Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Dec 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 690 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
minime2 wrote:
I do however feel that we are unnecessarily being harsh on smus and I actually agree with him/her. This forum provides great support for all of us however we are all smart accomplished people and hope to take up important positions in the future. I think we should have the confidence to deal with a small matter of responding to a phone call without consultation.

We have all pulled up our friends/siblings when they display a lack of confidence. Smus words were harsh but there was probably something for lunasea29 to learn there. Not all feedback will be sweet moreso after b-school. :)

You do realize that we are not stupid and we know that you (minime2) are also smusCOX2 and you have various other user names (smusCOX, mustangpower, iplayrugby, etc). So stop defending yourself.

You are not the first troll I dealt with.
1 KUDOS received
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 71

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 20:37
This post received
KUDOS
nink wrote:
minime2 wrote:
I do however feel that we are unnecessarily being harsh on smus and I actually agree with him/her. This forum provides great support for all of us however we are all smart accomplished people and hope to take up important positions in the future. I think we should have the confidence to deal with a small matter of responding to a phone call without consultation.

We have all pulled up our friends/siblings when they display a lack of confidence. Smus words were harsh but there was probably something for lunasea29 to learn there. Not all feedback will be sweet moreso after b-school. :)

You do realize that we are not stupid and we know that you (minime2) are also smusCOX2 and you have various other user names (smusCOX, mustangpower, iplayrugby, etc). So stop defending yourself.

You are not the first troll I dealt with.

where to begin wow. umm....ok well here we go. clearly you have no respect for this forum, yourself, or your own integrity. Because if you did, you'd be doing something a little more productive than trolling around playing "minime" on here. So in essence, you provide absolutely no value on this forum/society/world what-so-ever. You're rude, deceitful, and a clear mockery to everyone.

How does that make you feel....mustangpower....oh wait, you're minime2...nope wrong again, iplayrugby. I mean I just put it in cold harsh English words for you - you're pathetic.

On a side note, did you really get a 770 on your GMAT or is that another trollin' fantasy of yours? If so, you're words do me no justice anymore. Post it up - and don't try to photoshop it because I'm a pro at photoshop and can spot it a mile away. If you had any dignity in you left at all at this point, you'd make a comeback and prove us all wrong. the clock is tickin' and we're not gettin' any younger....
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2010, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
lunasea29 wrote:
sparkles279 wrote:
smusCOX2 that's really not necessary. This is a forum to support each other. Even if you think it's a stupid question, it's not stupid to the person asking it. You don't need to put them down.

sparkles279, gkumar, nink, vwjetty, cg86 and everyone else
Thank you for your advice and support!
I could only hope that the people I go to school with are as nice and supportive as the folks here:)
Just to update you guys, I called back and basically was told that I have been admitted!

Now, I have a question about the deposits for those of you who already paid, do I wire the money or send them a cheque, how does this work? If I am late say by a day or two to make my deposits since I need to pull my funds together (it's a large sum of money, I didn't know I would hear back so soon, since everyone was waiting for such a long time after their interview went complete), would that be okay? If I just tell admissions this situation? Especially people who has been in this situation, I would really appreciate your insights!

Meanwhile, all I want to say is Keep Faith to those of you still waiting. You have to believe that things will work out. I had this thought even at the beginning of the process that things will work out. It's great we have this community here. It's hard in real life for me since I have no other friends doing this right now, so it's always great to come to gmatclub and read about other people's experiences. It's kept me sane during this process. Anyhoo, I am getting way to emo here, so I will stop:)

I think they only accept checks from us banks. If you are overseas, it's better off for you to wire the money. I dunno how late will be considered too late. For that you have to call CBS and find out. Congrats!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 23:17
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is a fantastic overview of the school: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57665/How%20To% ... 01111e.pdf
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3Y IB
WE 2: 3Y Non-profit Healthcare
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 32

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 10:58
This post received
KUDOS
2011App wrote:
WilfulCruiser wrote:
RD apps under review

Did your application go under review?

I did not receive an email from Columbia but I checked my status and it now says Under Review for RD
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 11:12
This post received
KUDOS
It's not saying "I want to become a VP of such and such company" will get you through the door. My essays never had that. Rather, they explained my trajectory, why it made sense and why it was reasonable.

My trajectory:
Worked at a bulge in S&T, realized that I wanted to learn more about a company quantitatively and qualitatively and I wanted to help create solutions to complex problems. So I moved to consulting.

