Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 20

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
6 days?! Wow! When did you app go under review and what are your stats? They must be pretty amazing.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 26

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
capuella wrote:
Hey all,

First post, but been following the board for a week or so. Has anyone who went under review on or after 1/21 received an interview invite? Any thoughts on when I should expect to hear?

Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can check WHEN my app went "under review." I know it was sometime mid January, but I don't remember now. Is there a date or do people just check everyday and somehow remember the date?

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth(Int - Waitlist-R2), Kellogg (Int-admit-R2), CBS (Ding-RD), Yale(admit-R2), Haas(int-R3)
WE 1: 6 years - Healthcare Consulting
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
I just did a quick search in my gmail for when my last status change was.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 24

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
thirderivativemerf wrote:
sorry for the repost..getting nervous!

I submitted on 12/23 and went under review on 1/7 and haven't heard anything since. I see that people who have applied after me (in Dec and Jan) have both gotten dinged and called for an interview. Is this normal?

How should I interpret this delay in response?

Thanks!

I heard from AdCom that each application gets read by several people. My guess is that all of us that went under review before mid-January have been evaluated by two people, and as a result of that some interviews and dings got sent. Most of us are probably somewhere in between, and getting read by the third person and/or being discussed in committee meetings. The AdCom member I spoke too insisted that interview invites can come at any time during the 8-12 week review period (though I think most of them probably come within the first 8 weeks, not the last 4). As long as you don't get a ding, you're still in...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia 2013 (accepted)
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
Guys, just to let you know there are 136 members in the Columbia Class of 2013 facebook page. Pretty decent indication of how many spots are left as most everyone joins the group shortly after being accepted. So looks like there are still lots of spots open.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 24

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 08:04
This post received
KUDOS
globalcitizen wrote:
jackhrobbins wrote:
Guys, just to let you know there are 136 members in the Columbia Class of 2013 facebook page. Pretty decent indication of how many spots are left as most everyone joins the group shortly after being accepted. So looks like there are still lots of spots open.

I still haven't joined just yet! lol. So its really 137 :p But you guys get the point...still PLENTY of open spots. Good luck!

I'm sure there are two groups of people who haven't joined: those still deciding between several offers, and those that haven't announced their plans at work. This is not CBS related, but yesterday I had a couple of brief facebook scares when people that I met while traveling for a b-school interview became my fb friends and immediately posted on my wall: "hope the interview went well"... needless to say, those posts didn't stay up for very long, and I'll be more careful in the future.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
bdubs wrote:

It's on the list of questions that the interviewer is supposed to ask. My interviewer had the list in front of him and went through it.

I would imagine that some interviewers just really don't care for the question. Your interviewer probably just marked your response as being satisfactory or substituted the response for their own alternative question in that portion of the feedback.

Thanks. My interviewer did ask a somewhat similar question about how I dealt with conflict between my two superiors. It was a follow up a question from something I mentioned. Maybe he used my answer to that question as a substitute for the "ethical dilemma" one.

The clear admit wiki does have all the questions my interviewer asked.

Walk me through your resume and tell me the following:
Why did you choose your undergrad institution?
Why did you choose your first job?

Why MBA?
Why now?
Why Columbia?
What do you do for fun outside of work?

We then chatted about Columbia and his current work. It was a very standard and relaxed interview. It helped me a lot to read all the information I could find on Columbia. Especially free consultant guides. As my interviewer was telling me things about CBS, I was able to chime in with details from my reading. Good luck to anyone else preparing for an interview.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 13:45
This post received
KUDOS
PrincetonMBA2007 wrote:
Mine has been under review since Jan 13. I guess I am pretty much toast at this point.

Eh. While this is super annoying to not know what's going on, let's cut the dramatics. We're not toast until we're toast ;p

Still waiting for my invite too! Doesn't sound like anyone has gotten any since the few that did on.. Monday, was it?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 63

Premium Member
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 14:23
This post received
KUDOS
Guys remember Columbia is rolling admissions -- its not like other schools that have specific ding dates where you could be sitting on the edge of your chair waiting while really you'd been dinged by adcoms 3 weeks ago but they just haven't told you yet. If you haven't received word it means they haven't rendered a decision on you yet -- no reason to give up hope!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke!! (CBS-in, Texas-in, Yale-WL, Haas-R)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 17:13
This post received
KUDOS
i was totally kidding btw.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 12:01
This post received
KUDOS
i called them the day after my interview. Just be courteous. Just say "hey, my app went complete 4 months. Just wanted to check in and see if you needed any additional data, and if not when I could expect to hear back".
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbua Business School - RD (admitted w $ + enrolled), Harvard Business School - R2 (ding), Chicago Booth - R2 (admitted /w $$), NYU Stern - R2 (admitted w/$$$)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 18:41
This post received
KUDOS
Received my acceptance today!!! I am so excited and grateful to have this opportunity!

Thanks to everyone for sharing so much valuable information on this forum. It really helped get through this stressful process.

Good luck to everyone still waiting! I wish you all the best.

Below is my timeline of notifications. Hope it's helpful.

Submitted: 1/5
Printed: 1/6
Under Review: 1/13
Interview Invite: 1/19
Interview Complete: 2/1
Accepted: 2/15
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 2 yrs BB
WE 2: 3 yrs PE

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 08:27
This post received
KUDOS
Got an admit call

Submitted: 11/5
Printed: 11/8
Under Review: 12/3
Interview Invite: 1/4
Interview Complete: 2/1
Accepted: 2/18
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
Got the admit call
Submitted: 11/2
Interview Invite: 1/11
Application Complete: 2/1
Accepted: 2/18

I've been lurking around this board and it's provided me with useful data points and banter through the process. Good luck to everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 14:48
This post received
KUDOS
LaChloe wrote:
Wonder if we'll hear anything today - is Admissions closed b/c of the holiday?

Yes.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 14:36
This post received
KUDOS
cassius66 wrote:
NY1 wrote:
Apply 12/1, interview 1/25, waitlisted 2/23

730 GMAT, 3.3 Undergrad from Ivy, 5.5 years W/E, CFA 3 candidate

Received an e-mail saying decision had been rendered, no phone call

Apply 12/9, Interview 1/28, waitlisted 2/23

710 gmat/3.6 undergrad from top 10 US News university/5.5 yrs w/e.

Anyone else on here waitlisted??

Hey there--I'm a long-time lurker.

I was waitlisted today too: 690 GMAT/3.7 undergrad from top public/4.5 WE in media and nonprofit/strong ecs. Weird that everyone waitlisted seems pretty competitive. I was definitely disappointed because I felt like I had a fairly solid interview, as well. Sigh...
For context: Applied 12/12; Interview Invite 1/7; Interview 1/29; Waitlist 2/23.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 15:32
This post received
KUDOS
For those of you waiting to interview or about to have your interviews, I figured my experience may help.

I interviewed with an alum who graduated ~20 years ago. It was in his office and very conversational and laid back. He prefaced the entire discussion with "So Columbia makes me ask these really strange questions.. but I'm going to put them aside for now." That definitely set the tone for the rest of the interview!

He was extremely supportive and gave a lot of advice about his Columbia experience and what I shouldn't miss while there. The only standard questions he asked were the famous "ethical dilemma" question and "how do you work in a team?". No "Why Columbia?", "Why an MBA?" or anything like that. I threw in as much of those answers in our original discussion so he may not have needed to ask anything else. In fact, we spent the majority of the interview heading in tangents about my chosen industry and we debated back and forth on that topic (but it didn't feel like he was trying to probe my knowledge, just basic curiosity)

Anyway, for those of you interviewing with older alumni, just be aware that they may not directly ask you the key "admissions office set of questions" so find other ways of inserting in those answers. It certainly did throw me off in the beginning, but in the end, my interviewer told me that he'd write me up well. I know that this entire process is brutal and great applicants are getting dings, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Good luck to the rest of you out there!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, HBS (Int), Sloan, CBS (Int)

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 13:44
This post received
KUDOS
@vinaynp - thanks for sharing and best of luck

cunit2k5 wrote:
The only movement recently has been dings. Anyone get an invite?!?

It really is nuts, isn't it? For those of us that applied in the week before the Fellowship deadline, this past month has been an absolute bloodbath. Had I known in advance, I still wouldn't have applied ED but come on... Can you really call it "Regular Decision" if it accounts for less than half of admits?

1/4 Submit
1/21 Under Review
2/28 Under Duress
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, HBS (Int), Sloan, CBS (Int)

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 19:52
This post received
KUDOS
Morningside Heights. :)

Last edited by crackalack on 03 Mar 2011, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 5 yr Big Four
WE 2: 0.5 yr IB

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
Being a former auditor at Deloitte, I thought I'd do a little digging and I checked last year's forum - "Calling All CBS 2010 Applicants". Based on my review, i have some good news and really bad news..

The good news- people were getting invited for interviews well into March and April and were getting acceptances well into the summer - July even.

The bad news- people were getting invited for interviews well into March and April and were getting acceptances well into the summer - July even. :( Meaning that the waiting could continue for months!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2011, 12:39