Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted student here taking q's.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia 2013 (accepted)
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 20:30
This post received
KUDOS
Anybody notice the very high percentage of admits among gmatclub ED applicants that interviewed? The spreadsheet says only 4 were deferred, 1 was denied..all the rest were admitted. This seems strange, but as a guy waiting for an answer after his interview makes me optimistic. Also, I'm on gmatclub.com on Saturday night. Terrible.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2010, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
One thing that I've noticed is that the data/student profiles on these forums are skewed. There are a lot of lurkers! So I'd take the data w grain of salt!
7K apply to CBS. Hardly 200 are here!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia 2013 (accepted)
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 14:58
This post received
KUDOS
I just wired my $6000 deposit to Columbia. Included a note: "I choose to accept your invite for admission." I haven't been admitted yet, but figured a little aggression couldn't hurt.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 20:49
This post received
KUDOS
almostfamous wrote:
When I think about it, I paid $200+ to pour my heart and declare my eternal love and commitment to a school, only to be told that I am not good enough for them. This must be the craziest thing I have ever done!

...not dinged yet, but as time passes, I cannot get rid of this idea of having done something truly crazy and illogical...

Consider it a date. You pay for dinner, and you're not sure how it's going to end. It's a risk you take. But only here, you decide if it's a good match through your essays, instead of a 2-3 hr long interview.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
I just got my call @11am today!!! Best of luck to everyone else :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
I was just placed on the waitlist. I'm applying for J-term. Is this a positive sign? I understand that the waitlist is better than an outright rejection but do people at CBS generally come off the list? Does anyone have any advice on what to do next?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
130 wrote:
MrsVigga wrote:
I just got my call @11am today!!! Best of luck to everyone else :)

Congratulation Vigga,

when did you complete your interview?

Thanks for all the congrats - I hope such nice people are a part of the class with me!

I interviewed 10/25, app went complete 10/29, follow-up adcom call 11/9, admit 11/11

only 25 people on the class of 2013 fb page, so PLENTY of room for you all - don't lose hope!! :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 17:18
This post received
KUDOS
Got a rejection email today :( . Interviewed on 11/4 and application complete on 11/9. Good luck to everyone else.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 06:32
This post received
KUDOS
i'm waiting also...10/6 submit, approximately 10/15 under review...haven't heard anything

looking above though, there was someone submitting 10/5 that just got the interview...I think that they probably are just getting to the majority of the 10/1-10/6 applicants as there are only 2 10/5 or 10/6 applicants on the spreadsheets that have gotten interview invites (per the spreadsheet)

keep up hope...i'm tyring to
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
WE 1: Consultant

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry to hear that guys.
bonkselle23, osonipse, sangjo - if you guys don't mind, can you guys share a little bit about your background and if you guys are international applicants?

I also applied on 10/6 but I haven't heard anything so far. I'm based here in the US.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
Don't give up hope. I am in a similar position. Been under review since Oct 11th. No interview. I think a lot of qualified applicants are still waiting. The wait is frustrating, but you are not alone.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 19:43
This post received
KUDOS
Really appreciate those who took time updating on this board. I especially admire those who updated with their "Ding"; I think it is an indication of your true confidence ( I might not have this courage to do so). Good luck to everyone. May force be with us.

mbabound2013 wrote:
Hi guys,

Don't lose hope! I submitted my application on 10/6, went under review on 10/18 and just got my interview invite today (11/22).
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
stormbringer wrote:
There are no 'waitlists' yet; only deferrals.

The letter essentially goes like this - starts off with the usual spiel on how they value your loyalty etc. and how there are only so many spots. However, because your application was good, they have deferred making a decision until 1 Feb 2011 though they can contact you anytime. If you am still interested in being considered, you should let them know and that they welcome additional materials to strengthen your candidacy.

So I wrote to them to still consider my application and that is when they wrote back to say 'cool, you have been released from the ED commitment' implying that I am now an RD applicant. So this is not a waitlist situation because being accepted in not contingent upon others dropping out; it depends on how my application compares with all the new applications coming in now in RD (though only till Feb 1).

You are right. However, the other ED applicant I spoke to had a much sooner date on his letter (sometime in December) that he would hear by. Considering they don't start reviewing RD applications until mid-Dec, this scenario is essentially an ED waitlist because it is contingent upon the ED pool, for which the deadline has already passed.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
lunasea29 wrote:
I got a voicemail from Columbia asking me to callback. Is this to get more info, ask me more questions to evaluate my candidacy? Because if they were to give me an offer, they could just say that in the voicemail. What do you think?

The intelligent thing would be to call them back instead of posting those questions here don't you think?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck '13
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 09:51
This post received
KUDOS
smusCOX2 that's really not necessary. This is a forum to support each other. Even if you think it's a stupid question, it's not stupid to the person asking it. You don't need to put them down.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
sparkles279 wrote:
smusCOX2 that's really not necessary. This is a forum to support each other. Even if you think it's a stupid question, it's not stupid to the person asking it. You don't need to put them down.

Agreed. Some people who received request for followup calls may have to re-explain their motivations to do an MBA and their backup plans. So it may not just be just an acceptance call. No harm in being informed and soliciting advice before talking with people who hold power to make life-changing decisions.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck '13
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
I just got invited to interview!!!! I had given up, but for those of you still waiting, it's not too late!
1 KUDOS received
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 93 [1] , given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
smusCOX2 wrote:
lunasea29 wrote:
I got a voicemail from Columbia asking me to callback. Is this to get more info, ask me more questions to evaluate my candidacy? Because if they were to give me an offer, they could just say that in the voicemail. What do you think?

The intelligent thing would be to call them back instead of posting those questions here don't you think?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 17:44
This post received
KUDOS
sparkles279 wrote:

sparkles279, gkumar, nink, vwjetty, cg86 and everyone else
Thank you for your advice and support!
I could only hope that the people I go to school with are as nice and supportive as the folks here:)
Just to update you guys, I called back and basically was told that I have been admitted!

Now, I have a question about the deposits for those of you who already paid, do I wire the money or send them a cheque, how does this work? If I am late say by a day or two to make my deposits since I need to pull my funds together (it's a large sum of money, I didn't know I would hear back so soon, since everyone was waiting for such a long time after their interview went complete), would that be okay? If I just tell admissions this situation? Especially people who has been in this situation, I would really appreciate your insights!

Meanwhile, all I want to say is Keep Faith to those of you still waiting. You have to believe that things will work out. I had this thought even at the beginning of the process that things will work out. It's great we have this community here. It's hard in real life for me since I have no other friends doing this right now, so it's always great to come to gmatclub and read about other people's experiences. It's kept me sane during this process. Anyhoo, I am getting way to emo here, so I will stop:)
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2010, 17:44