Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 261 [1] , given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 16:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
oski24 wrote:
Hey yall. Have any of you guys been able to access the online application? I want to notify my recommendation writers but I can't seem to access it. Anyone else with this trouble?

It's supposed to come online "early in September." I'm not sure why they're taking so long to open it up.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 19
Location: Boston, MA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Haas MBA/MA Program Dual Degree [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 07:32
Haas advertises a MBA/MA program in International Area Studies. Candidates may add the International Area Studies program during the first year of study.

Seems fairly new and not as established as it's JD and MPH dual degrees since the IAS (International Graduate School) does not have much information on it. Was wondering if anyone has been accepted or applied to this recently. Seems like a great fit with Haas' programs for international social entrepreneurship.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 228
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 10:03
Looks like the application is now live.

Also, I'll probably be in for round 2.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 62
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 12:38
I'm in for Round 2 or 3. My understanding is that they are both equal in difficulty (i.e. not as hard as Round 4). Does anyone know if this is an accurate appraisal?

I was originally most interested in Haas, because of the MBA/MPH program, but now I'm leaning more towards just doing the MBA and the Health Management certificate (If I get in and attend). The dual degree program sounds really cool, but I'm concerned that my previous MS in science in combination with this program would make me look like some sort of deranged degree collector, like a crazy cat lady with master's degrees.

Still, I love the bay area, and any degree from Berkeley would really be a great deal, in my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 62
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 12:46
Avernusaur wrote:
kamokid wrote:
I am interesting in playing a little game: what is Haas "known for"?
ie: Booth= finance, Kellogg = marketing, Stanford = entrepreneurship, Berkeley = ?

If I had to guess, it would be entrepreneurship or general management.

I know that these are generalizations, but that it my point right now.

To generalize and provide a couple strengths, Haas is very well known for its entrepreneurship program and its connections to the tech industry in the bay area.


The Bay area technology industry (which Haas is definitely closely tied to) is definitely known for entrepreneurship, but Haas itself really has a very weak entrepreneurship curriculum and very few entrepreneurship faculty members. It's still a good school if you want to be a tech entrepreneur in the valley, but keep in mind that Harvard, Stanford, and MIT all have waaaaaaayyy more resources dedicated to entrepreneurship.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Waiting....
Joined: 13 May 2010
Posts: 142
Schools: Stern(R1), Haas (R2)
WE 1: Software Engineering
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 23:58
Have you all noticed the "Please select institutions to which you are applying for MBA study; control-click to select multiple institutions (used for statistical purposes only)." in Personal Data II of the application?

It is optional, so i guess i don't need to respond.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 20 Oct 2009
Posts: 113
Schools: MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Haas MBA/MA Program Dual Degree [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 07:09
I've never heard of it either - best advise would be that you call up the school or talk to current students. But if it is a brand new program, there might not be any alumni or current students....so call up the admissions or write an email to inquire more info.
_________________

Dream the impossible and do the incredible.

Live. Love. Laugh.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 22:01
Wow, this thread is dead this year... no one is applying to Haas? R1 deadline coming up in a few weeks!
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 132
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 05:29
kryzak wrote:
Wow, this thread is dead this year... no one is applying to Haas? R1 deadline coming up in a few weeks!


Haha ... I'll bite! I guess everyone's busy with the essays, which are fairly clear cut, I think.

Anyway, I did want to ask how big a deal BILD (Berkeley Innovative Leader Development) really is. I did see that some courses were revamped. Was there anything new that was included? Looks like the 2010 incoming class will get the first taste: http://www2.haas.berkeley.edu/News/News ... 2bild.aspx
_________________

My profile
My GMAT experience

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:12
kryzak wrote:
Wow, this thread is dead this year... no one is applying to Haas? R1 deadline coming up in a few weeks!

I think all of the threads are pretty dead this year, but I'm not sure why. Chat attendance is down too.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 132
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:33
Avernusaur wrote:
kryzak wrote:
Wow, this thread is dead this year... no one is applying to Haas? R1 deadline coming up in a few weeks!

I think all of the threads are pretty dead this year, but I'm not sure why. Chat attendance is down too.


