Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
GOT THE CALL ON FRIDAY!

ED applicant, deferred on 12/15

Haven't gotten the official email yet because she called me after 5 on Friday, but looking forward to getting the email tomorrow. YAAAAAAAAAY!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 20:21
This post received
KUDOS
NZOMNIAC wrote:
neildiamond wrote:
In my opinion, NZOMNIAC, if you're looking to do consulting you probably shouldn't consider either CBS or Booth, given ~50% of students go into finance, whereas at Kellogg it is the reverse: ~50% go to consulting. But that is my thought on that matter.

Thanks for your thoughts

Post MBA I plan to start my own consulting firm in India - so its probably entrepreneurship + consulting

I cleared CFA Level 2 as a hobby which Booth/CBS may like

Love your pomposity. Good luck.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 20:29
This post received
KUDOS
NZOMNIAC wrote:
Writing essays 24X7 for last 3 weeks about career goals has led to a assertive/pompous tone in my posts.. I am usually undecided abt everything (libran) ..:)

pomposity is different from assertiveness, if you know what I mean.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 07:16
This post received
KUDOS
joshmba2011 wrote:
Hey Guys, quick question:

Submitted on 1/3, status changed to "printing" shortly after, but now it seems my status has gone blank, doesn't say "printing", doesn't say "under review", doesn't say anything (other than application submitted and complete). I haven't received any email from them either. Is this normal or is this something I should be calling Adcom about?

Thanks.

Call the admissions office. Your status should never be empty.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 12:56
This post received
KUDOS
I was admitted on the 11th, but still haven't received any sort of package in the mail. Is that werid?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 24

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
promethean wrote:
I am visiting NYC and Columbia next weekend (29th - 31st), and I want to make sure I am getting the most out of the trip. I plan on visiting a class and attending the information meeting on the 31st. I had a couple questions:

1) Are there any other activities I should try to check out while in town? Or people I should try to meet?
2) What kind of dress code is recommended for the class/information meeting?

Thanks!

Dress code for the class is pretty informal, but for the information meeting I'd go with business casual.

If you have a particular area of interest, you could contact a current student and try to arrange a meeting.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 24

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 14:23
This post received
KUDOS
VictoryMBA wrote:
I'm submitting my Columbia application no later than Monday (Jan.24). How big of a disadvantage will I be at in relation to those folks who submitted on Jan.5? Does Columbia review and make a decision on every R2 applicant (who submitted by R2 deadline), and then start rolling admissions? Or is it rolling admissions regardless of the date you submit?

I wanted to submit on the 5th, but I had to finish three other applications, and Columbia was just looking real shoddy. I decided to postpone and rework my essays. I have them just about polished, and I'm a lot more confident about them. I just hope I haven't screwed myself over too much.

Columbia does rolling from start to finish, the only disadvantage is that most people probably have submitted by now, so the class will be getting fuller. But there probably aren't that many applicants between Jan.5 and now, except maybe a few others like you who had trouble completing their applications.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 12:57
This post received
KUDOS
was just reading the 2010 thread and came across someone who had this timeline:

Quote:
Submitted 1/5
Last recommender submitted 1/6
under review 1/11
invite received 1/20

again, that is from last year. but should be encouragement that us merit deadline folks could potentially be hearing something soon.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 21:33
This post received
KUDOS
I was there as well. But as I said before , wasn't able to stay after. I was one of the admits so it was super exciting to find out that way! Hopefully I'll meet some of you at admitted students day..... At some point, we might want to exchange real names ;)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
i am in the sheet now ....

not sure what total profile consists of but i was 680 gmat / 3.6 gpa/ 5years work experience in s&t

i made it clear in essays that columbia was top choice (only applied to nyu and cbs). visited school about 5 times, sat in on 4 classes, spoke to tons and tons of students.... i pretty much courted them so they had no doubt how serious i was about attending. also helps that i live in nyc

simple1234 wrote:
rockrock wrote:
I was there as well. But as I said before , wasn't able to stay after. I was one of the admits so it was super exciting to find out that way! Hopefully I'll meet some of you at admitted students day..... At some point, we might want to exchange real names ;)

Hello ladies,

I left the conference while chatting with another prospective and forgot about the GMAT club meeting :( Josiebella (I assume you were among those who stood up, congrats again) and congratulations Rock Rock, It was great to see you ladies walk up after your names were called out. Rock Rock, can you share your profile please? I certainly hope I meet you ladies sometime in the near future. Fingers crossed fro Columbia.

I also remember one of the adcoms saying they had not received a bulk of their applications yet, so go ahead and apply if you really want to attend CBS, you should be fine.

To those who were dinged, I am so sorry, and wish you the very best with the rest of your aplications.

Still waiting.......
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 06:26
This post received
KUDOS
T

Last edited by globalcitizen on 25 Jan 2011, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
[

Last edited by globalcitizen on 25 Jan 2011, 19:07, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
cunit2k5 wrote:
If you're planning to take the CFA L1 exam in June 2011, how would you include it on your resume if recommended?

I think the official guideline is to put CFA Level 1 Candidate if you already registered and paid for the exam. However, I do not think it makes a difference putting it on your resume since it is not yet an achievement.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 15:01
This post received
KUDOS
Arbitrageur wrote:
Zeustheman, i hope you're right on the timeline. I submitted on Christmas Day and went under review on 1/4 but not invite yet. Getting really nervous since some people received invites this week.

I'l give you a reason to be positive. If you look at the Google CBS Application Status document, you'll noticed a lot of EDs who eventually were admitted didn't receive an interview invite until well over a month after they submitted their app. You could end up exactly like them. Again, your first reader could have passed, but your second reader could be someone who loves to cook and really falls in love with the fact that you were the second runner-up in a regional cooking competition (as an example clearly).
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
bdubs wrote:
Anyone know how long CBS gives you to make up your mind about a seat/tuition deposit? I saw on the website that they only give ED applicants 2 weeks, and wanted to know if RD applicants have a longer time frame.

You get 4 weeks. Initial deposit is $2k then $1k by the summer.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 17:15
This post received
KUDOS
zacdaniels wrote:
I applied 1/15 to Columbia and am wondering if I should look lower. I'm a non-traditional applicant: AB in Political Theory from #20 liberal arts college (GPA: 3.6), law degree from #20 law school (with a low GPA: 2.9). Have only one semester of ugrad quant work: Calc I (A). 730 on the GMAT.
Want to lead a nonprofit (currently working in the nonprofit/gov't world).
Is it likely that my Law School GPA is going to sink me at top schools? Given the low grad school gpa, which is obviously more recent than my college grades, should I forget about schools in the top 10? I've noticed that invites have gone out for R2 interviews and I haven't heard anything which contributes to my wondering if I should shoot some R3 apps out.

Thanks and congrats to the people who've heard positive news.

I'd be more curious to know if just having a JD is detrimental. There were only two in the class of 2011. Now, that could obviously be because of self-selection I have no idea. Others probably know if Columbia is friendly/unfriendly to JD applicants.

http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/news/item/ ... s+of+2011#
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 17:30
This post received
KUDOS
zacdaniels wrote:
I applied 1/15 to Columbia and am wondering if I should look lower.
I've noticed that invites have gone out for R2 interviews and I haven't heard anything which contributes to my wondering if I should shoot some R3 apps out.

I think you're a little off on the timeline. There are no rounds in CBS except ED and RD. No RD invites have gone out for people that have applied in your timeline on this forum. Or even anyone who applied this year, from what I can tell.

Generally, someone who went to law school is going to have less work experience than someone of a similar age. And age does matter in this. I imagine that could put you at a disadvantage. I don't know about the actual JD helping or hurting, but I'm sure someone more informed could chime in.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke!! (CBS-in, Texas-in, Yale-WL, Haas-R)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
Figure out if you'll make more over time from Columbia than NYU in your field. If not, go to NYU. Mounting debt in loans sucks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 17:37
This post received
KUDOS
VictoryMBA wrote:
zacdaniels wrote:
I applied 1/15 to Columbia and am wondering if I should look lower. I'm a non-traditional applicant: AB in Political Theory from #20 liberal arts college (GPA: 3.6), law degree from #20 law school (with a low GPA: 2.9). Have only one semester of ugrad quant work: Calc I (A). 730 on the GMAT.
Is it likely that my Law School GPA is going to sink me at top schools? Given the low grad school gpa, which is obviously more recent than my college grades, should I forget about schools in the top 10? I've noticed that invites have gone out for R2 interviews and I haven't heard anything which contributes to my wondering if I should shoot some R3 apps out.

I'd be more curious to know if just having a JD is detrimental. There were only two in the class of 2011. Now, that could obviously be because of self-selection I have no idea. Others probably know if Columbia is friendly/unfriendly to JD applicants.

http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/news/item/ ... s+of+2011#

I don't know if you can say that based on the article. I have a PhD, but I don't think it was detrimental to my application just because there aren't that many of them at Columbia. I just don't think the pool of applicants is very large.

As for zac's q - you can't assess how strong a candidate is based on numbers. Even looking at the spreadsheet, there isn't a method to the madness based on numbers. Only you can do an honest self-reflection on how strong your app is and what your other strengths/weaknesses are. If you've put together banging essays, I'm sure they would overlook a slightly low grad gpa. I didn't even report a grad gpa. But its up to you to decide whether you want to apply to lower tier schools as a backup for this year or spend a year beefing up your apps to apply to some R1s for the top 10 if you don't make it in this year.

Man, I have a lot to say :) I've been busy but still checking out the forum. Can't wait to meet some of you folks at Columbia Connect next week!

And for those of you out there that are checking your email obsessively, I remember that well - its a really tough time. Just stay strong, try not to read into the situation and don't doubt yourself!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: University of Toronto (Rotman) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.57

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 20

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 18:25
This post received
KUDOS
zacdaniels wrote:

I wouldn't worry about your GPA in law school whatsoever. Your GMAT and undergrad GPA testify that you are smart enough, and the fact that you got a law degree testify that you are willing to study.

The first thing adcom will wonder, and your main concern should be, is why do you want a business school degree after law school? If you have a solid, thorough answer to this then you are well positioned. Applying on 1/15 does reduce your chances for admission statistically, but if you are a convincing candidate it will not be a problem.

So don't get hung up on your law school gpa and focus on your real question marks.

I know this is coming from a guy with a 2.6 gpa, but I'm being objective. I think your more significant gpa is 3.6. Or you could take some average and say your overal gpa is 3.3

>>>>>>> "Fences set on a high place will not stand firm against the wind; so a timid mind with a fool's resolve will not stand firm against any fear." ~~~~~~

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2011, 18:25