Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [6] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 06:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Columbia Business School - Class of 2013 Application Year

For Roll Call, see the following spreadsheet.

Please use the following form to add your stats to the spreadsheet.

Add your name to the list here

Spreadsheet

Prior Years Application Thread

CBS F'10 thread:
calling-all-2010-cbs-applicants-merged-78610.html

CBS F'09 thread:
calling-all-columbia-applicants-for-63151.html#p460533

Last edited by lawgonebusiness on 22 Nov 2010, 13:57, edited 40 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia 2013 (accepted)
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [4] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
To those that get dinged:

If you don't get dinged by any of the schools you applied to, you didn't apply to good enough schools. Remember, you are trying to maximize the value of the school/s you DO get accepted at, which by definition means you'll miss on some. Don't stress, just focus that frustration into energy for the essays for subsequent applications.

I submitted on the 1st for Columbia ED, also applying to Stern, Kenan Flagler (UNC), Darden, and deciding between Fuqua (Duke) and Wharton.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia (admitted), NYU (interviewed), Kellogg (interviewed), Duke (applied)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [3] , given: 2

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
oh my god....I just called CBS to ask them a question and they transferred me to an admissions officer and... I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was a deferred candidate from the early decision round
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
Beta wrote:
Columbia's process is still not clear for me.

If they say that applications are reviewed in order that they are received. How some people that sent the application after others get interview invitation before?
Wouldn't be normal for the ones that didn't get the interview be denied?

I applied 12/21/2010, and didn't hear anything. It is still under review...

Would they send me an email telling that my application was reject if that is the case, at the same time that they would send me interview invites?

Also, I am in California... How do they schedule the interviews out of campus?

thanks my forum friends!
it is very helpful to have all of you to talk about this stressing process!

Hey there,
When Columbia says they have three adcom members read each application with a chance to invite a candidate for an interview, they don't mean that they do so at the same time. For example, you may have submitted on 1/5, the app went under review 1/10, then Adcom Member #1 reads your entire app thoroughly on 1/10. If he or she passes on it (doesn't invite you), then it'll go into the pile, likely at the bottom, of Adcom Member #2. So it'll take at least another 5-10 days (and probably longer) for it to be read thoroughly by Adcom Member #2, at which point he or she can pass or invite you. This whole cycle repeats for Adcom Member #3. If you aren't invited by any of the three and you are fairly competitive, then adcom as a group might consider whether you deserve an interview.

This is why interview invites can be very quick, or can take a long time. We all know that in any group, each member has certain likes and dislikes relative to other members of the group, and this system minimizes the potential for systematic biases.

Hope this helps.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale - Current MBA Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
If accepted, I'm going to make them wait until the minute before the deadline to let them know my decision whether or not I plan to attend.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [2] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
some general thoughts / things i wish i would have known from my own app process:

- do it early. maybe not early decision if you don't want that level of commitment, but definitely early in the admissions cycle
- go to all their events, or as many as you possibly can. they regularly hold info sessions and targeted events later in the year. check their website and sign up for as many as you can, especially if you live nearby
- reach out to their current students. several of them are part of the hermes society (volunteer group for the adcom), and you can find and contact one that has similar interests as you: http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/chat.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 06:03
This post received
KUDOS
I really don't think they care so much about what your interests are. What they care is what your interests entail in terms of the qualities they are looking for.
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [2] , given: 548

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 17:14
This post received
KUDOS
Glad to see that many people are applying to CBS in the new application year. :-D

However, the roll call pg in this thread is not being managed at all. In fact, I think the member who originally started this thread misunderstood how threads are started and maintained. As a result, he/she just copied last yr's roll call data in the first post.

NOTE: I decided to update the roll call pg so it is reflected properly for this application yr.

1) Anyone wants to take over to manage the thread for CBS 2011? Let me know. (eminent?) :-D I think I can change the poster of first post in this thread....I am pretty sure I had to do this before....

2) I added only the ones that mentioned specific round that they are applying to in the roll call page. Until a new thread mod for this thread is found, please post in this thread exactly which round you are applying to if you want your name added in the roll call page.

Example:
Quote:
Early Round Applicant here. Please add me to the call page.

Thanks and good luck to all.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 4

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
usmbaquest wrote:
minime2 wrote:
mail2gaurav wrote:
I am affected by this - my language of instruction in undergrad was English but my institution is in India, where official language is not English -

Is there anyone else in the same boat ?

