Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 10:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 11:18
jmr71483 wrote:
I changed my target round from R3 to R4 on the website when I realized I wouldn't be able to complete a worthwhile application in time. I wonder if I can still submit before that date and still be considered. This probably wouldn't be appropriate issue to bring up to them...I guess It's worth a shot regardless...thanks for posting!

Posted from my mobile device Image


Any luck with this?
_________________

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Joined: 06 Sep 2011
Posts: 95
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 11:31
threestripes wrote:
jmr71483 wrote:
I changed my target round from R3 to R4 on the website when I realized I wouldn't be able to complete a worthwhile application in time. I wonder if I can still submit before that date and still be considered. This probably wouldn't be appropriate issue to bring up to them...I guess It's worth a shot regardless...thanks for posting!

Posted from my mobile device Image


Any luck with this?


I submitted today, so not anticipating a response until next week. I'm certainly not expecting a fee waiver, but I don't think it would be out of the question for them to ask me whether I want to be considered this round given that e-mail (especially since it's a 3 week extension!). I don't feel right asking the adcom about the extension since I was not offered, but I think it's worth a shot to submit super early for the last round and see if offer it up then.

In retrospect, what I did probably wasn't too smart. I unchecked the Jan 6th deadline box on the app and switched it March 14th because I knew I wouldn't submit on that day. If only I would have just kept it the way it was, all I had to submit were the essays!...I guess I was worried that my letter of reccomendations would get lost. I'm still glad I didn't force myself to submit with subpar essays though.

I will be sure to post if they allow me to be considered in this round! Thanks again, if only for the hope
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 11:37
jmr71483 wrote:
threestripes wrote:
jmr71483 wrote:
I changed my target round from R3 to R4 on the website when I realized I wouldn't be able to complete a worthwhile application in time. I wonder if I can still submit before that date and still be considered. This probably wouldn't be appropriate issue to bring up to them...I guess It's worth a shot regardless...thanks for posting!

Posted from my mobile device Image


Any luck with this?


I submitted today, so not anticipating a response until next week. I'm certainly not expecting a fee waiver, but I don't think it would be out of the question for them to ask me whether I want to be considered this round given that e-mail (especially since it's a 3 week extension!). I don't feel right asking the adcom about the extension since I was not offered, but I think it's worth a shot to submit super early for the last round and see if offer it up then.

In retrospect, what I did probably wasn't too smart. I unchecked the Jan 6th deadline box on the app and switched it March 14th because I knew I wouldn't submit on that day. If only I would have just kept it the way it was, all I had to submit were the essays!...I guess I was worried that my letter of reccomendations would get lost. I'm still glad I didn't force myself to submit with subpar essays though.

I will be sure to post if they allow me to be considered in this round! Thanks again, if only for the hope



Okay, cool. Good luck!
_________________

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 08:21
threestripes wrote:
The number of applicants in R3 must have been way below what they forecasted. I received the following quoted letter earlier today.

Quote:
Dear Xxxx,

Thank you for starting an application for the full-time MBA Program at UNC's Kenan-Flagler Business School and for reporting a GMAT score. We encourage you to complete your application to UNC so that we can consider you for admission to our Fall 2012 enrolling class. We want our classes to comprise broad ranges of career and life experience. We appreciation [sic] your consideration of UNC Kenan-Flagler and do not want to miss this opportunity to evaluate your candidacy. We can waive your application fee if you submit your application by the end of January.

We will issue our third round of admission decisions on March 19. If you submit your application by the end of January and complete your admissions interview by mid-February, we can still consider you for round three and give you a decision on March 19.

You must reply to this email in order for us to create your application fee waiver. Upon receipt of your reply, we will provide you instructions on how to proceed with the waiver. We hope you will continue your application and submit it by January 31.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Xxxx Xxxx


I have no doubt that some schools are hurting as far as number of applicants go. But why is this any evidence? A lot of schools offer fee waivers of some sort. The admissions team wants more applicants, and seeing someone who started their application is an easy target to prod along.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 09:52
tsarheel wrote:
threestripes wrote:
The number of applicants in R3 must have been way below what they forecasted. I received the following quoted letter earlier today.

Quote:
Dear Xxxx,

Thank you for starting an application for the full-time MBA Program at UNC's Kenan-Flagler Business School and for reporting a GMAT score. We encourage you to complete your application to UNC so that we can consider you for admission to our Fall 2012 enrolling class. We want our classes to comprise broad ranges of career and life experience. We appreciation [sic] your consideration of UNC Kenan-Flagler and do not want to miss this opportunity to evaluate your candidacy. We can waive your application fee if you submit your application by the end of January.

We will issue our third round of admission decisions on March 19. If you submit your application by the end of January and complete your admissions interview by mid-February, we can still consider you for round three and give you a decision on March 19.

You must reply to this email in order for us to create your application fee waiver. Upon receipt of your reply, we will provide you instructions on how to proceed with the waiver. We hope you will continue your application and submit it by January 31.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Xxxx Xxxx


I have no doubt that some schools are hurting as far as number of applicants go. But why is this any evidence? A lot of schools offer fee waivers of some sort. The admissions team wants more applicants, and seeing someone who started their application is an easy target to prod along.


Before I answer this question, I want to make it clear that my post was not at all a knock on Kenan-Flagler. I think highly of the program and would have applied if my R1 apps didn't work out so well.

I am not saying that this is evidence of the lower number of applications. This is mere speculation based on the email that I received. I have heard of people being given an extension to submit their apps from other schools in the past. In fact, I received an email from Georgetown after their R1 deadline, informing me that they were extending the deadline for me. But I have never heard of anybody being offered both an extension and a fee waiver, which in my opinion is unfair to those who submitted on time and paid the fee in full. I had R2 checked off when the R2 deadline passed, but they didn't offer me an extension and/or a fee waiver then. I changed it to R3 after the R2 deadline passed, and then I got the quoted email after the R3 deadline passed. This leads me to believe that they did not receive a high enough number of applications, at least in this round.
_________________

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Manager
Manager
Joined: 06 Sep 2011
Posts: 95
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 10:12
Somebody had posted that BU had a one week extension for those that had partially completed app but did not submit in the BU thread. Not sure if this has happened in previous years, but if anything it is a reflection of applications down across the board.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 10:30
threestripes wrote:
tsarheel wrote:
I have no doubt that some schools are hurting as far as number of applicants go. But why is this any evidence? A lot of schools offer fee waivers of some sort. The admissions team wants more applicants, and seeing someone who started their application is an easy target to prod along.


Before I answer this question, I want to make it clear that my post was not at all a knock on Kenan-Flagler. I think highly of the program and would have applied if my R1 apps didn't work out so well.

I am not saying that this is evidence of the lower number of applications. This is mere speculation based on the email that I received. I have heard of people being given an extension to submit their apps from other schools in the past. In fact, I received an email from Georgetown after their R1 deadline, informing me that they were extending the deadline for me. But I have never heard of anybody being offered both an extension and a fee waiver, which in my opinion is unfair to those who submitted on time and paid the fee in full. I had R2 checked off when the R2 deadline passed, but they didn't offer me an extension and/or a fee waiver then. I changed it to R3 after the R2 deadline passed, and then I got the quoted email after the R3 deadline passed. This leads me to believe that they did not receive a high enough number of applications, at least in this round.


I think it's pretty well known that most schools are suffering from a lower number of applicants. How the schools deal with that is a separate issue. Pointing to what you've heard of happening in the past is useless—even more useless than usual—because in this case decreasing applications is a recent trend. If things are getting all the more competitive for schools to get their applicants, I would expect schools to be agile and come up with ways to increase their applicant pool.

Btw, Fuqua may be doing this too. Maybe a lot of schools are doing this to a few people. Maybe Carolina is only doing this to people who change their applicant round twice. Maybe Carolina's doing it to people who have put competitor schools in their app (assuming you put Duke in there). Essentially we have no idea what's going on, so putting out a conclusion, that something specific to KF "must" have happened, with no evidence/thought out arguments is pretty silly IMO.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 12:36
tsarheel wrote:
threestripes wrote:
tsarheel wrote:
I have no doubt that some schools are hurting as far as number of applicants go. But why is this any evidence? A lot of schools offer fee waivers of some sort. The admissions team wants more applicants, and seeing someone who started their application is an easy target to prod along.


