Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 16

Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2014, 14:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This discussion group is for Consortium Applicants applying this fall to enter grad school in 2015.

CONSORTIUM DEADLINES

Early Application Deadline Oct. 15
GMAT® and/or GRE Early Deadline Sept. 25*

Traditional Application Deadline Jan. 5
GMAT® and/or GRE Traditional Deadline Dec. 15*

Admission Decision Varies
Fellowship Notification Mid-March

*Applications and all supporting materials are due at 11:59 p.m. EST on the deadline date.

CONSORTIUM SOCIAL MEDIA

Tweets

FB Updates

Last edited by bml1105 on 14 Aug 2014, 06:49, edited 5 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 18:37
This post received
KUDOS
Here are all the essays for the 2015 Consortium Application:

CORE ESSAYS

Instructions: The following essay questions provide us with an opportunity to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, experiences, and any other traits and abilities that are considered relevant to your educational goals and long-term career objectives. Please include your full name and essay number or subject on each page. Type your essays in a standard size 8 1/2" x 11" MS Word document. Please limit each essay to no more than two double -spaced pages.

Core Essay #1 (Required): Please describe your short and long term goals post-MBA. How has your professional experience shaped these goals and influenced your decision to pursue an MBA degree?
Core Essay #2 (Optional): Is there any other information you would like to share that is not presented elsewhere in the application? You may also use this essay to provide further explanation of employment gaps, test scores, etc.
Mission Essay: The mission of The Consortium is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping the serious underrepresentation of African American, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management. What have you done pre-MBA in your business, academic or personal life to demonstrate commitment to this mission? What will you do while enrolled in your MBA program to demonstrate your commitment to the mission? What will you do post-MBA with respect to community service and leadership involvement to demonstrate your continued commitment to The Consortium’s mission of diversity and inclusion?

Please provide specific examples of your involvement, actions and results. *

CARNEGIE MELLON

Essay #1 (Maximum 300 words): Describe a defining moment in your life and explain how it has shaped you as a person.*

Essay #2 (Maximum 300 words): Based on your research and interactions with the Tepper Community, share why you are a good fit with the Tepper MBA program.*

CORNELL

Character Essay (1000 character maximum) (Required): You are the author for the book of Your Life Story. Please write the table of contents for the book. Note: Approach this essay with your unique style. We value creativity and authenticity.

Optional Essay: Complete this essay if you would like to add additional details regarding your candidacy. For instance, if you believe one or more aspects of your application (e.g. undergraduate record or test scores) do not accurately reflect your potential for success at the Johnson School. (1000 character limit)

DARTMOUTH

Essay #1 (Required): Please respond fully but concisely to the following essay question. There are no right or wrong answers. Why is an MBA a critical next step toward your short- and long-term career goals? Why is Tuck the best MBA fit for you and your goals and why are you the best fit for Tuck? (Limit 500 words)

Essay #2 (Required): Tell us about your most meaningful collaborative leadership experience and what role you played. What did you learn about your own individual strengths and weaknesses through this experience? (Limit 500 words)

EMORY

The Business School is named for Roberto C. Goizueta, former Chairman and CEO of The Coca-Cola Company, who led the organization for 16 years, extending its global reach, quadrupling consumption, building brand equity, and creating unprecedented shareholder wealth. It is his legacy and the strength of his character that gives rise to our vision: Principled Leaders for Global Enterprise. Goizueta once said, "The cynics will tell you that the good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. I’m telling you, do it anyway. "

Essay #1: Provide an example of the good you have contributed to an organization and the impact of your actions. Please limit your response to 300 words.

Essay # 2: In 25 words or less, please share with the committee and your future classmates an interesting or fun fact about you.

GEORGETOWN

Essay #1 (Required): Why You? (Hint: we are looking for an answer that cannot be found from research on our website) – Response must fit in the space provided (4000 characters)

Optional Essay: If you are not currently employed full-time, use this space to provide information about your current activities. (1,000 characters)

Dual Degree Essay: If you are applying to a dual degree program, please address how the additional degree will help you reach your goals. (2,000 characters)

Re-applicant Essay: How have you strengthened your candidacy since your last application? We are particularly interested in hearing about how you have grown professionally and personally. In addition, please update the Admissions Committee on you short-term career goals following graduation from the Georgetown MBA program. (4,000 characters)

Work History Gaps: Note: If you have gaps in your work experience, please include an explanation in this section of the application. (1000 characters)

INDIANA UNIVERSITY - BLOOMINGTON

Essay #1: How did you first learn of the Kelley School of Business? How will the particular attributes of the Kelley MBA Program prepare you to meet your professional goals? (4,000 characters)

