Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 11:51
Hi
I'm new to gmat club so forgive me but are the charts in the 1st post for the current application season. And are the GPAs and GMATs listed in that first chart averages, or maxes/mins? I've no idea how to add my data there.

Secondly, I'm leveraging the heck out of the consortium and will probably apply to 6 schools. Does anyone know how is it that only 1 school can offer you a fellowship? Do schools who admit you (or just receive your application) know where else you're applying and those other admission decisions?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 06:40
BigUp wrote:
does anyone know if schools will be able to see the membership essay?

I'm pretty sure the website says they cannot.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 04:41
Will be applying to a few schools through Consortium this year, best of luck to everyone.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 21:43
Question about mission recommendations: can I submit the app before the deadline and my mission recommender submit the recommendation after the deadline? Does that kick me over to the next round even if everything else is done?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

Premium Member
Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 21:48
schools DO see your rankings and DO count it in their admissions as some are 'yield sensitive' : Tuck, Yale, Stern being the most sensitive. From what I've heard, Tuck #needs# to be #1 for admissions consideration, stern likes #1 but will begrudgingly take #2, Yale is similar.

HOWEVER -- if Tuck admits you and gives you a scholarship, Stern may accept you and try to give you their own full scholarship to steal you away from Tuck. If Tuck doesnt admit you, Stern can admit you but if they gave out all of their scholarships in the first round of admissions, then they wont give you money.

Certain schools have a limited amount of scholarship $$ they give out and as such it is usually done in the first round or two for the most selective schools, schools which are less selective may be able to hold their money over until other rounds and 'be okay' with you ranking them #3

lower ranked schools are more flexible overall

and yes i know it says 'schools do not weigh this is or use it' but... reality is harsh :P read over all the old threads and pore through them if youd like
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 19:47
helpmehelpme wrote:
schools DO see your rankings and DO count it in their admissions as some are 'yield sensitive' : Tuck, Yale, Stern being the most sensitive. From what I've heard, Tuck #needs# to be #1 for admissions consideration, stern likes #1 but will begrudgingly take #2, Yale is similar.

HOWEVER -- if Tuck admits you and gives you a scholarship, Stern may accept you and try to give you their own full scholarship to steal you away from Tuck. If Tuck doesnt admit you, Stern can admit you but if they gave out all of their scholarships in the first round of admissions, then they wont give you money.

Certain schools have a limited amount of scholarship $$ they give out and as such it is usually done in the first round or two for the most selective schools, schools which are less selective may be able to hold their money over until other rounds and 'be okay' with you ranking them #3

and yes i know it says 'schools do not weigh this is or use it' but... reality is harsh :P read over all the old threads and pore through them if youd like

This is Flat Out incorrect.

I have talked with people working in the Consortium as well as adcom from Consortium schools. They all say the rankings have NO impact on your acceptance. In fact, schools don't even know what you've ranked them as until AFTER they have sent out their admissions decisions. The scholarship process begins well after the admissions decisions have been sent. It is only at this point that schools can find out what you have ranked them as.

Hope that clears up any confusion.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 10

Premium Member
Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
HopesDreams88 wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:

I have talked with people working in the Consortium as well as adcom from Consortium schools. They all say the rankings have NO impact on your acceptance. In fact, schools don't even know what you've ranked them as until AFTER they have sent out their admissions decisions. The scholarship process begins well after the admissions decisions have been sent. It is only at this point that schools can find out what you have ranked them as.

read all the old threads on gmatclub and ask STUDENTS, not the adcom or the Consortium. makes no difference to me, i was just trying to advocate for others strategy what i would have done differently
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 06:27
tale of caution and strategy :)
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 08:45
HopesDreams88 wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:

This may be true "officially" as far as the Consort knows but what's stopping one school from informally reaching out to another about a student?
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 11:42
ceecee wrote:
HopesDreams88 wrote:
helpmehelpme wrote:

This may be true "officially" as far as the Consort knows but what's stopping one school from informally reaching out to another about a student?

schools are aware of the rankings and can be sensitive to where a student places them. In my experience, unless you are "underapplying" (ie: your stats are incredibly high in comparison to the program's stats for GMAT/GPA), you have a much smaller chance of getting in to a #5/#6 school (let alone getting money).

The schools definitely know. I even had one mention the funding issue to me after I was accepted but before the draft for Consortium $$.

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Human Resources (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 16:52
I just sent in my R1 application. Yay!

But there was no confirmation email (but I got a screen saying "Submission Complete!" on the website. Is this normal? Did my materials and money just fall into a black hole?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 19:55
BigUp wrote:
does anyone know if schools will be able to see the membership essay?

From CGSM's FAQ:
Q: I understand that all schools get to read the same general essay questions. Does each school get to read the other schools’ individual essays? ▼

A: All schools will see the required core essay and the optional core essay if you choose to complete it. Each school will see only its specific essay and not the completed essays for any other schools. The first core essay is used to consider your admission to business school.
Current Student

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 07:02
Anyone else in for Rd 1? Submitted overnight to 3 schools
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 16:33
I know it probably changes from year to year, but does anybody know the breakdown of number of fellowships each school has given out the last couple of year or two? I've searched high and low and on every school and CGSM websites but could not find anything :?