Before I answer this question, I want to make it clear that my post was not at all a knock on Kenan-Flagler. I think highly of the program and would have applied if my R1 apps didn't work out so well.

I am not saying that this is evidence of the lower number of applications. This is mere speculation based on the email that I received. I have heard of people being given an extension to submit their apps from other schools in the past. In fact, I received an email from Georgetown after their R1 deadline, informing me that they were extending the deadline for me. But I have never heard of anybody being offered both an extension and a fee waiver, which in my opinion is unfair to those who submitted on time and paid the fee in full. I had R2 checked off when the R2 deadline passed, but they didn't offer me an extension and/or a fee waiver then. I changed it to R3 after the R2 deadline passed, and then I got the quoted email after the R3 deadline passed. This leads me to believe that they did not receive a high enough number of applications, at least in this round.


I think it's pretty well known that most schools are suffering from a lower number of applicants. How the schools deal with that is a separate issue. Pointing to what you've heard of happening in the past is useless—even more useless than usual—because in this case decreasing applications is a recent trend. If things are getting all the more competitive for schools to get their applicants, I would expect schools to be agile and come up with ways to increase their applicant pool.

Btw, Fuqua may be doing this too. Maybe a lot of schools are doing this to a few people. Maybe Carolina is only doing this to people who change their applicant round twice. Maybe Carolina's doing it to people who have put competitor schools in their app (assuming you put Duke in there). Essentially we have no idea what's going on, so putting out a conclusion, that something specific to KF "must" have happened, with no evidence/thought out arguments is pretty silly IMO.



Look, I came here to post about the email so that others would know about it. I did not, in any way, mean to attack your school, so I have no idea why you are being so defensive. Besides, I never said anything about KF being the only school experiencing a decrease in the number of applicants. I believe Ross's Admissions Director mentioned something about their R1 applicant pool being slightly smaller this year compared to last year. And Fuqua's is probably down as well. They just don't report anything so we have no way of confirming if this is true.

Going off-tangent here, but I just want to share this so everybody knows what Fuqua's stand is on fee waivers. Fuqua offers a fee waiver. They give you half off when you do a campus visit or have an alum/current student submit a recommendation on your behalf. They also give you a full waiver if you attend their diversity events. Therefore, I don't see them adding extra waivers as the options are already extensive.

Going back to the topic, KF has been the only school so far that has offered both an extension and a fee waiver in the middle of the application cycle. Until any other applicants report that other schools have done the same, KF is the only school so far that has done something to try to increase their number of applicants. I don't see anything wrong with this, but it does make me curious to find out by how much the applicant pool has shrunk across the board. Again, this is not a knock on KF, but more of me thinking out loud, wondering if any other schools have made some tweaks in the process in order to boost the number of applications.

I know that Duke and UNC have an intense rivalry, but can't we just wait until the Fall semester starts before we start bickering? :wink:
_________________

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Intern
Intern
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 16:48
Before things start getting crazy rivalry-wise, I was wondering if someone might have any insight on this. I'm trying to compare Kenan-Flagler and Tepper in terms of strategy and management consulting. Things look pretty even across the board, but I know Tepper supposedly has a more quant focus, which I'm a little concerned about. However, I'm trying to do management/strategy consulting, maybe with a technology focus.

Anyone able to help me out? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 63
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 02:54
Hi guys, I am preparing for the KF interview. I would really appreciate if applicants who have already been interviewed to share their interview experiences and if there were any strange/ unusual questions ??
Intern
Intern
Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 16:44
Hey Rashid and Zohaib - did you guys apply during round 3 (Jan 6th deadline)?

rashidmanzar wrote:
zohaibmahmood wrote:
Hi guys, I am preparing for the KF interview. I would really appreciate if applicants who have already been interviewed to share their interview experiences and if there were any strange/ unusual questions ??


