Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
AshForGMAT wrote:
Hi Guys,

Please can you help me understand how best to tackle the interview questions like Why MBA? What is it that the interviewer is looking for in this question?

Also how is it different from 'Why KFBS?' and 'What are you short term and long term goals?'

Thanks,
Ash

There are several things you need to understand about yourself / career goals before going into the MBA interview: what you want to do, why you want to do it, why an MBA will help you achieve those goals, and why specifically an MBA from XXX school. Furthermore, you need to be able to articulate answers to each of these questions in an intelligent manor.

Answers to the questions above will be different for every person, depending on goals etc.

Why an MBA? You should have a well laid out plan, or at least a flexible guideline for your career that depends on you achieving an MBA. Maybe you want to switch careers from Engineering to Marketing and you need the MBA to give you the toolset and ability to make the jump. Maybe you're climbing corporate ladder at a tech company and you need additional business sense on top of your engineering degree and experience. etc... Whatever your case here you should have some plan that requires you having the additional education; but make sure you truly believe in the plan adcoms hear these stories everyday and will point you out quickly if they think you're just throwing buzzwords at them.

Why KFBS? Each MBA program will work this question in somehow. Regardless of where you go in say the top 25 schools you'll get a great education from some VERY impressive / smart people. But, and this is a big but, not all programs are created equal with regard to other aspects. Some schools, like Harvard, teach exclusively using case method (KFBS is mostly case, but not all) while others are light on the case approach. Some schools are HUGE i.e. lots of students, Harvard / Wharton, and some are small, Tuck. You have to figure out what type of atmosphere is right for you; some schools are more competitive while others are more collaborative team based. Additionally, maybe one school has a professor that studies something you're interested in, one of the KFBS profs studies airport business models. Finally, don't forget about location, that varies a lot with the different business schools. Regardless of your answers for these questions you should definitely have done research on the B-School you're getting ready to interview and know a lot about it, and why you fit in and want to go there etc.

Short term and long term goals will factor into your answer to the "Why an MBA" question. Usually short term is within the next 5 years and long term is after that, i.e. if you could pick out a final job in your career what would it be. Be careful spitting out an answer of say CEO, your answer should be well thought out and follow a logical progression from short term to long term.

I hope this helps!
Andrew
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 17:37
This post received
KUDOS
AshForGMAT wrote:
One more question that i wanted some clarity on ...
What role do you play in a team?

What exactly are the Adcoms looking for in the answer...my current role is a business analyst. But i am not directly leading teams as such...
Thanks,
Ash

The team question is meant to figure out exactly what it asks. When you're put into a team environment what role do you usually play. You should sit down and ask yourself "Do I always take the leadership role?" & "Am I ok with taking orders from someone on a team" & "Can I follow the direction of a team even if I don't agree with it?"

You don't have to have lead a team or had the title "Team Lead" to answer this question. You collaborate everyday with people at your work towards achieving a common goal, you should be able to draw from this experience what you need to answer this question.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 17:49
Thanks a lot Andrew!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 2.66
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 00:40
My manager is not able to submit my recommendation. The page throws an error saying "Address Line 1 should not be blank", though the address line 1 is not blank. Has anyone else faced this issue?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 2.66

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 05:05
Application submitted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 12:43
How is it going everyone?
Current Student
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 77

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 19:50
Hi UNC applicants! FYI if you're applying to UNC through the Consortium Graduate Study in Management (CGSM), hop over to the Consortium 2012 Forum and Update Your Profile to join the Consortium roll call.

It's simple. Just select your school as "Consortium, the", then indicate which specific institution(s) you'll be applying to, make sure your application cycle is 2011-2012 and the Consortium round (CGSM1 or CGSM2) you be applied in. You can do all of this easily through the handy 'Add to Your Schools' link on the front page of the Consortium 2012 Forum.

We have a special analytics specifically for those candidates applying via Consortium and lots of conversation specific to Consortium candidates and the school(s) they are applying to.

Come and join the conversation! Cheers!

My Blog - Road to the MBA Class of 2014

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 23:35
The number of applicants in R3 must have been way below what they forecasted. I received the following quoted letter earlier today.

Quote:
Dear Xxxx,

Thank you for starting an application for the full-time MBA Program at UNC's Kenan-Flagler Business School and for reporting a GMAT score. We encourage you to complete your application to UNC so that we can consider you for admission to our Fall 2012 enrolling class. We want our classes to comprise broad ranges of career and life experience. We appreciation [sic] your consideration of UNC Kenan-Flagler and do not want to miss this opportunity to evaluate your candidacy. We can waive your application fee if you submit your application by the end of January.

We will issue our third round of admission decisions on March 19. If you submit your application by the end of January and complete your admissions interview by mid-February, we can still consider you for round three and give you a decision on March 19.

