Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 05:07
This post received
KUDOS
washingtondc627 wrote:
Does anyone have any insight regarding KF's early action? It's a little ambiguous as to whether it's binding. Their website states:

"Early Action is an option for applicants who know for certain that they will attend UNC Kenan-Flagler if admitted. Early Action provides applicants with the certainty of learning their decision by December 12, 2011. Admitted applicants in the Early Action cycle will be required to submit a $2,500 non-refundable enrollment deposit by January 9, 2012, in order to secure a space in the class. You should not apply for Early Action if you are not prepared to commit immediately to attending UNC."

However, I can't find anywhere if it's binding. I've seen another thread that touched on this, but there was a lot of hearsay and nothing too definitive. Someone had a story of a friend's other apps being automatically withdrawn when he was accepted to KF because KF informed his other schools of his EA acceptance. It reads as if you can just not submit your deposit (thereby giving up your spot, so you aren't really stealing anyone's spot), but I certainly don't want to jeopardize my other apps if this EA option is binding.

The main reason I'm asking is because my app is ready to submit, and I'd prefer to get it in as early as possible since it's done, but I just don't want miss the fine print or anything. More importantly, I don't want to do anything unethical, 'cause that's pretty lame.

Thoughts, anyone? Would love some clarity on this.

Thanks a lot.

To me it looks like that, no, you're not fully required to go and, no, it's not legally/officially binding. Do they talk to other programs? Maybe (in previous threads it appears that way), and you might be taking a chance with things. Regarding ethics, it's very clear you're making a verbal/unofficial commitment that you'll go if admitted and are prepared to commit immediately. You're making (IMO of course) a verbal/unofficial commitment and you shouldn't take that lightly. FWIW, the next round isn't any more competitive really and your chances of getting money is likely higher. That's why I chose it :-).
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 05:14
sayantan1987 wrote:
1) While writing down my GMAT AWA scores as part of the application while i was writing down 5.5 the website is recording as 6. What to do? Also while writing down about my languages other than English while i submitted Bengali to be one of them website is not recording it.

I have been having some problems with the application as well. I'd recommend calling their admissions office and ask for technical assistance on the application. They should be able to help you.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 22

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 05:22

Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 06:09
I guess there is no hard fact I can point to. It's just my feeling based on prior discussions about KF in particular and EA round discussion on this forum in general. If you search around you'll see that people seem to consider the first two rounds to be (almost equally) easier than the later rounds. There very well may be a difference, but I really don't think it's substantial personally. If you have above a 700 GMAT and you're applying to Darden and Tuck, you probably don't need the mild (if any) advantage EA provides IMO.

washingtondc627 wrote:
Thanks a lot, that is helpful. Out of curiosity, on what are you basing your assumption that 2nd Round is not that much more competitive?

I am leaning toward switching my app to Round 2 (or whatever you call the one after the EA round). For what it's worth, my admissions consultant advised that I do that as well...
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 06:34
wonderbread1 wrote:
I guess there is no hard fact I can point to. It's just my feeling based on prior discussions about KF in particular and EA round discussion on this forum in general. If you search around you'll see that people seem to consider the first two rounds to be (almost equally) easier than the later rounds. There very well may be a difference, but I really don't think it's substantial personally. If you have above a 700 GMAT and you're applying to Darden and Tuck, you probably don't need the mild (if any) advantage EA provides IMO.

washingtondc627 wrote:
Thanks a lot, that is helpful. Out of curiosity, on what are you basing your assumption that 2nd Round is not that much more competitive?

I am leaning toward switching my app to Round 2 (or whatever you call the one after the EA round). For what it's worth, my admissions consultant advised that I do that as well...

FWIW, I agree with wonderbread1. I think applying in R2 won't affect your chance of getting in all that much compared to applying in R1/EA.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Intern
Intern

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 06:37
What's your consultant's reasoning, btw?

washingtondc627 wrote:

wonderbread1 wrote:
washingtondc627 wrote:
Does anyone have any insight regarding KF's early action? It's a little ambiguous as to whether it's binding. Their website states:

"Early Action is an option for applicants who know for certain that they will attend UNC Kenan-Flagler if admitted. Early Action provides applicants with the certainty of learning their decision by December 12, 2011. Admitted applicants in the Early Action cycle will be required to submit a $2,500 non-refundable enrollment deposit by January 9, 2012, in order to secure a space in the class. You should not apply for Early Action if you are not prepared to commit immediately to attending UNC."

However, I can't find anywhere if it's binding. I've seen another thread that touched on this, but there was a lot of hearsay and nothing too definitive. Someone had a story of a friend's other apps being automatically withdrawn when he was accepted to KF because KF informed his other schools of his EA acceptance. It reads as if you can just not submit your deposit (thereby giving up your spot, so you aren't really stealing anyone's spot), but I certainly don't want to jeopardize my other apps if this EA option is binding.

The main reason I'm asking is because my app is ready to submit, and I'd prefer to get it in as early as possible since it's done, but I just don't want miss the fine print or anything. More importantly, I don't want to do anything unethical, 'cause that's pretty lame.

Thoughts, anyone? Would love some clarity on this.

Thanks a lot.

