Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 10:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I'm in for R1 guys. The deadlines got posted today:

Fall 2009 Application Deadline & Decision Schedule

Round: Online Application submitted by:
One November 4, 2008
Two December 9, 2008
Three January 30, 2009
Four March 11, 2009

Editing agold's post to have the application summaries here (kryzak):

2009 Haas Total Stats: (as of 4/13/2009)

R1 - 11/4/2008 - 38 FT (not including withdrawn apps), 12 Interviews, 4 Matriculating, 11 admits! (23.6%), 5 W/L (I hope to see at least 40% of you get off it), 9 Dinged, 13 Unknown, 1 withdrew.

R2 - 15 FT (not including withdrawn apps), 3 Interviews (20%), 0 Matriculating, 2 admits! (13.3%), 4 W/L, 8 Dinged, 2 Unknown, 2 withdrew.

R3 - 7 FT, 1 Interview

R1 - 11/4/2008 - 38 FT (not including withdrawn apps), 12 Interviews, 4 Matriculating, 11 admits! (23.6%), 5 W/L (I hope to see at least 40% of you get off it), 9 Dinged, 13 Unknown, 1 withdrew.

IPOmeplease - Matriculating!
caligl - Matriculating!
bbdidge - Matriculating!
SolarMBA - Matriculating!
peaceyall - Admitted!!!, with SS interview
rosav - Admitted!!!, with off-campus interview
weezy25 - Admitted!!!, with SS interview
MBAngst - Admitted with full-tuition Haas Merit Scholarship!, with SS interview

hv210284 - Admitted!!!, with off-campus interview
austinapp - Admitted!!!
powpow - Admitted!!!
topa - Waitlisted
glettian - Waitlisted
IvyStallion - Waitlisted
wolffali - Waitlisted
Chickmagloor - Dinged with SS Interview
thedudeabides - Dinged
bostonsparky - Dinged
MBAAspirant2008 - Dinged
kcbear - Dinged
lsuguy7 - Dinged
monkbent - Dinged
apurohit - Dinged after W/L
niro - Dinged after W/L
mindruna - Invited to SS Interview (12/22)
trucker - submitted 11/3
prospect - Submitted 11/04
saberprivateer - submitted 11/4
Ntang - submitted
garun77 - submitted 11/1
burentosan - submitted 11/4
getmeoutofhere - 10/21
amatory - 11/4
Tarmac - 11/4
boOmasta - submitted 11/4
amatory - submitted 11/4
fwl200 - submitted 11/4
nink - submitted 10/25/08, withdrew 1/5/2009

R2 - 12/9/2008 - 15 FT (not including withdrawn apps), 3 Interviews (20%), 0 Matriculating, 2 admits! (13.3%), 4 W/L, 8 Dinged, 2 Unknown, 2 withdrew.
Hardestadt - Admitted with Merit Scholarship!!!, with SS interview
hmmnyc - Admitted!!!, with SS interview
sng - Waitlisted w/o interview
jjhko - Waitlisted w/o interview
m2009 - Waitlisted w/o interview
bennymoto - Waitlisted w/o interview
YihWei - Dinged
liubhs02 - Dinged
smokedpotatoes - Dinged
rjacobs - Dinged
Llest - Dinged with interview
kruton - Dinged
vijapp - Dinged
RJ - 12/8
energystar - 12/9
jlola21 - withdrawn
BigBad - withdrawn after interview invitation

R3 - 7 FT
dayman - invited to interview
puipui
lasttotheparty
jawbreaker
sajal09
hd54321
chitchat

2008 Haas Total Stats:
Applicants: 27 FT, 4 PT (not including BCC)
Admitted: 7 (FT) 1 (PT)
Waitlisted: 8
Dinged: 11
Unknown: 4
Withdrawn: 1
GMATClubbers Matriculating: 5 (FT), 1 (PT)

R1 = 16 FT, 2 PT, 8 Interviews, 5 Admits (31%!!), 3 W/L (most likely 1 more admitted), 7 Dings, 1 unknown, 1 withdrawn
2 PT Interviews (100%!!)
R2 = 10 FT, 1 PT, 2 Interviews, 1 Admits (10%), 4 W/L, 4 Ding, 1 Unknown
R3 = 2 FT, 1 W/L
R4 = 1 FT

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Berkeley (R1\WL), Kellogg (R2)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
Congrads!