Well...English is the official language of India (along with Hindi). Check it out http://www.rajbhasha.gov.in/preseng.htm

English should be the principal official language and Hindi the subsidiary Official Language till 1965. After 1965, when Hindi becomes the principal official language of the Union, English should continue as the subsidiary official language.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!! we are past 1965?? When did that happen!!! I better call my family in USSR to confirm.... :lol:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [2] , given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 14:21
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call -- I'M IN!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS - Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
No. People, calm down. My god. Reading this forum is like observing a kindergarten class that just enjoyed a lunch of Pop Rocks and Red Bull Cola.

People make mistakes. What's your interviewer going to say in his report, "You know, josiebella struck me as a brilliant, engaging candidate until she put a question mark where she should have used a comma, so definitely ding this one."? No, of course not. Chill - no one is perfect.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Do the best you can. And then the hell with it. - JFK

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 7

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 08:03
This post received
KUDOS
JUST GOT THE CALL!!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia (admitted), NYU (interviewed), Kellogg (interviewed), Duke (applied)

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 2

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 13:03
This post received
KUDOS
Interestingly enough. I asked them that if I retook the GMAT when do I need to submit a new score for it to be properly considered. She took my name, put me on hold, then said - let me transfer your to an officer. and bam! I asked her 4 times if she was absolutely sure. haha
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 14:39
This post received
KUDOS
smileyface wrote:
zeustheman wrote:
Beta wrote:
Columbia's process is still not clear for me.

If they say that applications are reviewed in order that they are received. How some people that sent the application after others get interview invitation before?
Wouldn't be normal for the ones that didn't get the interview be denied?

I applied 12/21/2010, and didn't hear anything. It is still under review...

Would they send me an email telling that my application was reject if that is the case, at the same time that they would send me interview invites?

Also, I am in California... How do they schedule the interviews out of campus?

thanks my forum friends!
it is very helpful to have all of you to talk about this stressing process!

Hey there,
When Columbia says they have three adcom members read each application with a chance to invite a candidate for an interview, they don't mean that they do so at the same time. For example, you may have submitted on 1/5, the app went under review 1/10, then Adcom Member #1 reads your entire app thoroughly on 1/10. If he or she passes on it (doesn't invite you), then it'll go into the pile, likely at the bottom, of Adcom Member #2. So it'll take at least another 5-10 days (and probably longer) for it to be read thoroughly by Adcom Member #2, at which point he or she can pass or invite you. This whole cycle repeats for Adcom Member #3. If you aren't invited by any of the three and you are fairly competitive, then adcom as a group might consider whether you deserve an interview.

This is why interview invites can be very quick, or can take a long time. We all know that in any group, each member has certain likes and dislikes relative to other members of the group, and this system minimizes the potential for systematic biases.

Hope this helps.

Hi Zeus,

If the 1st reader invites for interview, does it still get a 2nd and 3rd review? Also, what is the timeline for a "fairly quick" interview invite and for a "take a long time" one? I hope this makes sense.

Hi there,
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe then that everyone on the committee reads through the application, but perhaps not as thoroughly, and largely as part of the entire Adcom decision-making review (which takes into account the results of your interview). I also think the person who invites you for your interview is sort of your biggest advocate on the Adcom, and will probably be the one who will follow up with you about any questions.

As for the timeline, it depends purely on the number of applications there are. I bet if you submitted your app between Xmas and 1/5, you could be waiting up to 8 weeks before a third person would theoretically read your app.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
:) you guys are awesome.

Yes, I got the best news possible to finish off my trip in the most exciting way imaginable. I got the admit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, I'm super stoked about it. I've been on a shoestring this whole week, but tonight, I'm going to have some drinks and celebrate properly! Too bad there is no one to help me celebrate here, but that'll come in a couple of days.

I'm super excited to be a member of the Class of 2013. See you fellow admits in April!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross or Fuqua?
WE 1: Master of Science, including Masters Thesis
WE 2: 5 years at multiple Government Contractors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [2] , given: 6

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 15:18
This post received
KUDOS
mindbullet26 wrote:

I really don't mean to rub salt on anyone's wounds, and I definitely sympathize with all of you. But I feel like I need to mention something.

I suggest looking at it from the adcom view. Now, they will never release the number of ED applicants & admits. But lets assume that for some reason there was an unusually higher number of ED applicants this year. Adcoms have responsibilities to both the applicants as well as the school. They need to make sure that applicants don't wait too long, while ensuring that the best candidates are admitted. ED candidates have an obvious advantage in that CBS clearly states ED candidates will get reviewed before RD candidates as long as they meet the deadline.

So, if there are 300 qualified ED candidates would adcom make them wait for 4 months to compare that stock to those of RD applicants from January/February? I don't think its fair to blame the adcom for the imbalance in the number of admits based on the date of submission. Based on profiles of some of the recent dings, I am sure that these people have written superb essays, had excellent recommendations, etc.. however, if (speculation...) CBS is either full or is about to be, then they also can't revoke someone's admission because a better candidate came along later either.

It is sad to see that people who seem to be superb are getting dinged. I hope that you get into the program of your dreams and that this is a blessing in disguise.

There are going to be terrific applicants getting denied everywhere. That's not the point. (FWIW, I'm still waiting to hear if I'll be interviewed) Your comparison of ED to RD isn't what I'm talking about. Of course ED applicants will be reviewed first just like RD1 candidates would be at other schools.

But the point is an ED candidate should be admitted during RD and vice versa. The only difference is supposed to be that those admitted ED must attend CBS. What we are noticing, and why some people are a little upset, is that those who applied ED or very early RD seem to have a significantly better chance of acceptance. This flies in the face of what the adcom tells us!

Finally, ( I should shut my mouth on a public forum, but whatever) this process really makes me wonder if CBS is that elite. If the school has to game the process just to improve their yield and ranking, then I have to think. I'll likely choose CBS if admitted because of the brand and it means I move 40 mins away so my wife can keep her job in the city. But from what I've heard from alumni, the facilities are bad, the professors are bad (excluding the adjuncts), there's no community, and if the school wasn't in NYC it wouldn't be so well regarded.
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [2] , given: 548

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 21:41
This post received
KUDOS
6train wrote:
As an accepted candidate to Columbia, I really hope you get dinged. Your posts are not petty, they are pathetic. To come on a public board amongst peers that are excited and committed to the chance of attending Columbia and then denegrate the school is just irresponsible and immature. Lets all be serious. Gmat club is an extremely small subset of the total application pool. To make judgements about how the admission process works based on these posts whether it be timing, essay, etc. etc. is extremely short sighted and frankly, stupid. The process is spelled clearly by Columbia and if upsets you, you shouldn't have applied. and since you did, maybe consider withdrawing. Stop spewing your consipiracy theories with this nonsense you drummed up in your head. Wait patiently to get an answer and consider yourself lucky you haven't been dinged yet.

Can we calm down here? It's the middle of application season. People are just frustrated (and that much disappointed that he/she may not get to attend CBS). No need to knock CBS as an applicant just because you didn't get in. No need to knock other applicants because they are saying things out of frustration. It is what it is (and trust me, I've been frustrated before myself)

2 KUDOS received
Stanford Thread Master
Schools: Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [2] , given: 68

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
IN AT CBS! JUST GOT THE CALL!

Stats:

27/F/5 yr exp Govt/3.4 GPA/740 GMAT

12/19 submit
12/20 under review
1/7 Invite
1/24 App complete
3/4 Acceptance

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard Business School, Columbia GSB, Chicago Booth

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
SebastianMBA wrote:
NYER wrote:
Just got a call, accepted! Complete 2/14, heard today (3/7) via phone. Good luck to the rest of you, don't give up hope if it's taking a long time.

Congrats NYER! Do you mind sharing your stats? I went complete about three days after you, so now I'm getting anxious. I also got a follow up email from the adcom requesting additional info. Hope to join you in that admit list soon.

Actually, just got the call myself!

Applied 1/5
Under Review 1/21
Interview Invite 2/16
Complete 2/21
Accepted 3/8

28/M/750/3.6/WE 5.5 years Big Four - Audit.

I'm static right now, but thought I'd share.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 08:02
This post received
KUDOS
Moss wrote:
What is the new strategy?

Christina Shelby has indicated on BW forums that they will start reviewing applications as soon as they are complete. It is confirmed on CBS website. CBS is now playing a Super Early Decision Round strategy. You apply by mid May and get admitted by early August. They pushed the ED strategy to its limit to gain advantage over their peers schools.

And "It seems" (essay not published on the website at this date) that they throw in a couple of freebies with over simplified essays. 2 essays, limited thinking and pain required.

The message is clear : "Come on, It s so easy to apply and you get the reply by august, come on.. Booth,Kellogg,Sloan,Tuck,CBS... we re all peer schools... dont worry too much... 2 essays and you re in at CBS by august ... take the blue pill "
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!!   [#permalink] 16 May 2010, 08:02