Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Research (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
Re: Calling all Broad(Michigan) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Thanks for all the responses guys! I have 4 years experience in Logistics and I've listed my schools on my profile. What about the others here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Broad(Michigan) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
FROM Broad (Michigan State) MBA Blog: Delphi Leader Tells Warrington Lecture Crowd that Engagement is Key to Success
By Terri Hughes-Lazell

Being engaged can mean different things to different people. To Kevin Clark, president and CEO of Delphi, it means to think like an owner, not just an employee. It’s an all-in—physically and emotionally.

Having a seat at the table is important to Clark, and has driven the career decisions of the alumnus of Michigan State University’s Eli Broad College of Business—attracting him to the type of corporate culture that embraces this ideal.

“It’s important to me to be helping a business,” said Clark (BA Financial Administration ’84, MBA ‘86). “As CEO, it’s important to leverage the strengths of others on the team, and we are a cohesive group,” he said. “I came in to make a difference and my perspective is a group is more important than an individual.”

Clark shared his business acumen and wisdom with those attending the 2015 Sylvan T. Warrington Lecture in Ethics and Leadership at Michigan State University’s Broad College of Business.

“There has been so much change since I was here in the early ‘80s, and the Broad College now has 10,000 more students,” the Broad College alumnus told the crowd. “But change is more than being bigger.”

He explained that when he was a student, personal computers were a novelty and the first mobile phone cost nearly $4,000, plus service fees and minute charges—and data was not part of that phone.

Clark added that music was purchased at record stores and social media was a yearbook or the Yellow Pages.

Today, it is human nature to be in constant connection with others because of technology. And technology is driving change constantly. And big data globalization has an even greater impact, he said.

To be successfully and effectively engaged in today’s global business environment, he suggests:

• Know your market
  • Know your customer
  • Know your competitors
“Companies that engage and adapt to change, thrive,” he said. An example he gave is Netflix vs. Blockbuster. Netflix adapted to change.

Clark said the consequences of being behind the curve are even more severe today.

“Sixty-five percent of today’s preschoolers will work at a job that doesn’t yet exist,” he said. “Change is faster and more global.”

For Delphi, the transformation came from management that turned around the company from bankruptcy to one of the “most sophisticated technology companies” in the automotive industry, according to Clark. “It’s the biggest comeback success of the last decade,” he said

Faced with a need to reshape the cost structure and better position the company, Delphi came out of Chapter 11 within four years. Today, the global company is focused on identifying the products for automotive with the most potential for growth.

Delphi is focused on safety and driver experience through connectivity. It provides components and fully integrated systems to automotive manufacturers. The company also lays claim to the only coast-to-coast trip in North America for an automated car.

Crossing 20 states and 34,000 miles, the team collected three terabytes of data showing that 99 percent of the time, the car functioned without a driver during the nine-day trip.

But it’s not just driving without a human at the controls—it’s the safety addition that one-half second of reaction time buys, Clark said. It would save 10,000-plus lives, as well as benefiting those who are blind and/or elderly to have transportation readily available to them.

“This is the beginning chapter of this story,” he told the standing-room-only crowd.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Broad (Michigan State) MBA Blog: Student Spotlight: Gaurav Jain spent summer interning in San Francisco
Second-year Full-Time MBA student Gaurav Jain spent 10 weeks this summer interning with the supply chain department of GAP in San Francisco.

Second-year Full-Time MBA student Gaurav Jain.

Jain was excited to apply his classroom supply chain knowledge in the work place, but soon found out that would not be the only skills he would need.

“Being a supply chain major I thought that only expectation from me would be to implement supply chain knowledge,” he said. “I soon figured out that things are not black and white as far as job functions are concerned.”

Jain also had to use marketing skills in customer segmentation and 5 forces analysis, as well as finance concepts used in discounted cash flow, NPV, and terminal value.

This made him realize that “instead of existing independently, these functions are highly integrated.” And he’s convinced that an MBA is expected to know everything.

“As an MBA we are expected to be a master of one function but knowledgeable of other functions and have an understanding of how all these functions integrate with each other,” Jain said. “This definitely helps us to differentiate ourselves.”
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.64
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Is there anyone on this group who submitted their applications on or before 4th and still haven't heard anything from Broad (Invite/Reject)...Really feeling anxious now!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Broad (Michigan State) MBA Blog: The : Broad MBA a Leader in Career Results

The Full-Time MBA Program at Michigan State University’s Broad College of Business is a world leader in helping students upgrade their careers, according to the Economist ranking of worldwide full-time MBA programs released October 15.