NYU

Your Fit with NYU Stern (Required): What actions have you taken to determine that NYU is the best fit for your MBA experience? (250 words maximum)

BERKELEY HAAS

At Berkeley-Haas, our distinctive culture is defined by four key principles — Question the Status Quo; Confidence Without Attitude; Students Always; and Beyond Yourself. We seek candidates from a broad mix of cultures, backgrounds, and industries who demonstrate a strong cultural fit with our program and defining principles. Please use the following essays as an opportunity to reflect on and share with us the values, experiences, and accomplishments that have helped shape who you are. (Learn more about Berkeley-Haas' Defining Principles)

Essay #1 (Required):Describe an experience that has fundamentally changed the way you see the world. How did this transform you? (4000 characters)

Essay #2 (Required): What is your most significant professional accomplishment? (2000 characters)

(Optional) If you do not explicitly answer the below points in your career goals essay for the Consortium, please take up to 4000 characters to address them now.

What is your desired post-MBA role and at what company or organization? In your response, please specifically address sub-questions a., b., and c.
a. How is your background compelling to this company?
b. What is something you would do better for this company than any other employee?
c. Why is an MBA necessary and how will Haas specifically help you succeed at this company?

Optional Essays

Optional Essay #1: Please feel free to provide a statement concerning any information you would like to add to your application that you haven't addressed elsewhere. (4000 Characters)

Optional FOR REAPPLICANTS ONLY: Please submit a statement outlining how you have improved your candidacy since your last application.(4000 Characters)

UCLA

Essay #1 Required: UCLA Anderson is distinguished by three defining principles: Share Success, Think Fearlessly, Drive Change. What principles have defined your life and pre-MBA career? How do you believe that Anderson’s principles, and the environment they create, will help you attain your post-MBA career goals? (4,000 characters)

UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

Essay #1 (Required): What are you most proud of professionally and why? What did you learn from that experience? (400 words)

Essay #2 (Required): In your first core Consortium essay, you describe your short and long term goals post-MBA and you note how your professional experience shaped these goals and influenced your decision to pursue an MBA degree. To add to that information, as you have researched MBA programs, what actions have you taken to learn more about Ross and what has led you to believe that Ross is the right MBA program for you? (Maximum 150 words)

Essay #3 (Required): What are you most proud of personally and why? How does it shape who you are today? (400 words)

UNC

Essay #1 (Optional): What personal qualities or life experiences distinguish you from other applicants? How do these qualities or experiences equip you to contribute to UNC Kenan-Flagler? (500 words max)

Essay #2 (Optional): If you have not had coursework in core business subjects (calculus, microeconomics, statistics, financial accounting) or if your standardized test scores are low, please tell us how you plan to prepare yourself for the quantitative rigor of the MBA curriculum. (300 words max)

UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER

Essay #1 (Required): Discuss your specific interest in completing the MBA program at the Simon School. What aspects of the Rochester MBA program make it a good fit for your studies and how do you anticipate contributing to the business school community? (250-500 word limit)

Essay #2 (Required): In 25 words or less, provide us with a fun and interesting fact about yourself (25 word limit)

Essay #3 (Optional): Share any information that you think is important in the evaluation of your application, including any concerns you think the Admissions Committee may have regarding your application. Discuss any unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic or exam results, etc. (500 word limit)

USC

Main Essay (Required): What skills are you seeking to develop or improve upon in business school in order to reach your personal and/or professional goals post-graduation? How will USC Marshall enable you to develop or improve these skills? (750 words or less)

Optional Essay: Please provide any additional information that you believe is important and/or will address any areas of concern that will be beneficial to the Admissions Committee in considering your application. (750 words or less)

Re-application Essay (re-applicants only): Please describe any significant professional, personal, or academic growth since your last application to the USC Marshall School of Business. Discuss your specific professional goals and how the USC Marshall EMBA (insert program name) Program will help you achieve these goals. (750 words or less)

UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN

Essay #1 (Required): Imagine that you are at the Texas MBA Orientation for the Class of 2017. Please introduce yourself to your new classmates, and include information you feel relevant to both your personal and professional life. Select only one communication method that you would like to use for your response.
    a. Write an essay (250 words)
    b. Share a video introduction (one minute)
    c. Share your about.me profile

Essay #2 (Required): In the Texas MBA program, we promote a diverse and collaborative community by providing opportunities for growth in an academically rigorous environment. Please discuss why McCombs is the right program for you, what you hope to gain from your time in the Texas MBA Program both personally and professionally, and how you will contribute to your classmates’ experiences. (500 words)

Optional Essay: Please provide any additional information that you believe is important and/or will address any areas of concern that will be beneficial to the Admissions Committee in considering your application. (250 words)
    a. For example, if your standardized test scores are not exactly what you would like them to be or if you have not had coursework in core business subjects (i.e. calculus, microeconomics, statistics, financial accounting, or finance), please tell us how you plan to prepare yourself for the quantitative rigor of the MBA curriculum. If relevant to your circumstances, please also discuss any other factors that you think may impact your candidacy (i.e. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance, or any significant weaknesses in your application or extenuating personal circumstances).

UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA

Essay #1 (Required): Describe the most courageous professional decision you have made or most courageous action you have taken at work. What did you learn from that experience? (500 words)

WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY OF ST LOUIS

Essay #1 (Required): Please describe why you view the Olin Business School as a good fit for you. (4,000 characters)

UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MADISON

All candidates are required to complete the essay below. Candidates also have the option to submit a 2nd optional essay.

Essay #1 (Required): Explain why you are interested in pursuing your MBA at this point in your life. Specifically, explain how your chosen career specialization aligns with your short-term and long-term career goals.

Optional Essay: If you wish, you may include an additional essay on a topic of your choice. This optional essay is typically used to cover any issues you may want to address to the admissions committee that are not already covered in your application. Examples include a low undergraduate GPA, gaps in education or employment history, or explanations of your choice in recommenders. This optional essay is not required.

YALE

Essay Instructions: Please answer the essay question below within the specified word limit. Your essay must be entirely your own work. Although you may ask others for general feedback on your essay, you may not allow anyone else to edit it for you.

Essay #1 (Required): The Yale School of Management educates individuals who will have deep and lasting impact on the organizations they lead. Describe how you have positively influenced an organization as an employee, a member, or an outside constituent. (500 words maximum)

Optional Information: If any aspect of your candidacy needs further explanation (unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance, promotions or recognitions, etc.) please provide a brief description here. (250 words maximum)

Last edited by bml1105 on 26 Aug 2014, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
Help make our application statistics as accurate as possible!

When adding Consortium schools to your profile, follow these steps:
    (1) Click My Profile above this thread
    (2) Click on the Applicant Profile tab then click Schools in the list on the left
    (3) Under Application History, you can click Add School
    (4) For School select Consortium
    (5) For Program select the first school you are applying to through the Consortium
    (6) Fill in the remaining information and click Save. Repeat for all other schools you are applying to through the Consortium

Let me know if you have any questions.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 09:37
This post received
KUDOS
I'm re-applying this year, got waitlisted at half of the schools I applied to last year. The math portion of my GMAT and my Undergrad GPA hinderd me. I built an alternative transcript this past spring and summer to combat the GPA and I'm taking the GMAT again in a month.

Just looking at the essays I noticed that some schools have cut a few from last year. Some schools actually have the same essay prompts though.

I look forward to interacting with everyone on this journey to B-School. Good luck!
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 10:44
Thanks Marcg! Hopefully you'll be able to give us a little insight into the Consortium process. Good luck!
Chat Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 600 Q V
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 16

Premium Member
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 17:11
Hi Everyone,

I didn't realize I posted this on an older thread....

Does applying in R1 vs R2 have any bearing on my acceptance into the school and the fellowship?

Do I have a better chance of acceptance in R1?

I took a look at the Tuck deadline for R2 and it looks like it lines up with Tuck's equivalent of R3. (Tuck has 4 rounds).

Sorry if this has been asked already, I tried to use the search function but didn't come up with anything concrete.

XG

Heads down, stay focused, ignore the noise

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 05:59
This post received
KUDOS
Xgineer wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I didn't realize I posted this on an older thread....

Does applying in R1 vs R2 have any bearing on my acceptance into the school and the fellowship?

Do I have a better chance of acceptance in R1?

I took a look at the Tuck deadline for R2 and it looks like it lines up with Tuck's equivalent of R3. (Tuck has 4 rounds).

Sorry if this has been asked already, I tried to use the search function but didn't come up with anything concrete.

XG

1. Applying Round 1 vs. Round 2 doesn't have any effect on your fellowship chances. Although starting last year if you applied Round 1 and you got accepted to the school that you ranked first, that school can now choose to offer you a fellowship right away and you wouldn't have to wait until the draft in March to get notified if you recieved the fellowship from them. Only your first ranked school was allowed to do this though.

2. Just like applying to any school outside of the Consortium, you have a better chance of acceptance if you apply during the first round because all of the seats for that class are available. As you know, Consortium Round 1 basically coincides with Round 1 of each school if you didn't apply to them through the Consortium.

