Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 03:17
I'm also interested in this. For MBA application how much "plus" will I have if I am an alum of the university? Anybody has an idea?

Trader4Life wrote:
In for ED. Hoping to get into its value investing program. Anyone interested in this program as well and know how competitive is it to get in (I know it admits 40 students annually)?

Looking at GMAT scores for people on this thread makes me think I will have a hard time to get in. :lol: The only plus I have is that I am a Columbia alum (got my masters in a quantitative field). Wait...is it a plus? :-D
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 01:03
hi guys. do you know if there are differences between the interviews for reapplicants and the interviews for new applicants?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 05:19
This post received
KUDOS
even9net wrote:
hi guys. do you know if there are differences between the interviews for reapplicants and the interviews for new applicants?

Of course there should be a difference, but, again, there a re no patterns that determine interview questions. The best way is to start from the:

1. Analyzing one's strengths and weaknesses is a good place to start. Reapplicants have to show they have grown and are better applicants than they were before. Analyze your weaknesses.

2. reapplicants need to sit down with applications and go through each section to determine where they need improvement. While many business schools—even those that say they do not offer feedback—will give rejected applicants some clue about what kept them from receiving an acceptance letter, reapplicants still have to reflect on their weaknesses.

Asking questions, such as "Who are you today?" and "Where have you come from since the last application?" can help you retell your story more compellingly and update the admissions committee.
Intern
Intern
Status: arrogance and ignorance are infectious, thanks god that (true) laughing is too

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 05:56
Good Luck str1der! Jot down your essay ideas as early as possible and then choose the best.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 06:38
Count me in guys!!!!!!
From India too.

Have a weird love hate relationship with this school...

ONE REALLY IMPORTANT QUESTION... really need help....

COSIGNER LOANS

Understand that for international students, loans need to have a cosigner for CBS. How are you guys managing it???

If I dont have a cosigner in USA, then is dropping out my only option?????

Really makes me feel bad
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 03:52
Which option is everybody taking for essay #3?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 72

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 04:19
Count me in to apply ED by September!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 14:32
do u know if the interview is in english or in ur native language?
good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Energy

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 09:13
count me in. reapplicant, ED ding with int last year.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 09:27
^ Did they give you any feedback for the ding last year?

just curious?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Energy

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 09:56
nope, I plan to call and ask though.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 08:02
Monday I've been interviewed for the 2013 program (j-term). On the evening my interviewer wrote me that he had just submitted his feedback. Hovewer my status hasn't been updated yet. I supposed that as soon as the interviewer submits the feedback the status should turn "complete". Am I wrong?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 09:42
even9net wrote:
Monday I've been interviewed for the 2013 program (j-term). On the evening my interviewer wrote me that he had just submitted his feedback. Hovewer my status hasn't been updated yet. I supposed that as soon as the interviewer submits the feedback the status should turn "complete". Am I wrong?

Hi, even9net, it will take a couple of days to turn complete, can I ask when did you submit and when did the status went under review and when did you get interview invitation?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 10:01
nimabi wrote:
even9net wrote:

Hi, even9net, it will take a couple of days to turn complete, can I ask when did you submit and when did the status went under review and when did you get interview invitation?

sure! submitted may 14th. under review june 1st. invited around june 4th. how do u know that it will take a couple of days?
good luck
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 10:06
even9net wrote:
nimabi wrote:
even9net wrote:

sure! submitted may 14th. under review june 1st. invited around june 4th. how do u know that it will take a couple of days?
good luck

from last year's thread, some people's status doesnot change and they got admission call directly, you will get one, good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 10:40
good luck[/quote]

from last year's thread, some people's status doesnot change and they got admission call directly, you will get one, good luck![/quote]

thanks. finger super crossed...
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Finance Treasury
WE 2: Entrepreneur
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 21:13
trikstr wrote:
nope, I plan to call and ask though.

I am a reapplicant from last year's ED ding. I requested them for a feedback and they refused. I had emailed them though. I dont think calling in will change the outcome. But, just in case you get a different response, do let us all know.

All the best.
Manager
Manager
Location: In my cerebellum. Betwixt the Past and the Future. In the moment and the Present.
Schools: INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 22:21
Hi even9net, congrats on the interview already! Good luck. I submitted recently for the J term and am waiting for my recommenders to do their thing now.

They opened their app on May 12. How did you get the essays done so fast to submit on the 14th!? Amazing stuff...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 05:14
I'll apply by October but haven't decided whether to apply ED or not. Does it make a difference to apply ED?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.2
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 02:29
Count me in for ED.

MDF wrote:
Which option is everybody taking for essay #3?

And to repeat MDF, which option in #3 folks?
Re: Calling All 2012 Columbia GSB Applicants !!!   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2011, 02:29