In consulting, I worked on a great number of M&A and HR related issues and worked with large companies across a broad range of industries. Consulting doesn't really add significant value besides acting as a third party advisory. So, I wanted to be in a position where I could have more skin in the game and - like consulting - develop a broad set of skills. So a start-up was the next best move.

And, in light of the healthcare reform, thought healthcare was going through a number of problems, and considering my consulting background, it was a perfect fit. So, moved to a healthcare start-up.

At the healthcare start-up, developed a passion for healthcare because it's such a unique industry and am shocked to see how inefficient it is. At the same time, we closed with Goldman becoming a portfolio company. Wanting to remain in healthcare, and wanting to be in a position where my investments can help start-ups like my employer grow structurally and financially to add value, I want to move to healthcare PE, which is why CBS is a good fit. With PE, an MBA is necessary so that's why it made sense for me.

That was very long-winded. I hope that helps.

Last edited by SaMoCU on 03 Dec 2010, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 20:37
This post received
KUDOS
neildiamond wrote:
I'm also a reg decision applicant and got an invitation to interview. I submitted right before the ED deadline, then got the "review pushed to December" email. For those who've interviewed, is the interview basically the why Columbia, why now, etc. questions?

yes, basically the same why mba/columbia/now questions. I think it's important to tell the story of how bschool fits into your larger plans. One thing to note, there are 2 questions which i have heard everyone get asked, including myself: a) talk about an ethical dilemma you faced and b) talk about how you overcame adversity or shown some sort of flexibility.

mine was very friendly and relaxed, though i'm still waiting for my decision. best of luck.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
What you hypothesized was quite reasonable :) I like your summarization of "minimum qualifications required to be interesting":)

I just want to share a story of mine long time ago. When I applied for graduate school (H/Y/P) a few years ago, my classmate received an offer in January from my dream school. We all knew that each year this school recruited ONE student from my major, so I felt hopeless since the day I heard her offer. One month later, I got my offer with a distinguished fellowship, which paid more stipend than the one of my classmate. That was the only year this school recruited two students from my college.

So, nothing is impossible :)

brainfilth wrote:
I agree. I believe the few last hopefuls at the bottom of the ED barrel might be compared to the general RD lot. If yes, then those who are still awaiting interview calls are probably at the "minimum qualifications required to be interesting" level among ED candidates :P .

Edit: by the way, I didn't mean to offend anybody.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
WE 1: Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
Well - I guess my wait is over. Ding. Time to collect myself and move on.

Best of luck to the other ED applicants!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IB & PE

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 18:56
This post received
KUDOS
gopalansai wrote:
Moss wrote:
"Moss" on the spreadsheet.

guys just got a decision also: "After careful review and consideration by the Admissions Committee, we are unable to offer you admission at this time.
However, we recognize the strengths of your application and would like to defer our final decision until later in the application
cycle. Our intention is to have all early decisions finalized by February 1, 2011, but it may be communicated at any time during
the application cycle."

What does that mean? What have typically been the chances of people getting in with this response, later in the app cycle??

Pretty bummed at this point in time!!!

I got a personal reply from a member of the admissions committee when I was "deferred" back in early September (can't believe it's been that long). Basically, after being deferred, your chances of admission are now "equivalent to that of a regular decision applicant, if not slightly better." You're still in the running. You just need to sit tight, send in any updates if you feel they add to your overall package, and let things play out.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 08:02
This post received
KUDOS
ding
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 16:06
This post received
KUDOS
Got my admit call this afternoon. Submitted 10/5, under review shortly after that, interview the Friday before Thanksgiving, went complete the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, got a call from adcom with a few extra questions on Monday, and got the admit call today. Good luck to any ED applicants still waiting - I know it's painful. And good luck to all the RD applicants! Looking forward to getting to know a lot of you.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
As the focus of this thread starts to shift toward RD applicants, I've started a separate thread for deferred ED applicants:

the-cbs-2011-ed-deferred-applicants-thread-106676.html

Figured this would give us a place to voice our common concerns, answer each others' questions and track our progress in the build-up to February 1.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
RFMBA2 wrote:
So seeing that we've had two November apps receive invites, is it safe to assume that if you submitted in early October that you are toast?