You must reply to this email in order for us to create your application fee waiver. Upon receipt of your reply, we will provide you instructions on how to proceed with the waiver. We hope you will continue your application and submit it by January 31.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Xxxx Xxxx

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 05:46
I changed my target round from R3 to R4 on the website when I realized I wouldn't be able to complete a worthwhile application in time. I wonder if I can still submit before that date and still be considered. This probably wouldn't be appropriate issue to bring up to them...I guess It's worth a shot regardless...thanks for posting!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 14:41
Interviewed with Peggy, and still waiting for decision :(
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Foster (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.34
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 20:41
Can someone share their KF interview experience?
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 11:18
jmr71483 wrote:
I changed my target round from R3 to R4 on the website when I realized I wouldn't be able to complete a worthwhile application in time. I wonder if I can still submit before that date and still be considered. This probably wouldn't be appropriate issue to bring up to them...I guess It's worth a shot regardless...thanks for posting!

Any luck with this?

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 11:31
threestripes wrote:
jmr71483 wrote:

Any luck with this?

I submitted today, so not anticipating a response until next week. I'm certainly not expecting a fee waiver, but I don't think it would be out of the question for them to ask me whether I want to be considered this round given that e-mail (especially since it's a 3 week extension!). I don't feel right asking the adcom about the extension since I was not offered, but I think it's worth a shot to submit super early for the last round and see if offer it up then.

In retrospect, what I did probably wasn't too smart. I unchecked the Jan 6th deadline box on the app and switched it March 14th because I knew I wouldn't submit on that day. If only I would have just kept it the way it was, all I had to submit were the essays!...I guess I was worried that my letter of reccomendations would get lost. I'm still glad I didn't force myself to submit with subpar essays though.

I will be sure to post if they allow me to be considered in this round! Thanks again, if only for the hope
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 11:37
jmr71483 wrote:
threestripes wrote:
jmr71483 wrote:

Any luck with this?

I submitted today, so not anticipating a response until next week. I'm certainly not expecting a fee waiver, but I don't think it would be out of the question for them to ask me whether I want to be considered this round given that e-mail (especially since it's a 3 week extension!). I don't feel right asking the adcom about the extension since I was not offered, but I think it's worth a shot to submit super early for the last round and see if offer it up then.

In retrospect, what I did probably wasn't too smart. I unchecked the Jan 6th deadline box on the app and switched it March 14th because I knew I wouldn't submit on that day. If only I would have just kept it the way it was, all I had to submit were the essays!...I guess I was worried that my letter of reccomendations would get lost. I'm still glad I didn't force myself to submit with subpar essays though.

I will be sure to post if they allow me to be considered in this round! Thanks again, if only for the hope

Okay, cool. Good luck!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 08:21
threestripes wrote:
The number of applicants in R3 must have been way below what they forecasted. I received the following quoted letter earlier today.

Quote:
Dear Xxxx,

Thank you for starting an application for the full-time MBA Program at UNC's Kenan-Flagler Business School and for reporting a GMAT score. We encourage you to complete your application to UNC so that we can consider you for admission to our Fall 2012 enrolling class. We want our classes to comprise broad ranges of career and life experience. We appreciation [sic] your consideration of UNC Kenan-Flagler and do not want to miss this opportunity to evaluate your candidacy. We can waive your application fee if you submit your application by the end of January.

We will issue our third round of admission decisions on March 19. If you submit your application by the end of January and complete your admissions interview by mid-February, we can still consider you for round three and give you a decision on March 19.

You must reply to this email in order for us to create your application fee waiver. Upon receipt of your reply, we will provide you instructions on how to proceed with the waiver. We hope you will continue your application and submit it by January 31.

Regards,
Xxxx Xxxx

I have no doubt that some schools are hurting as far as number of applicants go. But why is this any evidence? A lot of schools offer fee waivers of some sort. The admissions team wants more applicants, and seeing someone who started their application is an easy target to prod along.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 09:52
tsarheel wrote:
threestripes wrote:

Quote:
Dear Xxxx,

Regards,
Xxxx Xxxx

I have no doubt that some schools are hurting as far as number of applicants go. But why is this any evidence? A lot of schools offer fee waivers of some sort. The admissions team wants more applicants, and seeing someone who started their application is an easy target to prod along.

Before I answer this question, I want to make it clear that my post was not at all a knock on Kenan-Flagler. I think highly of the program and would have applied if my R1 apps didn't work out so well.

