Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2008, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Given that we are starting to have the 2009 group, I wanted to start the 2009 group for Columbia!

Please feel free to post reports and statistics based on your research..

Good Luck! :)
ED Stats
Applicants: 25
Admitted: 2
Dinged: 11
Waitlisted: 0
Deferred: 0

ED Applicants
loathetheapps - admitted
TienyChesney - admitted
sterny - dinged
GK_Gmat - dinged
ryuguy904 - dinged
happybunny - dinged
TheFreedomAngel - dinged
sng - dinged
PalmettoRU - dinged
GoBruins - dinged
VISHGOEL - dinged
solaris1 - dinged
IHateTheGMAT - dinged
cs11 - dinged
llest - dinged
WillAsher - dinged
sondenso
fatb
deckardbr
YihWei
redbeanaddict
fooFighter
anadimisra
mashi
filmcity
gpulluri
CompanyMan
RD Stats
Applicants: 34
Admitted: 0
Dinged: 0
Waitlisted: 0
Deferred: 0

RD Applicants
jjright - Interview 01/07/09 Admitted Withdrew for Wharton
foodstamp - Submitted 12/15/08 Interview 01/06/09 Admitted
AZCFA/pguard - Submitted 01/06/09 Interview Admitted Withdrew for Chicago
arshia22 - Interview Admitted
praz - Submitted 10/30/08 Interview 01/09/09 Waitlist
js594 - Interview Waitlist
yaazol - Submitted 01/20/09 Interview Waitlist
sonibubu - Submitted 9/5/08 Interview 01/22/09 Withdrew
isa (fka AC) - Submitted 11/24/08 Interview 01/08/09 Dinged
AdamH83 - Submitted 11/26/08 Interview 01/06/09 Dinged
bostonsparky - Submitted 11/28/08 Interview 01/07/09 Dinged
oziozzie - Submitted 12/26/08 Interview 01/26/09 Dinged
liquidice - Submitted 12/29/08 Interview 01/30/09
MBARunner - Interview Dinged
smokedpotatoes2 - Submitted 01/07/09 Interview Dinged
agold - Submitted 01/05/09 Interview Dinged
Sleepy - Interview
MBAAspirant2008 - Interview Dinged
bsd_lover
LeftOut - Dinged
yellowjacket - Submitted 12/20/08 Dinged
levfin2003 - Submitted 01/03/09
labomba - Submitted 01/05/09
dglasser - Submitted 01/05/09 Dinged
suntaurian - Submitted 01/06/09
fugo - Submitted 01/06/09 Dinged
tarunmalik - Submitted 01/07/09
leonidas - Submitted 01/07/09
Mclaughlin - Submitted 01/07/09
gboi - Dinged
latetotheparty
balboa
gregory - Dinged
DanielPlainview
walker
Attachments

Columbia.jpg
Columbia.jpg [ 106.22 KiB | Viewed 19451 times ]

Last edited by foodstamp on 16 Apr 2009, 09:36, edited 74 times in total.
Added applicant list for ED/RD
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [3] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2008, 17:19
This post received
KUDOS
IHateTheGMAT, I might have some good news for you.

I went to an information session with the Assistant Director of Admissions at CBS today, and she said this year there were going to be 3 essays instead of the 4 in earlier years. The ones she specifically mentioned were:

-edit posting the actual essay topics below-

Essay 1: What are your short-term and long-term post-MBA goals? How will Columbia Business School help you achieve these goals? (Recommended 750 word limit)

Essay 2: Master Classes are the epitome of bridging the gap between theory and practice at Columbia Business School. View link below. Please provide an example from your own life in which practical experience taught you more than theory alone. (Recommended 500 word limit)
RealVideo: http://merlin.gsb.columbia.edu:8080/ramgen/video1/faculty/MasterClass-promo.rm

Essay 3: Please provide an example of a team failure of which you’ve been a part. If given a second chance, what would you do differently? (Recommended 500 word limit)

The optional essay remains, well, optional.

It looks like the essays are going to be the same as the J-term essays, except that there's not going to be an Essay 4 about your "passions" etc.

She said the ED application was going to go live by the end of next week.

A couple of other interesting things said during the session, "no difference in selectivity between ED and RD" :-D, and that CBS expects applications to be up 20% in the coming cycle (unless I misheard her and she was talking about 2007 applications being up 20%).

So, happy writing folks! Will be visiting a class at CBS tomorrow morning.

Last edited by solaris1 on 14 Jul 2008, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [2] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 16:12
This post received
KUDOS
I was wondering, since Columbia is known for pumping out strong Finance MBA grads, would it be wiser to apply to a school more diverse like Chicago GSB or Northwestern?