The Broad Full-Time MBA Program was ranked No. 2 globally for percentage increase on pre-MBA salary and No. 3 for the percentage of graduates who received a job offer within three months of graduation. The Broad MBA was among the top 20 programs internationally for “open[ing] new career opportunities”— No. 4 among U.S. public programs.

“It is truly rewarding to see our alumni recognized for the ways they make business happen around the world,” said Glenn Omura, associate dean for MBA and professional master’s programs. “We prepare our students to respond with creativity and innovation to the challenges of the business world, using their breadth of understanding and deep subject matter expertise to create results. It is their hard work and inspiration that creates results like these.”

The Broad College’s overall Economist ranking was No. 8 among U.S. public institutions, No. 21 in the U.S. overall, and No. 35 globally.

MSU’s full-time MBA has ranked near the top of U.S. public programs in the other major MBA rankings as well: No. 8 in Forbes, No. 11 in Bloomberg Businessweek and Financial Times, and No. 17 in U.S. News & World Report.

The Economist full-time MBA ranking focuses predominantly on the educational experience students have and their career progression as a result of the degree, particularly in terms of salary. It is based on data provided by schools, current students, and alumni.

For the full 2015 rankings, visit economist.com.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Broad (Michigan State) MBA Blog: Consulting is a Focus for MBA Students
By Terri Hughes-Lazzell

MBAs are naturally drawn to careers in consulting. To help Michigan State University’s Eli Broad College of Business MBA students earn those positions, the Broad Consulting Club helps members prepare for these opportunities.

While the club’s primary mission is preparing its members for a career in consulting, it also helps members to further develop skills in problem solving for any corporate role.

The club’s activities to assist members include:

• Coaching members to solve business problems and cases
  • Providing an avenue to interact with top consulting firms
  • Mentoring students for a career in consultin
A recent example of mentoring came from Broad College of Business alumnus Geng Wang (BA Supply Chain Management ’08) and fellow MSU alumnus Nick Laverty, who gave their time to introduce Broad College MBA students to the intricacies of consulting during Labor Day weekend.

The Broad Consulting Club hosted the two consultants from McKinsey & Company Sunday, Sept. 6. Forty-two students from the MBA classes of 2016 and 2017 gathered to learn and network with these representatives of the top-tier consulting firm. Discussions included the nature of projects the firm takes on, work/life balance, and job opportunities. The pair also gave students an overview of McKinsey and its hiring process.

In addition, the club has held:

• Regular case coaching workshops every Thursday. BCC leadership emails selected cases to students in advance to discuss during the weekly meeting. Solutions to the case are explored and the students are introduced to different frameworks that aid them in understanding the problem at hand.
  • Case workshop with A.T. Kearney with consultants on campus to discuss a live case with students. The case focused on market strategy and the students solved and presented in groups. The group case-solving experience had students present in a high-pressure environment and gave valuable insights about the importance of presentation skills. The case workshop was followed by a networking event.
  • Case workshop with Ernst & Young focusing on operations. Students were challenged to solve and present an operation problem within 60 minutes. Participating students received feedback for the upcoming interview season.
The club has upcoming events that include:

• Chat session with the CEO of Impendi Analytics
  • Case workshop with Alix Partners
  • Trek to PwC
  • Essential analytics skills for consultants (spring semester)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Broad (Michigan State) MBA Blog: Broad Full-Time MBA No. 7 in Student Survey, Top 15 Public Program in 2015 Ranking

Bloomberg Businessweek visualization of Broad’s ranking results relative to other ranked schools

Student satisfaction for Michigan State University’s Eli Broad College of Business Full-Time MBA sailed toward the top of the poll in the latest Bloomberg Businessweek ranking of full-time MBA programs, released October 20. MSU’s Broad MBA was ranked No. 12 among public universities and moved up three places overall to No. 30 among all U.S. programs.

The Broad MBA moved up from No. 26 to No. 7 in the annual student survey, which focused on “the class of 2015’s take on academics, career services, campus climate, and more.”

This year, Bloomberg Businessweek retooled its ranking of “The Best Business Schools,” moving from biennial to annual release, removing its “intellectual capital” faculty research productivity indicator, and including an alumni survey and data on graduates’ job placement and starting salaries.