You have to make sure your application is the best that it can be though. There's no use in applying Round 1 if your application doesn't fully represent the candidate that you are. It's better to apply Round 2 if your application reflects you 100% than to apply Round 1 with your application reflecting you 75%.

3. Applying Consortium Round 2 does put you in the pool of non Consortium candidates that are applying Round 2 or Round 3 to each respective school. You should also check each schools website that you plan on applying to to see how they handle Consortium applicants. A couple of schools actually wait and group Round 1 and Round 2 Consortium applications together and then they review them.

I hope this information helps you. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.35
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 06:54
I emailed an inquiry about the application availability date this weekend and just received a reply from the consortium. The application has no official launch date but it will be up by the end of August. It was indicated as long as you have set up and interest account you will receive notification when the application goes live.

Posted from my mobile device Image

If you can't be first, be ahead of who's second.

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 06:59
Thanks LazyBoy! It would be nice if they confirmed that the essays online will be the official essays and not subject to change. I've never been so anxious to get started writing.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 570 Q V0
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GPA: 3.25
WE: Analyst (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 15:26
Glad I found this thread!

Last edited by OnePlusOne on 12 Oct 2014, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 17:47
Hi - I'm not familiar with the Consortium and its affiliation with MBA programs.

I'm 34, with a 740 GMAT, 3.35 GPA in electrical engineering from a very well regarded engineering program. I also have a law degree from a highly ranked law school and I've been practicing law for about 7 years, first in a firm and then in a corporate department. I've set my sights pretty high: HBS, Sloan, Tuck, Ross, Wharton and Booth. The essays and coordinating recommends have my head spinning. Should I use the Consortium? Is it a channel that provides a benefit for URM applicants over the typical application process?

Appreciate the insight.
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 153

Kudos [?]: 1011 [0], given: 937

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 20:46
Expert's post
Dear Consortium Applicants,

We have updated the first post with links of previous consortium applicants discussions. We hope these discussions will help you all in developing best strategies for your applications.

NOTE that process of adding consortium programs to your GMATClub profile is different from that of adding regular programs. Refer Consortium ThreadMaster's this post to learn how to add Consortium programs to your profile.

Regards,
Narenn

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2014, 08:58
Hokie2MBA wrote:
Hi - I'm not familiar with the Consortium and its affiliation with MBA programs.

I'm 34, with a 740 GMAT, 3.35 GPA in electrical engineering from a very well regarded engineering program. I also have a law degree from a highly ranked law school and I've been practicing law for about 7 years, first in a firm and then in a corporate department. I've set my sights pretty high: HBS, Sloan, Tuck, Ross, Wharton and Booth. The essays and coordinating recommends have my head spinning. Should I use the Consortium? Is it a channel that provides a benefit for URM applicants over the typical application process?

Appreciate the insight.

It does provide a benefit for anyone (US citizen regardless of race) that is dedicated to the proliferation of URMs in business school and management. It enables a streamlined application process for a much lower cost than applying to individual schools. There is a common application that can be used for up to six schools on the consortium list. Visit the cgsm.org website for more information. It is a great opportunity to develop a network of people focused on a common goal. I hope that helps. I don't think that your sights are out of reach by any means. I think the choice of schools listed is right on par with your GMAT score and your indicated profile. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors I intend to be pretty active on this site throughout the process.

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2014, 19:17
Just got the email. The Consortium application has gone live. Let's get this party started. Good luck to all. Peace.

Posted from my mobile device Image

BSchool Forum Moderator

Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2014, 21:55
Finally!!

All the essays are posted in the second post
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2014, 07:32
Thankfully they carried over information from last year's application form into the new one (providing you sign in with the same email). I had started the entire process but never went through with it last year. That makes life a little easier. Starbucks day of pulling together my brainstorms into concrete essays.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2014, 06:55
This post received
KUDOS
Anyone else apply and get accepted to Michigan's "UpClose" event? I got my email this morning.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2014, 10:19
I was interested to know how recent that Consortium data is. I know it can't be as of last year's cycle because I have seen it on older threads. I wonder if there is data available for last year's app cycle. I know they offered 380 fellowships. I wonder how many applied GMAT range GPAs and other stats. BML do you have any idea if the newer info is available?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2014, 10:45
LazyBoy8 wrote:
I was interested to know how recent that Consortium data is. I know it can't be as of last year's cycle because I have seen it on older threads. I wonder if there is data available for last year's app cycle. I know they offered 380 fellowships. I wonder how many applied GMAT range GPAs and other stats. BML do you have any idea if the newer info is available?

I can only find the 2013 annual report. I don't think the 2014 has been released yet
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2014, 12:14
Excited to be part of this group, I am planning to apply this year too! :) I am hoping we can use each other as resources
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2014, 12:14