Where is my invite?
I losing it :shock: !!!
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2009, 17:24
This post received
KUDOS
BigBad wrote:
MBAngst wrote:
I'm in! And with a full-tution merit scholarhip!! Got the call around 8:30 EST. I'm still in total shock. This is my first admit, and Haas was a top choce, so it will be a pretty easy decision for me. Best of luck to those of you still waiting to hear. I will be sending good thoughts your way!

This is awesome news!! Congrats! Would you mind sharing a bit of your profile?? What do you think made you a stand-out candidate? Inquiring R2 minds would love to know :-)

Congrats to all the other admits too! You guys will LOVE the bay area...

Thanks, BigBad! Here are my stats (at time of matriculation):

29M/US/750/3.8/7 WE in Nonprofit

But I have to believe it's much more than numbers that influences a decision like this. I can't read the mind of the adcom and tell you definitively what it was about my app that qualified me for the scholarship. But I suspect that, beyond general competitiveness and qualifications, it has something to do with that magic word "fit."

More than any other program I was considering, Haas really was just a total fit for me in all areas -- culture, career goals, values. I realized this very early on, and I think it came through very genuinely and naturally in my application and interview. I didn't have to fake it.

My best advice would be to research all of the programs you're considering enough to know which one is the best fit for you -- read what's on the website, attend the info sessions, visit campus, talk to current students, etc. I suspect that the "fit" factor, in combination with the more traditional stats and qualifications we focus on as applicants, has a lot to do with scholarship decisions.

I can't presume to know how the adcom at Haas or any other program makes these decisions, but if nothing else, I think that's good advice for ensuring that you end up at a program you'll be happy with. The truth is, I would have very likely ended up choosing Haas regardless of a scholarship offer, despite the fact that some of the other programs I was considering might be considered more "prestigious" or "reputable" by US News devotees, and I doubt that's just coincidence.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas R2

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 15:55
This post received
KUDOS
I just got an email at 1pm saying my R2 application is complete.

I was trying to get a sense of when things happen, so I made a timeline of last year's events. I just skimmed over the thread from last year, so it isn't complete yet.

GMATClub Haas Fall 2008 Timeline
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas R2

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 14:12
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats, SolarMBA!

I'm adding this all to the ->2009 application visualization<-.
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [2] , given: 14

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2009, 22:00
This post received
KUDOS
congrats hmmnyc! PM me if you want to meet up for Super Saturday.

As for the W/L questions, here are some facts that I know of:

1. R1 W/L people will be reconsidered after R2 decisions go out. In general, the adcom tries not to keep people waiting for more than one round. But of course, some candidates are right on the fence, which may cause them to have to wait until R3 or R4.

2. There will be W/L movement after 3/18, the date the adcom told W/L people to submit their additional information by.

3. There should be some movement after the R1 deposit deadline, but that's speculation on my part. There will definitely be movement for R2 W/L people after R3 decisions.

Hope that helps calm some nerves! Stop speculation and relax! :P (I know it's difficult though...)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 336 [1] , given: 14

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 14:37
This post received
KUDOS
Hey soni,

well, the UG GPA is a problem (see the thread discussing low GPAs), but your grad GPA is impressive (even though grad GPAs are generally more lenient) and your GMAT is even more impressive.

With 6 years of WE, your undergrad GPA will not be as big of a deal, especially with your Grad GPA and GMAT scores. Of course, it will bring down Haas' average, but if you tell your story well and show a lot of leadership/enthusiasm/care for the community, then they may be willing to admit you (and your GMAT score will raise their avg GMAT). :)

I think you have a decent shot if you play your cards well. Remember, GPA is only one part of the application, and you will really need to cover up that weakness with strengths all around.

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 34

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 00:07
This post received
KUDOS
Copied over from the Haas ambassador thread:

I made my way across the bridge this morning to visit Haas. It was definitely a day well spent.

9-11AM: Class visit. I sat in on an Intro to Finance core course. I don't have a business background so it was great for me to see what's in store if/when I embark on my MBA. It was finance, so nothing too exciting, but the class was very diverse and the professor was very good about answering questions and facilitating discussion.

