Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Posts: 349
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 1039 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 07:36
Good luck guys! I hope you get the much coveted invites this week.
_________________

Chinese Democracy is misunderstood...at your nearest BestBuy.

Best AWA guide here: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Manager
Manager
Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 148
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 15:11
chineseburned wrote:
Good luck guys! I hope you get the much coveted invites this week.


Thanks chineseburned. I sure hope so too. If I get one, I'll jump up and down and scream out loud.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 131
Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 08:02
OK, now I'm officially nervous. Kryzak, are interviews still going out? Seems awfully late...
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 34
Location: Washington, DC
Schools: Haas Harvard Sloan Yale
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 08:41
Okay, so if R2 people submitted Dec 9 and waited 10 weeks to get the first invites on Feb 24, does that mean us poor R3'uns won't hear anything back until April 9?!

Mannnnn...
Current Student
Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 08:54
lasttotheparty wrote:
Okay, so if R2 people submitted Dec 9 and waited 10 weeks to get the first invites on Feb 24, does that mean us poor R3'uns won't hear anything back until April 9?!

Mannnnn...


I suspect we'll hear some news after SS for R2, which I think is 3/7. The Director of Admissions mentioned that they were targetting early March to begin releasing R3 interview invites.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 148
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 19:00
chineseburned wrote:
Good luck guys! I hope you get the much coveted invites this week.


I don't think it's going to happen for R2 anymore. It's only 3 days until SS. Unless the invites are gonna be for off campus interview, it's too short of notice to arrange flight and housing for the interview. I'm pretty heart broken. Haas is my top choice and getting denied of interview is humbling.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 19:33
ok, so based on what I know, interviews are still going out for R2. But I'm guessing for SS it's too late (unless the people are local, so you never know). After SS, historically there have been interview invites going out for alum or on-campus (if you live near Berkeley) interviews. Yeah, I know this isn't the good news you want to hear, but I guess it's some hope, right?

I'm still rooting for all of you!
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 23:21
On the even of Super Saturday, here's what I have. Speak up if you're coming to SS on Saturday.

R2 - 12/9/2008 - 14 applicants, 4 SS interviews
Hardestadt - Invited for SS interview!
Llest - Invited for SS interview!
hmmnyc - Invited for SS interview!
BigBad - Invited for SS interview!
YihWei - Submitted 12/9
liubhs02 - 11/30
sng - 12/9
rjacobs - 12/7
kruton - 12/9
vijapp - 12/7
smokedpotatoes - 12/7
RJ - 12/8
energystar - 12/9
bennymoto - ?
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager
Joined: 09 Nov 2008
Posts: 148
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 02:40
Good luck on the interviews for all those SS invites. Let us know how it goes.
Current Student
Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 108
Location: Barcelona
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 09:51
Hi, do you know whether Berkeley admission officers call to the admitted students? if so, when do they start?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 141
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 10:45
liubhs02 wrote:
chineseburned wrote:
Good luck guys! I hope you get the much coveted invites this week.


I don't think it's going to happen for R2 anymore. It's only 3 days until SS. Unless the invites are gonna be for off campus interview, it's too short of notice to arrange flight and housing for the interview. I'm pretty heart broken. Haas is my top choice and getting denied of interview is humbling.



So I guess I should assume that I've been dinged? I haven't heard a peep from Haas :cry:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 11:25
calls went out a day or so before the deadline last year.

all hope is not lost yet. A couple of my classmates got interview invites after SS and got in. Also, you may get waitlisted and interview between now and R3 deadlines.

Hope that helps!
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 34
Location: Washington, DC
Schools: Haas Harvard Sloan Yale
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 17:17
So... How was it? Any great stories to share?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 18:38
well, I met Hardestadt and hmmnyc and they were both pretty cool guys. Would love to hear what they (and llest and BigBad) thought of the event. :)
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Posts: 20
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 20:51
I attended the Super Saturday and was very impressed with the amount of attention we received. Everything, from the check-in and registration to student panels was superbly organized. It should be noted that almost every activity was student-run, so big kudos to all the current students who participated in the event and especially to GMATClub's own Kryzak. He was instrumental in organizing the Super Saturday and was as helpful in the field as he was on this forum. :good

The sunny Saturday started with a swift registration during which each of the 88 applicants received a sticker badge with his or her name on it, a printed agenda and a candidate roster which listed current employers and undergrad institutions, and included the names of interviewers and cohorts we were assigned to (more about it later). I won't disclose personal information, suffice is to say that I was impressed by the quality of the candidate pool. It was somewhat skewed towards consulting (Deloitte had a strong presence) and tech with an occasional banker or a FMCG specialist in the mix.

