Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia Wharton Booth
WE 1: 5.5 Engineering
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 18:50
This post received
KUDOS
Dont jut give up hope guys....you will be just fine....

Try Wrestler by Bruce Springsteen......you will be just fine.......
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in R1. Interviewed SS, but my status still says "Invited to Interview," which maybe means they are still waiting on my report? :? fwiw, 3.7/760.

Good luck everybody.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
hankpunk wrote:
yeah, last year, they called everyone on the 27th and send notices on the 28 in the morning. It feels like they called everyone yesterday and dings/wl are today. I mean, if they interviewed 230 people from R1, and half get in, how long does it take to make 115 phone calls?

Longer than you think, since not everyone is next to their phone, and often times they have to make multiple calls (I've heard some admits they tried 4-5 times before they reached them). Then throw in 5-10 minutes of chatter, and other paperwork (like sending out an admit package), it does take a while.

Funny how you all found the "Battle Royale 2". I should read it to see how accurate it is 2 years later. :wink:

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 09:42
This post received
KUDOS
kryzak wrote:
craggy wrote:
One of my recomnenders might miss the 2nd Feb deadline by a week. Would I still be considered for the round?
Anybody had such experience

Edited in light of zippy10's findings (a few messages below). I still wouldn't miss it by a WEEK though. :)

This is taken directly from the Haas Admissions Message Board:

Hello,
As long as you submit your application by the deadline date, it is acceptable for your recommender to submit the Letter of Recommendation a few days after the application deadline.

Best,
The Berkeley MBA Admissions Team

Hope that helps.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 21:47
This post received
KUDOS
DuckPond wrote:
Any advice for a cheap hotel near campus/public transportation?

Hotel Durant
Bancroft Hotel

those two you can walk to campus.

Some people stay in the Mariott in Emeryville, but it's hard to get there without a car.

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
stopper5 wrote:
After a couple of letters, I found one that made my jaw drop. I received a Merit Scholarship :-D !!!!!!! There was no mention of this on the call - probably because I was told on the call that my file wasn't fully closed since I had forgotten to send my official transcripts to the school.

I encourage other R1 admits to look through the admit package just in case!

Kryzak question for you - I was almost about to send my application in for the Brian Maxwell fellowship. Would I still be able to do this even though I have a merit scholarship? I know I can only pick one, but I wanted to give it a shot. Thanks!

CONGRATS stopper5! Well, it depends on if you have a 50% or 100% merit scholarship. If it's 100%, then the Maxwell Fellowship will just be icing on the cake, where it's a different type of prestige that you can put on your resume if you're going for entrepreneurship (and sports). Your Merit Scholarship can then go to another admit later in the season if you get the Maxwell. Granted, you can probably still put both on your resume since you did "receive" the scholarship even though you declined it.

If it's a 50% merit scholarship, then the Maxwell is definitely worth a shot, since it's 100% scholarship.

So long story short, I'd apply for the Maxwell either way, and then decide depending on if you get that fellowship.

Does that answer your question?

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 06:07
This post received
KUDOS
gregarious wrote:
Does anyone know when the R2 Super Saturday event will be? Given the interview invites went out pretty randomly for R1, I'm thinking that's around when I should stop waiting for an invite.

March 6-7 is the date for R2 Super Saturday, however, last year at least one admit received an invitation after Super Saturday, so March 17 (R2 decision deadline) is really the date to be concerned about.

I can't post URLs to link you to the post, but go to hassstudentambassadors' blogspot and look up "super saturday 2 recap"
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hello Everyone ~

Our 2nd Super Saturday will take place on Saturday, March 6. Invitations for this event are currently going out, and will continue to go out up until a week or so before the event. In addition, R2 invitations to interview (whether at Super Saturday or with an alum, student or staff), are also currently going out, and will continue to go out up until the R2 decision deadline.

Go Bears!
Lauren
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 14:47
This post received
KUDOS
Just got an interview invite for Super Saturday! WOOOHOOOOO!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 17:27
This post received
KUDOS
In speaking with previous applicants and admissions members, Haas is notorious for random trickled interview invites.

Invites will go out in bulk the rest of this week and next week before the Super Saturday but invites will continue past that date as well and all the way up to 3/17.

Do not lose hope everyone! :) (I still haven't heard anything myself)

F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all,

extremely sorry it took this long to reply. I think something went wrong with the GMATClub notification emails, since I didn't get anything from this thread. Was just wondering why the Haas thread was so quiet today and decided to check it and found 3 pages of stuff! Here are my answers for those of you still wondering, and if Lauren has more to add (she probably had the same problem I did), please feel free.

charliebrown0718 wrote:
I just received an interview invite but it's not for Super Saturday - i.e. there was nothing specific about Super Saturday mentioned and when I went on the website, there was no availability for 3/6.