11AM-Noon: I met THE kryzak live and in the flesh! He was kind enough to chat with me about Haas and his experiences during his MBA application process.

Noon-1PM: Lunch with students. We split up into 5-6 person groups and had lunch with a current student. Lunch was a good opportunity to chat with a current student over a meal and to get to know some of the other visiting prospectives.

1-2PM: Information session. Two student ambassadors gave a presentation and overview on the Haas program. The talk was very conversational and they stayed late to answer questions. The dean of admissions even stopped by towards the end of the hour.

Even though all the activities that I participated in were very typical of your average school visit, I left very impressed with Haas. There's just something about the program (in a very good way) that I can't quite put my finger on. I think it has to do with the combination of many factors that shape the culture at Haas: small class size, location, quality of students, the program's strategic plan (leading through innovation), etc. One phrase I heard repeatedly was, "confidence and competence without arrogance", and I definitely got that vibe from all the students that I met.

If you are interested in a Haas MBA, I strongly suggest you make a visit. You won't regret it!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 23:31
This post received
KUDOS
glettian wrote:
I'm pretty much set w/ my essays but am really struggling to come up with something for short essay #1 about what my biggest regret is. Anyone care to share what they wrote?

Hi glettian,

I am currently applying R1, and so far I am working on 2 ideas for this--one personal, one more professional. The personal one is not really getting to know my grandfather before he died when I was in college. He was my only living grandparent but he was very shy and I didn't really take the opportunity to know him better. The professional one is that before the last summer of college, I received two amazing internship opportunities. One was an international fellowship in an area I was passionate about (poverty alleviation with the World Bank) but did not pay much beyond basic living expenses, and the second was an investment banking internship which would obviously cover my expenses and part of the following year's tuition. My parents were going through some tough challenges financially, so I chose the banking internship to help ease their strain. I see the decision kind of as a regret because although it was driven partly out of necessity, I should have explored other options for funding (loans, etc.) instead of taking the "easy way out". Right now I am kind of leaning toward the second one because I think it fits in better with my overall "story". I hope this helps and good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2008, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
kryzak wrote:
Just an update, you guys will probably get some "winter break coffee chat invites" in the next week or two from the admissions office. This is NOT an interview invite, but a way for you to connect with some current students and alums who are in your area (this will happen all around the world, depending on where the students are during winter break). They'll all happen between 12/20-1/9 and I will be hosting a couple in the SF Bay Area with my classmates, so if any of you are in the area, would love to meet with you then!

Cheers!
K.

Good to hear. Hopefully there will be some on the east coast!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2008, 13:52
This post received
KUDOS
kryzak wrote:
Just an update, you guys will probably get some "winter break coffee chat invites" in the next week or two from the admissions office. This is NOT an interview invite, but a way for you to connect with some current students and alums who are in your area (this will happen all around the world, depending on where the students are during winter break). They'll all happen between 12/20-1/9 and I will be hosting a couple in the SF Bay Area with my classmates, so if any of you are in the area, would love to meet with you then!

Cheers!
K.

Are these informal chats precursor to formal interview later? What is the purpose of these chat invites?

thanks
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 170 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 20:03
This post received
KUDOS
there's a berkeley mba admissions blog. so far, there is 1 post this year. the rest are from 2007. don't get fooled like me. http://theberkeleymba.blogspot.com/

http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by peaceyall on 04 Dec 2008, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2008, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
Also keeping my cool 8-) while waiting to get the interview.
Good luck everybody.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2008, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
Joining the gang :lol:

Haas/Berkeley Applicants Status - 12/7/2008

R1 - 11/4/2008
trucker - submitted 11/3
caligl - Submitted 11/4
bostonsparky - Submitted 10/30
peaceyall - Submitted 11/4
prospect - Submitted 11/04
saberprivateer - submitted 11/4
Ntang - submitted
kcbear - submitted
garun77 - submitted 11/1
lsuguy7 - submitted 10/27
burentosan - submitted 11/4
getmeoutofhere - 10/21
monkbent - 11/4
amatory - 11/4
wolffali - 11/4
Tarmac - 11/4
IvyStallion - 11/4
boOmasta - submitted 11/4
amatory - submitted 11/4
rosav - submitted 11/3
ninkorn - submitted 10/25/08
niro - submitted 11/4