I am not saying that this is evidence of the lower number of applications. This is mere speculation based on the email that I received. I have heard of people being given an extension to submit their apps from other schools in the past. In fact, I received an email from Georgetown after their R1 deadline, informing me that they were extending the deadline for me. But I have never heard of anybody being offered both an extension and a fee waiver, which in my opinion is unfair to those who submitted on time and paid the fee in full. I had R2 checked off when the R2 deadline passed, but they didn't offer me an extension and/or a fee waiver then. I changed it to R3 after the R2 deadline passed, and then I got the quoted email after the R3 deadline passed. This leads me to believe that they did not receive a high enough number of applications, at least in this round.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 10:12
Somebody had posted that BU had a one week extension for those that had partially completed app but did not submit in the BU thread. Not sure if this has happened in previous years, but if anything it is a reflection of applications down across the board.
Intern
Intern

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 10:30
threestripes wrote:
tsarheel wrote:

Before I answer this question, I want to make it clear that my post was not at all a knock on Kenan-Flagler. I think highly of the program and would have applied if my R1 apps didn't work out so well.

I am not saying that this is evidence of the lower number of applications. This is mere speculation based on the email that I received. I have heard of people being given an extension to submit their apps from other schools in the past. In fact, I received an email from Georgetown after their R1 deadline, informing me that they were extending the deadline for me. But I have never heard of anybody being offered both an extension and a fee waiver, which in my opinion is unfair to those who submitted on time and paid the fee in full. I had R2 checked off when the R2 deadline passed, but they didn't offer me an extension and/or a fee waiver then. I changed it to R3 after the R2 deadline passed, and then I got the quoted email after the R3 deadline passed. This leads me to believe that they did not receive a high enough number of applications, at least in this round.

I think it's pretty well known that most schools are suffering from a lower number of applicants. How the schools deal with that is a separate issue. Pointing to what you've heard of happening in the past is useless—even more useless than usual—because in this case decreasing applications is a recent trend. If things are getting all the more competitive for schools to get their applicants, I would expect schools to be agile and come up with ways to increase their applicant pool.

Btw, Fuqua may be doing this too. Maybe a lot of schools are doing this to a few people. Maybe Carolina is only doing this to people who change their applicant round twice. Maybe Carolina's doing it to people who have put competitor schools in their app (assuming you put Duke in there). Essentially we have no idea what's going on, so putting out a conclusion, that something specific to KF "must" have happened, with no evidence/thought out arguments is pretty silly IMO.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 12:36
tsarheel wrote:
threestripes wrote:
tsarheel wrote:

I think it's pretty well known that most schools are suffering from a lower number of applicants. How the schools deal with that is a separate issue. Pointing to what you've heard of happening in the past is useless—even more useless than usual—because in this case decreasing applications is a recent trend. If things are getting all the more competitive for schools to get their applicants, I would expect schools to be agile and come up with ways to increase their applicant pool.

Btw, Fuqua may be doing this too. Maybe a lot of schools are doing this to a few people. Maybe Carolina is only doing this to people who change their applicant round twice. Maybe Carolina's doing it to people who have put competitor schools in their app (assuming you put Duke in there). Essentially we have no idea what's going on, so putting out a conclusion, that something specific to KF "must" have happened, with no evidence/thought out arguments is pretty silly IMO.

Look, I came here to post about the email so that others would know about it. I did not, in any way, mean to attack your school, so I have no idea why you are being so defensive. Besides, I never said anything about KF being the only school experiencing a decrease in the number of applicants. I believe Ross's Admissions Director mentioned something about their R1 applicant pool being slightly smaller this year compared to last year. And Fuqua's is probably down as well. They just don't report anything so we have no way of confirming if this is true.

Going off-tangent here, but I just want to share this so everybody knows what Fuqua's stand is on fee waivers. Fuqua offers a fee waiver. They give you half off when you do a campus visit or have an alum/current student submit a recommendation on your behalf. They also give you a full waiver if you attend their diversity events. Therefore, I don't see them adding extra waivers as the options are already extensive.

Going back to the topic, KF has been the only school so far that has offered both an extension and a fee waiver in the middle of the application cycle. Until any other applicants report that other schools have done the same, KF is the only school so far that has done something to try to increase their number of applicants. I don't see anything wrong with this, but it does make me curious to find out by how much the applicant pool has shrunk across the board. Again, this is not a knock on KF, but more of me thinking out loud, wondering if any other schools have made some tweaks in the process in order to boost the number of applications.

I know that Duke and UNC have an intense rivalry, but can't we just wait until the Fall semester starts before we start bickering? :wink:

Intern
Intern

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 16:48
Before things start getting crazy rivalry-wise, I was wondering if someone might have any insight on this. I'm trying to compare Kenan-Flagler and Tepper in terms of strategy and management consulting. Things look pretty even across the board, but I know Tepper supposedly has a more quant focus, which I'm a little concerned about. However, I'm trying to do management/strategy consulting, maybe with a technology focus.

Anyone able to help me out? Thanks!
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2012, 16:48