I wonder if this is indicative of a larger trend - a further decrease in total number of applicants for the incoming class of 2011. Haas experienced a 11% decline in applications last year.
http://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_bl ... tions.html
_________________

My profile
My GMAT experience

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Posts: 78
Schools: rd1: Haas, Ross ; rd2: ISB
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 15

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 11:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
They opened the application really late. Is everyone busy filling it up? :)

On a serious note, I've been busy travelling and visiting campus last week.

Here are some thoughts from my Haas campus visit:
Highlights:
- very vibrant campus and lot of hustle/bustle with students (MBA as well as non-MBA) moving around
- Met with class of '11 students for lunch, very friendly, receptive people, shared their experiences, encouraged prospective students to ask any questions
- Infosession was conducted by two second yr students. I really like it when schools do this. I want to get the real scoop from students who live the life there. If it is run by adcom, someof them tend to churn out the same material from their website.
- Class experience was good but not different from other schools. Students were very interactive and proactive in discussions with the Prof. There was a wee bit of cold calling.

Lowlights, if I have to nitpick:
- With a race among top schools to construct new building, Haas campus looks old. Not a big deal because it still looks good
- Tend to come across as slightly less organized department
Overall, I had a fun experience and would love to be there :)
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 289
Schools: Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 10:20
gogetter08 wrote:
They opened the application really late. Is everyone busy filling it up? :)

On a serious note, I've been busy travelling and visiting campus last week.

Here are some thoughts from my Haas campus visit:
Highlights:
- very vibrant campus and lot of hustle/bustle with students (MBA as well as non-MBA) moving around
- Met with class of '11 students for lunch, very friendly, receptive people, shared their experiences, encouraged prospective students to ask any questions
- Infosession was conducted by two second yr students. I really like it when schools do this. I want to get the real scoop from students who live the life there. If it is run by adcom, someof them tend to churn out the same material from their website.
- Class experience was good but not different from other schools. Students were very interactive and proactive in discussions with the Prof. There was a wee bit of cold calling.

Lowlights, if I have to nitpick:
- With a race among top schools to construct new building, Haas campus looks old. Not a big deal because it still looks good
- Tend to come across as slightly less organized department
Overall, I had a fun experience and would love to be there :)


Thanks for the report. I had a similar experience during my visit last spring -- though the student lunch (which is usually my favorite part) was not as good. I found the 2 people I had lunch with to be a little arrogent (one was sponsored by McKinsey and the other was a former IBanker - not sure if that had anything to do with it)... but the info session hosted by current students was really good so that made up for it.

I also recently attended an evening info session in my local city. Reiterated what a good program it is. I actually learned that the experiential learning (haas@work, etc.) will now be a requirement, which I never knew before.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 289
Schools: Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 20:22
kryzak wrote:
Wow, this thread is dead this year... no one is applying to Haas? R1 deadline coming up in a few weeks!


Roll call update -- I'm targeting Haas R2 now.


Not sure why the threads are dead this year. I know I haven't been as active as I thought I would be. The 'man' has me working my a$$ off! (and any free time is devoted to essays).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 23:33
RogerDodger wrote:
Thanks for the report. I had a similar experience during my visit last spring -- though the student lunch (which is usually my favorite part) was not as good. I found the 2 people I had lunch with to be a little arrogent (one was sponsored by McKinsey and the other was a former IBanker - not sure if that had anything to do with it)... but the info session hosted by current students was really good so that made up for it.


Glad to see the thread light up again!

I love this line. While it's stereotyping, I guess there *could* be something to the stereotype. :wink: joking, of course.

BILD is a revamp of the core curriculum and putting more focus on a cohesive leadership development program. I think one of the big things is the requirement to do an immersive experiential learning program like IBD, S-cubed, Haas@Work, etc... I wouldn't say it'll be completely different than years before, but I think it'll be better organized with the theme to build leaders.

