Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:27
navy01 wrote:
The review for RD is 12 weeks so if you submit the day after ED, then you'll have initial notification in 12 weeks, no 12 weeks from January. It's rolling and they continue reviewing applications, there is not break from Oct - Jan.

I believe it is also rolling for the ED round. Except in ED, you will get your decision within 10 weeks.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 05:57
ryguy904 wrote:
navy01 wrote:
The review for RD is 12 weeks so if you submit the day after ED, then you'll have initial notification in 12 weeks, no 12 weeks from January. It's rolling and they continue reviewing applications, there is not break from Oct - Jan.

I believe it is also rolling for the ED round. Except in ED, you will get your decision within 10 weeks.

So theoretically there is a slight advantage to submitting your application August 13th as opposed to say, September 1st? Do most people here agree that such an advantage during the ED rounds would be negligible at best? Also, as I understand a "decision" within 10 weeks means one of "accepted," "interview," "waitlisted" or "dinged" - is that correct? So it's entirely possible for your admit/ding result to take a much longer time - that seems to defeat the entire purpose of ED. We make a commitment to enroll if accepted under ED, but Columbia doesn't make a commitment to admit/deny within 10 weeks. What's up with that? :stupid

I will be "visiting" the school next week and trying to arrange a lunch with a recent alum, so I'm still open to changing my mind (I've heard very mixed things so far), but I am at this point strongly considering (and as we speak, working on) an ED application to Columbia.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 06:39
solaris1 wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:
navy01 wrote:

So theoretically there is a slight advantage to submitting your application August 13th as opposed to say, September 1st? Do most people here agree that such an advantage during the ED rounds would be negligible at best? Also, as I understand a "decision" within 10 weeks means one of "accepted," "interview," "waitlisted" or "dinged" - is that correct? So it's entirely possible for your admit/ding result to take a much longer time - that seems to defeat the entire purpose of ED. We make a commitment to enroll if accepted under ED, but Columbia doesn't make a commitment to admit/deny within 10 weeks. What's up with that? :stupid

I will be "visiting" the school next week and trying to arrange a lunch with a recent alum, so I'm still open to changing my mind (I've heard very mixed things so far), but I am at this point strongly considering (and as we speak, working on) an ED application to Columbia.

You are correct. You will receive some sort of response within 10 weeks after you submit (technically, after your app goes complete). I wouldn't say it will NOT take "much longer" time, though. I'd expect that you would receive your decision in ~2-3 after your interview. And by the way, you won't get an admit without an interview, so don't expect to get a straight up asmit right away. :) In any event, much sooner and quicker timeline than most other schools.

Also, I think the J-Term folks are in class, so it could be worthwhile to try and get in touch with some of those folks. Also, check out the school's ambassadors. I'd be willing to guess that an overwhelming majority are in NYC for their internships. You can at least try and get one on the phone, if not try and take one out for a drink after work. Don't count on seeing any bankers, though...

Let us know how the trip is. I fell deeply in love with CBS when I visited in April. Too bad she had to break my heart. I'm working on the reapp right now, though.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 06:45
solaris1 wrote:

I agree that the advantage is negligible. If they don't really like you, they'll just throw your app back into the pile for a re-evaluation anyway. However, after look at so many stellar apps, they may grow pickier when re-evaluating.

That's why CBS has been much maligned. Their ED system is an artificial way to control yield/rankings. I think it's fine. It's a school that wants to be loved.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 06:50
:-D I'm certainly not counting on an admit w/o an interview, ryguy. Columbia is going to be my "Hail Mary" application - I think it's a really solid school on paper and I'm already enthusiastic enough about it to consider applying ED. Hopefully, speaking to recent alumni (after their "rah rah, my b-school is the best" fervor has faded a bit) will give me a better sense of the pluses and minuses and I can determine how well I really fit into Columbia's culture. That's one reason I prefer chasing down alumni as opposed to incoming students or current students - not to say that the incoming/current students aren't a fantastic resource, I just find the alumni to be a bit more objective and pragmatic in their assessment of their in- and post-b school experiences.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully you will be able to woo Mme. Columbia this time :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 09:10
I am wondering if the wait-listed people in the ED will have to wait until after the RD result. That will be torture.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 09:23
sng wrote:
I am wondering if the wait-listed people in the ED will have to wait until after the RD result. That will be torture.

If I remember correctly, there are two options (maybe more). You can either get waitlisted or thrown back into the pool of regular decision applicants.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 12:27
kidderek wrote:
If I remember correctly, there are two options (maybe more). You can either get waitlisted or thrown back into the pool of regular decision applicants.

:shock:

I found some essay analysis links:

http://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_blog/2008/5/23/columbia-january-2009-accelerated-mba-program-essay-tips-and.html
[url]
http://adam-markus.blogspot.com/2008/05 ... -term.html[/url]

Last edited by sng on 12 Jul 2008, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 17:22
They seriously need to post the essays and make the app active for ED applicants. How else am I supposed to click submit on August 15th if my heart so desires?

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 17:31
I think someone mentioned on another thread that the admissions committee said the essays for Fall '09 ED were going to be similar to the J-term application essays.

You're seriously looking at submitting come August 15th, terp06? That's seriously awesome.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 18:02
thanks for providing this information
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 23:11
solaris1 wrote:
I think someone mentioned on another thread that the admissions committee said the essays for Fall '09 ED were going to be similar to the J-term application essays.

You're seriously looking at submitting come August 15th, terp06? That's seriously awesome.

Within the next 2 weeks, I am going to decide whether or not I am doing Columbia ED. If I decide to do it, I will be submitting by the end of August.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2008, 17:49
do you guys think submitting first day of RD (Oct 15th or so) is a bad decision for a female (civil) engineer? I just don't want my "category" group to be filled by the time my application rolls through.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2008, 18:06
navy01 wrote:
do you guys think submitting first day of RD (Oct 15th or so) is a bad decision for a female (civil) engineer? I just don't want my "category" group to be filled by the time my application rolls through.

I thought CBS was your first choice? Am I wrong?

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2008, 19:34
navy01 wrote:

I thought CBS was your top choice...Do you not think you can get the reapp done in time for ED?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2008, 19:37
I don't think that I've officially announced it in this thread, but count this boy in for an ED reapp! :punk
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 03:29
My husband will go through IB recruiting this fall (from Stern) and we don't know where he'll end up. Large possibility he'll end up in NYC but I would hate to throw down $6k and then lose it. I'm also thinking of applying to Wharton too.

Think it'll be too late?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 03:33
Early Decision Applicants
sterny
sm332
IHateTheGMAT
terp06
sonibubu
ryuguy904
sondenso
happybunny
sam77sam7
fatb
deckardbr
navy01 (?) - (710, 3.1/3.6 GPA, Female, 26, 4.5 WE, USA, Engineering, Reapplicant)
sng
YihWei
redbeanaddict
ac8706
fooFighter
anadimisra
solaris1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 03:39
oh yeah, I was officially dinged off the waitlist on Friday and my waitlist manager said he'd provide feedback. Still need to set a time and date though.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 04:09
Nice list Navy01.

Anyone visited Columbia, how was the experience?
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2008, 04:09