Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
Another ED applicant here.

Essay #1 is straight-forward why MBA/why Columbia question, but essay #2 is very difficult, I think. First, it is 500 words and second, I gotta tell a good story that covers not only "me" but also "my personal interests" since the topic specifically has "AND" between those two. :x

What hazay said makes sense. It I can send it in by July, the decision, good or bad, will come before other school's deadline - I can either save money or pressure myself with more motivation :-D Kinda waiting for admission consultant websites to kinda "analyze" the topic and give guidances on how to attack.

However, I'm not sure eliminating the official review starting date will increase applicant pool for ED though.

Good to see this thread. I will be in this thread A LOT since CBS is my 1st choice :P
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 19 May 2010, 11:58
This post received
KUDOS
Columbia are doing 500 word essays now? Way to pick a trick from Downtown. Guess they are reacting to the rankings saying the other school is doing something good...

While 1250 words isn't exactly a lot, it certainly ought to be enough. The worst thing to adapt to in business school is to have four people write a paper that is double line spaced, 12 point typeface on one sheet of A4. That is the reasoning behind short essays (that and thousands of applicants with AdCom not wanting to read war and peace.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 00:46
This post received
KUDOS
lawgonebusiness wrote:
chostein wrote:
Can't believe I'm asking this Q this early but,

lawgonebusiness, any words yet? :P I really wonder what the turnaround time would be for early ED submission.

redevil, Oh yes. Sounds so simple, but only if I can narrow down from the 1,000+ qualitifies that I think Columbia is looking for.

I'm already getting consumed, and it's only May :)

Still "being printed and prepared for review"

Is that a 1980's printer they're using? Your app can't be THAT long :P
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 18:44
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck to everyone applying to CBS this season! I was in your shoes a year ago and know how it feels. I initially applied in the Spring of 2009 during Regular Decision, was dinged after interview, and then I reapplied in Fall 2009 ED and was admitted. If anyone here is re-applying, please feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to offer my advice/guidance.

Everyone else: make sure you know the school's resources and what makes it unique, reach out to current students/club officers/Hermes society members, and submit early in whichever round you decide on!

Best,
E
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 28 May 2010, 06:34
This post received
KUDOS
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... umbia.html

That's the BusinessWeek profile for Columbia GSB. In general, you should hit up the BW profiles for every school to which you apply because they have a lot of info that can help you get a better sense of the student body before you visit and to give you some decent stats. This is the old version but the version for the 2010 admits probably won't come out until after you've submitted your ED app for 2011.

On the first page, it's reported that 11% of apps in 2009 were re-apps and, of those, 20% were admitted. In total, 15% of apps were offered admission. To pull those into raw numbers:

6,885 apps x ~11% re-apps = ~757 re-applicants
~757 re-apps x 20% accept rate for re-apps = ~ 151 accepted re-applicants

6,885 apps x ~15% total admit rate = ~1033 students offered admission in 2009

~151 re-apps offered admission/~1033 total offers = re-applicants were approx 15% of last year's incoming class (assuming that re-applicants accepted their admission offers at the same rate as first time applicants, something that might not actually be true)

Based on the above, you could say that Columbia is relatively more receptive to re-applicants than many other schools.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia Business School
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 15:44
This post received
KUDOS
Hi mtmba,

It's a tough spot! I am definitely going to wait this one out and submit my reapp as soon as I find out if I'm dinged. The crazy thing is that my reapp will have to be complete by the time that I receive notification in order to reapply in time if necessary (which means I have to work on it now, before I know if I'm even dinged). What are your thoughts? I hope they don't make us wait until Aug 15th...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 11:08
This post received
KUDOS
I agree

Last edited by hazay on 13 Aug 2010, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 193 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
yeah i am chugging along too... done with most part of app except final rev of essay and rec (which should be done this weekend). At this stage a lot of schools dont have applications out and some dont even have essays out so it kinda sucks.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 23:10
This post received
KUDOS
drewbrees wrote:
good to see a lot of early cbs chatter...

like a few others on this thread, i am also still on the waitlist for the fall intake. i am trying to weigh the pros and cons of pulling my app (thus being early in the J-term field of applicants) vs. waiting it out and potentially applying to J-term later (i.e., july or august).

any thoughts would be really helpful and much appeciated, feel free to send me personal msg

Got my best friend actually at CBS, he was in the same position as yours. He got waitlisted, then dinged, re-applyed for J-term and admitted right away.

Not much of a stats, I know, but I think bottom line is that (i) you can already prepare your re-app and submit it in August in case you get eventually dinged (hope not), (ii) J-Term is not as appealing as full MBA, the activity is not even close to that you saw in RD so applying in the next two months should not make much of a difference, especially if you consider that almost all of the applicants for J-term now were probably dinged on RD (so in a way less sexy than your waitlist profile) and (iii) I believe you do not want to send out a "quit" signal, even if it is made in order to re-apply.

Hope that helped

Frangar non flectar.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Col ED, Booth, NYU
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 08:21
This post received
KUDOS
alcyber9 wrote:
...Is it be reasonable to say that applications for ED Sep 11 intake would face less severe competition than applications for Jan 11 intake?

I remember someone asking this question at the Information Session that I went to and he really pushed the AdCom for a straight answer.

She didn't budge.

I believe her answer was along the lines of apply to the stream that makes sense for your career goals. So, if you're a career switcher, you'll need to come up with a strong reason to apply for J-Term and forego the internship. Likewise, if you are being sponsored by your company and returning to your company upon completion of your MBA then you'll need a good explaination for applying to ED in your essays.

This makes sense to me and if (more like when) I get dinged from Columbia, the last thing on my mind will be "damn, I should have applied J-Term instead of ED", it'll be more like "damn, I should have developed more substantial ECs that I cared about and could take leadership roles in".

Oh yeah, sign me up for ED for roll call purposes.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 09:08
This post received
KUDOS
osdihg wrote:
If I apply to J-term now and get accepted, when would I begin? 2011 or 2012? 2012 right?

Their site seems to imply 2011.

osdihg wrote:
Are the J-term applications available now? If so, are they rolling like the ED applications?

Yes, it looks like it is available and judging by last year's thread it looks like rolling admissions.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 05:56
This post received
KUDOS
lonewolf wrote:
Guys I am currently working on the Columbia application and run across the letter of recommendation section. It looks like they are a set of 9 questions to be answered. I was wondering if one should just answer those specific questions or actually provide a full letter or both.

Can anyone help provide some insights?

Also would this kind of question be okay to ask the adcom?

The directions in the document provided by CBS to recommenders state:

"Please enter your responses in the allotted space below. Once you have completed this recommendation, please log into the recommendation website and upload this document in the ‘Questions’ section."

This seems pretty specific, so I'd imagine it's best to follow the directions and just answer the questions.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 06:24
This post received
KUDOS
Marescotti wrote:
AppHappy wrote:

but almost a whole month with no movement for you and marescotti is somewhat surprising.

quick question: i'm headed to nyc for some class visits on thursday. aside from registering to get a name tag before i go to the classes, is there anything else i'm supposed to do to make sure i get the credit for visiting campus?

I think that for my application one month with no movement is average, I'm a reapplicant and I've already been interviewed thus the only movement I'm expecting is a definitive feedback. As per LGB, although I fully understand how hard the waiting game can be I think that it would have been strange to get some movement before now.

If you really think about it it make sense, they make a huge selection before interview as only some 35% of the applicants get an invite (and only half of them get admitted).

As per campus visit, other than attending classes I think it make sense to drop by the adcom to have a brief chat with some people there.

Another thing you can do is to attend an info session with other prospective students but you have to check the available dates on the web-site (I actually skipped this last part because I had to fly back home...)

Most alum interviewers are not available in the summer anyway. So I think the interview invites will either come out early july or probably towards the end of august, which really makes the whole process way too long.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
lawgonebusiness wrote:
Marescotti wrote:
chostein wrote:
I guess even though adcom didn't specify "review start date", it is pretty much same as usual, 8/16 or around that time.

Also for J-Term?

If that's the case, why would they even bother opening the app so early? I think the review date must be earlier than 8/16. It probably just takes longer to get a result.

I recall this being posted elsewhere, but Christina S. (evidently a representative of CBS adcom) posted on BW:

"We will indeed begin reviewing January 2011 and September ED 2011 applications as soon as they are submitted and determined to be complete. We will begin reviewing September Regular Decision 2011 applications in December."

http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=57996

Taking her at her word, it sounds like they don't wait until 8/16 or some other date to begin review of ED apps.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
amaterasu wrote:
Hi, there
What I did not get is that for the entry in September, except the early decision, there are two options which are (or maybe one because I did not understand the merit fellowship consideration deadline);

Merit fellowship consideration deadline: January 5, 2011

Regular Decision application deadline: April 13, 2011.

So, if I do not choose the ED path, for a entry in September would I be eligible for a fellowship ?

You have to submit by Jan 5, 2011 if you want to be considered for merit fellowship, regardless of RD or ED. If merit fellowship is not an issue for you, then you can either do ED or RD and for this latter you can submit until Apr 13, 2011 (though one piece of an advice is to submit way before Jan 5 even if you're going down the RD road).

schnellv wrote:
anyone know how important GPA is in the whole package for CBS?
2.7 and 3.3 for me according to the cal. method on CBS website. Will it be major problem?

Also, if my career goal is not related with Finance, what the chance to get an interview/ even a place at CBS?

Thanks in advance.

As per tests and GPA you should check latest class profile (and look for top 80%).

As per finance career, I think that B-School are more concerned with alumni employment rates and post MBA salaries. Given the particular times we are living in I presume they won't give you a minus if you're not interested in a finance career as long as you are trying to have a career in a "solid" sector where you won't have problem getting a job and a good salary. But again, that's just my though.

Any movement today? Another friend of mine got an interview invite on friday, luckly enough I don't have to receive one myself, I'm already way too stressed ...

Frangar non flectar.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 07:14
This post received
KUDOS
Marescotti wrote:
amaterasu wrote:
Hi, there
What I did not get is that for the entry in September, except the early decision, there are two options which are (or maybe one because I did not understand the merit fellowship consideration deadline);

Merit fellowship consideration deadline: January 5, 2011

Regular Decision application deadline: April 13, 2011.

So, if I do not choose the ED path, for a entry in September would I be eligible for a fellowship ?

You have to submit by Jan 5, 2011 if you want to be considered for merit fellowship, regardless of RD or ED. If merit fellowship is not an issue for you, then you can either do ED or RD and for this latter you can submit until Apr 13, 2011 (though one piece of an advice is to submit way before Jan 5 even if you're going down the RD road).

schnellv wrote:
anyone know how important GPA is in the whole package for CBS?
2.7 and 3.3 for me according to the cal. method on CBS website. Will it be major problem?

Also, if my career goal is not related with Finance, what the chance to get an interview/ even a place at CBS?

Thanks in advance.

As per tests and GPA you should check latest class profile (and look for top 80%).

As per finance career, I think that B-School are more concerned with alumni employment rates and post MBA salaries. Given the particular times we are living in I presume they won't give you a minus if you're not interested in a finance career as long as you are trying to have a career in a "solid" sector where you won't have problem getting a job and a good salary. But again, that's just my though.

Any movement today? Another friend of mine got an interview invite on friday, luckly enough I don't have to receive one myself, I'm already way too stressed ...

Another J-term applicant ?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
martinezt wrote:
If I apply ED and am accepted, will there be any wiggle room to back out of the committment to Columbia if I couldn't manage to arrange the funds ?

I'm just going to post Alex's (from MBA Apply) excellent response to a similar question:

Alex's Answer

It looks like you'd have to pay the $6000 regardless.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 190 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
cpaswitcher wrote:
What is this admissions video that you speak of? Do you mind posting a link?

Thanks.

http://kaptest.stream57.com/june29/

Register and then follow the link that is emailed to you.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
Marcus7 wrote:
I am submitting for the January intake in the next couple of days. I am a reapplicant who was waitlisted for the RD round for 2010. As a reapplicant, I am only submitting the one essay which has a recommended word limit of 750. I like my essay as it stands, but it is 866 words. Is this too far over the recommended limit? I have cut it down a lot already and feel as though I will have to remove some important information to make it any shorter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For information, one of my essay for CBS was over 900 words, but I come from a non-traditional background, and i got invited to interview.

But I took the risk after reading Wharton website:
Quote:
Candidates who have worked in nontraditional careers will need to explain issues in a little more detail. If that's your situation, please feel free to write more while still using your good judgment. For more information about nontraditional backgrounds and careers at Wharton, please visit Nontraditional Students.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 20:57
This post received
KUDOS
To guys,

I find adcom is holding Columbia on the road right now. Several members, including Amanda, of adcom are not in campus. So, I guess once they come back New York, they'll meet and review our applications. Yes, that's next week. So we might hear the result in a short time.
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2010, 20:57