Good reports on the visits. Wonder which students you got for the infosession. The HSA team right now is awesome :)
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 228
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 03:19
kryzak wrote:
The HSA team right now is awesome :)


In all seriousness, this is true. My contact at Haas has been an incredible help.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Posts: 78
Schools: rd1: Haas, Ross ; rd2: ISB
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 04:55
kryzak wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:
Thanks for the report. I had a similar experience during my visit last spring -- though the student lunch (which is usually my favorite part) was not as good. I found the 2 people I had lunch with to be a little arrogent (one was sponsored by McKinsey and the other was a former IBanker - not sure if that had anything to do with it)... but the info session hosted by current students was really good so that made up for it.


Glad to see the thread light up again!

I love this line. While it's stereotyping, I guess there *could* be something to the stereotype. :wink: joking, of course.

BILD is a revamp of the core curriculum and putting more focus on a cohesive leadership development program. I think one of the big things is the requirement to do an immersive experiential learning program like IBD, S-cubed, Haas@Work, etc... I wouldn't say it'll be completely different than years before, but I think it'll be better organized with the theme to build leaders.

Good reports on the visits. Wonder which students you got for the infosession. The HSA team right now is awesome :)


Kry,
The students at my infosession were Matt and Kate. They were just fantastic in anticipating questions and addressing them. When Matt mentioned that he interned at your company, I asked him after the session about you. He told me what a wonderful and resourceful person that you are. Just like the way you are on gmatclub :)

Btw, am applying in r1. Add me to rollcall please
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 289
Schools: Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 09:36
kryzak wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:
Thanks for the report. I had a similar experience during my visit last spring -- though the student lunch (which is usually my favorite part) was not as good. I found the 2 people I had lunch with to be a little arrogent (one was sponsored by McKinsey and the other was a former IBanker - not sure if that had anything to do with it)... but the info session hosted by current students was really good so that made up for it.


Glad to see the thread light up again!

I love this line. While it's stereotyping, I guess there *could* be something to the stereotype. :wink: joking, of course.

BILD is a revamp of the core curriculum and putting more focus on a cohesive leadership development program. I think one of the big things is the requirement to do an immersive experiential learning program like IBD, S-cubed, Haas@Work, etc... I wouldn't say it'll be completely different than years before, but I think it'll be better organized with the theme to build leaders.

Good reports on the visits. Wonder which students you got for the infosession. The HSA team right now is awesome :)


Haha, I have to apologize. This was of course meant to be taken lightheartedly and I certainly don't mean to stereotype. To be fair, both of the gentlemen were very nice and willing to answer any questions -- they just happen to be a little less "accessible" and didn't toot the Haas horn as loud as I expected (so to speak).

I agree though, the HSA team is very good!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 23:50
gogetter08 wrote:
Kry,
The students at my infosession were Matt and Kate. They were just fantastic in anticipating questions and addressing them. When Matt mentioned that he interned at your company, I asked him after the session about you. He told me what a wonderful and resourceful person that you are. Just like the way you are on gmatclub :)

Btw, am applying in r1. Add me to rollcall please


Nice, both of them are great people. I do miss seeing them around campus all the time these days.

As for the roll call, I no longer maintain them so hopefully one of you in this year's application "class" will take on the duty to update the roll call like previous years? :)
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 23:52
RogerDodger wrote:

Haha, I have to apologize. This was of course meant to be taken lightheartedly and I certainly don't mean to stereotype. To be fair, both of the gentlemen were very nice and willing to answer any questions -- they just happen to be a little less "accessible" and didn't toot the Haas horn as loud as I expected (so to speak).

I agree though, the HSA team is very good!


No need to apologize. It's good feedback to give and I'll definitely mention it next time (and it won't be linked to you in anyway, don't worry). :)
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2010, 23:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Popular new posts 10 Calling Berkeley-Haas Fall 2008 Applicants! kryzak 764 14 Jul 2007, 11:38
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 34 Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants agold 632 12 Jun 2008, 10:18
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New Calling all Berkeley Haas EWMBA 2009 applicants! suntaurian 5 30 Mar 2009, 11:50
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 43 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2010 Applicants kryzak 1236 13 May 2009, 00:23
Moved topic 82 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants Av 1830 09 May 2010, 16:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2011 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  92    Next  [ 1831 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.