Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Columbia ED (Deferred), Yale SOM (Accepted), Stern (WL), Tuck, Wharton (Ding)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Schools:Columbia ED (Deferred), Yale SOM (Accepted), Stern (WL), Tuck, Wharton (Ding)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all CBS deferred ED applicants! [#permalink]
DayZBanker wrote:
msbroker wrote:
DayZBanker wrote:
Anyone receive a call today? my eyes have been locked on my cell phone all day

nope, right there with you man. been staring at my blackberry since yest afternoon. woke up to take a leak at 3am last night and double checked to see if i had an email from them...

There goes any hope of being productive today. Good thing is a snowy, sleepy Friday where I would have spend the day on ESPN and The Superficial anyway

hear anything dayz?? nothing on my end. my feeling is that if they were going to let us in they'd have done it by today. Either ding or waitlist on monday...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nope, right there with you man. been staring at my blackberry since yest afternoon. woke up to take a leak at 3am last night and double checked to see if i had an email from them...[/quote]

There goes any hope of being productive today. Good thing is a snowy, sleepy Friday where I would have spend the day on ESPN and The Superficial anyway[/quote]

hear anything dayz?? nothing on my end. my feeling is that if they were going to let us in they'd have done it by today. Either ding or waitlist on monday...[/quote]

Nothing here either. I'm assuming that means that I'll get the official ding today at some point.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Guys - I'm a long time reader, and first time poster :-)
Also a ED applicant at Columbia Business School - and deferred. Waiting to hear back from them. Any news for anyone today?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nope, nothing still.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
scratch that, ding
Intern
Intern
Send PM
msbroker wrote:
scratch that, ding

DING! C'est la vie & on to the next one
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Sorry to hear that guys. I wonder why they dinged us. Any theories? Considering that we applied ED, considerable number of seats were available at the time of our application so I am doubtful that "numbers" caused a flag in our evaluations.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
futurestrategist wrote:
Sorry to hear that guys. I wonder why they dinged us. Any theories? Considering that we applied ED, considerable number of seats were available at the time of our application so I am doubtful that "numbers" caused a flag in our evaluations.

I fall into the Indian Guy in Finance demographic - which is always a tough group to be comped against. Unfortunately, if two people look almost identical on paper, it may come down to just picking the applicant with the higher numbers. My undergrad GPA and GMAT of 3.4 and 710 are both probably on the lower end for my comp group. CBS's two essays also leave very little room to distinguish yourself and flex your creative muscle. Secondly, I'm almost 30, which can also apparently work against you.

I also wasnt thrilled with my interview. Content wise - it was fine, but I was never able to connect with my interviewer on a personal level. He was a nice enough guy, but our interests were different enough and his interview style peculiar enough that we were never able to establish any sort of rhythm/rapport.

That said, I gave CBS my best shot and enough time has passed for this to almost be a nonevent. I had written off CBS as a likely destination after I got deferred and didnt really think about it until a week or two ago. It feels nice to finally have a definitive response from them so that I can move on with the rest of the process. Good luck to all!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yea I echo that sentiment. I had a similar gpa and gmat meaning i was in the lower range, and as a male who works in finance probably up against individuals with far better numbers. I thought my essays were pretty well done, and I think my interview was fine but I wouldn't say I nailed it.

I would've loved to have gone there, but oh well. I am 26 so I may reapply next year, but I am much more excited to see how my apps plays out at other schools before I make that decision. If its consensus that I need to work on my gpa/gmat to get into top 10, then I obviously will do that. Maybe CBS will provide some feedback, but I'm not sure they do that anymore.

Either way, given that I applied back in September, I had already kind of moved on. Based on all our experiences, it appears as though for this year, getting in off the deferred list was particularly tough. Wish you guys the best of luck on all your other apps and who knows, maybe we'll eventually end up at a program that in the end was a better fit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Has anyone else not gotten a final decision yet?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
DayZBanker wrote:
futurestrategist wrote:

I fall into the Indian Guy in Finance demographic - which is always a tough group to be comped against. Unfortunately, if two people look almost identical on paper, it may come down to just picking the applicant with the higher numbers. My undergrad GPA and GMAT of 3.4 and 710 are both probably on the lower end for my comp group. CBS's two essays also leave very little room to distinguish yourself and flex your creative muscle. Secondly, I'm almost 30, which can also apparently work against you.

I also wasnt thrilled with my interview. Content wise - it was fine, but I was never able to connect with my interviewer on a personal level. He was a nice enough guy, but our interests were different enough and his interview style peculiar enough that we were never able to establish any sort of rhythm/rapport.

That said, I gave CBS my best shot and enough time has passed for this to almost be a nonevent. I had written off CBS as a likely destination after I got deferred and didnt really think about it until a week or two ago. It feels nice to finally have a definitive response from them so that I can move on with the rest of the process. Good luck to all!

Agreed. I have similar stats and am in finance, although I'm few years younger. While it's good that CBS gave us an answer sooner than later (unlike NYU waitlisters like you or myself), it's disappointing nonetheless to have a glimmer of hope dashed (especially after my interviewer gave awesome feedback and remained very positive about deferred people). I might reapply or consider other schools as well.

As for feedback from CBS, I highly doubt that they would give any. As for GPA, we can't change that, but perhaps we could take graduate courses to show our quant abilities. As for the GMAT, do you think it's worth retaking if you're in the low 700s?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:NYU (Enrolling!)
Send PM
Katecros wrote:
Has anyone else not gotten a final decision yet?

I'm still waiting... and after reading this tread, I'm losing hope.

although I heard that if you do get the call it will come from an unknown number (not sure if that is true). My boyfriend is abroad right now and called me from skype. When my phone rang earlier and the caller ID said it was an unknown number I got RIDICULOUSLY excited only to be disappointed by the fact that it was not an adcom member and instead just the boy. So close, yet so far away.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just got another follow-up email saying that I might be a better candidate for the EMBA program..so maybe age was a factor
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
Send PM
DayZBanker wrote:
I just got another follow-up email saying that I might be a better candidate for the EMBA program..so maybe age was a factor

I doubt it. I got the same email, and I'm 27 (which happens to be the mean age for matriculating students at CBS). My cynical view is that it was a way for them to feel less guilty about rejecting candidates that had support from some members of the adcom, but who weren't able to get past the full committee.

I actually found the EMBA recommendation somewhat insulting, as changing career tracks was a key theme of my essays and follow-up materials. I also find it odd that they "deferred" so many ED applicants only to systematically reject them - of the dozens of deferred applicants on this forum, only three were admitted (to my knowledge).

Best of luck with your other applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:NYU (Enrolling!)
Send PM
Just got the e-mail. Ding. seeing as they were contacting me on the last possible day, I wasn't surprised. Any last minute contacts have good news?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi... not sure if this is still an active thread. Any 2012 ED applicants out there who got deferred?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.53
WE:Other (Investment Banking)
Send PM
ksk80 wrote:
Hi... not sure if this is still an active thread. Any 2012 ED applicants out there who got deferred?

Hi ksk80. I was just deferred today. What a bummer. Is there an active thread for 2012 ED deferred applicants? I would like to get some more info on the whole process.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts