Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 03:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 265 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 03:31
This post received
KUDOS
Calling All UNC Kenan-Flagler Fall 2012 Applicants!

Detailed Program Information: Youtube Link

MBA Blog

Fall 2012 Application Instructions

(Early Action) Deadline 1: 10/21/2011 | Decision Date: 12/12/2011
Deadline 2 : 12/02/2011 | Decision Date: 06/02/2012
Deadline 3 : 01/06/2012 | Decision Date: 3/19/2012
Deadline 4 : 03/16/2012 | Decision Date: 4/30/2012

Essays
Essay 1 (Required): What are the 2 or 3 strengths or characteristics that have driven your career success thus far? What are the other strengths that you would like to leverage in the future? (500 words maximum)

Essay 2 (Required): Please describe your short and long term goals post-MBA. Explain how: your professional experience has shaped these goals; why this career option appeals to you; and how you arrived at the decision that now is the time and the MBA is the appropriate degree. (500 words maximum)

Essay 3 (Required): What personal qualities or life experiences distinguish you from other applicants? How do these qualities or experiences equip you to contribute to UNC Kenan-Flagler? (500 words maximum)

Essay 4 (Optional): If your standardized test scores are low, or if you have not had coursework in core business subjects (calculus, microeconomics, statistics, financial accounting), please tell us how you plan to prepare yourself for the quantitative rigor of the MBA curriculum. (300 words maximum)

Essay 5 (Optional):Is there any other information you would like to share that is not presented elsewhere in the application?
(300 words maximum)

Recommendation Questions (2 recommenders)
  • How long and in what capacity have you known the applicant?
  • Describe the applicant’s potential for becoming a responsible and successful manager.
  • What are the applicant’s major strengths?
  • What are the applicant’s most noticeable areas for improvement or growth?
  • Please use the space below to elaborate on the applicant’s qualifications.

UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Application Tracker Feed

Detailed Applicant List: Add UNC (Kenan-Fagler) to Your Profile

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Previous Year's thread :

calling-all-2011-unc-kenan-flagler-applicants-98885.html

Last edited by rasta on 27 Dec 2011, 00:24, edited 2 times in total.
Updated
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [2] , given: 5

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 15:43
This post received
KUDOS
RG0105 wrote:
I still need to make a trip to Chapel Hill (never even been to NC)...for all of you guys that have interviewed on campus or have just visited, what was your general perception of UNC compared to maybe some other schools you've been to? Anything notable that stood out?

I've been out to Chapel Hill twice - once just for a campus visit and then again for my interview. I really like the area. Chapel Hill has that classic American college town feel to it, and is a little off the beaten path, but probably about 20 minutes from the airport. The research triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) seems to be a thriving and vibrant area and I think has a positive feel to it. Franklin street in Chapel Hill has a unique variety of restaurant and bars and seems to be the hang out location.

Not sure where you are coming from, but on my first time visit I couldn't help but notice how dark it is at night. I guess I am not really used to driving where there aren't lights everywhere! It was kind of funny because that was my absolute first impression of the area (I arrived in the evening).

As for the business school itself - the McColl building is fairly new. I believe it was built in 1997 and the facilities are similar to what you would find at most other top business schools in terms of classrooms, technology, etc.

I found the students to be very welcoming and spoke very positively about the school (this has been true of most other schools I have visited). I'm not sure how your interview was, but mine was laid back and I would say that was the general vibe I got from the school. It is a pretty small program and heavily focused on teamwork and leadership (I'm sure you already know that). I would say the leadership focus at KFBS is stronger than any of the other programs I have looked at.

Are you planning on visiting?
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
WE: Asset Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 9

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
Just got a call from Kenan flagler with full tuition!!! Consortium fellow!!! wooohoooo!!!
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 153 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 14:14
This post received
KUDOS
washingtondc627 wrote:
Hey folks, quick questions about KF:

1) I plan on applying early action but as someone previously posted, I cannot tell if it's binding. By no means is it my "back up," I am just applying to two other schools that, like KF, are very competitive and I am not guaranteed to get in anywhere, hence three round 1 / EA applications. Can anyone shed any light on this?

2) Essay 1 in the KF application is the only essay topic (of the three required ones) that doesn't have a word limit explicitly stated. Are y'all sticking with a 500 word maximum (like the other two essays) or are you not keeping a max word count in mind for that essay?

Thanks all, and good luck to everyone. I'm ready to be DONE with this application process...

I can't answer #1, but I can certainly address #2.

Essay 1 is truncated on the application tool. Not only is there a max word count of 500, but there is also a follow-up question to what is currently posted. See below for the complete question.

What are the 2 or 3 strengths or characteristics that have driven your career success thus far? What are the other strengths that you would like to leverage in the future? (500 words)

By the way, I'm submitting in R2, AKA other schools' R1.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 05:07
This post received
KUDOS
washingtondc627 wrote:
Does anyone have any insight regarding KF's early action? It's a little ambiguous as to whether it's binding. Their website states:

"Early Action is an option for applicants who know for certain that they will attend UNC Kenan-Flagler if admitted. Early Action provides applicants with the certainty of learning their decision by December 12, 2011. Admitted applicants in the Early Action cycle will be required to submit a $2,500 non-refundable enrollment deposit by January 9, 2012, in order to secure a space in the class. You should not apply for Early Action if you are not prepared to commit immediately to attending UNC."

However, I can't find anywhere if it's binding. I've seen another thread that touched on this, but there was a lot of hearsay and nothing too definitive. Someone had a story of a friend's other apps being automatically withdrawn when he was accepted to KF because KF informed his other schools of his EA acceptance. It reads as if you can just not submit your deposit (thereby giving up your spot, so you aren't really stealing anyone's spot), but I certainly don't want to jeopardize my other apps if this EA option is binding.

The main reason I'm asking is because my app is ready to submit, and I'd prefer to get it in as early as possible since it's done, but I just don't want miss the fine print or anything. More importantly, I don't want to do anything unethical, 'cause that's pretty lame.

Thoughts, anyone? Would love some clarity on this.

Thanks a lot.

To me it looks like that, no, you're not fully required to go and, no, it's not legally/officially binding. Do they talk to other programs? Maybe (in previous threads it appears that way), and you might be taking a chance with things. Regarding ethics, it's very clear you're making a verbal/unofficial commitment that you'll go if admitted and are prepared to commit immediately. You're making (IMO of course) a verbal/unofficial commitment and you shouldn't take that lightly. FWIW, the next round isn't any more competitive really and your chances of getting money is likely higher. That's why I chose it :-).
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 22

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS

Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 22

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS

Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
AshForGMAT wrote:
Hi Guys,

Please can you help me understand how best to tackle the interview questions like Why MBA? What is it that the interviewer is looking for in this question?

Also how is it different from 'Why KFBS?' and 'What are you short term and long term goals?'

Thanks,
Ash

There are several things you need to understand about yourself / career goals before going into the MBA interview: what you want to do, why you want to do it, why an MBA will help you achieve those goals, and why specifically an MBA from XXX school. Furthermore, you need to be able to articulate answers to each of these questions in an intelligent manor.

Answers to the questions above will be different for every person, depending on goals etc.

Why an MBA? You should have a well laid out plan, or at least a flexible guideline for your career that depends on you achieving an MBA. Maybe you want to switch careers from Engineering to Marketing and you need the MBA to give you the toolset and ability to make the jump. Maybe you're climbing corporate ladder at a tech company and you need additional business sense on top of your engineering degree and experience. etc... Whatever your case here you should have some plan that requires you having the additional education; but make sure you truly believe in the plan adcoms hear these stories everyday and will point you out quickly if they think you're just throwing buzzwords at them.

Why KFBS? Each MBA program will work this question in somehow. Regardless of where you go in say the top 25 schools you'll get a great education from some VERY impressive / smart people. But, and this is a big but, not all programs are created equal with regard to other aspects. Some schools, like Harvard, teach exclusively using case method (KFBS is mostly case, but not all) while others are light on the case approach. Some schools are HUGE i.e. lots of students, Harvard / Wharton, and some are small, Tuck. You have to figure out what type of atmosphere is right for you; some schools are more competitive while others are more collaborative team based. Additionally, maybe one school has a professor that studies something you're interested in, one of the KFBS profs studies airport business models. Finally, don't forget about location, that varies a lot with the different business schools. Regardless of your answers for these questions you should definitely have done research on the B-School you're getting ready to interview and know a lot about it, and why you fit in and want to go there etc.

Short term and long term goals will factor into your answer to the "Why an MBA" question. Usually short term is within the next 5 years and long term is after that, i.e. if you could pick out a final job in your career what would it be. Be careful spitting out an answer of say CEO, your answer should be well thought out and follow a logical progression from short term to long term.

I hope this helps!
Andrew
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 17:37
This post received
KUDOS
AshForGMAT wrote:
One more question that i wanted some clarity on ...
What role do you play in a team?

What exactly are the Adcoms looking for in the answer...my current role is a business analyst. But i am not directly leading teams as such...
Thanks,
Ash

The team question is meant to figure out exactly what it asks. When you're put into a team environment what role do you usually play. You should sit down and ask yourself "Do I always take the leadership role?" & "Am I ok with taking orders from someone on a team" & "Can I follow the direction of a team even if I don't agree with it?"

You don't have to have lead a team or had the title "Team Lead" to answer this question. You collaborate everyday with people at your work towards achieving a common goal, you should be able to draw from this experience what you need to answer this question.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 12

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 14:49
This post received
KUDOS
zohaibmahmood wrote:
Hi guys, I am preparing for the KF interview. I would really appreciate if applicants who have already been interviewed to share their interview experiences and if there were any strange/ unusual questions ??

Hi,

I had my Kenan-Flagler interview today. It lasted almost 40 mins.
The interviewer was quite friendly and no strange/unusual questions were asked.
A brief summary of the interview:
Introduction, career goals, why MBA/why Now, some work experience related questions,
strenghts, why kenan-flagler, Any questions.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 5

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 19:39
This post received
KUDOS
packfan1 wrote:
Heading down for an interview on Tuesday. Excited to get that first admissions decision in!

Any tips on what to expect interview wise? Are the interviews still blind even though they are conducted by members of the adcom?

I had my interview last Monday and it was blind. The interview lasted about 40 minutes and I thought it was pretty standard. Basically walk me through your resume, a few follow up questions, why MBA, why kenan-flagler, and some questions about my leadership style. That's about it!

Good Luck! :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 5

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
Gemini66 wrote:
Hello Guys !

I have a couple of questions:

First question is targetted at those who have already completed their interview for KFBS. Was there any question which you felt caught you slightly off-guard?

Next is a general question : Is it necessary to quote names of faculty members whose work excites you and whose classes you hope to attend. Being an international student, I didnt get a chance to visit KF or interact closely with any of them. How do you show your intrest in the faculty in such circumstances?

Thanks & All the best to all of us ! :)

If you look back a couple pages a bunch of people have shared their interview experience. It sounds like most people's experiences have been very similar. I interviewed last week and I thought the interview was pretty standard. It was a blind interview, lasted about 40 minutes, and there really weren't any questions that caught me off guard. It was just walk me through your resume, a few follow up questions, why MBA, why kenan-flagler, and some questions about my leadership style.

As for mentioning the names of faculty members, I think if you can speak honestly about why you want to take classes with them or why their work excites you and particularly if these points tie directly to you career goals I would go for it if they ask you why you want to attend Kenan-Flagler. I absolutely do not think this is necessary, and if you just mention names without clear reasoning it may seem out of place.

I think you can show interest in several ways. Have you reached out to any of the student ambassadors or any of these professors directly? That would be a place to start. Also, I think your interest can be shown by the questions you chose to ask at the end of the interview. Through your questions you can demonstrate your depth of knowledge about the program and why it excites you.

I hope this helps! Good Luck! :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 3

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone- I am trying to decide between enrolling in UNC or Emory's full time MBA program in the fall and would appreciate anyone's opinion on what I should do. I am interested in pursuing consulting, post-MBA. I feel that UNC or Emory would allow me to transition into consulting (I believe Emory places lots of graduates into consulting in Atlanta). However, I feel that UNC has a better known MBA program and may allow more opportunities long-term. Also, if by chance I arrive at school and decide to try something other than consulting I think UNC's program would allow more flexibility to try something else. I also feel I would be able to make better connections, long-term, by attending UNC. Emory is obviously in Atlanta, which is a positive. I would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 7

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 19:27
This post received
KUDOS
tsiria wrote:
Just got a call from Kenan flagler with full tuition!!! Consortium fellow!!! wooohoooo!!!

Wow...thatz a sweet deal....Congratulations Tsiria :)

It seems what's left of my human side,
Is slowly changing in me...

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 2

Re: Kenan-Flagler 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
I was hoping for some $$ too, in the past 4-5 days since I was admitted I really started to like KF but without $$$ I'll have to go to Emory where I have a full ride - first world problems.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Thunderbird (M)
GMAT 1: 570 Q41 V27
GPA: 2.62
WE: Operations (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2012 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 23:23
I'm in depending on how I do on my GMAT retake.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2012 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 06:15
Count me in. Good luck to all of us!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2012 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 12:23
I am waiting for my GMAT score too to decide weather to apply here or not.

@jp0812, when are you planning to give gmat?

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All 2012 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2011, 17:31
Does UNC award scholarships to people who apply in the first round (ED)?

I'm hoping my low-ish GPA can be overcome w/ my GMAT score and 10 years of w.e -- to get some kind of scholarship to attend the school.
Re: Calling All 2012 UNC Kenan-Flagler Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2011, 17:31