Hi,

I had my Kenan-Flagler interview today. It lasted almost 40 mins.
The interviewer was quite friendly and no strange/unusual questions were asked.
A brief summary of the interview:
Introduction, career goals, why MBA/why Now, some work experience related questions,
strenghts, why kenan-flagler, Any questions.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 57
Location: United Kingdom
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 03:50
kiwihopeful wrote:
Hey Rashid and Zohaib - did you guys apply during round 3 (Jan 6th deadline)?

rashidmanzar wrote:
zohaibmahmood wrote:
Hi guys, I am preparing for the KF interview. I would really appreciate if applicants who have already been interviewed to share their interview experiences and if there were any strange/ unusual questions ??


Hi,

I had my Kenan-Flagler interview today. It lasted almost 40 mins.
The interviewer was quite friendly and no strange/unusual questions were asked.
A brief summary of the interview:
Introduction, career goals, why MBA/why Now, some work experience related questions,
strenghts, why kenan-flagler, Any questions.


Hi kiwihopeful,

I applied in R2 (december deadline).
Intern
Intern
Joined: 17 Sep 2011
Posts: 17
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 10:15
Props to KFBS for being innovative in starting the Online MBA program and aggressively marketing it everywhere (here, facebook, radio, you name it).

But, how do you guys expect this to impact the value of the FT MBA program? Esp as a signaling mechanism for employers
Manager
Manager
Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 53
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 16:44
Had an interview at UNC on-campus. Lasted for about 40 mins.No surprise questions. Interviewer made me feel relaxed and was friendly and conversational.
The questions were more about getting to know me... why MBA, why now, why UNC, strengths, weakness, what motivates you etc.

My already great impression about the school was improved further with a campus visit and I would suggest taking on-campus interview as you get to talk to the admissions team member directly. Very different than some of the other schools where you interview with SY student. I experienced at one school a SY student busy taking notes and not paying attention to your answers.

Anyway, hoping for the best result now and awaiting interview invitations from other schools...

Good luck guys.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 35
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 11:16
Time to give it a push ! :P
Intern
Intern
Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 14:17
Any update? This wait is killing me, I submitted my app on 2 Dec, interviewed on the 8th, since then its just been an endless wait! The application portal says last update was on 1/12/2012 wonder what it is that I can't see, anyone noticed any updates or activity lately?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 35
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 14:52
dhruvvarma wrote:
Any update? This wait is killing me, I submitted my app on 2 Dec, interviewed on the 8th, since then its just been an endless wait! The application portal says last update was on 1/12/2012 wonder what it is that I can't see, anyone noticed any updates or activity lately?


The wait is a killing, cant wait until Feb 6th
Intern
Intern
Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 23:13
Hi guys, just logged into the application portal, when i go the application status tab i see the application submitted date but when i click on check status button it says "no status found". It was there 2 days ago, anyone else experienced the same?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 17 Jan 2012
Posts: 28
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.69
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 09:47
Heading down for an interview on Tuesday. Excited to get that first admissions decision in!

Any tips on what to expect interview wise? Are the interviews still blind even though they are conducted by members of the adcom?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 300
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 10:17
packfan1 wrote:
Heading down for an interview on Tuesday. Excited to get that first admissions decision in!

Any tips on what to expect interview wise? Are the interviews still blind even though they are conducted by members of the adcom?


I had my Emory interview by an adcom and it was pretty much blind. She did not refer to the essays or prepare any question specifically for me.
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2012, 10:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Popular new posts 8 Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants nervousgmat 191 16 Aug 2007, 06:16
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 11 Calling all UNC Kenan-Flagler 2010 applicants Class2012 368 14 Jul 2009, 07:24
Popular new posts 19 Calling All 2011 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants! mba20thirteen 722 10 Aug 2010, 09:42
Popular new posts 12 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kenan-Flagler (UNC) 2013- Calling all applicants nktdotgupta 269 05 Oct 2012, 22:01
Moved topic 18 Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants subhashghosh 405 19 Jul 2011, 03:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  21    Next  [ 406 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.