To me it looks like that, no, you're not fully required to go and, no, it's not legally/officially binding. Do they talk to other programs? Maybe (in previous threads it appears that way), and you might be taking a chance with things. Regarding ethics, it's very clear you're making a verbal/unofficial commitment that you'll go if admitted and are prepared to commit immediately. You're making (IMO of course) a verbal/unofficial commitment and you shouldn't take that lightly. FWIW, the next round isn't any more competitive really and your chances of getting money is likely higher. That's why I chose it :-).
Manager
Manager

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 10:17

Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 22

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS

Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 00:51
Guys any international applicant applying in the EA round has scheduled his/her telephonic interview or interview via skype as of yet. As it seems one can schedule their interview after paying the application fees.
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS, Booth, UNC,ISB
WE 1: Software Develoment
WE 2: Derivative Trader

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 22:47
I submitted my Application yesterday. I have already had my interviews done when Sherry Wallace( Admission Director) was visiting India. Anyone on the same boat?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2011, 07:40
Any women on the boards attending the Women's Workshop November 11-12?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 03:47
washingtondc627 wrote:
In case anyone has any questions about KF's early action binding/non-binding issue, I called their admissions office just now and asked a few questions. I wrote an email to my admissions consultant (she helped me with two other schools, not KF) recapping what KF's admissions office told me so that perhaps they could use that info to answer other clients' questions on the same issue. The meat of the email is below. Hope it helps you all out as well:

- I asked if KF EA is binding, and was told that it is NOT binding, but you just have to submit your deposit earlier than normal (so that kind of inherently/unofficially makes it binding depending on your other schools' decision dates). In my case, it wouldn't matter since [school x]/[school y] both release their decisions around the same time as KF.

- I asked if, while there is no legally binding aspect (think college early decision or Fuqua/Columbia), there is an ethical issue with applying EA to KF and then going elsewhere if you are accepted. This is where it gets interesting: she said no, there is no legal OR ethical implication/issue, but nevertheless if you are considering other schools along with KF then you should apply in the December round. Basically, don't apply EA to KF unless it's your 100%, no questions asked #1 choice. Seems pretty subjective and as if there's a bit of wiggle room, but I guess if someone is concerned with "doing the right thing" then they should not apply EA to KF unless they'd enroll upon acceptance without batting an eye.

- I asked if EA increases your chances of getting in vs. December round (I know they can't give a straight answer but I couldn't help myself from asking) and she said that she can't really answer that but also that it shouldn't have a significant effect.

- Lastly, for people (such as myself) who occasionally look to media outlets such as GMATClub.com or other forums for random advice or thoughts on applications: I asked about a story I read about someone getting into KF EA, then finding out that all his other applications were automatically withdrawn because KF's adcomm contacted the other schools. She laughed and said no way that's true, and that they do not contact other schools or force you to withdraw apps or anything else. She said nothing like that happens.

Lastly, and for what it's worth, I decided that I am most likely going to avoid any potential moral/ethical hangovers and just apply in the December round, even though my app is ready to go for EA...

Thanks, pretty comprehensive. I also mailed some questions on the similar lines and decided to move my app to the next round. Well when every B school places so much emphasis on ethics, why not lead by example !!

CheerS!

I was born intelligent but education ruined me !

Intern
Intern

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 09:20
Anyone officially in for R1? Planning on R2?

FWIW, the thread last year seems to have been a bit more active than this year. Looks like it had ~2x the posts at this point last year.
Manager
Manager

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 09:25

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 09:41
Planning for R2. I have my interview on November 11 and will be taking the GMAT on November 19.

washingtondc657 - I would love to hear about your interview after next week. Good luck!

Last edited by sewcrafty on 27 Oct 2011, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Human Resources (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 12:36
Guys,

Need some real quick advice!

Here is my profile:
GMAT: 740 V 41 Q 49 AWA 5
Acads: 79% Bcomm
Work Ex: with a BPO company (3 yrs by Fall 2012 + 2 yrs Part time)
extra curricular: Decent (BTW, I cant tell you what decent is?)
Community: Decent
Job profile: Training process owner for a dept of ~80 employees. Responsible for Learning development function, performance improvement, training, feedback, people development, etc.
Career goal: Entrepreneurship in BPO industry

Do you think KF will be a good fit considering my profile? Please tell me anything/everything that you know about this school.

Cheers, Shajji.
Manager
Manager

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 05:21

Intern
Intern

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 16:20
@abagnale11 , can you please share your profile? I also interviewed with Sherry when she visited bangalore MBA fair on 28th Sept. Where and when did you interview? Waiting for the decision , anxiously.
Intern
Intern

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 16:24
shajji wrote:
Guys,

Need some real quick advice!

Here is my profile:
GMAT: 740 V 41 Q 49 AWA 5
Acads: 79% Bcomm
Work Ex: with a BPO company (3 yrs by Fall 2012 + 2 yrs Part time)
extra curricular: Decent (BTW, I cant tell you what decent is?)
Community: Decent
Job profile: Training process owner for a dept of ~80 employees. Responsible for Learning development function, performance improvement, training, feedback, people development, etc.
Career goal: Entrepreneurship in BPO industry

Do you think KF will be a good fit considering my profile? Please tell me anything/everything that you know about this school.

Cheers, Shajji.

If entrepreneurship is really (lets be frank here, people lie about it, for reasons....) your aim , and in BPO idustry, then UNC is not fit for you. Babson , UCLA , MIT, stanford , UCSD will be the programs for you.
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS, Booth, UNC,ISB
WE 1: Software Develoment
WE 2: Derivative Trader

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 14:20
prakash419 wrote:
@abagnale11 , can you please share your profile? I also interviewed with Sherry when she visited bangalore MBA fair on 28th Sept. Where and when did you interview? Waiting for the decision , anxiously.

GMAT -700/ 6 yrs/ Finance(Fixed income/Interest Rates Derivatives)

I was interviewed on 27th Sept in New Delhi
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2011, 14:20