Or would it be wiser for a career switcher, for example engineering to IB, to go to Columbia where Finance MBA is their strong point?
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 48 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 14:27
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks again everybody! I actually went out and bought a CBS shirt already! :-D

I think today is exactly 2 weeks since I went complete for those of you keeping track. It seems like a good number of applicants hear 10-20 days after going complete. Hang in there praz, js, and everybody else!

I also think that my interest/enthusiasm for Columbia helped me get the admit. It's very important to make sure your interviewer understands exactly why you want Columbia. Even if your interviewer doesn't ask detailed questions about why Columbia, you should still weave in your enthusiasm/reasoning into almost every one of your answers. I went into the interview knowing exactly which classes/professors interested me and why. I created a detailed list of clubs that I wanted to participate in and organizations that I wanted to help lead. As an entrepreneur, I couldn't help but come up with a few ideas on how to improve certain aspects of the Columbia experience for students who were interested in getting their feet wet in entrepreneurship/consulting. I pitched my ideas to my interviewer and ended up having a very interesting and enjoyable conversation.

For the infamous "where else are you applying" question, I told the complete truth. But I also made it pretty clear why Columbia is the best option for me. To this day, I am still not sure what the best approach is to answering this question. One of my goals was to convey my genuine interest in the school and I didn't want to jeopardize that by making up BS responses. The interviewers are alumni who have been in our shoes. They know that somebody who is applying to Columbia is probably also applying to another top tier school.

If anybody has any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I am no expert by any means, but I might be able to help. :)

Who is going to the Open House in February?!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2008, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
terp06 wrote:
djhouse81 wrote:
Everyone's concerns about ED are not unfounded. ED is only for applicants who have decided that Columbia is their first choice. If you have researched schools and have discovered that everything that Columbia offers fits with who you are and what you want to be then the rolling and early aspects of Columbia's ED round can be really appealing. This is how I saw it, hence I applied ED. If you like Columbia, but it might be your 2+ choice, or it is neck and neck with your first choice, then you are better off going RD. RD might be more competitive, but we're talking about 2 years of your life that could plot the course for the rest of your life. Don't go for Columbia ED just to get the application process over with quicker, do it because Columbia is where you want to go for business school.

For what reasons do people choose Columbia over Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, or Chicago? Is it purely based on proximity to Wall Street and the location in New York City, or are there other things that go into this decision as well?

There's a lot of reasons why students to choose Columbia over the other schools you named. I'll name a few:
1) location, both NYC and Wall Street
2) Finance
3) Consulting (McKinsey LOVES!!! Columbia)
4) Particular alumni show the quality of the school: Buffet, Kravis, Mario Gabelli, Vikram Pandit
5) Students - I never visited the other schools, but I felt an instant connection with the Columbia students; plus, they have the Hermes Society and Peer Advisors, which are groups of current students whose sole responsibility is to welcome prospective and accepted students
6) Value Investing Program
7) Renowned faculty, such as Bruce Greenwold and even the former Chair of the Council of Economic Advisors who is now our current Dean
8) Real Estate Program - NYC real estate is a great case in itself for a real estate program
9) Healthcare and Pharma Mgmt Program - one of the best for MBA's
10) A Private Equity focus
11) An international nexus as far as MBA programs go, as well as U.S. cities
12) New core curriculum
13) An incredible pre-MBA "World Tour" initiated and facilitated by '10's (there's a 14-week itinerary, website, and leaders for each leg, talk about initiative...incredible!!!)
14) Yield - Columbia's is 17%, very presitigious
15) Ivy League (ok, Harvard and Wharton have that)
16) Plus Columbia has everything that top-tier programs should have, such as short and long abroad programs, a focus on entrepreneurship, every club under the sun, intramurals, class groups and teams, happy-hours, student-organized shows, a cohesive class of students, excellent job placement, great compensation packages upon graduation
17) I could go on and on and on...

Every school has its strength. If you want to work out West, at Google, or Silicon Valley, then Stanford and Haas would be better than Columbia. If you want a very different leariing experience, then Ross might be your best bet with their MAP program or Darden's case study system. No matter where you go amongst the top schools, you'll be able to write your ticket. If you come from Columbia, Wharton, Harvard, Chicago, or Stanford, I'll hire any of you in a heartbeat--assuming I can afford you! So you are better off just finding where your ideals fit the school's ideals, and go from there.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 05:51
This post received
KUDOS
If you don't apply ED, make sure you apply before/on the scholarship deadline date. If you apply after that initial date, you will be waiting a LONG time to get a decision and will read venom on the businessweek forums of how "all the spots are already gone" even if you applied a day after.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I'm glad I can talk about ECs in my app. If they give room for resume, bullet point type info (I'm pretty sure I remember djhouse saying that they do) then that would at least give me a chance to talk a bit about what I've done and accomplished outside of work. My best leadership example is outside of work and I want to mention it somewhere - I guess a bullet or two in my app is good enough. Though I'd obviously prefer to write an essay on it....