Created a profile to give you a little hope (since I had mostly lost mine)...

submitted 10/6, intvw 12/2, intvw complete 12/8, accepted yesterday (12/20)
ED applicatant, US based, 700 gmat, 3 yrs WE finance, 3.9 state school

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia (enrolling), Booth (admitted), Kellogg (admitted), NYU (withdrawn)
WE 1: 3 yrs IM

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
charliedudd wrote:
one more - for the job duties/responsibilities section, are you guys & gals just copying resume bullets in or are you writing a mroe detailed narrative on accomplishments for each one? I was leaning towards copying in the 4 or 5 bullets and handling acheivements in the essays but was curious if everyone else was taking a different approach. thanks

This section gives you the opportunity to describe your responsibilities/duties, whereas your resume bullets should skip the description of your job responsibilities and strictly detail your performance highlights/achievements.

Contrast the following:
Duties paragraph: I am responsible for analyzing xyz.
On Resume: - Saved company $xx by streamlining xyz process.

I hope that helps.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
peeweeherman wrote:
I'm not quite sure what to put for the "How Will You Finance Your MBA?" portion of the application. Personally, $25k would be a realistic number (possibly more) for self resources. Is this enough? As far as private versus federal loans, I have no idea how that all works yet and am worried I'll look like an idiot if I put the remaining $85k as federal when this isn't practical. Any advice??

Thanks!
-P.W.H.

don't worry about it. just put whatever you feel like. it has no bearing on your admission. i checked with the office because i forgot to fill mine out and that is what they told me.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
josiebella wrote:
peeweeherman wrote:
I'm not quite sure what to put for the "How Will You Finance Your MBA?" portion of the application. Personally, $25k would be a realistic number (possibly more) for self resources. Is this enough? As far as private versus federal loans, I have no idea how that all works yet and am worried I'll look like an idiot if I put the remaining $85k as federal when this isn't practical. Any advice??

Thanks!
-P.W.H.

don't worry about it. just put whatever you feel like. it has no bearing on your admission. i checked with the office because i forgot to fill mine out and that is what they told me.

I intentionally left it blank. I was told at an info session that it is an optional section, included only so that you start thinking seriously about how you are going to finance your MBA. He mentioned that it's a little concerning when people who want to work in a field that isn't very lucrative, like nonprofit, and have to finance their whole MBA through loans, noting that it would be difficult for them to pay it back.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 16

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
I have a question for those who got international undergraduate degrees.

CBS application asks you to convert your international grades to a 4.0 GPA

The problem is, the country where I did my undergraduate, I had a score out of 100. I got a 71% which is top 5% of the class as top rank was 73%. Yet looking at the table CBS provides (shown below), my calculated GPA comes out to be 2.3 which I think is ridiculously low. I know they say that they are holistic and know how international grades work etc, I think this is a serious issue. Anyone in the same boat? How did you resolve/address this? Any suggestion is highly appreciated

http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnm ... /start#GPA

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 1

Re: How "binding" is the Columbia ED acceptance? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
TheDude83 wrote:
I was admitted to Columbia ED, sent them $6k as required, but am still shopping around and submitting a couple R2 apps. I know they asked that I withdraw all other applications, but if I got into HBS I would be pretty compelled to attend.

So aside from eating $6K, are there any tangible problems with bailing on CBS? Yeah it would lower their yield a bit, but they get my money and pick another highly qualified candidate from the pool.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks

I think you are doing something against the ED agreement you signed. Though there's no legal action they can seek against you, they may still rescind your offer right now if they find out that you have already submitted R2 applications. I am not making any moral judgment here. But the consequences can be two-folded. If they find out between now and the decisions of your R2 schools, they can definitely rescind your offer. If they, after the R2 result is released, find out the fact that you applied to R2 schools and but didn't get into any, then you risk being expelled anytime during your attendance at CBS. Of course the risks are entirely dependent on their knowledge of your current action.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
uprightcitizen wrote:
w103psp wrote:
goldgoldandgold wrote:
I checked mine and it is changed to Printed and prepared for review. Now is this status different from "under review" that the above posted is referring? I did not get any email by the way and I submitted Dec 31st

Yup, mine did too. I didn't get an email from Columbia regarding this change. I submitted Sunday January 2nd evening. Does this mean the application is complete or that they're going to now check for completeness after printing it?

Your application is now being printed and prepared for review.

I have the same question. Is this the last status update we will recieve before an interview invite or ding?

No - your status will change to "Under Review" before an interview invitation is issued. If any components of your application are missing, it will show "Incomplete" until all materials have been received and attached to your file (at which point your status will change to "Under Review").

From my experience in the ED round, it can take as long as 2-4 weeks to go under review, then another 2-4 weeks to receive an invitation (though others on this forum have experienced shorter waiting periods). Good luck.
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2011, 07:35