Also good luck for those applying to today. 3.5 hrs left :!:
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 19:53
HopesDreams88 wrote:
I know it probably changes from year to year, but does anybody know the breakdown of number of fellowships each school has given out the last couple of year or two? I've searched high and low and on every school and CGSM websites but could not find anything :?

Also good luck for those applying to today. 3.5 hrs left :!:

no but thats why i wasadvocating the ranking if scgiiks.. friendof mine last year ranked michigan #2, but didnt get a fellowship from them and then wasawarded #3 scholarship by Kenan Flagler at UNC
Current Student
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 16:54
In for Rd 1. Good luck everybody!
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Human Resources (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 07:15
I submitted my application last weekend, yet still haven't had any confirmation from the Consortium that they have sent my materials to the schools I have applied to. I know that some schools plan on announcing their interview requests soon... has anyone had their materials sent on yet?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 19:04
helpmehelpme wrote:
no but thats why i wasadvocating the ranking if scgiiks.. friendof mine last year ranked michigan #2, but didnt get a fellowship from them and then wasawarded #3 scholarship by Kenan Flagler at UNC
[/quote]

I have to stand corrected on the ranking. :oops:

I think it goes without saying but the Consortium is REALLY doing a disservice to its applicants by showing the Rankings to Adcoms before they make their decisions.

Nevermind the fact that every school is worried about Yield, one of the most important things Adcoms are looking for is Fit. If you look at all the supplemental essays, almost every one asks "Why is our school the best for you" . The entire purpose for this supplemental essays is to show the Adcoms you REALLY want to go there. How effective is your essay, if the adcom had just saw you rank them as 2nd, 3rd, or whatever number "not your top choice" is? Every level you rank that school below 1 is a ding against your application.

For an organization thats focused on helping URMs, why does consortium put such a big obstacle for its applicant pool that no other applicant has to face?!

Whats more, CGSM representatives emphatically state (i've heard it at least three different times :evil: ) that the ranking do not matter for admissions. I actually convinced myself on this point (see comments above) by assuming that adcoms did not see the rankings :x ). I mean, I honestly could not see HOW an organization can be so resolute about this stance unless they kept ranking information protected until AFTER admissions.

Apparently there is just some verbal agreement that adcoms are not suppose to use the rankings to make an admit decisions. :roll:
That's a lot of hoping and dreaming, even for me! Every School says they take a holistic process. All else equal, why would they not consider the fact you put them #1 vs #3 into consideration.

Confounding the situation, most applicants change their minds about their favorite or 2nd favorite school as the process continues. Unfortunately, this absurd ranking process has in essence forced CGSM applicants to announce their decisions many months before any of their peers and, most importantly, prior to adcom decisions.

I mean, can you imagine going to an interview and an adcom asking you "So you say you really like our school, then why did you rank us #3?!" :shock: I know they probably wont ask that (not sure if thats even better :| ), but you know they're thinking about it while you're waxing poetic about their campus, culture, and emphasis on blah blah blah!

For an organization that does so much right (and they do a LOT of good), the CGSM has put a completely unnecessary burden on its applicants. Assuming it can be fixed overnight by two IT guys and some bubble gum, why in the world does this ridiculousness continue?!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 09:21
speedyb09 wrote:
I submitted my application last weekend, yet still haven't had any confirmation from the Consortium that they have sent my materials to the schools I have applied to. I know that some schools plan on announcing their interview requests soon... has anyone had their materials sent on yet?

Per email this morning, "Your application has been reviewed for completion by The Consortium and released to the member schools you selected. You will hear from each school included in your application with an admission decision."
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 20:43
I'm more so surprised that year after year ,even though each class discusses how the rankings impact you, that nothing gets done about changing the blinds .

I wouldnt be surprised if part of the sell to schools to become consortium members is to say hey not only will you boost your diversity percentages but you can use this to adjust your yield ! And there in is part of the worth for the school. I think it would be very interesting to know why Duke and Columbia etc other schools are NOT part of the consortium .

But yes it sucks to get lied to about something -- I was told last year to just put rankings how id want and that everything will work out and although they did ultimately work out, I know many others on the boards who got straight dinged and part of me worries if they had applied through normal methods they might have been accepted.

That being said I think the Consortium app is great and obviously chance at full ride is fantastic but definitely know your game and transparency would be great. Depending on your stats and all I think if you're targeting top 15ish programs I'd target maybe two tops and maybe a third in the fifteen to twenty range using the co sortium app. The game theory behind this is really a mindfuck and I wish everyone not only the best to getting Into one of their top picks but also a full ride which I would LOVE to see the wealth gained from partially transferred into inner city and poverty programs in the future

And as for your ranking during the interview question, friend at Cornell was asked that :P

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2013, 20:43