We had about 15 minutes to talk to each other and then Peter Johnson (Director of Admissions) and Stephanie Fujii (Associate Director) took the floor to welcome us to the Super Saturday. In his brief speech Peter Johnson clarified the agenda for the day, introduced the students who were organizing the event and congratulated us for successfully passing the first stage of the selection process. He shared some interesting statistics, and even though I didn’t write them down (doh), I can give you a ballpark figure. Apparently this year is extremely competitive and as of now Haas has more than 3800 applications. Considering that there is one more round to go the total number for the year may exceed 4200. Unless I am mistaken he mentioned that in the R2 the adcom extended interview invitations to app. 18% of the applicants.

The introduction was followed by lunch with current students, which presented one of the many opportunities to ask questions about the program. I won’t go into much detail, but let me just say that many students underscored the collaborative and non-competitive nature of the program, praised the opportunities for demonstrating initiative (most of the activities are student-led) and the strength of the alumni network. In their view the biggest challenge apart from the intensity of the core curriculum was the need to carefully prioritize activities, since with so many things happening it is very easy to stretch oneself too thin. In this regard living close to campus, especially in the first year, is particularly important or else you risk to miss all the fun events. I was told that getting popular courses was relatively easy (with a few rare exceptions).

After the lunch each cohort followed its own schedule. Students at Haas are placed into one of the four cohorts (Oski, Blue, Axe and Gold - think Hogwarts houses), and by dividing the applicants into four groups the organizers gave us a taste of a friendly rivalry which is a part of the Haas experience. I was fortunate to be part of the Oski cohort (Go bears!) which was first to be interviewed thus becoming anxiety-free for the rest of the day. The interview lasted one hour and was very informal and conversational. My interviewer asked me to walk him thru my resume, sometimes requesting additional information. He also enquired about my experience as a team-member (both positive and negative) and asked a few questions about my interests. I got the impression that cultural fit was very important, which is probably not surprising considering the size of the school. I had about fifteen minutes for my own questions. My overall impression was very positive (I certainly hope that the interviewer felt likewise. :roll:

The interview was followed by a career panel, a school tour (the facilities are modern and quite impressive) and a student panel. The members of the career panel admitted that recruiting was difficult in the current environment but reassured everyone that Haas education and brand would help us weather the storm. I took it cum grano salis – it would be naïve to expect anything less optimistic from a Super Saturday. ;)

Overall, my impression was overwhelmingly positive. Every single student I talked to seemed to genuinely love his or her experience and was a true champion for the school (especially Kryzak, but you already know it 8-) ). Of course there is a possibility that all the disgruntled students were under lock and key for the weekend, but I think that’s highly unlikely :) I am sure that MBA Haas is a great investment and look forward to hearing from the adcom. Feel free to ask additional questions.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Posts: 30
Location: Bangkok
Schools: ROSS(Accepted) CBS-J
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 04:46
Does Haas start calling R3 applicants to interview

Best of wishes
_________________

Fight Force For Future

Current Student
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 11
Location: nyc
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 06:05
Hardestadt wrote:
I attended the Super Saturday and was very impressed with the amount of attention we received. Everything, from the check-in and registration to student panels was superbly organized. It should be noted that almost every activity was student-run, so big kudos to all the current students who participated in the event and especially to GMATClub's own Kryzak. He was instrumental in organizing the Super Saturday and was as helpful in the field as he was on this forum. :good

The sunny Saturday started with a swift registration during which each of the 88 applicants received a sticker badge with his or her name on it, a printed agenda and a candidate roster which listed current employers and undergrad institutions, and included the names of interviewers and cohorts we were assigned to (more about it later). I won't disclose personal information, suffice is to say that I was impressed by the quality of the candidate pool. It was somewhat skewed towards consulting (Deloitte had a strong presence) and tech with an occasional banker or a FMCG specialist in the mix.

We had about 15 minutes to talk to each other and then Peter Johnson (Director of Admissions) and Stephanie Fujii (Associate Director) took the floor to welcome us to the Super Saturday. In his brief speech Peter Johnson clarified the agenda for the day, introduced the students who were organizing the event and congratulated us for successfully passing the first stage of the selection process. He shared some interesting statistics, and even though I didn’t write them down (doh), I can give you a ballpark figure. Apparently this year is extremely competitive and as of now Haas has more than 3800 applications. Considering that there is one more round to go the total number for the year may exceed 4200. Unless I am mistaken he mentioned that in the R2 the adcom extended interview invitations to app. 18% of the applicants.

