Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 10:52
no idea although it's definitely not easy. You see people on these boards get denied from columbia ED get accepted to Chicago or Wharton in RD 1. So probably not too much of a difference but definitely some edge since everyone says RD is impossible.

You will need to apply to RD1 schools since those deadlines come before the decision for ED (unless you hear earlier than 10 weeks)

Also, you have to figure more weaker candidates are going to apply ED so that will bring down the acceptance rate. If I were to guess I'd say it's even. Although that may be different then chances of getting in. If you have a good-strong profile , better shot in ED than RD .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 11:17
If you are going to apply to other schools R1 and Columbia ED, keep in mind that the deposit for ED is due 3 weeks after you are accepted.

It seems like the RD acceptance rate is really low, but I don't think the ED acceptance rate is much higher. The overall acceptance rate for ED and RD is lower than the 16% that they publish because the overall average number includes the J-Termers, which has a higher acceptance rate. I'd like to see the acceptance rate throughout ED--August/September ED versus October+ ED. I think you will be a much greater number amongst those who apply in the first couple of months compared to those who apply after that.

If you are certain about Columbia, then apply early ED, the adcoms obviously like to see a the foresight to apply right away and a strong desire to attend their school. These are inherent advantages when you apply early in the round.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 12:49
djhouse81 wrote:
If you are going to apply to other schools R1 and Columbia ED, keep in mind that the deposit for ED is due 3 weeks after you are accepted.

It seems like the RD acceptance rate is really low, but I don't think the ED acceptance rate is much higher. The overall acceptance rate for ED and RD is lower than the 16% that they publish because the overall average number includes the J-Termers, which has a higher acceptance rate. I'd like to see the acceptance rate throughout ED--August/September ED versus October+ ED. I think you will be a much greater number amongst those who apply in the first couple of months compared to those who apply after that.

If you are certain about Columbia, then apply early ED, the adcoms obviously like to see a the foresight to apply right away and a strong desire to attend their school. These are inherent advantages when you apply early in the round.

Wow.... are you sure they combine J Term and the 2 year? That seems odd to me. Especially if J Term has a higher acceptance rate. Do you have any evidence that J Term actually has a higher acceptance rate? Why would a school want to make itself look less selective than it actually is?? Especially a school like Columbia which has a reputation for maximizing yield to lower their acceptance rate. What would be the point of doing that if you then include your accelerated MBA which has a higher acceptance rate? It totally negate their yield maximization efforts. All other schools seperate accelerated and two year apps, I don't see why Columbia would not do the same. I can only think of one reason - J Term actually has a lower acceptance rate than the 2 year. This is the only thing that makes logical sense to me, and it fits with Columbias rep for fudging the numbers.

Another thought, it would make sense now why Columbia apps only went up 7% while the rest of the M7 was up 15-30%... If they include J Term in those numbers those apps were before the recession talk started.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 13:14
I just did some back of the envelope calculations I'd like to add to the discussion. J Term class size is roughly 190. Assuming the yield is 77% - and if that's overall yield then I think in reality J Term yield is closer to 100% because there really is no other competition in terms of top ranked programs starting in January, especially since J Term has a lot of new yorkers just looking for an accelerated program that allows them to get their ticket stamped and not have to move from NYC. But, anyway, conservatively estimate 77% that means they need to accept around 247 applicants. If the yield were 90% for J Term, they only need to accept 211. So, for them to have a 10% acceptance rate for J Term they would need between 2,110 and 2,470 applicants. This is less than the number of applicants for tiny, remote location programs like Tuck, Yale and Cornell. For a school in NYC and a program popular with NYC bankers that don't want to leave, I think its pretty reasonable they would hit these application numbers. If so..... Sept 07 acceptance rates are actually above 16%
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 13:37
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:

Wow.... are you sure they combine J Term and the 2 year? That seems odd to me. Especially if J Term has a higher acceptance rate. Do you have any evidence that J Term actually has a higher acceptance rate? Why would a school want to make itself look less selective than it actually is?? Especially a school like Columbia which has a reputation for maximizing yield to lower their acceptance rate. What would be the point of doing that if you then include your accelerated MBA which has a higher acceptance rate? It totally negate their yield maximization efforts. All other schools seperate accelerated and two year apps, I don't see why Columbia would not do the same. I can only think of one reason - J Term actually has a lower acceptance rate than the 2 year. This is the only thing that makes logical sense to me, and it fits with Columbias rep for fudging the numbers.

