Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Booth, Kellogg, Wharton, CBS, Anderson
WE 1: Ops Manager - F100
WE 2: MiTT Chief - US Army
WE 3: Infantry Platoon Leader - US Army
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Even I would be applying ED.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
So is Columbia low volume (atleast from an interest perspective) this year? Lol. Better for those applying this year I guess.

On a more serious note, thought I'd bump this up the list on the forum to get more eyeballs. Cheers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
I'll be applying R1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
Count me in for ED...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Gobias wrote:
When does CBS start accepting and start reviewing applications? Does that happen right after essays are posted / application has gone live?

Technically yes, although in practice they'll probably wrap up R3 for the 2011 admissions cycle, then move on to J-termers for class of '13, then start in with the EDers for class of '14 later in the summer. Last year, the first interview invite on GMATClub submitted a year ago today and didn't get his invite until July 22nd. The next earliest invite submitted July 14th and got their invite July 30th... so its questionable whether there is a material difference between applying in May/June and applying toward the end of July.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Check this link out. It was posted a little while ago by AmerAsia.

2012-columbia-essays-analyzed-113696.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE:Research (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
I am also planning to CBS. Post mba focus-Healthcare industry. Is anyone on this board know about CBS healthcare domain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
Kudos
I am in for the Jan4 deadline
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
nimabi wrote:
Any news? they opened the online application on May 11st, a friend of mine submitted app for 2012 J term on May 12nd and his status became under review June 1st, same date as last year...
anyone got interview invitation yet?

I am still working on essays

I'm about two weeks in on essay #1 and #2. I should be done with everything by the end of the month.

However, I'll probably have to wait on my recommenders before I hit submit. I just lined them up last week and gave them a deadline of mid-July.

I'm really really starting to think about doing ED...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
even9net wrote:
hi guys. do you know if there are differences between the interviews for reapplicants and the interviews for new applicants?

Of course there should be a difference, but, again, there a re no patterns that determine interview questions. The best way is to start from the:

1. Analyzing one's strengths and weaknesses is a good place to start. Reapplicants have to show they have grown and are better applicants than they were before. Analyze your weaknesses.

2. reapplicants need to sit down with applications and go through each section to determine where they need improvement. While many business schools—even those that say they do not offer feedback—will give rejected applicants some clue about what kept them from receiving an acceptance letter, reapplicants still have to reflect on their weaknesses.

Asking questions, such as "Who are you today?" and "Where have you come from since the last application?" can help you retell your story more compellingly and update the admissions committee.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
I hear that there is a slight advantage if you apply early. I guess it depends how you look at it. Here is an excerpt I pulled from an MBA chat with Michael Robinson:

"Michael Robinson: Exactly. We still get most of our applications after the Early Decision deadline. Just to give people a timeline, I would say that by the end of January, we will have received between 70%-80% of all the applications that we will get for the entire year. So if you are looking at a system of all things being equal, those at the front of the line have an advantage over folks at the back of the line. We probably have to admit 750 people based on our current yield to have a class of 550 in the fall. So view it as having a line of 7,000 applicants, and every time we admit someone it's 750-1, 750-2. So when we get to 750, based on historic numbers, the class tends to be around full. So by the end of January, we will have 70%-80% of those 7,000 applicants. And literally, within a 48 hour window of our fellowships deadline which is always within the first ten days of January (this year it's January 6th), we literally get about 20% of all our applicants within two days, right around the "deadline for fellowships".

Linda Abraham: Your servers are cranking.

Michael Robinson: And sometimes they break down because we just get overloaded at that time. And then we get these desperate phone calls, "I'm trying to submit, but it's crashing! I'm going to miss the deadline." And then we say, "Don't worry, this happens every year. Just keep on trying. If we get it tomorrow, it's perfectly fine." But what I'm saying is that someone who applies the last day of December as opposed to someone who applies on January 11th, there could be a gap of around 2,000 applications. So keep that in mind. So if you are ready to apply in December, you would have an advantage to somebody who would apply in January, just based on all things being equal and the flow of applications."
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Institute, MTA
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia , MIT Sloan, Cornell, Chicago booth
 Q50  V35 GMAT 2: 740  Q51  V39
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Business analyst
WE 2: Credit risk analyst
Send PM
Kudos
Moss wrote:
Hey guys I'll be matriculating this August for the Columbia Business School MBA class of 2013. If you have any questions feel free to send them my way.

Hey hi,
I am planning to apply to columbia this year, can you pls tell is there any difference in the way your application is viewed if you apply in ED?? What is the benefit of ED?? In case you are selected in ED & dont join columbia, whats the penalty you will have to bear??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS
Send PM
Kudos
No word so far. They say J term decisions should be made within 2 weeks after the completion of interview. Should be right around now.

Tiggy, that's soem crazy GPA you got there, the worst grade you got was probably a single B+
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I just got the call this afternoon! Got in for J-Term 2012!

Is there a separate thread for admits?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Sloan '15 (D)
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Gobias wrote:
Question about the Columbia application -

There is an option to upload a picture of yourself. They don't specify what kind of picture it should be, just that it should be copied into Word and uploaded.

Anyone have any insight into what kind of picture they are looking for? Is there any upside/downside to uploading the picture?

Thanks

Hmm, I thought about this one for a bit but in the end, I chose a professional looking picture - dressed in a suit, no tie and smiling at the camera. I was tempted to upload a pic of me rowing since that's one of my passions and I'm sure they must see people in suits all the time. But I wanted to play it safe. It's business school after all, you never know what they're thinking. Hope this helps! Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Kudos
While I didn't use a picture in my application, I think the primary focus with the picture is to connect a face with a name and help to personify your paper application. I think its easier to imagine you in the class when adcoms can picture your face in a seat rather than some obscure set of facts about you!

Keeping that in mind, I'd say anything that allows them to picture you in their heads and remember your by your face instead of just your name is accomplishing the goal of the photo.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
I just received an invitation to interview!

I pressed submit for ED on 7/16 -- 17 days ago
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  171   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts