Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 37

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
I blame myself for the ding. Because of the rolling admission process, I wanted to get my application in as soon as possible; therefore, I've missed out on some great opportunities to really discuss about myself. Nonetheless, my info would be on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of what CBS look for: 700 (Q49, V35) and a 3.1 from a UC system. I did not explain enough of my extracurriculars and the funny thing is, I did not notice that until I started working on my applications for the other schools. It's absolutely true when people say that as you move along the process, your application will get better and better. I'm already feeling a difference in terms of quality in my CBS application and my other ones, for example, Booth's. I submitted on June 30th at around 10pm, which is already July 1st on the east coast (I'm in Cali). So it took me just a day shy from 5 weeks to hear back. Good luck to you all!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
lawgonebusiness wrote:
do you guys think It will be rude for me to inquire into whether he has submitted the report?

Do you like to gamble ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
AppHappy wrote:
i just got my invitation to interview!! woohoo!!

Congrats AppHappy!! And all the best!! :)

BTW did any of you guys notice that the CBS application has a typo. They have spelt Responsibilities wrong multiple times in "Duties/Responsibilties" on the "employment" section. Pretty funny :lol:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
FYI, I submitted mine after the LA event past Monday for Sept ED. Then I received TWO status change e-mail. I thought I was the man, but NO. It was just telling me mine is under review :-D devious indeed.

But still, speculation will only make you crazier. I know we are crazy about CBS enough to 1. apply ED and 2. submit wayyyy before October deadline. I think unless you've finished your interview and your review is in, you shouldn't bet on getting decision before October. In other words, let's tame the craziness with prepping other apps.

And not trying to nag, but if you join CBS thread with one of those "any advice for me?" "what do I do?", please be kind to provide answers for other questions in the future and be a continuing participant. One thing that bothers me is that people just pop up out of nowhere and "long time lurker, thanx for the info. yeah, I got admitted. Cya in CBS" To me, that's just boasting. Good for you, but honestly, I don't wanna see you even if I get admitted.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 15

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Guys,

Just interviewed today.

Interviewer: Really friendly guy. I searched through all the names on the CBS interviewer list and I found him to be the most compatible with my career goals. And luckily he was also a J-Term! Overall, he was super down to earth and made the interview overall casual.

Formalities So I guess the interview process now requires ID's. I usually leave a lot of unnecessary things (cell phone, computer, etc) in my car. So don't forget your ID's. We joked around about that, I guess in the past people have paid others to interview.

The interview

1. He had a copy of my resume and asked me to walk through it and explain "why mba" "why columbia" etc. As I highlighted each point he asked interesting questions. For ex. I was the head of the judicial board in my fraternity. And he asked me about any crazy experiences I have had. Overall we spent a good 1/2 on non-formal questions, things relating to my startup, the VC firm that invested in us, etc. We also talked about foods we liked, hobbies, etc.

2. He brought out the printout of what CBS sent him to ask (he joked how it was such a formal process)

1. Describe an ethical dilemma you faced.
2. Tell me about a leadership experience
3. What other schools are you applying to? (he also said, would you go to columbia and answered without hesitation "yes, of course"

He only asked a few formal questions and then he went over his experience at CBS. It was great to have someone with a similar career interview since he said "a lot of what I see you in is where i was when i was applying to CBS".

3. I asked him about how he benefited most from CBS, the networking strength in West Coast and also why he chose his current career. Then as the convo progressed, I asked him about his fav city in Europe (since he traveled) and we talked and joked around about that.

In the end, he said I would be a great fit for CBS. My goals are clear and he has no doubt that I stand to benefit from an MBA at CBS. Also talking to him really strengthened my drive to go to CBS.

my 2 cents

1. Find someone similar to your career or sector (it really helps to relate)
2. Be prepared to give a story in every aspect of your resume.
3. Bring an ID (hah)
4. Try and relate to your interviewer as much as possible. I was quite nervous at first but as soon as we began talking i eased up.

So i guess rumors are CBS should give out notices this week or next. It's out of my hands now.

Best of luck to everyone else interviewing!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia Business School '2013

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
The next week is Yom Kippur. Might as well wait until after New Years!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS
I took the liberty of adding some summary statistics to the spreadsheet. Interestingly, the data suggest that if you're going to be dinged without interview it will happen 32-34 days after submission. Of course, that's based on a sample of 3 so the predictive value may be limited ;)

Last edited by brainhurt on 15 Sep 2010, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 18:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys, so I had my interview with someone from admissions today, and it went incredibly well. It turned into more of a conversation, which was great. I was able to open up and crack a few jokes, and we talked about many things unrelated to Bschool.

Here are some questions I was asked:
1. Tell me about your choice to attend Cornell
2. What made you move to LA?
3. What kind of industries did you work with in consulting?
4. Why healthcare private equity?
5. In your app, you talk about start-ups and how you want to enter PE, so what do you want to do?
6 (Follow up). So, what kind of PE shop do you want to work with?
7. If IBD after Bschool doesn't work out, then what?
8. What are your thoughts on consulting?
9. (Best Q): you have alot on your resume. What do you think it leaves out about you?
10. What role did you play in the goldman sachs close?
11. how did the company change?

these questions were very very specific, which makes sense since she's read all my essays and had my app.

She made comments like "you clearly know what you want to do" and "you clearly know why you want to go to Columbia".

She had one last question for me, and that was where my nickname came from. She asked that out of personal interest. We also talked about the CBS follies, and sports injuries.

My tip: be yourself! Make it a conversation. Enjoy the conversation and it will pay off.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
lawgonebusiness wrote:
the spreadsheet is closed for editing by anonymous users.

Please use the form link below to initially enter your stats.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewfor ... TFU5NEE6MQ

If you need to change anything or add more dates to your profile, please PM brainhurt.

thanks everyone!

I've made some formatting changes and fixed the summary stats in the spreadsheet. Any thoughts/concerns?

brainhurt wrote:
One thought on the spreadsheet. I think it makes sense that only people who have submitted their info to the spreadsheet should have access to it. I don't know if this is doable in GoogleDocs -- does anyone know?

Thoughts?

Also, what do you all think about restricting access to the spreadsheet to those who have contributed to it? The only hitch with this is if we do it, you will need a gmail/Google account to be added to the access list.

I do think it's more fair if those who contribute reap the benefits, but I'm not sure if the account issue is too much of a hurdle.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
At the risk of overanalyzing I added a field to record the day of the week of decisions.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Karth - If you go back a few pages on the thread, I submitted my interview questions on a post. It tends to be casual and nothing should come as a surprise. Check out Clearadmit interview reports as well.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 295

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 07:16
This post received
KUDOS
brainhurt wrote:
gkumar wrote:
Mary Miller was in Chicago for an info session on Monday. She was very nice and the alumni there provided great insights into specific areas of Columbia.

Any intel on admissions? Any other interesting info come out?

She stressed the honor code for ED and told how CBS checked blogs to see if an applicant who received an offer should withdraw his applications. Otherwise that offer might be rescinded. Just FYI.

She also spoke highly of Professor Greenwald and the international tours. No useful info about adcom was gleaned from my end other than 50-100 applications are being sent every week. Right before deadlines, thousands of applications are expected so she encouraged to apply early.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
The best piece of advice I can give is to reach out and just research the hell out of the school. Before I applied, I spoke with the director the healthcare program, and discussed my conversation with him in my essays and during the interview. I also did research on things that are somewhat unique to CBS: the follies, the rugby team - and met with people from both.

CBS wants applicants who really badly want to attend its program. It's understandable to see why CBS has early decision: to commit applicants who may be competitive at H, S, W, so it's imperative that you show exactly why CBS is the school for you.

So attend a few events, read the entire website, and go on a few student blogs. It never hurts. Bschool is beyond a two year program. It's the beginning of a lifelong affiliation with a brand and a network.

Sucks to see guys rejected today, but it's a great time to determine why this app did not work, and how your apps can be tailored to help you get in someplace else that may be a better fit.

Good luck!

Last edited by SaMoCU on 04 Oct 2010, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 63

Premium Member
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 05:44
This post received
KUDOS
jackhrobbins wrote:
To those that get dinged:

If you don't get dinged by any of the schools you applied to, you didn't apply to good enough schools. Remember, you are trying to maximize the value of the school/s you DO get accepted at, which by definition means you'll miss on some. Don't stress, just focus that frustration into energy for the essays for subsequent applications.

I submitted on the 1st for Columbia ED, also applying to Stern, Kenan Flagler (UNC), Darden, and deciding between Fuqua (Duke) and Wharton.

Great perspective +1

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 11:12
This post received
KUDOS
bionic45 wrote:
Added. For some reason though my info is below all of the other info (including the averages, etc.) Also my GMAT is 740 not 720. Please update if you can. GPA should be 4.0. Thanks!

Ya it works that way because of the summary statistics and how the spreadsheet was initially set up. We just manually adjust it after someone inputs their info.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
ankitgarg20 wrote:
carriedinterest wrote:
wallfan wrote:
First time poster here. Just wanted to know what people's thoughts were on the word "max" for the essays. Is it really a max, or can you be 10-20 words over.

Not sure how the admins look at this.

My stats are on the spreadsheet already under RMAJL.

I think a general rule of thumb is that you can be +/- 10% on word count. Any more than that and you risk giving the impression that you think your application is more worthy of the adcom's time than others'.

10%??? Wohoo...I made sure all my applications are within 1% extension of the word limits. In one case 2%...but thats it..nothing beyond that...In my opinion 10% is way too much to extend yourself into...especially when you are going over the limit.... Just a personal opinion..

I've read several articles in support of the 10% rule. For example, see:

http://blog.clearadmit.com/2005/09/admi ... rd-limits/

The reality is that 10% isn't really a noticeable difference. For a 500 word essay, it's only 50 additional words - your post contains 49 words, and took me about 10 seconds to read.

My view: if your essay is concise and well-articulated you should be fine going over the word limit (10% max!) as long as the additional information is highly relevant to your candidacy.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Columbia students don't brush their teeth or take showers! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 17:40
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 03:58
This post received
KUDOS
almostfamous wrote:
jmtomaz wrote:
Got put on waitlist for term program last Monday, 10/17.

Waitlisters, you guys come accross any useful waitlist strategies? I updated adcom info about changes in my job role.

Thx

Keep hanging. Waitlisted is much better than direct reject.

For improving your profile, I would employ "focus-and-attack" strategy. You identify your most weak issue in your profile (you should know what it is), and try to improve that weakness as much as possible. For instance, if your GMAT score was not outstanding, you may retake the test. If I were you, I may even focus on one of the two sections of the test, depending which one (quant or verbal) was less than outstanding in my current score. This works, because your test score is obviously good enough to be waitlisted, but if one of the sections was weaker than your max capacity, you can now put your full energy to improve that.

BTW, I'm a bit curious to know, if CBS waitlist people after interview, or without one? Have you been waitlisted after interview?

J. M. Tomaz,

Welcome to the purgatory. I have been in the waitlist for a while, and would like to share what I've learned.

1) Most people tell you to send additional material. I too have done so.

2) CBS says you shouldn't:
http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/14/busine ... -list.html
(Yes, Linda has left, but I believe this new orientation stands)

3) The question that is killing me is also "How many spots are left?". In spite of rumors that the class would be reduced, I still believe J-terms has an intake of 180 (3 x 60) students every year (I think I saw this in the application instructions or something). The facebook of supposedly approved J-termers has 82 members, but I am not sure if these people were actually accepted (I mean, how can the admin verify?). And even so, have all approved students adhered to the group? So, well, it's inconclusive.
http://www.facebook.com/gettingstarted. ... 6131775578

Anyways, there are plenty of intl students (like myself), who need to take their visa, that have been waitlisted or haven't heard from admissions yet, maybe that tells us something (if you figure out please let me know, lol).

4) Related to #3, this is an interesting article on waitlist. This is what I believe, especially if you consider that CBS faces no competition for top students in J-Term (it is the only IVY/M7 program to offer this option), so they probably will take their time reviewing ALL applications that came in until the Oct 6th deadline before taking their decision.
http://www.whitefieldconsulting.com/wordpress/?p=3200

Hope this helps getting you more anxious :wink:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
a

Last edited by co2012 on 16 Mar 2012, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
give 'em a call.
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2010, 10:34