Should I still try to come up that weekend and interview the Friday/Monday? Or am I not allowed to participate in the activities?

Today is Super Saturday, unfortunately only invited candidates are allowed to attend as we have space limitations.

cheetahfish wrote:
I'm going to a Women in Leadership conference at Haas on 3/14. Should I wait to interview until after the conference (since it'll be a good talking point and refresher), or do it sooner? What's the conventional wisdom on this?

It really is up to you. But it looks like you already booked for 3/8, which is fine. There's no "right" or "wrong" way of doing it.

hockeyfan wrote:
Is there any correlation between strength of application and invite timing? People always say there isn't, but for every school Round 1, it seemed to be the case. Of course there are people who get interview invites on decision day. But it always seems to be the exception that late-anything is successful. Everything I've ever been able to get has happened immediately or not at all. So I guess it is difficult for me to be patient.

optiquetz answered it perfectly. It is RANDOM.

ounce wrote:
Does anyone know what percentage of the interviewed will be admitted? Just curious...

Pretty much what people said already, anywhere between 30-70%. But if you get an interview, you're definitely in good shape (compared to the 11% admit rate).

optiquetz wrote:
Thane cyrez. The only thing I don't know, and worry about, is I the notification deadline passes and you still have no interview OR decision. That's got to be a big bummer. Does anybody know if that is possible?

If you did NOT get an interview invite, you should have a decision (waitlist or deny) by the notification deadline. It will not (except for extremely rare circumstances) go beyond that. If you did get an interview, like someone said, you may get your accept/waitlist/deny decision after the notification deadline simply because your interviewer needs time to get the report into the adcom.

cyrez wrote:
I am curious if many Californian applicants were given interview invites to the Super Saturday on March 6th or if it was generally a day for non-local type applicants?

Some do (including myself 2 years ago), but most of it is for out of SF Bay Area people. The main goal is to have people visit Haas if they haven't had the chance to. But if there aren't enough outside Bay Area people attending, they open it up to locals, which is why many of you got invites to SS today.

boogs wrote:
What was the latest any R1 local applicants received an invite (for either SS or a non-SS interview)?

Not sure about this year, but in my class, one of the Haas Student Ambassadors got an interview invite in R1 the DAY BEFORE R1 notification deadline. She got her decision 1-2 days after the deadline.

Speaking of SS, I gotta go finish my prep for grilling candidates today. Woe be the one who gets to interview with me. :P (just kidding, I'm nice)

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 13:47
This post received
KUDOS
Question: I have applied to Rd 3 at Haas. I havent sent in my official score report yet. I can order one now or wait if I get invited to interview. When does Haas need this in the admissions process?

Answer: I would suggest that you submit your official GMAT score report as soon as possible (and before the Round 3 decision deadline). As I believe was mentioned, because this information can be sent electronically, it can be shared with the Haas Admissions Committee quickly.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 18:18
This post received
KUDOS
Got a call from Peter Johnson and got the haas merit scholarship. I'm so excited!!!!!
Good luck to everone. I'm sure a lot more people will hear the good news soon.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 20

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
I read through the earlier part of the thread when R1 applicants were getting their decisions. It looks like only the status online changes to let you know.

Honestly, I think the least they could do after a $200 application fee would be to tell us something like: "Thank you for your application. We appreciate your consideration of our school's MBA program for your future. Unfortunately, due to a high number of very qualified applicants and a limited number of spaces in the class, we cannot offer you a place in 2010 Haas full-time MBA class. Best of luck in all your other endeavors!" - sincerely, adcom.

A computer-generated automatic email along these lines would be just fine. There.

turtleturtle wrote:
Any ideas at what time they will update the application status online? And is that the only way to find out about a waitlist/ding, or will they also send an email?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
snowinTX wrote:
I read through the earlier part of the thread when R1 applicants were getting their decisions. It looks like only the status online changes to let you know.

Honestly, I think the least they could do after a $200 application fee would be to tell us something like: "Thank you for your application. We appreciate your consideration of our school's MBA program for your future. Unfortunately, due to a high number of very qualified applicants and a limited number of spaces in the class, we cannot offer you a place in 2010 Haas full-time MBA class. Best of luck in all your other endeavors!" - sincerely, adcom.

A computer-generated automatic email along these lines would be just fine. There.

turtleturtle wrote:
Any ideas at what time they will update the application status online? And is that the only way to find out about a waitlist/ding, or will they also send an email?

I agree. I don't expect a call but some sort of communication is the least they could do. Do they at least post a letter online like other schools? I notice they don't use the apply yourself system.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
chrishelt wrote:
Good call, SnowinTX.

