difficult and time consuming task sorting through all of these seemingly awesome applications and qualified people (I counted at least 3 folks here with GMAT's in the 99th percentile -- I'm blown away!). One could imagine the adcom office has no more than 10 people (just a guess) and 1,500-2,000 applications to sort through (?) over the course of 6-10 weeks --- if the adcom is really giving each applicant deep thought and consideration, it's no surprise that interview invites are staggered over time as the adcom gets to them.

Last edited by RichieRichthaMosse on 03 Nov 2011, 05:08, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
Based in India!!

Based on last years thread, I think we will hear only next week. The wait continues!!!
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2011, 06:23