Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: 2013
Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Posts: 62
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 22:30
kawasaki wrote:
CAapplicant2015 wrote:
minkathebest wrote:
I am confused on the word count for HAAS. It says 250 words on the HAAS website but the Consortium text box where we paste the essay allows 2500 characters (which is about 500 words).

Consortium office is closed till Friday, Jan 4th. CAN ANYONE WHO APPLIED ASSIST? Thank you!!


i would stick to the 250 word limit on berkeley's site despite the character limit on the consortium app. i did and was invited for interview.


Hey guys, I didn't get an invite to Super Saturday - does that mean it's a ding for me? Out of curiosity, when is Super Saturday?


I don't think you should consider that a ding. I believe someone from Haas sent an email sometime back that they "...will continue to invite candidates to interview over the next couple months up to the notification deadline of March 14".

Super Saturday is on Feb 2nd
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 12:03
the best advice i received was that "its not a ding until they tell you so". i have friends that got invited to interview at schools literally 2 days before the notification deadline. if you haven't heard anything, then you're still in the running. don't try to predict your outcome based on others. hopefully this eases a bit of the anxiety.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 97
Location: United States
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Corporate Finance (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 15:29
I received my Darden acceptance letter but it made no reference to a scholarship. It said something about a "welcome gift" but it didnt explain what that was.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 16:28
danjohn4real wrote:
I received my Darden acceptance letter but it made no reference to a scholarship. It said something about a "welcome gift" but it didnt explain what that was.


I did not get any mention of scholarship in my acceptance letter either. I hope there is something more to come.... any Darden R1 Constortium admits get any scholarship information
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: 2013
Joined: 26 Jun 2010
Posts: 62
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 11:47
perfectblack999 wrote:
So I got into Tepper. The admission letter says the deposit is due Feb 15th....a month before the fellowships are announced. Is this a solid date? Does this apply to Consortium applicants?? If so that's not fair! :(


...looks like they extended reply deadline for Consortium folks to April 16.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2011
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 11:50
DMNY31 wrote:
perfectblack999 wrote:
So I got into Tepper. The admission letter says the deposit is due Feb 15th....a month before the fellowships are announced. Is this a solid date? Does this apply to Consortium applicants?? If so that's not fair! :(


Yea...seems like a bit of a Catch22. Even if Tepper's deposit is due before fellowships are announced, its still worth losing a few G's for if you end up getting a 100k fellowship at another program.



Just got an email saying they're extending the deadline to April 16th for Consortium applicants.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2011
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 11:51
jay4den wrote:
perfectblack999 wrote:
So I got into Tepper. The admission letter says the deposit is due Feb 15th....a month before the fellowships are announced. Is this a solid date? Does this apply to Consortium applicants?? If so that's not fair! :(


...looks like they extended reply deadline for Consortium folks to April 16.


beat me to it :-D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 63
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 18:30
Do you guys think Darden would mind if we used the same example in the Consortium Core Essay 1 AND the main essay topic. Their regular app only has one essay so the consortium essay is really an extra essay. Thoughts?

Share your thought process as you encountered a challenging work situation or complex problem. How did this experience change your perspective? (500 words) *
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Posts: 122
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 10

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 07:10
i think you can touch on the same topic but approach it for a diff angle -- for example in my consortium mission essay (which the schools do read, correct?) i talked about leading an organization and helping a community and briefly mentioned it but then went much more in depth on a school specific essay to that one experience.. the why what where etc and then i also talked about mentoring in one but in my optional/supplemental essay i talked about my background and the WHY i mentor and give back to my community (because of growing up on my own)

i think/hope thats fine to do :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 04:32
This may be a stupid question, but I just wanted to double check. I am applying to the consortium Rd 2, and the application says its due on January 5th, midnight pacific time. Does that mean midnight Friday night (which is technically the 5th) or midnight Saturday night?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 31
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q45 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 08:53
helpmehelpme wrote:
i think you can touch on the same topic but approach it for a diff angle -- for example in my consortium mission essay (which the schools do read, correct?) i talked about leading an organization and helping a community and briefly mentioned it but then went much more in depth on a school specific essay to that one experience.. the why what where etc and then i also talked about mentoring in one but in my optional/supplemental essay i talked about my background and the WHY i mentor and give back to my community (because of growing up on my own)

i think/hope thats fine to do :)



So, I wanted to reach out to you guys because I have heard mixed messages about this. NYU has told me that they do not see the Membership Essay. Does anyone here know for sure what essays are seen by the schools?

Does each school see only the core Consortium essays and their specific essays? Or do they see all of them? Or just the specific essays?

Thanks!

_________________

GMAT Official 3: Q45, V44, 730

570-to-660-to-730-my-gmat-journey-144703.html

The GMAT is beatable! Perseverance is the name of the game!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2012
Posts: 18
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
WE: Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 09:22
bibby44 wrote:
This may be a stupid question, but I just wanted to double check. I am applying to the consortium Rd 2, and the application says its due on January 5th, midnight pacific time. Does that mean midnight Friday night (which is technically the 5th) or midnight Saturday night?

Thanks


I think this means midnight on Saturday night, so 3 am Saturday morning east coast time. I submitted mine after work on the due date for R1 (I guess that would be Friday in this example) and they were on time.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Matriculating at Stern as a Consortium Fellow !
Joined: 28 Jun 2012
Posts: 119
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 46

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 11:37
Krest19 wrote:
So, I wanted to reach out to you guys because I have heard mixed messages about this. NYU has told me that they do not see the Membership Essay. Does anyone here know for sure what essays are seen by the schools?

Does each school see only the core Consortium essays and their specific essays? Or do they see all of them? Or just the specific essays?

Thanks!


I was under the impression that schools don't see the member essays until students are accepted and the univ. is doing the fellowship draft...?

_________________

The only way to atone for being occasionally a little over-dressed is by being always absolutely over-educated.
Oscar Wilde

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 518
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 14:32
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All! I just had to jump in here as a 2011 Consortium applicant and major blogger. I remember these same questions last year and the year before.

1. Schools see everything except membership essays...

2. When you're putting your essays into the consortium system, use Internet Explorer. I remember having issues with it. They may have changed it since I applied, but if you're having trouble copy and pasting, then switch browsers.

3. I wrote this blog post, recounting my application process from 2 years ago, since today is the day that I hit submit. I wanted to give everyone something to think about AFTER you've all submitted your applications today. The link titled Application Submission Exhaustion in the blog post is quite funny as it recounts the frustration I experienced 2 years ago!

Blog Link: http://bit.ly/Jan5Submission

Best of Luck to all!!!!! You're about to embark on the most amazing experience of your life!

_________________

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 31
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q45 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 14:49
money9111 wrote:
Hi All! I just had to jump in here as a 2011 Consortium applicant and major blogger. I remember these same questions last year and the year before.

1. Schools see everything except membership essays...

2. When you're putting your essays into the consortium system, use Internet Explorer. I remember having issues with it. They may have changed it since I applied, but if you're having trouble copy and pasting, then switch browsers.

3. I wrote this blog post, recounting my application process from 2 years ago, since today is the day that I hit submit. I wanted to give everyone something to think about AFTER you've all submitted your applications today. The link titled Application Submission Exhaustion in the blog post is quite funny as it recounts the frustration I experienced 2 years ago!

Blog Link: http://bit.ly/Jan5Submission

Best of Luck to all!!!!! You're about to embark on the most amazing experience of your life!



Thank you! All this information is incredibly helpful! Glad to hear you've enjoyed your time at Johnson, it's one of my top schools!

_________________

GMAT Official 3: Q45, V44, 730

570-to-660-to-730-my-gmat-journey-144703.html

The GMAT is beatable! Perseverance is the name of the game!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 518
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 14:55
I also just realized that the actual DAY that I hit submit was WEDNESDAY (yesterday). The actual DATE was the 5th. This shows that once you get into b-school, you forget which day of the week it is and/or the date. #Truth. NeverTheLess... Good Luck!

Krest19 wrote:
money9111 wrote:
Hi All! I just had to jump in here as a 2011 Consortium applicant and major blogger. I remember these same questions last year and the year before.

1. Schools see everything except membership essays...

2. When you're putting your essays into the consortium system, use Internet Explorer. I remember having issues with it. They may have changed it since I applied, but if you're having trouble copy and pasting, then switch browsers.

3. I wrote this blog post, recounting my application process from 2 years ago, since today is the day that I hit submit. I wanted to give everyone something to think about AFTER you've all submitted your applications today. The link titled Application Submission Exhaustion in the blog post is quite funny as it recounts the frustration I experienced 2 years ago!

Blog Link: http://bit.ly/Jan5Submission

Best of Luck to all!!!!! You're about to embark on the most amazing experience of your life!



Thank you! All this information is incredibly helpful! Glad to hear you've enjoyed your time at Johnson, it's one of my top schools!

_________________

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Posts: 46
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GRE 1: 1540 Q790 V750
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 15:38
Does the Consortium state anywhere that they will not share your rankings with the schools until after you are accepted? For some reason I was under that impression, but now I find out that this is not true. Either way, it seems like a breach of trust. I wish I knew this before I applied; my strategy definitely would have been different.

If an applicant is sure that a particular Consortium school is not their top choice, and that school is one of those which requires applicants to rank it #1 in order to consider the applicant, the applicant would be better off applying through the regular application rather than the Consortium application.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 518
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 15:50
Schools see the rankings when they get your application. Now whether or not you're admitted to a school is different from whether or not you get a fellowship.

Also don't forget about the benefit of being IN the Consortium. There are a lot of opportunities beyond an acceptances. It's a lifelong "club" so to speak.

Posted from my mobile device Image

_________________

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2012
Posts: 47
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.6
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 08:31
Hey quick question. I am ranking the schools in order to maximize the odds of a fellowship and membership in the Consortium. Two questions:

Which of the following three schools is probably the EASIEST to get into Michigan, Cornell, and UVA. I want to rank that school one.

Which of the three schools gives out the most fellowship money. I thought it was Michigan but I don't know anything about Cornell and UVA.

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 10:02
peeweeninja wrote:
Hey quick question. I am ranking the schools in order to maximize the odds of a fellowship and membership in the Consortium. Two questions:

Which of the following three schools is probably the EASIEST to get into Michigan, Cornell, and UVA. I want to rank that school one.

Which of the three schools gives out the most fellowship money. I thought it was Michigan but I don't know anything about Cornell and UVA.

Thanks,


I would advise against that. I would rank the schools in the order in which you would want to attend. Given that the schools can see the rankings, some are sensitive to that information and may not invite you to interview on the basis of ranking them lower. I ranked #1 the school that I thought I had the least chance of getting into, and I've already received an interview invite. Just my $0.02. But after speaking to others that went through the Consortium, they advised me to do the same.
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2013, 10:02
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
94 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All 2014 Consortium Applicants CourtneyDelicia 551 24 May 2013, 07:15
281 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants helpmehelpme 1109 26 Oct 2012, 00:06
580 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! TheSenator 2345 27 Jun 2011, 05:55
62 Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! shadow 2638 07 Jun 2010, 23:12
47 Calling all Fall 2010 Consortium Applicants (merged) bigfernhead 898 09 Sep 2009, 06:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  56    Next  [ 1110 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.