I know it takes a lot of time/effort to review applications but considering that we each paid $200 I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for an e-mail and, for those of us that are dinged, some high-level feedback on how we might be able to improve our candidacy.

Not sure if this has changed this year, but last year their policy was that they only give feedback to those that have either interviewed or were waitlisted. Pretty frustrating if you don't fall into one of those buckets, and even if you do I'm not sure what level of feedback is offered.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hey fellow applicants,

I'm so proud of you all for giving it your best shot and applying to these schools. Although this is such a difficult and strenuous process and I have experienced every emotion on the spectrum from excitement to sadness, I think in the end I am very happy I went through this entire application season. There have been moments where I thought, "Okay I can do this ..I'm a qualified applicant ..I deserve this .." to moments where I have broken down, crying in the arms of my girlfriend as she consoles me and helps reconstruct my fragile self-confidence. I try everyday not to get swallowed into this endless cycle of checking forums, comparing myself to candidates, wondering if I measure up and watching as people jump to excitement when they get calls/good news and wondering...will that day come for me?

Well anyways, I'm nearing the end. All my results are almost in and out of 7 schools, I'm wait-listed at three, rejected from two, and waiting to hear from two. If its meant to be, it is meant to be. If not, life does and will go on. I'm actually happy that we all are motivated to apply to these schools because that means that we are doing so much in our communities, workplaces, and anywhere else we spend our time and even if the motives are to simply get that golden packet, you know what? Who cares? It still means that we are at the soup kitchens, working with the under-privileged, organizing fundraisers, collecting money for worthy causes or in my case, teaching students how to master the GMAT as a Kaplan instructor.

In the end, all of our efforts, whether they result in fruition or not, still make a HUGE impact on the world and thats really WHAT matters. Not the money, not the success ...but leaving our world in a better way than we found it! :)

Okay thanks all!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Everyone ~

I'd first like to thank each one of you for the time you spent completing your Haas application, and for the passion you've demonstrated for our program. As a current student, it is so exciting to see the enthusiasm and dedication, and I look forward to having many of you as classmates next year.

For those of you on the Haas waitlist, I've received quite a few questions regarding next steps, and how you can improve your candidacy. I've outlined below a few things to consider over the next couple of months. Please keep in mind that what I'm including below are my personal recommendations, and not official suggestions from the Admissions Committee.

If you choose to accept a spot on the waitlist, the first thing that I would suggest is to identify what you believe to be the weakest part of your application (i.e. GMAT score, work experience, etc.) Once you've identified this area, I would suggest that you determine the best way to demonstrate to the Admissions Committee that the area is actually a strength, or that you are working on turning it into a strength. For example, if you are concerned about your Quant GMAT score, you could do one of the following: re-take the GMAT, enroll in a continuing education or community college Statistics course. I would recommend that you let Haas know of your plans to re-take the test and/or enroll in the course, and then update the Admissions Committee with your score and/or course grade once it is available.

If you are concerned about your work experience, you could submit an additional letter of support and have a current or former manager speak to how you excelled in the workplace, perhaps specifically addressing how you stacked up against other employees with more work experience.

If you are on the waitlist, and have not yet interviewed, this is a great opportunity to really prepare and knock it out of the park! You want to leave the interview confident that your interviewer knows exactly why you are interested in Haas, how an MBA will help you accomplish your career goals, etc.

Finally, I would suggest that you update the Admissions Committee (via email) with any news that may strengthen your application. For example, a promotion or a significant change (increase) in work responsibilities could be valuable information. These email updates should be meaningful and comprehensive (covering all recent changes that you want to share with Haas).

I hope that this is helpful! The best of luck to everyone still navigating the business school application process!

Best,
Lauren
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
Question: In an earlier post you seemed to indicate that the Admissions committee would consider an updated GMAT score. Earlier I had posted a message to the official admissions message board and the person that responded stated that they wouldn't consider it without moving me from R3 to R4. Do you know of a way to communicate my new score without moving rounds? Thanks so much for all your advice.

Answer: Thank you for your question. I just received additional information from the Admissions Committee regarding this topic.

If a candidate is placed on the waitlist, the Admissions Committee will consider new information at that time (e.g., a new GMAT score). Per my earlier post, a new (improved) GMAT score is a great update to send to the Admissions Committee if you are on the waitlist.

Other than that, the Admissions Committee will consider requests to review an updated score, but (1) the GMAT must be taken prior to the subsequent round deadline and (2) the candidate must then request to be moved to that subsequent round in order for the new score to be considered.

I hope that this is helpful!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 15:05
This post received
KUDOS
Still on the waitlist. Haas is like that girl that keeps going out with you even though she doesn't really like you that much.
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants   [#permalink] 11 May 2010, 15:05