The Broad MBA improved its showing in every continuing indicator and made a top 10 showing in the new placement rate category.

• Employer survey rank (35 percent of total): up four places to No. 39
  • Alumni survey rank (new, 30 percent of total): No. 39
  • Student survey rank (15 percent of total): up 19 places to No. 7
  • Placement rate rank (new, 10 percent of total): No. 6
  • Salary rank (new, 10 percent of total): No. 41
“Our increasing placement rate is driving student satisfaction,” said Glenn Omura, associate dean for MBA and professional master’s programs. “And once on the job, employers are expressing increased satisfaction. We make sure our students are primed for work and can deliver the goods on the job.”

MSU’s MBA has ranked near the top of U.S. public programs in the other major full-time MBA rankings as well: No. 8 in Forbes and the Economist, No. 11 in Financial Times, and No. 17 in U.S. News & World Report.

For more information about this ranking, visit bloomberg.com.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.64
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Is there anyone on this group who have submitted his/her application on or before 4th and still haven't heard anything from Broad (Invite/Reject)???
Really feeling anxious now!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Send PM
Hi, can somebody please tell me if we can do the video essays in multiple rounds or do we have to do it in a stretch? Also, can someone please share their video essay questions please? Also, do you get some time to think & record?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
lav4 wrote:
Hi, can somebody please tell me if we can do the video essays in multiple rounds or do we have to do it in a stretch? Also, can someone please share their video essay questions please? Also, do you get some time to think & record?

I think you have do it at a stretch. You don't get any time to think but you have 3 tries. If you are not satisfied with your answer, you can re-record and the question will be the same.
I got example of challenging experience, leadership example.
I am sorry I don't remember them all.
But they were behavioral questions. You can find lot of sample questions if you google.
Make sure you have various incidents from your work exp you can use as examples.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Broad (Michigan State) MBA Blog: Dell Tech Day Connects with Full-Time MBA Students
By Terri Hughes-Lazzell

In Dell’s first Tech Day this fall with the Full-Time MBA program at Michigan State University’s Eli Broad College of Business, Stephanie Mims, Dell’s executive director of global services, helped students understand how their business skills could be applied to the technology company.

Stephanie Mims, Executive Director, Global Technical Account Management Services for Dell & Chris Wollam, Director of Global Procurement for Dell talk with MBA students from Michigan State University’s Broad College of Business. Both Mims and Wollam are graduates of Broad’s MBA program. Photo by Alan Piñon

Mims holds an MBA from the Broad College and said Dell likes MSU’s “roll-up-your-sleeves, can-do, teamwork attitude.” That’s one of the reasons she returns to the MBA program not only to recruit, but also now to help students understand how their business education can enhance technology.

“MSU graduates fit well with our culture,” Mims (MBA ’95) said. “We want people to be creative in an environment where they may deal with ambiguity. We want them to work as a team and take risks—be willing to try something and if it doesn’t work, try something else and learn.”

Broad College’s MBA program allows students to mold their own experience while developing an end-to-end understanding of business. This allows students to prepare for jobs in continually changing environments across the spectrum, including the fast-paced world of technology.

MBAs can connect business to how technology affects people and how quickly it can change, she said.

“We give students a taste of technology beyond the personal use—how trends affect them and how their business acumen can impact a company like Dell,” Mims said. Technology issues affect business and business affects technology—it’s how people solve those problems—that is what Dell is seeking, she added.

Mims has used her business skills in the technology world for several years now. She chose MSU’s Full-Time MBA program in part for the opportunity to be in a strategically smaller program. That choice allowed her to develop relationships with her professors, work in research, and serve as a teaching assistant.

“(The Broad program) taught me balance, how to prioritize and get things done,” she said, adding that the program’s size allows students to focus their education on what they want to do in the business world.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
The thread is silent.
Any updates guy?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Just received my e-mail for the evaluative interview. Any of the early decision interviewees have any comments on the on campus interview process so far this year?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Application Submitted on 31st Oct. Status moved from Processing to Complete on 3rd Nov.
Lets see how it goes.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Just received my interview invite :-D

Any pointers for the interview, anyone??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey, when did u apply, and what is your profile.
I submitted my application on 31st Oct, R1 Deadline, Status Changed on 3rd Nov to Complete. No info post that.
What was your submission date?

rsam789 wrote:
Just received my interview invite :-D

Any pointers for the interview, anyone??
Intern
Intern
When will ED results come out?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts