Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard Business School, Columbia GSB, Chicago Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 12:32
This post received
KUDOS
simple1234 wrote:
SebastianMBA wrote:
SebastianMBA wrote:

Actually, just got the call myself!

Applied 1/5
Under Review 1/21
Interview Invite 2/16
Complete 2/21
Accepted 3/8

28/M/750/3.6/WE 5.5 years Big Four - Audit.

I'm static right now, but thought I'd share.

Congratulations Sebastian.
Please could you share what kind of follow up questions you were asked by admissions?

I received an email on Sunday in regards to my wife, as I had mentioned in my app she was also applying, but had not applied yet. I answered immediately and got my call today around 12:20 PM EST. Hope this helps and will keep rooting for those still waiting. The GC has been a great source of support even when anxiety and desperation have taken the best of me.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 14:12
This post received
KUDOS
he meant "ecstatic" 8-)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 14:30
This post received
KUDOS
jb88 wrote:
gobigorgohome wrote:

I'm sorry to hear! I also think it's crazy that you would consider a 690 a super low GMAT. I personally think that it is a great accomplishment and you will no doubt here some positive news from some other great schools this cycle. Good luck!

No, I'm pretty sure that a sub-700 is too far below elite school GMAT averages. Combined with an ok, not great GPA from an ok, not great school is a deadly combination for not being good enough when you are a white male in consulting.

Common jb88, give yourself some credit. You are more than just numbers..... :-D!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, HBS (Int), Sloan, CBS (Int)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
Had the CBS interview yesterday, so thought I'd give it to all you RDers while it's fresh. Apologies for length, but hopefully it's beneficial.

My interviewer was the seventh of nine that I emailed and one of only two to even respond. Quick tip: If you're freaking out that no one will reply to interview requests, just call admissions and they'll reset the interviewer app so you can get a fresh 9 potential interviewers. I didn't have to do this in the end, but I called admissions after the first few days to see what to do just in case...

I interviewed with an alum at his office around 4:30. He had been extremely curt in his emails, so I was a bit worried going in that he'd be very self-serious and condescending (Moral: Don't read too deeply into emails. These people are busy). He turned out to be a really nice guy, and I think I performed a lot better because he was so laid back. He took notes the entire time, sometimes asking follow-up questions but mainly covering one general topic at a time. One thing I thought strange was that he really didn't want it to be a conversation. He gave me a prompt, I talked for a few minutes, waited for him to stop typing, then he asked another question so I could continue my monologue. It was very much just me telling my story, which made it a lot easier to get my points across than *ahem* other interviews. Different people will have different styles obviously, but he set it up like this:

First thing he told me, which was quite kind of him: "The interview cannot hurt, only help." Also, he made a point to mention that Columbia really likes anecdotes - whatever you talk about, make sure you include a good story to drive the point home. It also makes it a lot easier for the interviewer to report back to CBS if they have plotlines to remember.

Notably, he said the first big bullet point on his sheet was applicant's "presentation" (well put together, firm handshake, clean, etc.), and the rest were just recommended questions. So... shower.

After that, he just let me do my thing for 5-6 different questions while he transcribed the answers: Personal introduction, examples of leadership with specific impact, development of role within current company, ethical dilemma, Why MBA?/Why now?/Why Columbia?, career goals, what will you bring to the Columbia community. That was it. Basically, every generic B-school interview question without too many curveballs. The one thing he did stress was to bring in some information that I couldn't fit into my app, so maybe do some brainstorming there.

The "interview" portion took about 30 minutes, but he answered my questions for another 15. He ended up giving me an unsolicited, (unexpectedly) frank list of the pros and cons of Columbia/NYC, which I certainly appreciated. Small talk ensued, he said he'd submit over the weekend, then he kicked me out. Fin.

Overall it was much more general, and thus more flexible, than others I've had. Granted, this is biased from what I myself have experienced and read, but I wouldn't waste your time planning for curveball questions if you have a CBS interview. Rather, focus on the stories you can tell to differentiate you from the pack of 3.9-770-overachiever-leader-all-stars. Aside from that, my interview was 90% congruent to anything you'd read on Clear Admit.

Cheers and good luck to all, especially those still waiting for invites. My interviewer said I was the first he's interviewed this calendar year, and that it seemed to be a lot slower of a start for R2 interviews than in the last few years. Keep the dream alive...

Also, what's the complete -> decision timeline been like for people who interviewed in Feb-Mar?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 5 yr Big Four
WE 2: 0.5 yr IB

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2011, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
I have friend at Columbia now who got accepted from the waitlist. He said that after he was waitlisted, he continued going to campus, visiting classes, spoke with professors and adcom members, etc. Basically, did everything possible to show how strong his interest was in the school. He eventually got accepted... I would recommend doing the same. Don't just call and say please accept me.. Actually go and show that you really want to be accepted. This link shows some good info also
http://www.ivyleagueadmission.com/waitbus.html
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
mba23 wrote:
Moss wrote:
If you legitimately need an internship to achieve your career goals, then forsaking it just to craft yourself as being a better fit for J-term is a really bad idea, IMO.

Like I said, I don't necessarily need an internship because my career goals are pretty defined. So maybe the J-term is the way for me to go anyway. But in your opinion, how much value added is an internship in terms of helping you to get a job upon graduation?

I believe that securing a competitive internship in my industry will be the single most important thing I do to position myself for post-graduate recruitment. What else could possibly be more of a value add than an internship? Could the classroom experience really help you more than on-the-job experience? Could you really come up with better evidence of you being able to hack it in your field than having one firm kick the tires for 3 months and still want you back? Is there a better way to prepare for interviews than to do the job for a summer? Is there a better way to make connections in your industry than to be in that industry? Not only that, but if you start J-term you miss out on all the first year fall recruiting events, which in and of themselves are great for establishing a network for getting that post-grad job.

And you may find that you hate the field you intended on recruiting into! What a small opportunity cost you paid for that information -- just 1 summer -- and you get a whole 9 more months to figure out what you want to do instead. If you started full time in a career you hate you may be stuck in that job for awhile and possibly have to take the first thing that comes along -- there won't be any information sessions out in the real world.

The internship isn't to help you define your career goals -- you should already know that (essay #1!). The internship is to help you reach your career goals.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
tiggy wrote:
I just got my ding today as well. I am really crushed.

700 GMAT / 3.9 GPA from top 10 US university / restructuring investment banking experience.

I did apply in early February so not sure if that is what hurt me. I was an idiot and did not know about the effective December "deadline". Does anyone have any feedback? Should I re-apply? How much can I realistically expect to change/improve over the summer?

Thanks in advance.

Applying in february(after Jan 5 for that matter) is like applying R3 to other schools. I don't understand why that is so hard for many to understand.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 20:39
This post received
KUDOS
Long time lurker here that felt obligated to boost morale here on the board. I got an acceptance call today, so there is no reason to lose hope.

Applied: Jan 2
Interviewed: Feb 27
Complete: March 11

Good luck everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
zisis wrote:
might sound silly but does anyone believe there is a chance for getting in if anyone applies from this point onwards?

From today, you have 20 days to apply, so undoubtedly your app and recommendations will be rushed. Considering it seems like most of the class is filled, unless your credentials are exceptional, I wouldn't waste my money, my time, nor want to have the status as a reapplicant for next year.

I would suggest applying ED or J-term for 2012 if possible.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, CBS (Admit), LBS (Admit)

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
Don't lose hope everyone! I just got accepted!

submitted 1/5 (something like 1 minute before midnight)
under review 1/21
interview invite 3/3
interview 3/15
complete 3/16
accepted 3/28

International / 29 / M / 3.9 / 730 / International / 5.5 yrs (Consulting + PE)

Just wanted to thank everyone for keeping me company over this very long wait!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, CBS

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
gcap wrote:
RayRayFrmDaBlok wrote:
Anyone alive? Are we still on life support?? Will we hear anything from CBS this week???

i've pretty much written off my chances at cbs. i applied on 12/10, interviewed on 1/14, interview complete on 1/18, and i still don't have an answer. i haven't been able to get additional information about my status on the phone. maybe the 19th week will be the charm haha. i'm certainly not holding my breath. i stopped holding it in early feb.

and after all that, i just got in (in the 19th week of waiting). if you're still waiting for an answer, keep up the hope. my experience is proof that you really can get an answer at any time.

applied: 12/10
interview invite: 1/4
interview: 1/14
interview complete: 1/18
accepted: 4/20
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 17:50
This post received
KUDOS
A long wait, but I'm in (with $$)!

My dates:
Submitted: 1/4
Invite: 2/16
Interview: 2/24
Complete: 3/1
Accepted: 4/20

To those still waiting, don't give up hope!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 07:19
It seems that indeed the new cycle is underway.

What should we think about the new CBS Strategy in terms of essays and deadlines ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 07:22
Hey lawgonebusiness.... good thought...

Hope to see a lot of activity on this thread soon
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 07:46
hazay wrote:
It seems that indeed the new cycle is underway.

What should we think about the new CBS Strategy in terms of essays and deadlines ?

What is the new strategy?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 07:51
I guess CBS just wants to be more personal in its admission process by getting rid of the previous two essays and putting a very broad and personal essay topic.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 08:08
lawgonebusiness wrote:
I guess CBS just wants to be more personal in its admission process by getting rid of the previous two essays and putting a very broad and personal essay topic.

Why not simply add this (interesting btw) new question to the ones of last year ? It would have make a well balanced set of essays dont you think ?

2 essays about professional achievements have been cut off, just like that. CBS wants to lure in younger applicants with less professional/leadership achievement ?

What about Master Class, the epitome at Columbia ? I love this program, and I think it was a terrific signature essay for CBS. A strong school deserves a strong signature essay. So yes I am a bit disappointed.

Wharton has published the last essays as last year. Solid, well balanced, self reflective.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 09:05
Well, I had prepared for three essays before the application came online. I was surprised to see that there are only 2 essays required. However, I modified my first essay to incorporate Master Class just to make sure that I cover the base. The second essay actually is much harder than the failure essay, since you really have to dig deeper and be specific without the guideline provided in the previous failure essay. Well, I think columbia's elimination of non-consignor loans for international students is making it move more aggressively towards accepting people early and for a long period of time. Last year's international student percentage is only 38%, down from 43% the year before, and I believe the class of 2012 has an even lower percentage.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 09:24
lawgonebusiness wrote:
The second essay actually is much harder than the failure essay, since you really have to dig deeper and be specific without the guideline provided in the previous failure essay.

Very deceptive indeed.

lawgonebusiness wrote:
Well, I think columbia's elimination of non-consignor loans for international students is making it move more aggressively towards accepting people early and for a long period of time. Last year's international student percentage is only 38%, down from 43% the year before, and I believe the class of 2012 has an even lower percentage.

Interesting Theory.
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
WE 1: Tech Consulting

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 09:45
I'm surprised by the overall length of what they are asking for in the essays. Two essays with a maximum of only 1250 words is not a lot of space to get a lot of detail about who we are, etc. Could this mean they are placing more emphasis on other parts of the application, say the interview, to gauge an applicant's desirability?
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!   [#permalink] 16 May 2010, 09:45