Another thought, it would make sense now why Columbia apps only went up 7% while the rest of the M7 was up 15-30%... If they include J Term in those numbers those apps were before the recession talk started.

I was told by a current student that the GMAT average that you see on the website for the most recent incoming class is averaged using 2-year and J-Term numbers. The same process might or might not apply to yield and acceptance rate, so I can't give you any hard evidence. However, the J-Term average is slightly lower than the 2-year average, so by averaging them together they are just being factual and not trying to skew the numbers.

When I am at school I will try to get some stats. I am curious, as is everyone else, about how much ED affects Columbia's yield. I would not be surprised if it does not affect it as much as everyone thinks. Columbia has a bad rep because of Early Decision, which is really just another style of the application process. I went to an undergrad with an ED round so it's not uncommon. Maybe Linda Meehan came from a school where they did ED. MIT has only 2 rounds. Kellogg has rolling decisions. UCLA has 4 rounds. Columbia only has 2 rounds. Cornell allows application submission after its final round. Most other schools have 3 rounds and a set decision date. Each method has its benefits and drawbacks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 13:59
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I just did some back of the envelope calculations I'd like to add to the discussion. J Term class size is roughly 190. Assuming the yield is 77% - and if that's overall yield then I think in reality J Term yield is closer to 100% because there really is no other competition in terms of top ranked programs starting in January, especially since J Term has a lot of new yorkers just looking for an accelerated program that allows them to get their ticket stamped and not have to move from NYC. But, anyway, conservatively estimate 77% that means they need to accept around 247 applicants. If the yield were 90% for J Term, they only need to accept 211. So, for them to have a 10% acceptance rate for J Term they would need between 2,110 and 2,470 applicants. This is less than the number of applicants for tiny, remote location programs like Tuck, Yale and Cornell. For a school in NYC and a program popular with NYC bankers that don't want to leave, I think its pretty reasonable they would hit these application numbers. If so..... Sept 07 acceptance rates are actually above 16%

In response to this post, you're looking at it the wrong way. If CBS has a full-time acceptance rate of 15% of about 5000 applicants, of which 70% matriculate then thats 525 students in full-time. If 190 J-Termers matriculate, using 77%, and the acceptance rate is 29%, which I think is the real number, the number of of applicants is 850. Do the weighted average acceptance rate and you have 17% on the dot. That's where the J-Term acceptance rate brings the overall acceptance rate down. But, don't be fooled! J-Term, from what I hear, is tough tough tough to get in!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 14:44
djhouse81 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

In response to this post, you're looking at it the wrong way. If CBS has a full-time acceptance rate of 15% of about 5000 applicants, of which 70% matriculate then thats 525 students in full-time. If 190 J-Termers matriculate, using 77%, and the acceptance rate is 29%, which I think is the real number, the number of of applicants is 850. Do the weighted average acceptance rate and you have 17% on the dot. That's where the J-Term acceptance rate brings the overall acceptance rate down. But, don't be fooled! J-Term, from what I hear, is tough tough tough to get in!

Have you been told that the J Term acceptance rate is 29%?

And as far as ED not helping Columbia manage its yield much, I think it actually makes a big impact on yield. Like you said, it gets a really bad rap for ED so if it didn't help them why wouldn't they just get rid of it? Also, Clear Admit claims that Columbia takes 40% of it's class ED. That's a pretty big number and it's clearly done in an effort to manage yield and acceptance rates.

Just FYI, I'm actually planning to apply to Columbia ED and it is my top choice. So I'm not trying to denigrate the school or it's selectivity. Also, congrats on your admit and thanks for all the useful insights you give to us CBS 09 hopefuls!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 18:13
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

Have you been told that the J Term acceptance rate is 29%?

And as far as ED not helping Columbia manage its yield much, I think it actually makes a big impact on yield. Like you said, it gets a really bad rap for ED so if it didn't help them why wouldn't they just get rid of it? Also, Clear Admit claims that Columbia takes 40% of it's class ED. That's a pretty big number and it's clearly done in an effort to manage yield and acceptance rates.

Just FYI, I'm actually planning to apply to Columbia ED and it is my top choice. So I'm not trying to denigrate the school or it's selectivity. Also, congrats on your admit and thanks for all the useful insights you give to us CBS 09 hopefuls!