R2 - 12/9/2008
jlola21
YihWei
liubhs02 - 11/30
sng
rjacobs - 12/7
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 07:10
This post received
KUDOS
peaceyall wrote:
i know we're not supposed to be worrying about getting an interview invite - but kruton's timeline (however representative it is of the entire applicant pool) makes it seem odd that only 2 invites have gone out thus far. i even wandered over to the bw forums (*gasp*) and there's been quite a few invites extended to ss there. i'm hoping there's a flurry of them in the next few days! it's soo hard to wait and not lose hope and start to question the strength of my essays as i'm writing the rest of r2s.

good luck to all and hoping you're more at ease than i am. :knight

I feel you. When internationals at BW forums are getting invites, it is hard not to wonder whether you are telling are right story.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 13:38
This post received
KUDOS
sng wrote:
I attended New York City coffee chat last night. It was great. The speaker did a great job answering about thirty people. I was surprised by the number of people who showed up despite the cold weather. She mentioned about many costume parties at Haas. How interesting... kryzak, what's your costume?

Happy Holidays everyone!

Haha, glad you enjoyed it! The SF event also had 25-30 people show up, and we were able to get 4 students to talk to the applicants. It was a VERY FUN event and I highly encourage everyone who can go to one!

As for costume parties, haha, yeah, we were joking that there needs to be a student budget line for "costumes" in our financial aid application. I unfortunately missed Halloween, but we did have a cool party where you're supposed to wear clothing of one single color. That was a fun time. Remember, Goodwill/Salvation Army will be your friends in b-school. :P

Congrats Chick! Happy Holidays to all and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions about SS. Post the questions here if you believe my answers will help other applicants, or PM me if your question is of a more private/personal nature.

Cheers!

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 00:48
This post received
KUDOS
kryzak wrote:
fwl200 wrote:
Berkeley is strange.

Seriously. I cannot think of another school that makes its round 1 applicants wait so long to find out if they are even eligible for interviews.

I submitted a round 1 app to Michigan Ross on 10/10/08 and got a final decision today. Berkeley, on the other hand, nothing. Just strange

Let's see:

Michigan: 10/10 deadline, 1/13 notification, roughly 3 months.

Berkeley: 11/4 deadline, 1/28 notification, slightly less than 3 months. Me thinks I would pick Berkeley if I had to choose one to wait for. :wink:

But in all seriousness, Berkeley gets their decisions out within 10 days after the interviews, sometimes shorter, which is why their interviews are so late. The admissions committee takes their time reading through all the applications (by multiple adcoms) before they make the interview decision. It's a different process, and probably different amount of adcom members (not sure how many Michigan has).

So again, please be patient. All will be revealed in the next 2 weeks. :)

Good points Kryzak. I think the most frustrating point is that some invitations went out at the beginning of December, and supposedly others will go out the day of the deadline. That's 6 weeks of interviews dribbling out one-by-one. It's pure water torture. Every night I go to bed hoping I'll wake up to an email, and I never do. Of course disappointment is a part of the process (and I've priced in a Haas rejection :cry: ), but does it really need to last for six weeks?

http://bent.tw

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 23:23
This post received
KUDOS
Alright, that was a crazy Super Saturday today! I have to head out to another officer retreat tomorrow at 6am, so I'll keep this short.

It was AWESOME to meet many of you today (weezy25, chickmagloor, and peaceyall). Were any other SS invites there? If so, PM me.

wolffali - Invited to SS Interview (12/8)
mindruna - Invited to SS Interview (12/22)
MBAngst - Invited to SS Interview (12/10)
SolarMBA - Invited to SS Interview (12/17)

I had so much fun chatting with many of you and wish all of you the best of luck in this competitive season! Let's knock 'em dead and get tons of GC admits on the 28th!!!

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business '11

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2009, 03:50
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in as well :-D I got my call at around 1030 west coast time. Definitely my top choice and a relief to be done with this whole process. I guess you can add me to the roll call, I've been lurking for quite a while...
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 23:35
This post received
KUDOS
i believe interviews for R2 come out near the end of Feb. Stay tuned :)

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2009, 23:35