So I went back and looked at my app from last year to see what there was room for:

On EC's, it looks you have you ~250 characters (including spaces) to discuss each of your EC's. Not a lot, but hopefully enough room to provide some meat. If you do multiple tasks at the same organiztion, I would break it out by activity. I have three distinct "jobs" with the non-profit that I work for and that's what I did :)

For the resume section, it is titled "Employment History," so you won't be able to throw in the EC's there.

Hope that helps!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
solaris1 wrote:
How did you get the recommendation form for this year's application? Is it the same as last year's? Is the form available on the website?

Thanks.

It's online http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/applynow

If either you or your recommender would like to view the online recommendation questions, they are listed below. (Please note the below questions are those in the September 2009 ED and RD applications. These are only slightly revised from the January 2009 application recommendation questions.)

1. What is your relationship to, and how long have you known the applicant? Is this person still employed by your organization? If not, when did he/she depart?

2. Please provide a short list of adjectives describing the applicant’s strengths, and please compare the applicant’s performance to that of his or her peers.

3. Please comment on the applicant’s growth during his/her employment with you and on his or her ability to work with others, including superiors, peers, and subordinates.

4. In what ways could the applicant improve professionally? How does he/she accept constructive criticism?

5. Comment on your observations of the applicant’s ethical behavior.

6. What do you think motivates the candidate’s application to the MBA program at Columbia Business School?

7. If you could change one thing about the applicant, what would it be?

8. Are there any other matters which you feel we should know about the applicant?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
ryguy904 wrote:
Just checking :)

I would go say it "Why MBA" peppered with a few "Why Columbia's." That being said, they can't expect your recommender to be an expert on Columbia. The "Why MBA" and "Why Columbia" responses should be different than what you are writing about on your own.

Thanks.

sonibubu wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find the CBS rec questions for this year?

http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/applynow
Scroll down. You will see eight questions.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 14:23
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Solaris,

Yeah, I know for a fact that both of my recommenders received the email immediately (within 10 seconds) of me clicking the "send" button on my application. This is cuz I was on the phone with them to make sure they understood everything before I submitted their names... as soon as they said yes, I clicked the button on my computer and they said they got the email right then.

You know how everyone complains about Columbia's app system being antiquated? I admit it's not the most user-friendly but I didn't have too many problems initially. Now the rec thing is definitely freaking me out. Also, am I the only person who couldn't edit their excel transcript after saving the first time? I actually had to re-write an entire transcript from their blank template to make the change. Weird.

Solaris, lemme know if you have any other questions- I've been living and breathing this CBS admissions process for a while now so maybe I can help somehow.

Young TienyChesney's fall 2009 aspirant blog:

http://mbaveggie.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 20:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Solaris,

Thanks for the link! I love reading any and everything CBS-related that I can find. Here's a gem for you if you haven't seen it before. Here is the link to last year's spreadsheet of BusinessWeek CBS early decision applicants. It has stats and dates on the vast majority of CBS ED 2008 applicants from BusinessWeek forums. Thanks to ChristopherW for compiling this. I recommend exporting the google spreadsheet into Excel and then doing an auto-filter on the row of categories. You can decipher many interesting trends and this is why I expect the earliest interview invites to come around Sept. 10-15 this year.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... l=en&pli=1

As for when I press that "submit" button, I like to think that I'm one of the first ten apps in their pile :P

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 12:58
This post received
KUDOS
totally clueless as to whats happening :!: a first time applicant getting an admit within 3 weeks and nothing apart from that. This is brutal :cry:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
Well, the good thing is that they are all re applicants! If the new apps were getting responses, i would have been a lil more concrened for not having got one!

Traffic never sleeps...

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2008, 14:02
This post received
KUDOS
my crossed fingers are now beginning to hurt :roll: ...hoping to hear something soon
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 21:44
This post received
KUDOS
As promised, here is my debrief from thursday's interview with Sarah (let's just call her that), a mid-30's management consultant at a Big 4 accounting firm. We met at her work...

Sarah took me, not to her office and not to a coffeeshop, but to a tiny interview, empty interview room. I didn't like this but as soon as we sat down, it was obvious that it'd be a friendly interview. It wasn't super casual but it was friendly. I tried to sit up straight and watch my posture (one of my flaws) the entire time which made me feel very business-like. But it went GREAT! It turns out that she went to my undergraduate alma mater as well and even walked onto the women's varsity basketball team! This is great because I am a basketball junkie. She asked for suggestions on where to play pickup games and I told her I still play at our alma mater's gym, and she said she has a friend who plays there. It turns out that her friend is actually on my intramural team!! That friend is also on another team that I played for over the summer where we won the championship. Small world huh? I felt great after that.

The interview went very smoothly. There were no questions that gave me a hard time. Everything was expected from the other debriefs that I've read on Accepted.com or the Clear Admit wiki. We basically went through my resume and I told her my goals and career story thus far. We talked about why Columbia and why MBA. She asked me about my thoughts on leadership and the infamous "ethical dilemma" example. I had answers ready for all of these. There were no questions about technical matters or even current events. She asked me about my current job and what I liked about it and what I actually did day-to-day. She asked me about my extra-curriculars and what I want to be involved with while at Columbia. She asked me what I would bring to Columbia that other applicants wouldn't. All easy stuff! That was about it- pretty obvious, straight-forward questions. We were done in only 40 minutes which was fine by me. Obviously the longer the better but she revealed that she was going to be in a meeting from 6-9 pm so I knew she was busy (she revealed that when I asked what she was doing the rest of the day). We got through everything I wanted to say (for the most part) and I left the interview feeling great and energized.

She gave me her business card at the beginning and I made sure to send her an email thanking her when I got home from work. Oh, by the way, at the end she asked me if I had any questions for her. I asked her if she had any feedback for me and what she thought about me. I think this caught her slightly off-guard and she didn't really answer the question. She did say, though, that CBS is obsesssed with identifying applicants who are "extremely enthusiastic about the school." This is a well-known fact due to their ED policy and obsession on yield. She reiterated this a couple times in her answer and I took that as a good sign since she knows that I am super enthusaistic (I was great at conveying this) and she even knows that I submitted my application 3 days before the review period cycle. She told me she was surprised to start interviewing so early this year since she's been an alumni interviewer for a while now. I also asked her what the "next steps in the process" were. She replied that she would submit feedback and that I would then receive a decision in probably a week to a month. That's a bummer. I was hoping she would say that she'd submit her feedback that very day or something but oh well. Still a great interview. Definitely won't hurt me and should actually help me a little. But from the sounds of it, I think most people enjoy their CBS alumni interviews so it won't give me much of an edge.

All in all, a very pleasurable interview. I'm very happy though it sound slike she'll be too busy to submit her feedback quickly.

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 14:35
This post received
KUDOS
so sorry, sng and happybunny. sometimes things just don't work out i guess.

and thank you everyone for your support, it's been a pleasure following the thread. i wish you all the very best!

now to treble my post count in the cornell and nyu threads.... :-)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
My only 2 cents in all of this is that, based on what alumni I work with who went to HBS, Columbia, Stern etc have said, that the admissions panels look for ppl who are going to make their school proud - i.e. if you talk about wanting to go into management consulting after graduating, that doesn't grab their attention. Everyone wants to go into MC...it doesn't differentiate you. It's so funny though given the large percentage of ppl who do go into MC after graduating, but from what I've heard, this is not a topic you want to talk about as future goals if you truly want to differentiate. It's all about piecing together, and leveraging, your work experience and interests into goals that will really stand out in the Adcom's eyes.

Sounds pretty obvious but I thought it was worth reiterating.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
deckardbr wrote:
Has anyone who applied on Oct 7th received some kind of notification?
(aside from the one dude on BW)

Still waiting...

I submitted 10/7 and just received the interview invite.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2008, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
bostonsparky wrote:
it's not necessarily because you had a bad interview, it's just because you did a thorough job describing yourself in the application. I would definitely advise against trying to bring up a bunch of random factoids about yourself(I went to Iceland once! I have a friend who's cousin once played basketball with Obama etc etc) if it prevents you from properly describing the things you have involved yourself with on a longterm basis. That's not to say you shouldn't bring up some interesting experiences, but make sure they help illustrate an important goal, characteristic or achievement of yours.

Definitely. The application/essays are much more detailed descriptions of my candidacy. Its difficult to present everything in complete DEPTH during a 30 minutes interview. Though someone told me that I can take the interview in a direction where my passions are discussed.

BTW- This might have been asked before. But how is everyone showing their personal side given that Columbia does not have a personal/passion essay anymore?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
OK everyone, I bit the bullet and TRIED to put together an applicant list on the first page of this thread. I've gone through every page of the CBS thread this morning and I think I've got everyone covered, but can't be 100% sure.

Please double check and let me know if any changes need to be made (missed an applicant, incorrect "ding/admitted" status, etc). Mods, feel free to updated/edit the list.
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2008, 07:43