Yes, I've been told that the J-Term acceptance rate is approximately 29%.

I agree that ED impacts yield to a certain extent because they are not going to employ a method that does not work, but I don't think that extent is the sandbag levels that people think. I have not looked at Clear Admit, but what are the other yields from other schools' first round acceptances?

IHTG, I never thought you were criticizing the school, I love discussing Columbia since it is the next major step in my life! :-D If you have not done so, and you are able to, please try to visit the school. It will make a difference in the quality of your application. And, of course, when you plan on visiting, PM me and we will figure out a plan.

Keep the lively discussions a comin'!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 08:02
IHTG,
It just came to me that you already visited the school recently, so congrats on that! How'd it go?!?! I have to keep better track of who is applying to Columbia next year! Rhyme was masterful at that this year.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 14:01
PMd you
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 09:31
hmmm... I don't think the acceptance rate matters all that much. If Columbia is your first choice, the fact you are able to know the result much sooner is good.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 19:04
For those of you who are applying ED this Fall - when are you planning to visit campus?

I am not convinced that I want to apply ED yet, and I will definitely need to visit campus in order to make the judgement call. I am booked solid for May and June so far, which leaves me the months of July and August.

Does CBS allow visitors in July and August? Can you get a good feel for the school in July/August?

If I apply ED, I will most likely want to submit right around mid-August so I can possibly receive a decision before submitting a few R1 apps.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 05:38
terp06 wrote:
For those of you who are applying ED this Fall - when are you planning to visit campus?

Does CBS allow visitors in July and August? Can you get a good feel for the school in July/August?

CBS does not have anything going on July or August, so you will not get a good feel for the school. I think applying in August is for those who have already visited the school the prior year or plan to visit after they submit--but already know that they want to go to CBS. I suggest that you visit the school early September, and if you've already been working on the essays you can submit the app right after you visit. Submitting your app in September is still early enough in the game to get the advantage. And, if you do not like the school enough to apply ED, just postpone your app until RD.

For everyone who knows that they want to apply ED, you can submit your app in August and then visit the school in September. I submitted my app in mid-September, and I wrote in my Optional Essay that I would be visiting at the end of September. Seemed to work out well.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 09:12
Hello,

I am planning to apply for ED as well. A month ago I visited Columbia through their student host program. It was really good. I recommend it to everyone who's applying for Columbia.

djhouse, congratulations on your admit! Lucky you! The school has such a beautiful campus and friendly students.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2008, 18:46
sng wrote:
Hello,

I am planning to apply for ED as well. A month ago I visited Columbia through their student host program. It was really good. I recommend it to everyone who's applying for Columbia.

djhouse, congratulations on your admit! Lucky you! The school has such a beautiful campus and friendly students.

Thank you! Let me know if I can be of help!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 08:21
Thanks djhouse for offering your help. Thanks to everyone who's sharing valuable knowledge from their 2008 application process.

*** I recently received a PM message about essay service from "Roy2008." Did anyone else get it?
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 03:02
sng wrote:
Thanks djhouse for offering your help. Thanks to everyone who's sharing valuable knowledge from their 2008 application process.

*** I recently received a PM message about essay service from "Roy2008." Did anyone else get it?

I got an email from him too. As far as I'm concerned he's just an advertisement spammer. He has one post on these boards and it was moved and edited by a moderator.

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 00:37
Hi DJHouse:
I'm a huge fan of CBS. The school had always been my first choice. Anyway, m planning to apply for Fall 2009 ED. Can you help evaluate my qualifications?
It would really help.
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 05:01
redbeanaddict wrote:
Hi DJHouse:
I'm a huge fan of CBS. The school had always been my first choice. Anyway, m planning to apply for Fall 2009 ED. Can you help evaluate my qualifications?
It would really help.
Thanks

Sure, I will evaluate your profile, PM me. But, know that what I say means nothing if you do or do not have the quality application to go with it.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2008, 05:06
accepted.com posted their analysis on the J-term essay topics analysis. In the practice and theory topic, it says 'Ideally, you would want to use an example where you used management principles to guide your team, office company, or club in solving a problem or completing a project.'

I found it to be an interesting idea. This essay can be used as leadership and teamwork essay as well. eh... except I have no idea what the management principles are. I think I'm going to stick with my original idea something I knew. But, this could be something you guys can use if you have experience with.
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!   [#permalink] 23 May 2008, 05:06