The introduction was followed by lunch with current students, which presented one of the many opportunities to ask questions about the program. I won’t go into much detail, but let me just say that many students underscored the collaborative and non-competitive nature of the program, praised the opportunities for demonstrating initiative (most of the activities are student-led) and the strength of the alumni network. In their view the biggest challenge apart from the intensity of the core curriculum was the need to carefully prioritize activities, since with so many things happening it is very easy to stretch oneself too thin. In this regard living close to campus, especially in the first year, is particularly important or else you risk to miss all the fun events. I was told that getting popular courses was relatively easy (with a few rare exceptions).

After the lunch each cohort followed its own schedule. Students at Haas are placed into one of the four cohorts (Oski, Blue, Axe and Gold - think Hogwarts houses), and by dividing the applicants into four groups the organizers gave us a taste of a friendly rivalry which is a part of the Haas experience. I was fortunate to be part of the Oski cohort (Go bears!) which was first to be interviewed thus becoming anxiety-free for the rest of the day. The interview lasted one hour and was very informal and conversational. My interviewer asked me to walk him thru my resume, sometimes requesting additional information. He also enquired about my experience as a team-member (both positive and negative) and asked a few questions about my interests. I got the impression that cultural fit was very important, which is probably not surprising considering the size of the school. I had about fifteen minutes for my own questions. My overall impression was very positive (I certainly hope that the interviewer felt likewise. :roll:

The interview was followed by a career panel, a school tour (the facilities are modern and quite impressive) and a student panel. The members of the career panel admitted that recruiting was difficult in the current environment but reassured everyone that Haas education and brand would help us weather the storm. I took it cum grano salis – it would be naïve to expect anything less optimistic from a Super Saturday. ;)

Overall, my impression was overwhelmingly positive. Every single student I talked to seemed to genuinely love his or her experience and was a true champion for the school (especially Kryzak, but you already know it 8-) ). Of course there is a possibility that all the disgruntled students were under lock and key for the weekend, but I think that’s highly unlikely :) I am sure that MBA Haas is a great investment and look forward to hearing from the adcom. Feel free to ask additional questions.


Yep, Haas put on a good show. Although it was a long day (~6 hours), enthusiastic Haas representatives, including admissions, student ambassadors, 1st years, 2nd years and even alumni, kept our blood flowing throughout. It would be a bummer to not get accepted after attending the event...

I'll add to some of the points that Hardestadt mentioned -

Fellow applicants - interesting bunch. easily the most diverse group that I have encountered at a school visit. for the most part, people seemed down to earth and were able to engage in friendly conversation.

Haas applications - I believe that Peter Johnson stated that in addition to the 88 Super Saturday attendees, approximately 120 others have been extended interviews for Rnd 2 thus far

Interview - mine was a standard, by-the-book MBA admissions interview. more rapid fire questioning than casual conversation. I plan to switch careers and received questions about my intended industry. overall, harmless...i think.

Anyway, good luck to everyone applying.
Current Student
Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 108
Location: Barcelona
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 09:13
kryzak wrote:
well, I met Hardestadt and hmmnyc and they were both pretty cool guys. Would love to hear what they (and llest and BigBad) thought of the event. :)


I did an Off-Campus interview with an Alumni as I am from europe. I hope I will be admitted!! Right now Berkeley is my first option.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 34
Location: Washington, DC
Schools: Haas Harvard Sloan Yale
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 11:05
To Hardestadt and hmmnyc:

Thanks for the detailed run-down of the events! Great to hear that Haas really delivers on its community- and student-focused brand... Would you say that Haas was trying to impress the candidates as much as they were trying to impress Haas? Did any clubs catch your eye that you wouldn't have expected before SS?




And to all the other R3 applicants:

Good luck! :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 23:33
Starting a R3 applicant list, usually this is very small.

Haas R3 Applicants:

puipui
lasttotheparty
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2009, 23:33
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Popular new posts 10 Calling Berkeley-Haas Fall 2008 Applicants! kryzak 764 14 Jul 2007, 11:38
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New Calling all Berkeley Haas EWMBA 2009 applicants! suntaurian 5 30 Mar 2009, 11:50
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 43 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants kryzak 1236 13 May 2009, 00:23
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 82 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants Av 1830 09 May 2010, 16:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32    Next  [ 633 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.